31 Oct 2003 08:45:21
Paul
New UK Wind Tunnel - Press Release

PRESS RELEASE - Extreme Bodyflight


Extreme Creations Ltd have today unveiled its plan to open the worlds
largest skydiving wind tunnel in Bedford UK. A former MOD testing site
is currently undergoing a major renovation to create a world leading
centre for skydiver and recreational use.

With a diameter of 16ft and creating wind speeds capable of sustaining
both flat and free-flight, the tunnel which is planned to open mid
2004 will be second to none.

Although the Bedford VST (Vertical Spinning Tunnel) has existed since
1955 it has never been used for bodyflight. Planning permission has
been granted for the project after several months research and
development. By utilising an existing facility Extreme Creations will
be able to offer an outstanding flight experience and incredible value
for money.

The tunnel will be the first of its kind in the UK and will host state
of the art training facilities and recreational areas staffed by
highly a skilled tuition team.


Visit www.extremebodyflight.co.uk for details and updates as the
project progresses.


31 Oct 2003 08:54:03
ynotssor
Re: New UK Wind Tunnel - Press Release

"Paul" <gbinline@hotmail.com > quoted in message
news:e52e3d0b.0310310845.6318a23e@posting.google.com

[...]
> Although the Bedford VST (Vertical Spinning Tunnel) ...
[...]

"Spinning"? Is a team going to have to take into account the Coriolis
parameter when doing transitions?

> The tunnel will be the first of its kind in the UK and will host state
> of the art training facilities and recreational areas staffed by
> highly a skilled tuition team.

A whole team of people skilled at collecting tuition?

Cheaper to skydive.


tony

--
use hotmail com for any email replies



-----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =-----
http://www.newsfeeds.com- The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
-----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----


31 Oct 2003 17:13:04
Craig Poxon
Re: New UK Wind Tunnel - Press Release

"Paul" <gbinline@hotmail.com > wrote in message
news:e52e3d0b.0310310845.6318a23e@posting.google.com...

> PRESS RELEASE - Extreme Bodyflight
>
>
> Extreme Creations Ltd have today unveiled its plan to open the worlds
> largest skydiving wind tunnel in Bedford UK. A former MOD testing site
> is currently undergoing a major renovation to create a world leading
> centre for skydiver and recreational use.
>
> With a diameter of 16ft and creating wind speeds capable of sustaining
> both flat and free-flight, the tunnel which is planned to open mid
> 2004 will be second to none.
>
> Although the Bedford VST (Vertical Spinning Tunnel) has existed since
> 1955 it has never been used for bodyflight. Planning permission has
> been granted for the project after several months research and
> development. By utilising an existing facility Extreme Creations will
> be able to offer an outstanding flight experience and incredible value
> for money.
>
> The tunnel will be the first of its kind in the UK and will host state
> of the art training facilities and recreational areas staffed by
> highly a skilled tuition team.
>
>
> Visit www.extremebodyflight.co.uk for details and updates as the
> project progresses.

Interesting. Been hearing rumours about this tunnel for years!

Does anyone know if this set up uses just the one impeller? I though all
"modern" wind tunnels used several fans to ensure a clean and up to the edge
coloumn of air?

--
Craig
D11665 FSB5
http://www.poxon.org/Craig/Skydive/




31 Oct 2003 17:18:48
Craig Poxon
Re: New UK Wind Tunnel - Press Release

"Craig Poxon" <craig@poxon.org.NOSPAM > wrote in message
news:bnu571$j49$0@pita.alt.net...

> > Visit www.extremebodyflight.co.uk for details and updates as the
> > project progresses.
>
> Interesting. Been hearing rumours about this tunnel for years!
>
> Does anyone know if this set up uses just the one impeller? I though all
> "modern" wind tunnels used several fans to ensure a clean and up to the
edge
> coloumn of air?
>

Answering my own question, from the faq at
http://www.gbinline.co.uk/BedfordVST/faq.html

How does the tunnel work?
Wind is blown around the tunnel by a VERY large fan propeller.
Spinning at around 1000rpm and producing wind over 100mph fliers are
supported on a column of air. Using this air and body movement... your'e
flying!


But my question about "modern" wind tunnels still stands...

--
Craig
D11665 FSB5
http://www.poxon.org/Craig/Skydive/




31 Oct 2003 17:26:09
Phil Hartree
Re: New UK Wind Tunnel - Press Release


> > > Visit www.extremebodyflight.co.uk for details and updates as the
> > > project progresses.



It's just like waiting for a bus....

:0/


--
Posted via Mailgate.ORG Server - http://www.Mailgate.ORG


31 Oct 2003 18:45:16
Andy
Re: New UK Wind Tunnel - Press Release

Phil, I was just about to say exactly the same thing! :-) I would assume
that both projects would know of each others plans. There was talk of this
Bedford location going around Nethers a couple of years ago.

I did wonder about the one prop but I'd like to think they know what they're
talking about and the research must have been done.

Andy

Skydive Zone
Tel: 07000 FREEFALL
0870 2000 933 / 944
Fax: 0870 2000 955
jump@skydivezone.co.uk
www.skydivezone.co.uk




31 Oct 2003 14:35:55
Paul
Re: New UK Wind Tunnel - Press Release

Hi both,

Happy to go over the technicalities....

A single fan does not affect the laminar flow any more than multiples.
The air flow is 'cleaned' by a series of mesh filters just prior to
the constriction to the flight chamber.

Multiple small fans are often used as they are cheaper, but as we dont
have the build cost for the tunnel... a single motor is acceptable
expense wise.

Blue skies

Paul