05 Oct 2006 04:55:00
Info on digital camera characteristics for scuba diving

Hy,
this saturday with a friend of mine we had an immersion at Tor paterno,
near Rome,
It was two year that we don't have scuba diving, last time was in Sharm
in 2004, Raskati and Shark & Jolanda,

Now I would want to buy a digital photo camera, have you any idea of
which one is the best at the moment for diving application ??

I'm interestetd also to know the following:

1) Which zoom is the best suitable for diving, 10x or there are problem
wih the focus ??

2) It is a good idea to buy a camera with high iso, maybe 1600 or 3200
to avoid usage of lamp ?? Which iso is best fitted ??

Many thanks,

Antonio
www.etantonio.it/en/sport/diving/

05 Oct 2006 06:27:05
Normal
Re: Info on digital camera characteristics for scuba diving

It depends on how serious you want to be. Pretty much all digital
cameras will give reasonable results but to get anything even remotely
"pro" looking you need an external light source. I use a compact
digital (Canon IXUS400) which is fine when combined with a light source
for close up work.

The other thing to bear in mind is that carrying and using a camera
will result in much higher air use - a general rule of thumpb is about
25% - 30% more air if you are carrying and using a camera.

05 Oct 2006 15:27:55
Ken

<etantonio@gmail.com > wrote in message
> Hy,
> this saturday with a friend of mine we had an immersion at Tor paterno,
> near Rome,
> It was two year that we don't have scuba diving, last time was in Sharm
> in 2004, Raskati and Shark & Jolanda,
>
> Now I would want to buy a digital photo camera, have you any idea of
> which one is the best at the moment for diving application ??

There is no such thing as a "best camera". If there was, everyone would be
using it! There are many cameras which get good results, which one you go
for depends on what you think is important. A good way to decide is to
choose from the relatively limited range of cameras for which there is a
case available.

Within that, there are some choices according to make. For example, Olympus
cases have lens ports which are threaded so you can very easily add
accessories such as filters and wide-angle lenses. Canon OTOH does NOT have
threaded ports and while you can add accessories in front of your lens, it
becomes much more expensive and more difficult to organise.

> I'm interestetd also to know the following:
>
> 1) Which zoom is the best suitable for diving, 10x or there are problem
> wih the focus ??

I use an Olympus c750uz (now obsolete) which has a 10x zoom. The zoom was
NOT a reason for buying this camera, and I would say that such a powerful
zoom is USELESS underwater - 3x or 4x is the most you might use. There are
no problems focussing.

> 2) It is a good idea to buy a camera with high iso, maybe 1600 or 3200
> to avoid usage of lamp ?? Which iso is best fitted ??

The higher ISO, the more the noise (grain) on the image. The best solution,
whether you want to fit one or not, is to fit an external flash. This
restores the colour, and allows you to use fast shutter speeds (to freeze
movement) with low ISO settings (with low grain).

Ciao

Ken

05 Oct 2006 21:05:19
Monroe

"Normal" <normannnormal@hotmail.co.uk > wrote in message
> The other thing to bear in mind is that carrying and using a camera
> will result in much higher air use - a general rule of thumpb is about
> 25% - 30% more air if you are carrying and using a camera.

Keh? Can't say I've ever found that but there ya go...

06 Oct 2006 09:05:20
Barry

etantonio@gmail.com wrote:
> Hy,
> this saturday with a friend of mine we had an immersion at Tor paterno,
> near Rome,
> It was two year that we don't have scuba diving, last time was in Sharm
> in 2004, Raskati and Shark & Jolanda,
>
> Now I would want to buy a digital photo camera, have you any idea of
> which one is the best at the moment for diving application ??
>
> I'm interestetd also to know the following:
>
> 1) Which zoom is the best suitable for diving, 10x or there are problem
> wih the focus ??

It depends what sort of water you're diving in. High zoom is obviously
great for getting shots of distant objects and good photos of fish
without getting close enough to scare them off. But, if you're diving in
low visibility water it also means there is much more dirt in the water
between camera and subject which tends to ruin the photos.

> 2) It is a good idea to buy a camera with high iso, maybe 1600 or 3200
> to avoid usage of lamp ?? Which iso is best fitted ??

High ISO generally means reduced colour quality. Generally, if you
really want good photos underwater you have to bring your own light.

07 Oct 2006 05:31:28
Re: Info on digital camera characteristics for scuba diving

What about this camera ???

panasonic DMC-TZ1

http://www.panasonic.it/Products_Info.asp?M=3353|662|654|652|4|1

it is well suited for underwater photography ???

Thanks

Antonio D'Ottavio
www.etantonio.it/en/

14 Oct 2006 21:45:37
Dan L

On 2006-10-06 02:27:05 +1300, "Normal" <normannnormal@hotmail.co.uk > said:

> It depends on how serious you want to be. Pretty much all digital
> cameras will give reasonable results but to get anything even remotely
> "pro" looking you need an external light source. I use a compact
> digital (Canon IXUS400) which is fine when combined with a light source
> for close up work.
>
> The other thing to bear in mind is that carrying and using a camera
> will result in much higher air use - a general rule of thumpb is about
> 25% - 30% more air if you are carrying and using a camera.

Personally I tend to relax more when using a camera, and between that
and the lack of finning around, air consumption goes down a fair bit...

I can understand it going up if you're following a guide around and
having to drag the unstreamlined bulk of a camera at the same pace as
everyone else...

Dan L.

14 Oct 2006 19:26:04
Ken

"Dan L" <news@removexandNSM.NSMmaxrbxiolNSM.NSMnet > wrote in message
> On 2006-10-06 02:27:05 +1300, "Normal" <normannnormal@hotmail.co.uk> said:
>
>> It depends on how serious you want to be. Pretty much all digital
>> cameras will give reasonable results but to get anything even remotely
>> "pro" looking you need an external light source. I use a compact
>> digital (Canon IXUS400) which is fine when combined with a light source
>> for close up work.
>>
>> The other thing to bear in mind is that carrying and using a camera
>> will result in much higher air use - a general rule of thumpb is about
>> 25% - 30% more air if you are carrying and using a camera.
>
> Personally I tend to relax more when using a camera, and between that and
> the lack of finning around, air consumption goes down a fair bit...
>
> I can understand it going up if you're following a guide around and having
> to drag the unstreamlined bulk of a camera at the same pace as everyone
> else...

I suspect it depends on hat you're doing. If you go on a dive for the
purposes of taking ONE shot of the little shrimp in the sponge and spend all
your time waiting for the cheeky chappie to smile, your consumption will be
down.

If OTOH you're on your typical follow-the-leader guided dive with a compact
in a housing and no external flash, your consumption will not be perceptibly
different.

However if you're followin the diveguide lugging a HUGE case full of Nikon
D80 with a pair of vastly extended arms with large strobes on the end,
you're going to use a lot of air. However, on a drift you can put your
camera kit to good use as a sail . . . .

Ken

15 Oct 2006 23:13:29
Dan L

On 2006-10-15 07:26:04 +1300, "Ken" <ken@k1at.freeserve.co.uk > said:

> "Dan L" <news@removexandNSM.NSMmaxrbxiolNSM.NSMnet> wrote in message
>> On 2006-10-06 02:27:05 +1300, "Normal" <normannnormal@hotmail.co.uk> said:
>>
>>> It depends on how serious you want to be. Pretty much all digital
>>> cameras will give reasonable results but to get anything even remotely
>>> "pro" looking you need an external light source. I use a compact
>>> digital (Canon IXUS400) which is fine when combined with a light source
>>> for close up work.
>>>
>>> The other thing to bear in mind is that carrying and using a camera
>>> will result in much higher air use - a general rule of thumpb is about
>>> 25% - 30% more air if you are carrying and using a camera.
>>
>> Personally I tend to relax more when using a camera, and between that
>> and the lack of finning around, air consumption goes down a fair bit...
>>
>> I can understand it going up if you're following a guide around and
>> having to drag the unstreamlined bulk of a camera at the same pace as
>> everyone else...
>
> I suspect it depends on hat you're doing. If you go on a dive for the
> purposes of taking ONE shot of the little shrimp in the sponge and
> spend all your time waiting for the cheeky chappie to smile, your
> consumption will be down.
>
> If OTOH you're on your typical follow-the-leader guided dive with a
> compact in a housing and no external flash, your consumption will not
> be perceptibly different.
>
> However if you're followin the diveguide lugging a HUGE case full of
> Nikon D80 with a pair of vastly extended arms with large strobes on the
> end, you're going to use a lot of air. However, on a drift you can put
> your camera kit to good use as a sail . . . .
>
> Ken

Yep, that's about it... I'm actually looking for a small compact so I
have something to jam in a pocket for dives that I can't carry my
normal cameras on... I've been looking at things like the Fuji F30 as
it's housing looks pretty tiny and although it can't shoot RAW, that's
not too much of an issue for the intended use.

30 Dec 2006 15:17:52
MArtin
Re: Info on digital camera characteristics for scuba diving

On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 23:13:29 +1300, Dan L
<news@removexandNSM.NSMmaxrbxiolNSM.NSMnet > wrote:

<snip >

>Yep, that's about it... I'm actually looking for a small compact so I
>have something to jam in a pocket for dives that I can't carry my
>normal cameras on... I've been looking at things like the Fuji F30 as
>it's housing looks pretty tiny and although it can't shoot RAW, that's
>not too much of an issue for the intended use.

For a small compact I was impressed by a Sealife DC500. The owner was
getting reasonable results and the camera housing was certainly tight.
It was definately easier to put in a BC pocket than my DX200!

MArtin