22 Feb 2006 05:27:00
Winch gear changing question.....

Hi all,

I am relatively new to the sailing world, but I have a question
regarding 2 and 3 speed winches. I was speaking to a guy over the
weekend who was describing roughly how you operate them and their
advantages compared to standard single speed winches.

He said that you start off winching in one direction (clockwise), then
when it gets to be too hard to turn you change direction
(anti-clockwise) etc. etc.

Is this correct? And is it not a bit of a hassle having to change
direction. Would it not be better if you could just change gear some
other way and continue in the same direction.

Clarification and opinions would be much appreciated.

Regards,
Stu McKinnon

22 Feb 2006 14:34:56
Nigel Molesworth
Re: Winch gear changing question.....

On 22 Feb 2006 05:27:00 -0800, stumckinnon@gmail.com wrote:

>Is this correct?

Absolutely.

>And is it not a bit of a hassle having to change direction.

No, it's wonderful, it gives your arms a rest.

--

Nigel M

Sail in a Bavaria 47 around the Greek Islands
http://www.aquariusyachting.co.uk/

22 Feb 2006 15:06:41
Dennis Pogson
Re: Winch gear changing question.....

stumckinnon@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am relatively new to the sailing world, but I have a question
> regarding 2 and 3 speed winches. I was speaking to a guy over the
> weekend who was describing roughly how you operate them and their
> advantages compared to standard single speed winches.
>
> He said that you start off winching in one direction (clockwise), then
> when it gets to be too hard to turn you change direction
> (anti-clockwise) etc. etc.
>
> Is this correct? And is it not a bit of a hassle having to change
> direction. Would it not be better if you could just change gear some
> other way and continue in the same direction.
>
> Clarification and opinions would be much appreciated.
>
> Regards,
> Stu McKinnon

You only change the direction of winding, the winch continues in a clockwise
direction regardless, for the 3rd gear you usually depress a small button on
the top of the drum. It's nae hastle at all!

22 Feb 2006 11:10:03
Matthias Julius

Nigel Molesworth <reply@thegroup.email.invalid > writes:

> No, it's wonderful, it gives your arms a rest.

Yes, it's great. Only on the boat I was racing on the last couple of
seasons it was confusing. Because some winches have their high gear
in clockwise direction and some in anti-clockwise.

Matthias

22 Feb 2006 17:13:28
Ronald Raygun

Matthias Julius wrote:

> Nigel Molesworth <reply@thegroup.email.invalid> writes:
>
>> No, it's wonderful, it gives your arms a rest.
>
> Yes, it's great. Only on the boat I was racing on the last couple of
> seasons it was confusing. Because some winches have their high gear
> in clockwise direction and some in anti-clockwise.

Obviously one kind are for starboard sheets, the other for port.
Nothing confusing about that.

22 Feb 2006 19:21:27
Dennis Pogson

Ronald Raygun wrote:
> Matthias Julius wrote:
>
>> Nigel Molesworth <reply@thegroup.email.invalid> writes:
>>
>>> No, it's wonderful, it gives your arms a rest.
>>
>> Yes, it's great. Only on the boat I was racing on the last couple of
>> seasons it was confusing. Because some winches have their high gear
>> in clockwise direction and some in anti-clockwise.
>
> Obviously one kind are for starboard sheets, the other for port.
> Nothing confusing about that.

If you know anyone who makes port and starboard winches, you know a lot more
than I do, and I've only been sailing for 50 years.

"High" is no reduction ratio at all, i.e. the handle turns the winch in a
clockwise direction and rotates at the same speed as the drum.
"Intermediate" on a 3-speed winch would have the handle going anti-clockwise
and the drum continuing in a clockwise direction.
"Low" also on a 3-speed winch, usually requires the engagement of a push
button, and dependant on the make of winch, the handle could rotate in
either direction, but usually anti-clockwise, whilst the drum will continue
to wind clockwise very slowly.

I really must look out for a yacht with "port and starboard" winches. Maybe
I've been missing something. It will remove all the fascination from
watching newcomers to yachting winding the sheet anti-clockwise on the port
side, then wondering why the tail is not coming in! Perhaps Lewmar haven't
been keeping me informed of late about new developments.

Dennis.

23 Feb 2006 00:53:25
666
Re: Winch gear changing question.....

They used to, AFAIK before self-tailing winches came on the market, I remember.
JaC

> If you know anyone who makes port and starboard winches, you know a lot more than I do, and I've only been sailing for
50 years.
> I really must look out for a yacht with "port and starboard" winches.

23 Feb 2006 00:55:26
666
Re: Winch gear changing question.....

Nn some yachts the winches are so badly placed, that yor hands get involved with stancheons when using longer craddle...
JaC

> It's nae hastle at all!

24 Feb 2006 00:37:25
Duncan McC (NZ)
Re: Winch gear changing question.....

In article <1140614820.207350.61640@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com >,
stumckinnon@gmail.com says...
> Hi all,
>
> I am relatively new to the sailing world, but I have a question
> regarding 2 and 3 speed winches. I was speaking to a guy over the
> weekend who was describing roughly how you operate them and their
> advantages compared to standard single speed winches.
>
> He said that you start off winching in one direction (clockwise), then
> when it gets to be too hard to turn you change direction
> (anti-clockwise) etc. etc.
>
> Is this correct? And is it not a bit of a hassle having to change
> direction. Would it not be better if you could just change gear some
> other way and continue in the same direction.

As Dennis says, yer only winding the handle the otherway - the winch
continues to wind in the same direction (but in a lower gear). It's
easy, and it works well.

--
Duncan

23 Feb 2006 04:56:05
Re: Winch gear changing question.....

Do you not think that some kind of automatic gear changing would be
beneficial?

Stu

23 Feb 2006 14:19:28
PyroJames
Re: Winch gear changing question.....

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 19:21:27 GMT, "Dennis Pogson"
<dennis_nospampogson@ntlworld.com > wrote:

>Ronald Raygun wrote:
>> Matthias Julius wrote:

>>> Yes, it's great. Only on the boat I was racing on the last couple of
>>> seasons it was confusing. Because some winches have their high gear
>>> in clockwise direction and some in anti-clockwise.
>>
>> Obviously one kind are for starboard sheets, the other for port.
>> Nothing confusing about that.
>
>If you know anyone who makes port and starboard winches, you know a lot more
>than I do, and I've only been sailing for 50 years.

I have encountered them once, but I think it was more case of someone
putting the pawls in backwards.

Yes it was bloody confusing, and no I wouldn't recommend it.

PyroJames.
Anything burns if you soak it in liquid oxygen first.

23 Feb 2006 13:28:57
Matthias Julius

stumckinnon@gmail.com writes:

> Do you not think that some kind of automatic gear changing would be
> beneficial?

An automatic is only good if you can disable it.

Matthias

23 Feb 2006 13:27:25
Matthias Julius

"Dennis Pogson" <dennis_nospampogson@ntlworld.com > writes:

> Ronald Raygun wrote:
>
>> Obviously one kind are for starboard sheets, the other for port.
>> Nothing confusing about that.

No, they all turn clockwise.

> "High" is no reduction ratio at all, i.e. the handle turns the winch in a
> clockwise direction and rotates at the same speed as the drum.
> "Intermediate" on a 3-speed winch would have the handle going anti-clockwise
> and the drum continuing in a clockwise direction.
> "Low" also on a 3-speed winch, usually requires the engagement of a push
> button, and dependant on the make of winch, the handle could rotate in
> either direction, but usually anti-clockwise, whilst the drum will continue
> to wind clockwise very slowly.

They are different sizes of winches. The smaller ones (cabin top and
runners) are driven directly in high gear and have it therefore in
clockwise direction. The bigger ones (jib sheet) have a reduction
even in high gear. You have to crank anti-clockwise in high and
clockwise in low gear.

Matthias

24 Feb 2006 00:30:14
chris

<stumckinnon@gmail.com > wrote in message
> Do you not think that some kind of automatic gear changing would be
> beneficial?
>
> Stu

I don't not think an automatic gear change winch would be best for all
conditions and crew. For example it has to be suitable for strength
variation of crew from hefty man to young girl. Also depends on fatigue
level of winch operator and type of task (constantly trimming spinnaker
winches racing in gale or just the odd tack) The reverse gear change seems
pretty sound to me and it simple for novices.
ChrisR

24 Feb 2006 02:58:43
peter
Re: Winch gear changing question.....

stumckinnon@gmail.com wrote:

> Do you not think that some kind of automatic gear changing would be
> beneficial?

No - anything which increases complexity and therefore possibility of
failure is a bad thing. There is already more than enough complexity in
a modern winch, and the way they work now is satisfactory to the vast
majority of sailors IME.