28 Dec 2003 13:30:22
Alrik
St. Johns Egypt, Who has been there ?

Hi,

We are planning a liveaboard at the beginning of october 2004 to the
Deep South / St. Johns Reefs. We have been diving in Egypt several
times, how does the St. Johns compare to for example the Brothers and
the North Route ?

Any advice on good liveaboards is also more than welcome !

Thank you from a rainy Holland......

Alrik

28 Dec 2003 13:10:34
Nigel Hewitt
Re: St. Johns Egypt, Who has been there ?

"Alrik" <alrik@wanadoo.nl > wrote
> We are planning a liveaboard at the beginning of october 2004 to the
> Deep South / St. Johns Reefs. We have been diving in Egypt several
> times, how does the St. Johns compare to for example the Brothers and
> the North Route ?

I did St. John's a couple of years ago and really didn't see much
difference from other places in the area. One was spectacular from
a geology point being vertical sided from just below the water down
forever - like diving round a large factory chimney but on it was coral,
fish, you know the usual stuff, plus lots of baby sharks which was fun.

Personally I prefer the northern circuit because, although the good
places are infested with day boats, you get large lumps of interesting
rusty metal and doing a relatively intact wreck in 20+m vis is magic.

Probably somebody who knows their marine biology will be horrified
at what I missed seeing but I wouldn't bother to go back.

nigelH

03 Jan 2004 01:04:06
michael2

"Nigel Hewitt" <nigelh@REMOVETHISnigelhewitt.net > wrote in message news:<bsmkoa$t25$1@hercules.btinternet.com>...
> "Alrik" <alrik@wanadoo.nl> wrote
> > We are planning a liveaboard at the beginning of october 2004 to the
> > Deep South / St. Johns Reefs. We have been diving in Egypt several
> > times, how does the St. Johns compare to for example the Brothers and
> > the North Route ?

Which Deep south are you doing there a two called this the one
concentraits on St Johns which as Nigle says is very much pinnicle
diving but often lots of shark life. The other one does St Johns but
also Elphinstone, Deadelus and to my mind is a better option but
others may differ. John G has posted a trip report on this and there
is another one posted by somebody else if you search.

03 Jan 2004 06:26:36
michael2

colinpjenkins@hotmail.com (michael2) wrote in message news:<d55d3342.0401030104.4aa29c26@posting.google.com >...
> "Nigel Hewitt" <nigelh@REMOVETHISnigelhewitt.net> wrote in message news:<bsmkoa$t25$1@hercules.btinternet.com>...
> > "Alrik" <alrik@wanadoo.nl> wrote
> > > We are planning a liveaboard at the beginning of october 2004 to the
> > > Deep South / St. Johns Reefs. We have been diving in Egypt several
> > > times, how does the St. Johns compare to for example the Brothers and
> > > the North Route ?
> >
> Which Deep south are you doing there a two called this the one
> concentraits on St Johns which as Nigle says is very much pinnicle
> diving but often lots of shark life. The other one does St Johns but
> also Elphinstone, Deadelus and to my mind is a better option but
> others may differ. John G has posted a trip report on this and there
> is another one posted by somebody else if you search.

Oops
Wrong forum its Divernet desination forum that have the trip reports.