27 Aug 2003 06:33:12
nickjb
Suunto SPG (SM-26)

Anyone know where I can get a Suunto SM-26. According to Suunto they
don't export this model to the UK. I can only find the SM-36. The
SM-26 is identical to the SM-36 except the scale is set-up for 232 bar
tanks. I know I can use the bigger scale but I'd prefer the smaller
scale as it will be clearer.

Thanks
Nick


29 Aug 2003 06:58:39
Tony
Re: Suunto SPG (SM-26)

You would be better off with the SM36 as it will not be affected if your
cylinders are overfilled.

If you have difficulty reading gauges then maybe you should use a gauge with
a larger face than the SM36, such as the Apeks or US Divers brass bodied
gauges, or investigate eyesight correction.

There are several companies that can put a correction lens inside the bottom
of one or both of your mask lenses so it would not affect your distance
vision but can act as a reading lens.


"nickjb" <nickjbanks@hotmail.com > wrote in message
news:ec083887.0308270533.1114a9b0@posting.google.com...
> Anyone know where I can get a Suunto SM-26. According to Suunto they
> don't export this model to the UK. I can only find the SM-36. The
> SM-26 is identical to the SM-36 except the scale is set-up for 232 bar
> tanks. I know I can use the bigger scale but I'd prefer the smaller
> scale as it will be clearer.
>
> Thanks
> Nick




29 Aug 2003 01:59:24
nickjb
Re: Suunto SPG (SM-26)

"Tony" <tony@samesamediving.com > wrote in message news:<bimtiv$spr$1@titan.btinternet.com>...
> You would be better off with the SM36 as it will not be affected if your
> cylinders are overfilled.

If my cylinder is filled to over 280 bar then I may have other things
to worry about. I certainly wont be going back for a second fill. :)

>
> If you have difficulty reading gauges then maybe you should use a gauge with
> a larger face than the SM36, such as the Apeks or US Divers brass bodied
> gauges, or investigate eyesight correction.

I like the compact SM26, Suunto make and sell it, I want to buy one.
Hence my post. The Apeks gauge is nice but it has a 450 bar full
scale so for normal diving one only ends up a tiny part of the scale.

>
> There are several companies that can put a correction lens inside the bottom
> of one or both of your mask lenses so it would not affect your distance
> vision but can act as a reading lens.

My eyesight is fine. I can even read my gauges without my mask on
(just about)
>

>
> "nickjb" <nickjbanks@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:ec083887.0308270533.1114a9b0@posting.google.com...
> > Anyone know where I can get a Suunto SM-26. According to Suunto they
> > don't export this model to the UK. I can only find the SM-36. The
> > SM-26 is identical to the SM-36 except the scale is set-up for 232 bar
> > tanks. I know I can use the bigger scale but I'd prefer the smaller
> > scale as it will be clearer.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Nick


29 Aug 2003 09:18:19
Pete Young
Re: Suunto SPG (SM-26)

Tony <tony@samesamediving.com > writes:

>You would be better off with the SM36 as it will not be affected if your
>cylinders are overfilled.

If your 232 bar cylinders are overfilled to more than 300 bar, the
gauge is going to be the last of your problems!

>"nickjb" <nickjbanks@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>news:ec083887.0308270533.1114a9b0@posting.google.com...
>> Anyone know where I can get a Suunto SM-26. According to Suunto they
>> don't export this model to the UK. I can only find the SM-36. The
>> SM-26 is identical to the SM-36 except the scale is set-up for 232 bar
>> tanks. I know I can use the bigger scale but I'd prefer the smaller
>> scale as it will be clearer.

Uwatec make a brass-bodied mineral SPG called the Master Diver
Pressure Gauge. I can't find this in the UK, but I got mine from Deepstop
in Germany.
http://www.deepstop.de/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=84but a tad
pricy at 79 Euros.

There is also a steel 300 bar aqualung gauge
http://www.deepstop.de/catalog/default.php?language=en
which seems very reasonable at 38 Euros.


Pete

--
____________________________________________________________________
Pete Young pete@antipope.org
"Just another crouton, floating on the bouillabaisse of life"