22 Jan 2006 11:23:48
John Webb
Stern gland

What is the concensus of opinion as to the number of turns of the greaser
per hour of engine use?




22 Jan 2006 14:52:53
Ronald Raygun
Re: Stern gland

John Webb wrote:

> What is the concensus of opinion as to the number of turns of the greaser
> per hour of engine use?

I wouldn't have thought it's a per hour thing at all, unless you motor
for extended periods (i.e. all day). About one turn or so per day, if
the engine was run that day, should normally suffice. All you need it
to do is reduce the drip rate, so that if you leave the boat unattended
for 3 weeks it isn't half full of water on your return.



22 Jan 2006 16:15:36
News f2s
Re: Stern gland


"John Webb" <webb202@ntlworld.com > wrote in message
news:8XJAf.8576$mf2.2005@newsfe6-win.ntli.net...
> What is the concensus of opinion as to the number of turns of
> the greaser per hour of engine use?

Enough turns to stop leakage every time you stop the engine. If
the leakage doesn't stop, consider re-packing.

Your greaser should be accessible. If it's not, the laziness
factor will creep in. You'll be tolerating a little leakage if
you're only going to stop the engine for a few hours. Fair enough.
Don't forget it when you leave the boat for a week or two though!
The auto bilge pump might then work overtime.

JimB




22 Jan 2006 16:30:49
Ronald Raygun
Re: Stern gland

News f2s wrote:

> Don't forget it when you leave the boat for a week or two though!
> The auto bilge pump might then work overtime.

What auto bilge pump? :-)

Oh, that one! The one which like everything else is wired to the
ordinary domestic circuit on the output of the "1-both-2-off"
switch, and which you've carefully remembered to turn off before
leaving the boat.



22 Jan 2006 17:41:00
Martin
Re: Stern gland

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 16:30:49 GMT, Ronald Raygun
<no.spam@localhost.localdomain > wrote:

>News f2s wrote:
>
>> Don't forget it when you leave the boat for a week or two though!
>> The auto bilge pump might then work overtime.
>
>What auto bilge pump? :-)
>
>Oh, that one! The one which like everything else is wired to the
>ordinary domestic circuit on the output of the "1-both-2-off"
>switch, and which you've carefully remembered to turn off before
>leaving the boat.

The one that gets you a GBP1000-6000 fine for polluting a Dutch
harbour.
--
Martin


23 Jan 2006 00:38:13
News f2s
Re: Stern gland


"Ronald Raygun" <no.spam@localhost.localdomain > wrote in message
news:ZqOAf.5813$wl.4353@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
> News f2s wrote:
>
>> Don't forget it when you leave the boat for a week or two
>> though!
>> The auto bilge pump might then work overtime.
>
> What auto bilge pump? :-)
>
> Oh, that one! The one which like everything else is wired to
> the
> ordinary domestic circuit on the output of the "1-both-2-off"
> switch, and which you've carefully remembered to turn off before
> leaving the boat.

Well, actually, it was wired directly from the battery (via a
fuse) bypassing the 1/2/Off. Which is why I suffered from low
batteries when I got lazy about the stern gland bit. We learn from
experience . . . it's now cockpit locker mounted. The stern gland
greaser, I mean. After all, upside down in the lazarette, after
unloading the kedge and inflatable and the winter paint left overs
and the storm trysail just to wind a grease cup is a bit of a
bore. Yacht Design!

JimB




22 Jan 2006 19:14:46
Pete Verdon
Re: Stern gland

News f2s wrote:

> After all, upside down in the lazarette, after unloading the kedge
> and inflatable and the winter paint left overs and the storm trysail
> just to wind a grease cup is a bit of a bore. Yacht Design!

I once chartered a yacht that had the greaser in the heads. The owner's
advice was for one person to give it a quarter-turn every time they went
in there.

Pete


23 Jan 2006 13:28:02
Dennis Pogson
Re: Stern gland

News f2s wrote:
> "Ronald Raygun" <no.spam@localhost.localdomain> wrote in message
> news:ZqOAf.5813$wl.4353@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
>> News f2s wrote:
>>
>>> Don't forget it when you leave the boat for a week or two
>>> though!
>>> The auto bilge pump might then work overtime.
>>
>> What auto bilge pump? :-)
>>
>> Oh, that one! The one which like everything else is wired to
>> the
>> ordinary domestic circuit on the output of the "1-both-2-off"
>> switch, and which you've carefully remembered to turn off before
>> leaving the boat.
>
> Well, actually, it was wired directly from the battery (via a
> fuse) bypassing the 1/2/Off. Which is why I suffered from low
> batteries when I got lazy about the stern gland bit. We learn from
> experience . . . it's now cockpit locker mounted. The stern gland
> greaser, I mean. After all, upside down in the lazarette, after
> unloading the kedge and inflatable and the winter paint left overs
> and the storm trysail just to wind a grease cup is a bit of a
> bore. Yacht Design!
>
> JimB

Amazing what you can do with copper tubing!




23 Jan 2006 23:15:44
phil
Re: Stern gland

Deep Sea Seal highly recommended . . .

http://www.tnorrismarine.co.uk/manecraft.php


"John Webb" <webb202@ntlworld.com > wrote in message
news:8XJAf.8576$mf2.2005@newsfe6-win.ntli.net...
> What is the concensus of opinion as to the number of turns of the greaser
> per hour of engine use?




24 Jan 2006 01:40:58
Graham Frankland
Re: Stern gland

"phil" <phil.walton@virgin.net > wrote in message
news:AsdBf.54776$q4.35990@newsfe2-gui.ntli.net...
> Deep Sea Seal highly recommended . . .
>
Fine until they fail and then you're well knackered, unlike a conventionally
packed stern gland which rarely, if ever, fails catastrophically. Unlike a
conventional gland which can just be re-packed occasionally whilst afloat,
alternative glands have to be replaced more frequently with cost
implications not just for the seal but hauling out, removing shaft etc.

Graham.




24 Jan 2006 20:20:01
Tony Brooks
Re: Stern gland


"John Webb" <webb202@ntlworld.com > wrote in message
news:8XJAf.8576$mf2.2005@newsfe6-win.ntli.net...
> What is the concensus of opinion as to the number of turns of the greaser
> per hour of engine use?

To try to give some sort of answer.

If this is a grease cap just to lubricate the packing a turn a day should be
OK - if it runs hot the grease will melt an drip down

If it is a greaser to lubricate a the packing and a plain front bearing with
a cutless outboard bearing I would turn it down just until resistance is
felt.every 12 hours or once a day whenever the shaft ahs been turning.

If its plain metal bearings both inboard and outboard I would turn it down
to the resistance and then another one or two turns every 12 hours or once a
day.


--
Tony Brooks
www.TB-Training.co.uk





24 Jan 2006 20:36:41
Ian Sandell
Re: Stern gland

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 23:15:44 GMT, "phil" <phil.walton@virgin.net >
wrote:

>Deep Sea Seal highly recommended . . .
>
>http://www.tnorrismarine.co.uk/manecraft.php

But not necessarily by Norris.

Ian


25 Jan 2006 00:41:10
ChrisR
Re: Stern gland


"Ian Sandell" <ian@sandell.co.uk > wrote in message
news:vr3dt1l1d9grm1hkgmdqo0tg1r78apkmav@4ax.com...
> On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 23:15:44 GMT, "phil" <phil.walton@virgin.net>
> wrote:
>
> >Deep Sea Seal highly recommended . . .
> >
> >http://www.tnorrismarine.co.uk/manecraft.php
>
> But not necessarily by Norris.
>
> Ian

My old W30 had white metal bearings at the prop end of the stern tube as
well as the gland. The lubrication system was by grease gun to nipple via
pipe to stern gland. I used to give one pump every hour the engine was
running. After stopping the engine, 6 pumps. I replaced the white metal
bearings with oilite bushes to facilitate easier future maintenance
replacement and never actually needed to replace them again.

I feel that on slow speed plain bearings a little surplus lubrication is far
preferable to too little, of course care should be taken to avoid damage due
to excessive lubrication pressure or volume. So on later boats I just stuck
to the lubricate a small amount every hour run, seems to work for me.





26 Jan 2006 17:52:32
Tony of Judicious
Re: Stern gland

John Webb wrote:

> What is the concensus of opinion as to the number of turns of the greaser
> per hour of engine use?

I give a 1/4 turn every hour and again when stopping the engine or leaving
the boat. No idea if this is right, though.