29 Jul 2004 03:26:16
Todd Shuster
refrigeration sight glass

I have a mid 90's engine driven holding plate system that I'm guessing isn't
running as well as it should. I don't have any documentation and am at a
bit of a loss. The sight glass (sporlan sa-12fm) has a green dot and looks
half full of liquid and bubbling when the compressor is running. There is a
picture of the sight glass @
http://www.rparts.com/Catalog/Major_Components/filterdryers/filter_dryers.asp.

Anyone know how it should look?

Thanks,

Todd Shuster

29 Jul 2004 23:19:18
taz
Re: refrigeration sight glass

"Todd Shuster" <shuster7@earthlink.net > wrote in message
> I have a mid 90's engine driven holding plate system that I'm guessing
isn't
> running as well as it should. I don't have any documentation and am at a
> bit of a loss. The sight glass (sporlan sa-12fm) has a green dot and
looks
> half full of liquid and bubbling when the compressor is running. There is
> picture of the sight glass @

http://www.rparts.com/Catalog/Major_Components/filterdryers/filter_dryers.asp.

> Anyone know how it should look?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Todd Shuster

Hi tod.

The sight glass shows how much liquid refrigerant is in the system.
The green dot in the centre is a moisture indicator. Green good
yellow bad.
If it is bubbleing it is an indication that it is running short of gas.
If it is short of gas then somewhere on the system it is leaking out.
It could be repaired, leak tested and topped up but the cost
would be fairly high. If it is mid 90's then you should be ok with the type
of gas in the system. (some older gases are now unavailable and require
replaceing with a more ozone friendly gas). Where abouts are you
I could help you I suspose. Alternativly you will need to get intouce
which a local refrigeration company and ask them to quote you a price
to repair it.
Cheers taz.

29 Jul 2004 23:29:27
taz
Re: refrigeration sight glass

> Hi tod.
>
> The sight glass shows how much liquid refrigerant is in the system.
> The green dot in the centre is a moisture indicator. Green good
> yellow bad.
> If it is bubbleing it is an indication that it is running short of gas.
> If it is short of gas then somewhere on the system it is leaking out.
> It could be repaired, leak tested and topped up but the cost
> would be fairly high. If it is mid 90's then you should be ok with the
type
> of gas in the system. (some older gases are now unavailable and require
> replaceing with a more ozone friendly gas). Where abouts are you
> I could help you I suspose. Alternativly you will need to get intouch
> which a local refrigeration company and ask them to quote you a price
> to repair it.
> Cheers taz.

Ps Todd just to make my point clear I may be able to help you but I
am very expensive.
If you were local enough I could look at your system for lots of cups
of coffee and maybe a quick sail round the block :-))
Cheers taz.

31 Jul 2004 06:42:15
trantor
Re: refrigeration sight glass

chances are you're low on refrigrant (sp?). You need to top up the freon.
Just like the sightglass in car aircon.