27 Oct 2006 12:03:39
Pierced Tiger
scuba diving

Hiya i want to learn how to scuba diven but i dont know where to start and
what is the best couse to go on? i really like enjoying photographer and i
was wondering if i can combo scuba diving and photograph together?

please help

27 Oct 2006 13:04:30
rads
Re: scuba diving

On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 12:03:39 GMT, "Pierced Tiger"
<piercedtiger@ntlworld.com > wrote:

>Hiya i want to learn how to scuba diven but i dont know where to start and
>what is the best couse to go on? i really like enjoying photographer and i
>was wondering if i can combo scuba diving and photograph together?
>
>please help

Where are you based?

We might be able to recommend a local organisation.

Re
>"i was wondering if i can combo scuba diving and photograph together?
>photography and scuba."

Yes, in time.

David

27 Oct 2006 16:13:48
Ken
Re: scuba diving

"Pierced Tiger" <piercedtiger@ntlworld.com > wrote in message
> Hiya i want to learn how to scuba diven but i dont know where to start and
> what is the best couse to go on? i really like enjoying photographer and i
> was wondering if i can combo scuba diving and photograph together?

Where are you, and yes. But get comfortable at diving before complicating it
for yourself by introducing cameras etc.

Ken

28 Oct 2006 15:21:17
Pierced Tiger
Re: scuba diving

i am based in Surrey, SO what the differenet between what the different
between PADI and BSAC?

"Ken" <ken@k1at.freeserve.co.uk > wrote in message

> "Pierced Tiger" <piercedtiger@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> > Hiya i want to learn how to scuba diven but i dont know where to start
and
> > what is the best couse to go on? i really like enjoying photographer and
> > was wondering if i can combo scuba diving and photograph together?
>
> Where are you, and yes. But get comfortable at diving before complicating
it
> for yourself by introducing cameras etc.
>
> Ken

28 Oct 2006 19:15:16
Keith Manning

>i am based in Surrey, SO what the differenet between what the different
> between PADI and BSAC?

http://www.ukrecscuba.org.uk/faq/

HTH

Keith

28 Oct 2006 20:17:25
Ken
Re: scuba diving

"Pierced Tiger" <piercedtiger@ntlworld.com > wrote in message
>i am based in Surrey, SO what the differenet between what the different
> between PADI and BSAC?

Loads or none, depending on your point of view - and all shades of grey in
between. There is no topic so often visited on a NG as this topic here, nor
is there a topic so able to bring out old prejudices and deeply held
convicitons among divers.

There are advantages and disadvantages to both. However, the longer you'ed
dived but more importantly the more you have dived, the less the differences
matter. With PADI you get wet very quickly - some say too quickly, and
"qualify" (some say) too easily and too quickly. OTOH with BSAC you take
(some say) too long to get wet and too long to qualify. Of course the
reality is that ultimately, regardless of which agency you train with, once
you get in the water the same physics and physiological constraints apply.
Ultimately it is up to you and no-one esle to hone your skills and make
yourself competent and safe, regardless of which agency you train with.

Your next question is, do I train in the UK or do I go abraod for it? Go to
your local dive outlets - look up the yellow pages, there should be a few
around you, and ask about costs - and ask about hidden costs too! For
example, a night away to do your open water skills might entail costs you
don't pay the PADI dive outlet or the BSAC club, but it is a cost you bear
all the same - as well as entrance fees to the various sites, air fills,
petrol etc. Once you have all the costs, comapre with going somewhere
pleasant. See www.explorers.co.uk for an example of what's on offer. (NOTE:
I have nothing to do with Explorers personally, I've travelled with them on
various occasions and know them, that's all)

Enjoy.

Ken

29 Oct 2006 20:38:31
Pierced Tiger
Re: scuba diving

I found a couple of scuba diving clubs where i live on do a PADI course and
the other one i not sure about as all it said is PADI and BSAC so i not sure

So is the BSAC the same price as PADI?

> "Pierced Tiger" <piercedtiger@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> >i am based in Surrey, SO what the differenet between what the different
> > between PADI and BSAC?
>
> Loads or none, depending on your point of view - and all shades of grey in
> between. There is no topic so often visited on a NG as this topic here,
nor
> is there a topic so able to bring out old prejudices and deeply held
> convicitons among divers.
>
> There are advantages and disadvantages to both. However, the longer you'ed
> dived but more importantly the more you have dived, the less the
differences
> matter. With PADI you get wet very quickly - some say too quickly, and
> "qualify" (some say) too easily and too quickly. OTOH with BSAC you take
> (some say) too long to get wet and too long to qualify. Of course the
> reality is that ultimately, regardless of which agency you train with,
once
> you get in the water the same physics and physiological constraints apply.
> Ultimately it is up to you and no-one esle to hone your skills and make
> yourself competent and safe, regardless of which agency you train with.
>
> Your next question is, do I train in the UK or do I go abraod for it? Go
> your local dive outlets - look up the yellow pages, there should be a few
> around you, and ask about costs - and ask about hidden costs too! For
> example, a night away to do your open water skills might entail costs you
> don't pay the PADI dive outlet or the BSAC club, but it is a cost you bear
> all the same - as well as entrance fees to the various sites, air fills,
> petrol etc. Once you have all the costs, comapre with going somewhere
> pleasant. See www.explorers.co.uk for an example of what's on offer.
(NOTE:
> I have nothing to do with Explorers personally, I've travelled with them
on
> various occasions and know them, that's all)
>
> Enjoy.
>
> Ken

29 Oct 2006 21:54:15
Nigel Hewitt
Re: scuba diving

Pierced Tiger wrote:
> I found a couple of scuba diving clubs where i live on do a PADI
> course and the other one i not sure about as all it said is PADI and
> BSAC so i not sure
>
> So is the BSAC the same price as PADI?

It cost to join the club, but that's what all the members pay.
I think the books cost but the rest is free.
This is a club not a company running a club to sell courses.

nigelH
I started as PADI trained but diving with a BSAC club

29 Oct 2006 23:25:28
Ken
Re: scuba diving

"Nigel Hewitt" <nigelhewitt@REMOVEhotmail.co.uk > wrote in message
> Pierced Tiger wrote:
>> I found a couple of scuba diving clubs where i live on do a PADI
>> course and the other one i not sure about as all it said is PADI and
>> BSAC so i not sure
>>
>> So is the BSAC the same price as PADI?
>
> It cost to join the club, but that's what all the members pay.
> I think the books cost but the rest is free.
> This is a club not a company running a club to sell courses.
>
> nigelH
> I started as PADI trained but diving with a BSAC club

I started with BSAC training ay Uni, and found after what seemed ages there
was almost a conspiracy to keep me out of the water! So I forgot it and a
few years ago went PADI and was wet immediately. Since dived with a mix of
BSAC and PADI types in the UK and abroad and frankly no-one cares. I've seen
excellent divers and questionable practices from people who've come from
either route.

Ken

06 Nov 2006 19:30:32
Rick Hughes
Re: scuba diving

"Pierced Tiger" <piercedtiger@ntlworld.com > wrote in message
>i am based in Surrey, SO what the differenet between what the different
> between PADI and BSAC?

hmm ... never seen that asked here before