26 Jul 2004 15:46:48
The Floating Bear
Seagull poo

Keeping my boat on a trot mooring at Oreston on the River Plym, I have a
shitehawk problem. Apparently there is a fish factory opposite and they
hang around en masse locking hopeful. Sadly, while doing this they crap on
my sprayhood and cabin top.

I read about Humming Line being the answer to a virgin's prayer and it
hasn't been. Nor has a line bedecked with AOL CDs. Latest thing is a mass
of garden netting but hanging and removing it will prove to be far more
work than cleaning up after the little blighters.

I suspect that problem occur when it is a) not windy or b) dark so that
noisy and flashing things don't do anything. Certainly when we go out to
the mooring by dinghy in the dark we disturb several birds per boat we
pass.

Anyone else got a surefire solution?

Regards,

Jerry Jones

Remove the obvious from my address to reply

26 Jul 2004 17:07:37
Nigel
Re: Seagull poo

"The Floating Bear" <jezza@cix.theobvious.co.uk > wrote in message
> Keeping my boat on a trot mooring at Oreston on the River Plym, I have a
> shitehawk problem. Apparently there is a fish factory opposite and they
> hang around en masse locking hopeful. Sadly, while doing this they crap on
> my sprayhood and cabin top.

<snip >

I had a similar problem in Portland last year... tying supermarket carrier
bags around the boat seemed to help, didn't solve it completely, but it was
much much better

26 Jul 2004 16:29:13
Keelworm
Re: Seagull poo

The Floating Bear wrote:

> Keeping my boat on a trot mooring at Oreston on the River Plym, I have a
> shitehawk problem. Apparently there is a fish factory opposite and they
> hang around en masse locking hopeful. Sadly, while doing this they crap on
> my sprayhood and cabin top.
>
> I read about Humming Line being the answer to a virgin's prayer and it
> hasn't been. Nor has a line bedecked with AOL CDs. Latest thing is a mass
> of garden netting but hanging and removing it will prove to be far more
> work than cleaning up after the little blighters.
>
> I suspect that problem occur when it is a) not windy or b) dark so that
> noisy and flashing things don't do anything. Certainly when we go out to
> the mooring by dinghy in the dark we disturb several birds per boat we
> pass.
>
> Anyone else got a surefire solution?
>
> Regards,
>
> Jerry Jones
>
> Remove the obvious from my address to reply

Have seen these...

http://www.martleyelectronics.co.uk/birdscarers.html#bsmarine

in the yachting press before... however, bloody pricey, and probably only
emit the same ultrasonic bursts as the £15quid cat scarers you get in a
bettaware catalogue... On the plus side, they dont look like a plastic
smurf's mushroom!

PG

--
ALTERNATIVE SAILING TERMS - Seabag:
Aging mermaid.

26 Jul 2004 18:23:37
Gordon Wedman
Re: Seagull poo

If they are sitting on your spreaders or boom you might try stretching one
or two lengths of nylon fishing line along the length, about 5cm above the
surface. The line prevents them from achieving a comfortable and stable
footing.

"The Floating Bear" <jezza@cix.theobvious.co.uk > wrote in message
> Keeping my boat on a trot mooring at Oreston on the River Plym, I have a
> shitehawk problem. Apparently there is a fish factory opposite and they
> hang around en masse locking hopeful. Sadly, while doing this they crap on
> my sprayhood and cabin top.
>
> I read about Humming Line being the answer to a virgin's prayer and it
> hasn't been. Nor has a line bedecked with AOL CDs. Latest thing is a mass
> of garden netting but hanging and removing it will prove to be far more
> work than cleaning up after the little blighters.
>
> I suspect that problem occur when it is a) not windy or b) dark so that
> noisy and flashing things don't do anything. Certainly when we go out to
> the mooring by dinghy in the dark we disturb several birds per boat we
> pass.
>
> Anyone else got a surefire solution?
>
> Regards,
>
> Jerry Jones
>
> Remove the obvious from my address to reply

26 Jul 2004 20:16:25
Stephen Sumner, YachtingUniver
Re: Seagull poo

Why not have a shooting party? invite some friends down from town in their
tweed country wear and blow the blighters away with guns.

Or why not get some bread soaked baking powder and feed it to them, quite
good fun watching them explode in mid air!

;-)

Stephen

"The Floating Bear" <jezza@cix.theobvious.co.uk > wrote in message
> Keeping my boat on a trot mooring at Oreston on the River Plym, I have a
> shitehawk problem. Apparently there is a fish factory opposite and they
> hang around en masse locking hopeful. Sadly, while doing this they crap on
> my sprayhood and cabin top.
>
> I read about Humming Line being the answer to a virgin's prayer and it
> hasn't been. Nor has a line bedecked with AOL CDs. Latest thing is a mass
> of garden netting but hanging and removing it will prove to be far more
> work than cleaning up after the little blighters.
>
> I suspect that problem occur when it is a) not windy or b) dark so that
> noisy and flashing things don't do anything. Certainly when we go out to
> the mooring by dinghy in the dark we disturb several birds per boat we
> pass.
>
> Anyone else got a surefire solution?
>
> Regards,
>
> Jerry Jones
>
> Remove the obvious from my address to reply

26 Jul 2004 22:08:58
martin
Re: Seagull poo

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 20:16:25 +0100, "Stephen Sumner,
YachtingUniverse.com" <spam@spam.com > wrote:

>Why not have a shooting party? invite some friends down from town in their
>tweed country wear and blow the blighters away with guns.
>
>Or why not get some bread soaked baking powder and feed it to them, quite
>good fun watching them explode in mid air!

bread soaked in whisky/meths brings them down.
--
Martin

26 Jul 2004 22:11:22
martin
Re: Seagull poo

This http://gpsinformation.us/main/Birds.gif?
--
Martin

26 Jul 2004 21:52:19
Keith
Re: Seagull poo

(Note - reformatted)

In message <4105572a$0$7127$db0fefd9@news.zen.co.uk >, "Stephen Sumner,
YachtingUniverse.com" <spam@spam.com > writes

>> Keeping my boat on a trot mooring at Oreston on the River Plym, I have a
>> shitehawk problem. Apparently there is a fish factory opposite and they
>> hang around en masse locking hopeful. Sadly, while doing this they crap on
>> my sprayhood and cabin top.
>>
>> I read about Humming Line being the answer to a virgin's prayer and it
>> hasn't been. Nor has a line bedecked with AOL CDs. Latest thing is a mass
>> of garden netting but hanging and removing it will prove to be far more
>> work than cleaning up after the little blighters.
>>
>> I suspect that problem occur when it is a) not windy or b) dark so that
>> noisy and flashing things don't do anything. Certainly when we go out to
>> the mooring by dinghy in the dark we disturb several birds per boat we
>> pass.
>>
>> Anyone else got a surefire solution?
>>

>Why not have a shooting party? invite some friends down from town in their
>tweed country wear and blow the blighters away with guns.
>
>Or why not get some bread soaked baking powder and feed it to them, quite
>good fun watching them explode in mid air!
>
>> Anyone else got a surefire solution?

Move your boat from a trot mooring opposite a fish factory..?
--
Keith replace nospam with ilf0rd

27 Jul 2004 07:02:52
Stefan
Re: Seagull poo

In article <ce3bgp$6sp$2@titan.btinternet.com >,=20
trash@REMOVETHECAPSgoldingweb.co.uk says...

>=20
> http://www.martleyelectronics.co.uk/birdscarers.html#bsmarine
>=20
> in the yachting press before... however, bloody pricey, and probably onl=
y=20
> emit the same ultrasonic bursts as the =A315quid cat scarers you get in a=
=20
> bettaware catalogue...=20

Hm....if they are anything like the ultrasonic cat scarers or mouse=20
scarers my better half once bought, "useful as a chocolate teapot" is=20
the phrase that comes to mind.

27 Jul 2004 08:32:37
Nigel
Re: Seagull poo

> This http://gpsinformation.us/main/Birds.gif?
> --
> Martin

I'm no expert on gulls but I've studied these two birds and made careful
note of there habits, I believe I can now tell which is the female.

27 Jul 2004 09:57:08
martin
Re: Seagull poo

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 08:32:37 +0100, "Nigel"
<jassira_remove_this_bit_53@hotmail.com > wrote:

>> This http://gpsinformation.us/main/Birds.gif?
>> --
>> Martin
>
>I'm no expert on gulls but I've studied these two birds and made careful
>note of there habits, I believe I can now tell which is the female.

The one with the mouth that opens and closes forever?
--
Martin

27 Jul 2004 09:42:42
Chris Lowe
Re: Seagull poo

> bread soaked in whisky/ meths brings them down.

I hope you use cheep blends otherwise this sounds like a criminal waste
of scottish barley water

27 Jul 2004 10:54:51
martin
Re: Seagull poo

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 09:42:42 +0100, Chris Lowe
<cjbl@removespamblockart-render.com > wrote:

>> bread soaked in whisky/ meths brings them down.
>
>I hope you use cheep blends otherwise this sounds like a criminal waste
>of scottish barley water

It was Seagrams Canadian whisky(??).

Do seagulls cheep? :-)
--
Martin

27 Jul 2004 10:11:30
Chris Lowe
Re: Seagull poo

martin wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 09:42:42 +0100, Chris Lowe
> <cjbl@removespamblockart-render.com> wrote:
>

>>>bread soaked in whisky/ meths brings them down.
>>
>>I hope you use cheep blends otherwise this sounds like a criminal waste
>>of scottish barley water
>

> It was Seagrams Canadian whisky(??).

certainly not a crime on this side of the pond

> Do seagulls cheep? :-)

no, they say "mine!"

27 Jul 2004 11:32:04
martin
Re: Seagull poo

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 10:11:30 +0100, Chris Lowe
<cjbl@removespamblockart-render.com > wrote:

>martin wrote:

>>>I hope you use cheep blends otherwise this sounds like a criminal waste
>>>of scottish barley water
>>

>> It was Seagrams Canadian whisky(??).
>
>certainly not a crime on this side of the pond

Somebody inadvertently purchased lots of duty free bottles of it.

>> Do seagulls cheep? :-)
>
>no, they say "mine!"

Don't you mean "whats yours"?
--
Martin

27 Jul 2004 10:34:15
Chris Lowe
Re: Seagull poo

>>>It was Seagrams Canadian whisky(??).
>>
>>certainly not a crime on this side of the pond
>

> Somebody inadvertently purchased lots of duty free bottles of it.
>

>>>Do seagulls cheep? :-)
>>
>>no, they say "mine!"
>

> Don't you mean "whats yours"?

a large Rosebank or Hillside please

(After watching finding Nemo with the kids seagull definately say "mine!")

27 Jul 2004 12:12:19
=?iso-8859-1?q?Martin_Sch=F6=F
Re: Seagull poo

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 07:02:52 +0100, Stefan wrote:

> In article <ce3bgp$6sp$2@titan.btinternet.com>,
> trash@REMOVETHECAPSgoldingweb.co.uk says...
>

>> http://www.martleyelectronics.co.uk/birdscarers.html#bsmarine
>>
>> in the yachting press before... however, bloody pricey, and probably only
>> emit the same ultrasonic bursts as the £15quid cat scarers you get in a
>> bettaware catalogue...
>
> Hm....if they are anything like the ultrasonic cat scarers or mouse
> scarers my better half once bought, "useful as a chocolate teapot" is
> the phrase that comes to mind.

This gadget works for me:
http://www.biconet.com/birds/jumpo.html

Martin Schöön                    "Problems worthy of attack
                                  prove their worth by hitting back"
                                                           Piet Hein

martin
Re: Seagull poo

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 12:12:19 +0200, Martin Schöön <me@privacy.net >
wrote:

>On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 07:02:52 +0100, Stefan wrote:
>
>> In article <ce3bgp$6sp$2@titan.btinternet.com>,
>> trash@REMOVETHECAPSgoldingweb.co.uk says...
>>

>>> http://www.martleyelectronics.co.uk/birdscarers.html#bsmarine
>>>
>>> in the yachting press before... however, bloody pricey, and probably only
>>> emit the same ultrasonic bursts as the £15quid cat scarers you get in a
>>> bettaware catalogue...
>>
>> Hm....if they are anything like the ultrasonic cat scarers or mouse
>> scarers my better half once bought, "useful as a chocolate teapot" is
>> the phrase that comes to mind.
>
>This gadget works for me:
>http://www.biconet.com/birds/jumpo.html

Make your seagulls die laughing with this?
http://www.biconet.com/critter/inflatableOwl.html
--
Martin