27 Oct 2003 23:56:49
Jaspal Sahota
Farne islands in November - a good idea?

Hi,
I've been wanting to go to the Farne Islands for some time now (for the viz
and the seals). Some folks from my Club are up for a short trip (we're
central london-based). Just wondering if someone could:

1 - recommend skippers/boats
2 - comment on the weather in November - is it a big risk to go mid November
or are there always sheltered places to be found?
3 - is there anywhere closer to London that has good viz etc., I'm hoping
for something better than the 2-4m murk I've become accustomed to in
Portland etc.

Thanks in advance.

Jas

28 Oct 2003 00:42:31
Allen Leaver
Re: Farne islands in November - a good idea?

In message <3f9db0ad$1@news1.homechoice.co.uk >, Jaspal Sahota
<my_firstname_plus_surname@h_o_t_m_a_i_l.c_o_m > writes
>Hi,
>I've been wanting to go to the Farne Islands for some time now (for the viz
>and the seals). Some folks from my Club are up for a short trip (we're
>central london-based). Just wondering if someone could:
>
>1 - recommend skippers/boats
Been with Sovereign Diving three times now and found them excellent. Its
a real shame about Ian Douglas but his widow and sons are doing a great
job. Took the club RIBs this August and they really helpful with advice
on slack water etc. They supply air and nitrox and also do
accommodation.
01665 720 059 and 01665 720 120

>2 - comment on the weather in November - is it a big risk to go mid November
>or are there always sheltered places to be found?
With the Farnes being islands there's nearly always somewhere that's
sheltered AND worth diving - it can get a bit lumpy getting to them
though...

>3 - is there anywhere closer to London that has good viz etc., I'm hoping
>for something better than the 2-4m murk I've become accustomed to in
>Portland etc.
I can only comment on Whitby, one trip the viz was 5-8m another as
Portland and a third trip cancelled because of the weather! These were a
few years ago so have no recommendations for contacts there.

--
Allen

header is false - change 'nospam' to 'blueyonder' to reply

28 Oct 2003 08:34:37
Jason

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 23:56:49 +0000, Jaspal Sahota wrote:

> 3 - is there anywhere closer to London that has good viz etc., I'm
> hoping for something better than the 2-4m murk I've become accustomed to
> in Portland etc.

Well I don't know where you've been going, but I've had far better viz
around Weymouth this year than that. You just need to get out of Portland
Harbour. On the one trip I've had in the Farnes, I didn't think the viz
was any better.

I've usually found the better viz is to the west, places like Plymouth or
Falmouth, though it all depends on what the weather's been like. A lot of
rain can mess up the viz in most places in the UK.

Jason

--
See http://www.scuba-addict.co.uk/for UK diving reports including
trips to Plymouth, Weymouth, Falmouth, Exmouth and Scapa Flow

28 Oct 2003 21:49:46
Parahandy
Re: Farne islands in November - a good idea?

Vis depends on if it blows up the week before variable but can be excellent
even at this time of year. As already mentioned can usually find some
shelter in all but the worst condition. ( check the inshore forcast before
setting off). Loads of dive boat operators.

If you want somewhere slightly nearer other than the S.coast try
Pembrokeshire.

"Jaspal Sahota" <my_firstname_plus_surname@h_o_t_m_a_i_l.c_o_m > wrote in
message news:3f9db0ad$1@news1.homechoice.co.uk...