23 Oct 2003 19:58:09
Keith Hoy
Next year's insurance

On page 20 of the latest mag I was alarmed to read that an increase of
30-100+ % looks inevitable... Holy Cow!

So next year we will be paying anything from approximately 90-150 or more
for our 3rd party insurance.This in my opinion is out of hand,and out of the
question too for me because I simply can't afford it.I realise there are
some people who will take it on the chin and pay it whatever the price is
but I'd imagine there will also be quite a few who also will consider
quitting.

That might sound rash but a fondness for skydiving isn't enough incentive to
hand over that amount of cash and have nothing to show for it.Except for six
magazines of course,but somehow I doubt that will make much difference to
most people.It certainly won't for me.

I hope I'm wrong with this.If I am will someone please,please correct me.

keith :(

23 Oct 2003 14:29:52
ynotssor
Re: Next year's insurance

"Keith Hoy" <the_hoysterREMOVE@yahoo.co.uk > wrote in message

> On page 20 of the latest mag I was alarmed to read that an increase of
> 30-100+ % looks inevitable... Holy Cow!
>
> So next year we will be paying anything from approximately 90-150
> or more for our 3rd party insurance.This in my opinion is out of
> hand,and out of the question too for me because I simply can't afford
> it.I realise there are some people who will take it on the chin and
> pay it whatever the price is but I'd imagine there will also be quite
> a few who also will consider quitting.
>
> That might sound rash but a fondness for skydiving isn't enough
> incentive to hand over that amount of cash and have nothing to show
> for it.Except for six magazines of course,but somehow I doubt that
> will make much difference to most people.It certainly won't for me.
>
> I hope I'm wrong with this.If I am will someone please,please correct
> me.

There are many people who view insurance as a legal "organized crime".

--
use hotmail com for any email replies

Pat
Re: Next year's insurance

Keith Hoy wrote:
> On page 20 of the latest mag I was alarmed to read that an increase of
> 30-100+ % looks inevitable... Holy Cow!
>
> So next year we will be paying anything from approximately 90-150
> or more for our 3rd party insurance.This in my opinion is out of
> hand,and out of the question too for me because I simply can't afford
> it.I realise there are some people who will take it on the chin and
> pay it whatever the price is but I'd imagine there will also be quite
> a few who also will consider quitting.
>
> That might sound rash but a fondness for skydiving isn't enough
> incentive to hand over that amount of cash and have nothing to show
> for it.Except for six magazines of course,but somehow I doubt that
> will make much difference to most people.It certainly won't for me.
>
> I hope I'm wrong with this.If I am will someone please,please correct
> me.
>
> keith :(

I think you're basing your calculations on there being a 30-100% increase on
the total BPA membership price. Bear in mind that the insurance only makes
up part of the overall membership cost, your current 70 covers all the
other stuff like BPA admin, the magazines, sponsorship of teams & training
events & roadshows etc.

I've no idea exactly how much per person the insurance works out at, but
would be surprised if it's much over 20, so even the worse case scenario
should only add 20 to the membership cost.

So Cinders, you can still go to the ball next year, but you'll just have a
little less to spend in the bar :)

Cheers,

Pat

24 Oct 2003 18:10:39
Keith Hoy
Re: Next year's insurance

"Pat" <pat.kelly@dsl.pipex.com > wrote in message
> Keith Hoy wrote:
> > On page 20 of the latest mag I was alarmed to read that an increase of
> > 30-100+ % looks inevitable... Holy Cow!
> >
> > So next year we will be paying anything from approximately 90-150
> > or more for our 3rd party insurance.This in my opinion is out of
> > hand,and out of the question too for me because I simply can't afford
> > it.I realise there are some people who will take it on the chin and
> > pay it whatever the price is but I'd imagine there will also be quite
> > a few who also will consider quitting.
> >
> > That might sound rash but a fondness for skydiving isn't enough
> > incentive to hand over that amount of cash and have nothing to show
> > for it.Except for six magazines of course,but somehow I doubt that
> > will make much difference to most people.It certainly won't for me.
> >
> > I hope I'm wrong with this.If I am will someone please,please correct
> > me.
> >
> > keith :(
>

> I think you're basing your calculations on there being a 30-100% increase
on
> the total BPA membership price. Bear in mind that the insurance only
makes
> up part of the overall membership cost, your current 70 covers all the
> other stuff like BPA admin, the magazines, sponsorship of teams & training
> events & roadshows etc.
>
> I've no idea exactly how much per person the insurance works out at, but
> would be surprised if it's much over 20, so even the worse case scenario
> should only add 20 to the membership cost.
>
> So Cinders, you can still go to the ball next year, but you'll just have a
> little less to spend in the bar :)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Pat

Phew!
Thank you Fairy Godmother.What time is it you say I have to be home for?

keith :)