27 May 2004 14:50:41
kk
Which smb?

Which would people here recommend a standard smb or auto inflate smb?

I suspect that the standard is the one to go for (cheaper - and Keep it
Simple). Any recommendations to look at?

whilst I am at it, can anyone recommend a very compact reel to go with the
smb?

thanks

27 May 2004 15:00:35
rads
Re: Which smb?

On Thu, 27 May 2004 14:50:41 +0100, "kk" <ww@ww.com > wrote:

>Which would people here recommend a standard smb or auto inflate smb?
>
>I suspect that the standard is the one to go for (cheaper - and Keep it
>Simple). Any recommendations to look at?
>
>whilst I am at it, can anyone recommend a very compact reel to go with the
>smb?
>
>thanks

3 main types of open ended smb

1) Open ended - need more skill / effort to launch without risk of
spilling air on surface
2) Sealed.- these have a non return valve in the neck which keeps air
in when the marker lies flat with the water on the surface.
3) Self inflating, with a small compressed gas cylinder.

I have had all 3; now use a self inflator as my primary (buddys smbi-
uses a 0.1l cylinder which is refilled from your main tank) and a
sealed buddy smb as my backup. My original open ended smb lives in the
garage.

SMBi is very easy to use but is bulky, I consider that an acceptable
downside for the fire and forget launch operation.

My reel is an MGE ratchet jobby, works OK.

Many here favour the large McMahon reel.

Just ensure you get something with a decent handle and a large enough
spool that reeling in a lot of line is not going to require endless
twiddling of a tiny little knob.

Big review of reels here
http://www.divernet.com/equipment/0701reelsextra.htm

27 May 2004 15:07:18
rads
Re: Which smb?

On Thu, 27 May 2004 14:50:41 +0100, "kk" <ww@ww.com > wrote:

>Which would people here recommend a standard smb or auto inflate smb?
>
>I suspect that the standard is the one to go for (cheaper - and Keep it
>Simple). Any recommendations to look at?
>
>whilst I am at it, can anyone recommend a very compact reel to go with the
>smb?
>
>thanks

Oops, just saw you specifically requested a very compact reel.

As I mentioned before, winding a lot of line onto a very small reel
can become tedious.

The buddy pocket reel is one of the most compact on the market, but I
haven't used one so can't comment on its functionality or quality.

David

27 May 2004 15:33:06
kk
Re: Which smb?

Thanks for the link and suggestions. will have a look

> Oops, just saw you specifically requested a very compact reel.
>
> As I mentioned before, winding a lot of line onto a very small reel
> can become tedious.

Can see your point. thinking about a smb/reel I can carry all the time even
through I dont think I will require it.

> The buddy pocket reel is one of the most compact on the market, but I
> haven't used one so can't comment on its functionality or quality.

Thanks again

27 May 2004 15:40:42
Ben Panter
Re: Which smb?

kk wrote:
> Which would people here recommend a standard smb or auto inflate smb?

I like the buddy sealing ones. I have a standard version and the self
inflating version. I really, really like the self inflating one,
although often practise inflating it manually when I forget to fill the
little bottle.

> whilst I am at it, can anyone recommend a very compact reel to go with the
> smb?

I only like big ones - I find smart little reels too fiddly for XXL
hands in thick gloves. I've just invested in a spool to see how I fare
with one of them - very small and easily stowed.

I had a very nice Northern Diver one, cheap as chips and lasted me about
4 years. Then it came between my behind and the seat and now it is an
ex-reel. I've got an old McMahon (sp?) one which I use now, doesn't feel
quite as nice though - the handle flexes slightly.

Ben

--
Ben Panter, Edinburgh
My name (no spaces)@bigfoot which is a com.

27 May 2004 15:51:53
Bardo
Re: Which smb?

"kk" <ww@ww.com > wrote in message
> Which would people here recommend a standard smb or auto inflate smb?
>
> I suspect that the standard is the one to go for (cheaper - and Keep it
> Simple). Any recommendations to look at?

Personally I have two SMBs - a Buddy Self Inflating (SMBCi)...

http://www.apvalves.com/SMBCi.html

and a Halcyon closed circuit SMB...

http://www.halcyon.net/mc/dam.shtml

And I love them both. I tend to use the self inflator as my primary SMB on
deeper dives and keep the Halcyon tucked away in my backplate pocket as a
backup. For shallower stuff, I just take the Halcyon...

> whilst I am at it, can anyone recommend a very compact reel to go with the
> smb?

Personally I love the Halcyon 'Defender' spools - they take a bit of getting
used to but once you've got the knack of them, you'll swear by them...

http://www.halcyon.net/guideline/index.shtml

I used to own a Buddy Pocket reel but the thing jammed on me a couple of
times so I soon dumped it. The beauty of the Halcyon spools is their
simplicity - because there's no moving parts, there's nothing to jam!

27 May 2004 16:06:09
CAS
Re: Which smb?

"rads" <radsxxunspamxx@davidradley.freeserve.co.uk > wrote in message
> On Thu, 27 May 2004 14:50:41 +0100, "kk" <ww@ww.com> wrote:
>
> >Which would people here recommend a standard smb or auto inflate smb?
> >
> >I suspect that the standard is the one to go for (cheaper - and Keep it
> >Simple). Any recommendations to look at?
> >
> >whilst I am at it, can anyone recommend a very compact reel to go with
the
> >smb?
> >
> >thanks
> >
> Oops, just saw you specifically requested a very compact reel.
>
> As I mentioned before, winding a lot of line onto a very small reel
> can become tedious.
>
> The buddy pocket reel is one of the most compact on the market, but I
> haven't used one so can't comment on its functionality or quality.
>
> David

The buddy pocket reel is that closed in thing isn't it? If it is it is
bloody horrible - get the bodaine mini reel instead. It rocks.

CAS
--
Temperature @ Stoney? Find it or share it @
http://stoneytemps.calumscott.me.uk/

27 May 2004 16:21:12
Pete Melbourne
Re: Which smb?

On Thu, 27 May 2004 15:07:18 +0100, rads
<radsxxunspamxx@davidradley.freeserve.co.uk > wrote:

>The buddy pocket reel is one of the most compact on the market, but I
>haven't used one so can't comment on its functionality or quality.

Do you want one? You can have mine; it is shite.

Small McMahon is not a lot bigger but works, fits in dry suit pocket
with self sealing buddy blob no problems.

Still use a big McM as primary on anything over 20m though because I
get bored winding the little one
--
Pete

news 'at' melbourne 'dot' me 'dot' uk

27 May 2004 16:25:52
Pete Melbourne
Re: Which smb?

On Thu, 27 May 2004 15:51:53 +0100, "Bardo" <me@privacy.net > wrote:

>and a Halcyon closed circuit SMB...
>
>http://www.halcyon.net/mc/dam.shtml

What are they like? I looked at one last weekend in Portland and did
not like the look of it for a couple of reasons

1 - there is no way I want to attach a blob to me as I am launching it
2 - disconnecting a wing/suit direct feed then reconnecting it
afterwards seems a bit of a faff compared to sticking a reg in a bag

But I have not used one so my miss givings may be miss placed
--
Pete

news 'at' melbourne 'dot' me 'dot' uk

27 May 2004 15:19:03
Nigel Hewitt
Re: Which smb?

kk wrote:
> Which would people here recommend a standard smb or auto inflate smb?
>
> I suspect that the standard is the one to go for (cheaper - and Keep it
> Simple). Any recommendations to look at?

I think the Buddy self inflator is a majority UKRS product.
Well I certainly wound a lot of them back up last weekend
on Daniel's Brighton trip.

I have a self inflator and reel that hang on my right side
that I can pull off and fire in seconds (eg: Saturday when
something snagged DannyB's at about 15m). I also carry a
simple Buddy self sealer (same thing but without the crack
bottle) with a spool stuffed in a pocket. Rebreather divers
who ascend without much in the way of bubbles like blobs
to keep the outboard props away.

Definitely get a self sealer at minimum what ever make you
go for so once you have filled it it can't tip over and
spill its gas. You don't always want to be pulling down on
the blob to keep it standing up or it tends to pull you
upright in the water.

> whilst I am at it, can anyone recommend a very compact reel
> to go with the smb?

No I wouldn't recomend a 'very compact' reel as when it jams
you just have to let go. On the reel front get one with a
closed loop handle so you can poke your fingers through and
trap it and still use the hand. If you have to hold the handle
you can't use the hand any more without the temptation to clip
it back onto yourself which can be bad news.

I have a smallish McMallon reel with a ratchet which jams more
often than a big one but is better than a tiny one. I tend to
view ratchets as DSMB reels and the friction reels as 'Ariadne'
wreck lines.

HTH
nigelH

27 May 2004 15:32:25
Gordon Henderson
Re: Which smb?

In article <kjmtc.25873$FV7.18234@doctor.cableinet.net >, kk <ww@ww.com> wrote:
>Which would people here recommend a standard smb or auto inflate smb?
>
>I suspect that the standard is the one to go for (cheaper - and Keep it
>Simple). Any recommendations to look at?

AP Valves "Twist 'n' Go" ..

>whilst I am at it, can anyone recommend a very compact reel to go with the
>smb?

I have an APV mini reel, but it's only for emergencies. My main reel
is a beaver thing. I've had 2 mini-McMahons explode on me, but I hear
they now supply a nylock nut on them...

My main reel is smaller than a standard McMahon unit made my Oceanic,
but I think I've also seen them with a Beaver sticker on. It has 86m
of line.

Gordon

27 May 2004 16:38:42
Bardo
Re: Which smb?

"Pete Melbourne" <psmvsl@yahoo.co.uk > wrote in message
> On Thu, 27 May 2004 15:51:53 +0100, "Bardo" <me@privacy.net> wrote:
>
> >and a Halcyon closed circuit SMB...
> >
> >http://www.halcyon.net/mc/dam.shtml
>
> What are they like? I looked at one last weekend in Portland and did
> not like the look of it for a couple of reasons
>
> 1 - there is no way I want to attach a blob to me as I am launching it

Hehe. Yes, I felt the same but the beauty of the Halcyon is that it uses a
non-locking mechamism that - in theory - should never stick. Basically you
disconnect your dry suit feed (you'll need a Si-Tech-style inflator) and
simply slide it onto the Halcyon inflator nozzle. Inflation doesn't actually
start until you press the two ends together so you've got time to check that
everything is ready before pumping gas into the smb. Once it's got enough
gas, you simply let go off the SMB and it disconnects with no resistance at
all as the drysuit feed is simply slipping off a smooth barrel.

> 2 - disconnecting a wing/suit direct feed then reconnecting it
> afterwards seems a bit of a faff compared to sticking a reg in a bag

Not really - I actually find it less hassle than switching regs (I use a
long hose so I always had to inflate off my primary second stage). All I do
now is disconnect my dry suit feed, loop it over my left arm, inflate, loop
it back under and then reconnect - easy!

> But I have not used one so my miss givings may be miss placed
> --
> Pete
>
> news 'at' melbourne 'dot' me 'dot' uk

27 May 2004 16:44:18
Pete Melbourne
Re: Which smb?

On Thu, 27 May 2004 16:38:42 +0100, "Bardo" <me@privacy.net > wrote:

>"Pete Melbourne" <psmvsl@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 27 May 2004 15:51:53 +0100, "Bardo" <me@privacy.net> wrote:
>>
>> >and a Halcyon closed circuit SMB...
>> >
>> >http://www.halcyon.net/mc/dam.shtml
>>
>> What are they like? I looked at one last weekend in Portland and did
>> not like the look of it for a couple of reasons
>>
>> 1 - there is no way I want to attach a blob to me as I am launching it
>
>Hehe. Yes, I felt the same but the beauty of the Halcyon is that it uses a
>non-locking mechamism that - in theory - should never stick. Basically you
>disconnect your dry suit feed (you'll need a Si-Tech-style inflator) and
>simply slide it onto the Halcyon inflator nozzle. Inflation doesn't actually
>start until you press the two ends together so you've got time to check that
>everything is ready before pumping gas into the smb. Once it's got enough
>gas, you simply let go off the SMB and it disconnects with no resistance at
>all as the drysuit feed is simply slipping off a smooth barrel.

Fair enough.

>> 2 - disconnecting a wing/suit direct feed then reconnecting it
>> afterwards seems a bit of a faff compared to sticking a reg in a bag
>
>Not really - I actually find it less hassle than switching regs (I use a
>long hose so I always had to inflate off my primary second stage). All I do
>now is disconnect my dry suit feed, loop it over my left arm, inflate, loop
>it back under and then reconnect - easy!

I use a long hose as well, but I just get the blob ready take the
primary out of my mouth, inflate and put it back - as it only takes
two or three seconds its not an issue.

All in all I'll stick to the old fashioned way until I can afford two
DSMBi's
--
Pete

news 'at' melbourne 'dot' me 'dot' uk

27 May 2004 22:57:53
David Walker
Re: Which smb?

> As I mentioned before, winding a lot of line onto a very small reel
> can become tedious.

I've used a lot of different reels (club ones before I got my own), and most
of those were small-medium sized. I don't find the reel size itself makes a
huge difference, just make sure you get one with a decent handle you can
use! A *LOT* of the reels sold in the UK have piddly little knobs on that
are next to useless with thick gloves and hands getting cold (since you use
it at the end of the dive), and I just found them terrible - I ended up
spreading my fingers around the rim and twisting rather than trying to use
the tiny knob, only way I could wind it in. The reel i've got is a 50m
compact one, its branded Oceanic but i've seen something identical from
N-Diver and I think someone else too. Has a real handle on, something long
enough to actually use your hand rather than the tips of your fingers, and
never had a problem since I got it. Its certainly not the best reel in the
world by any means, it probably won't last as long as a lot of the others,
but it is so nice to use I don't care if I have to replace it in a year or
two - it was only 25 or so, and well worth it in my opinion.

David

27 May 2004 23:04:51
David Walker
Re: Which smb?

> Which would people here recommend a standard smb or auto inflate smb?

Auto-inflate would be nice, but a normal (well, self-sealing) is fine.
Auto-inflate's are expensive, and are only really a convenience for most
diving, saves a bit of effort. For people who do deep long dives i've seen
the argument that the time saved is more time on the wreck or whatever, but
personally I don't do dives so deep/long that that is an issue.
Self-sealing types take just seconds to deploy with a bit of practice.

David

28 May 2004 06:56:51
Gordon Henderson
Re: Which smb?

In article <c95om0$5ls$1@wisteria.csv.warwick.ac.uk >,
David Walker <wbsdavenews@hotmail.com > wrote:
>> Which would people here recommend a standard smb or auto inflate smb?
>
>Auto-inflate would be nice, but a normal (well, self-sealing) is fine.
>Auto-inflate's are expensive, and are only really a convenience for most
>diving, saves a bit of effort. For people who do deep long dives i've seen
>the argument that the time saved is more time on the wreck or whatever, but
>personally I don't do dives so deep/long that that is an issue.
>Self-sealing types take just seconds to deploy with a bit of practice.

With a "twist & go" you can use it at arms length, no wories about getting
snagged up in it if you fill it from regulator exhaust, no fiddling with
octopus or buddy either. Almost essential for rebreather divers...

Gordon

28 May 2004 09:27:37
Pete Melbourne
Re: Which smb?

On Thu, 27 May 2004 16:21:12 +0100, Pete Melbourne
<psmvsl@yahoo.co.uk > wrote:

>On Thu, 27 May 2004 15:07:18 +0100, rads
><radsxxunspamxx@davidradley.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>The buddy pocket reel is one of the most compact on the market, but I
>>haven't used one so can't comment on its functionality or quality.
>
>Do you want one? You can have mine; it is shite.
>
>Small McMahon is not a lot bigger but works, fits in dry suit pocket
>with self sealing buddy blob no problems.
>
>Still use a big McM as primary on anything over 20m though because I
>get bored winding the little one

rads - I've emailed you but not sure if its gone through, what's the
correct addy?

Pete
diving 'at' melbourne 'dot' me 'dot' uk

28 May 2004 10:02:45
rads
Re: Which smb?

On Fri, 28 May 2004 09:27:37 +0100, Pete Melbourne <psmvsl@yahoo.com >
wrote:

>rads - I've emailed you but not sure if its gone through, what's the
>correct addy?
>
>Pete
>diving 'at' melbourne 'dot' me 'dot' uk

You have mail!

David

09 Jun 2004 17:09:13
Manic Grin
Re: Which smb?

>Which would people here recommend a standard smb or auto inflate smb?
>
>I suspect that the standard is the one to go for (cheaper - and Keep it
>Simple). Any recommendations to look at?
>
>whilst I am at it, can anyone recommend a very compact reel to go with the
>smb?
>
>thanks

I've got an OMS Cavern reel which does the job nicely. Also have a
Buddy mini-reel for emergencies only as it's crap- whoever designed
the housing needs a good kicking as it has a smooth casing which is
impossible to grip properly. You end up with hand cramp after winding
in only 10m of line.

Have heard nice things about the Kent Tooling stuff but never used one
myself. Nice and shiny, though.

24 Jun 2004 21:52:31
Hywel Davies
Re: Which smb?

"kk" <ww@ww.com > wrote in message
> Which would people here recommend a standard smb or auto inflate smb?

With the caveat that I'm only just past novice status, this may still be of
some help. I initially bought a the Buddy DSMB (without tank) because of
simplicity, risk of accidently setting off the tank model, and to a lesser
extent, cost. However I'd only used it a couple of times before I went out
and bought the one with a little tank which you fill from your main
cylinder. You can still fill it manually if you've forgotten, and I suppose
you could even do without the little tank if for any reason you wanted to.
Here is my reasoning - you are setting off the SMB at the end of your dive,
when you're relatively low on air, and want to be heading up, you may be
affected by narcosis to an extent and any extra faff, delay stress of using
your octo, or removing your main reg or whatever, you can do without. In
cold fresh water there is also some risk of a free flow. I think most of
these points are more valid for people of our limited experience than for
experts who will manage quite well with the other kind. I'd originally
(wrongly) believed that the tank variety was only available in A-clamp, and
couldn't be filled "manually" - neither of these is true; mine is DIN, and
has the open (self-sealing) bottom just like the non-tank one. I minimise
the admited risk of it being set off accidentaly by doing up the valve
reasonably tight, wrapping the thing up well, and stowing it is well as I
can.

So my vote - get the one with the little tank.

Reels - I bought the little one made of black plastic with a luminous
ratchet handle. The ratchet is easily operated by my thumb, I'd probably
still buy the little one although you do have to wind the handle a lot. I'm
happy with this unit.

Cheers

Hywel

24 Jun 2004 22:17:36
Iain Smith
Re: Which smb?

> >Hehe. Yes, I felt the same but the beauty of the Halcyon is
> > that it uses a non-locking mechamism that - in theory -
> > should never stick. Basically you disconnect your dry suit
> > feed (you'll need a Si-Tech-style inflator) and simply
> > slide it onto the Halcyon inflator nozzle. Inflation
> > doesn't actually start until you press the two ends
> > together so you've got time to check that everything is
> > ready before pumping gas into the smb. Once it's got enough
> > gas, you simply let go off the SMB and it disconnects with
> > no resistance at all as the drysuit feed is simply slipping
> > off a smooth barrel.
>
> Fair enough.

As some will know I got hold of a non-locking connnector and bodged my own
version of this, which has worked reasonably well over the past couple of
seasons.

One thing that I have found about having to play the disconnect/reconnect
game is that occasionally it's a complete pain trying to get the hose back
on. (Don't think it was lack of practice) What can be worse is the nasty
splash of cold water you get into the suit - it shouldn't be all that much,
but I've found ti quite noticable.

However, I've got to the stage that I'd rather have a second red DSMB to
send to the surface in case I let go of the main one, rather than sending a
yellow (which tends to get people all excited - see the "extra gas" thread!)

So I bought one of the small Halcyon DSMBs to see how it would compare.

Beautiful, beautiful piece of kit. And what's even better is that it's small
enough that I can fully inflate it from a single breath on the surface. At
which point, I no longer see the point in disconnecting my suit - a half
breath out into the DSMB at depth and it's still completely controllable
before I release it...but is completely full on the surface when it arrives
there.

I'm sure some would love to accuse me of being blinded by the brand, but I
have to say that I genuinely believe that Halcyon have simply got it right.
Again.

Iain

25 Jun 2004 06:45:41
Nigel Hewitt
Re: Which smb?

Hywel Davies <hywel@hywel-ros.freeserve.co.uk > wrote:

> I minimise
> the admited risk of it being set off accidentaly by doing up the valve
> reasonably tight, wrapping the thing up well, and stowing it is well as I
> can.

I was wondering what would happen if my Buddy DSMBi set itself
off in a pocket so I tried just opening the valve with it all wrapped
up. It just all blew off through the OPV and the velcro held it still
rolled up.

nigelH

27 Jun 2004 21:40:54
Hywel Davies
Re: Which smb?

"Nigel Hewitt" <news@REMOVETHISnigelhewitt.co.uk > wrote in message
> Hywel Davies <hywel@hywel-ros.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > I minimise
> > the admited risk of it being set off accidentaly by doing up the valve
> > reasonably tight, wrapping the thing up well, and stowing it is well as
> > can.
>
> I was wondering what would happen if my Buddy DSMBi set itself
> off in a pocket so I tried just opening the valve with it all wrapped
> up. It just all blew off through the OPV and the velcro held it still
> rolled up.
>
> nigelH

That's comforting to know. Mine doesn't fit in my (suit) pocket; at least
not with the reel atatched, but sounds like a good experiment to try next
time I dive at the beach.

On a related matter, I've tied my string directly to the buoy thus doing
away with the little clip. However, most people seem to have a clip and
often stow the buoy seperately from the reel. Is there any reason for not
directly tieing on ? My reasoning was that it's one less potential faff at
going home time - but there may be a good counter argument ?

Hywel

27 Jun 2004 22:39:54
Keith Lawrence
Re: Which smb?

"Hywel Davies" <hywel@hywel-ros.freeserve.co.uk > wrote ...

> On a related matter, I've tied my string directly to the buoy
> thus doing away with the little clip. However, most people
> seem to have a clip and often stow the buoy seperately from
> the reel. Is there any reason for not directly tieing on ?
> My reasoning was that it's one less potential faff at
> going home time - but there may be a good counter argument ?

I have a clip on mine because I've got several DSMB's, I use whichever one
takes mt fancy (normally the DSMBi) and sometimes a SMB. One of the main
reasons for keeping things separate is stowage, it's one hell of a lump all
assembled. It's never caused me a problem because I stow the whole assembly
behind me clipped to the lower (upper - inverted twins) D ring on the
cylinders. Pictures here
http://www.ukrecscuba.org.uk/ukdiver/dsmb/index.html

Keith L

28 Jun 2004 07:49:20
Gordon Henderson
Re: Which smb?

In article <40df3eaa$0$58819$5a6aecb4@news.aaisp.net.uk >,
Keith Lawrence <false@nospam.com > wrote:
>"Hywel Davies" <hywel@hywel-ros.freeserve.co.uk> wrote ...
>
>> On a related matter, I've tied my string directly to the buoy
>> thus doing away with the little clip. However, most people
>> seem to have a clip and often stow the buoy seperately from
>> the reel. Is there any reason for not directly tieing on ?
>> My reasoning was that it's one less potential faff at
>> going home time - but there may be a good counter argument ?
>
>I have a clip on mine because I've got several DSMB's, I use whichever one
>takes mt fancy (normally the DSMBi) and sometimes a SMB. One of the main
>reasons for keeping things separate is stowage, it's one hell of a lump all
>assembled. It's never caused me a problem because I stow the whole assembly
>behind me clipped to the lower (upper - inverted twins) D ring on the
>cylinders. Pictures here
>http://www.ukrecscuba.org.uk/ukdiver/dsmb/index.html

My reel is separate so I can use it to line off from the shot-line in
times of poor visibility, or for wreck penetration when it looks like
there might not be a clear exit...

Gordon

28 Jun 2004 09:38:57
Keith Lawrence
Re: Which smb?

"Gordon Henderson" <gordon@auntyspume.drogon.net > wrote ...

> My reel is separate so I can use it to line off from the
> shot-line in times of poor visibility, or for wreck penetration
> when it looks like there might not be a clear exit...

Personal choice (there - that will upset the DIR'ers). If I need to reel off
then I've got a didi McMahon that's great for that but useless for blobbing.
I don't do wreck penetration but if I did I would stow differently, I'd
still keep the assembled mass as my quick "fire and forget" comfort blanket
though.

Keith L

28 Jun 2004 10:01:07
Gordon Henderson
Re: Which smb?

In article <40dfd921$0$58817$5a6aecb4@news.aaisp.net.uk >,
Keith Lawrence <false@nospam.com > wrote:
>"Gordon Henderson" <gordon@auntyspume.drogon.net> wrote ...
>
>> My reel is separate so I can use it to line off from the
>> shot-line in times of poor visibility, or for wreck penetration
>> when it looks like there might not be a clear exit...
>
>Personal choice (there - that will upset the DIR'ers). If I need to reel off
>then I've got a didi McMahon that's great for that but useless for blobbing.
>I don't do wreck penetration but if I did I would stow differently, I'd
>still keep the assembled mass as my quick "fire and forget" comfort blanket
>though.

I do carry a smaller one, but the big one is just too convenient!

I did see a rather intersting thing recently though - the use of cylume
light sticks to mark exits from a wreck - this was on a wreck with
relatively good visibility though (The Zenobia in Cyprus - it seems
divers use them there to mark the exit from the engine room) Not sure
who well this might work in the murky waters of the UK though!!!

Gordon