13 Mar 2007 09:04:37
Tony of Judicious
Cruising Iceland

Anyone been there/done that?

I have met a couple of people who have (one last year, we celebrated
her 75th birthday on board J, she had just done a circumnavigation
with a side jaunt to Greenland) - it sounds quite interesting.

The fijords on the east coast look reasonably accessible. About 5
days sail from Stornoway.

14 Mar 2007 22:22:40
Howard
Re: Cruising Iceland

Tony of Judicious wrote:
> Anyone been there/done that?
>
> I have met a couple of people who have (one last year, we celebrated
> her 75th birthday on board J, she had just done a circumnavigation
> with a side jaunt to Greenland) - it sounds quite interesting.
>
> The fijords on the east coast look reasonably accessible. About 5
> days sail from Stornoway.

Well I was hoping you would get some response as it sounds like a neat
idea. I was in Newfoundland (from Nova Scotia) last year and will
return to overwinter. There are some nice fijords on the south coast
there. In my less lucid moments I dream of island hopping.
Cape Breton,
Newfoundland
Greenland
Iceland
Faroes
Shetland
UK
And beyond.
Howard

15 Mar 2007 10:55:33
Tony of Judicious
Re: Cruising Iceland

On 15 Mar, 02:22, Howard <pub...@hpeer.com > wrote:
> Tony of Judicious wrote:
> > Anyone been there/done that?
>
> > I have met a couple of people who have (one last year, we celebrated
> > her 75th birthday on board J, she had just done a circumnavigation
> > with a side jaunt to Greenland) - it sounds quite interesting.
>
> > The fijords on the east coast look reasonably accessible. About 5
> > days sail from Stornoway.
>
> Well I was hoping you would get some response as it sounds like a neat
> idea. I was in Newfoundland (from Nova Scotia) last year and will
> return to overwinter. There are some nice fijords on the south coast
> there. In my less lucid moments I dream of island hopping.
> Cape Breton,
> Newfoundland
> Greenland
> Iceland
> Faroes
> Shetland
> UK
> And beyond.
> Howard

Howard - dissapointed in response from UKRS, tought this would get the
ng going.

One thing I have noticed in high latitude cruisiing is how compressed
E-W distances are, at 62deg 1 minute of longtitude is comfortably less
than 1/2 mile.

Ice bergy bits are a problem in Greenland. I once met Willy Ker who
co-authors the RCC pilot for the area. I understand the SW coast is
resaonably clear from mid-summer but the SE/E coast can be difficult

(the old girl I referred to in my OP didn't get to Greenland, she was
half a day away from the E coast and couldn't get an ice report for
the fijord they were aiming for as Ice Patrol hadn't got a plane up
for a week due to bad visibility. She hove-to, waited 24 hours, still
no report, so went back to Iceland).

Iceland seems quite reaonable, except for the S coast which is
inhospitable. A visit to the island of Grimsey (about 15m off the N
coast) is a must as it lies directly on the Artic circle. There can
be a bit of bergy ice on the NW coast, depending on what the East
Greenland Current is doing.

Faeroes - I cruised them a couple of years ago. Fantatistic scenery.
Good weather, quite warm (late June/early July).

Shetlands - Based J there for most of last summer. Lots of fog.

16 Mar 2007 02:18:46
toad
Re: Cruising Iceland

On 15 Mar, 17:55, "Tony of Judicious" <t...@thoward.plus.com > wrote:

> Howard - dissapointed in response from UKRS, tought this would get the
> ng going.

It raised my interest, problem is I had no actual information to offer
and simply posting "Great trip" seemed a bit lame!

19 Mar 2007 16:22:03
Mobey Dick
Re: Cruising Iceland

"Tony of Judicious" <tony@thoward.plus.com > wrote in message
> Anyone been there/done that?
>
> I have met a couple of people who have (one last year, we celebrated
> her 75th birthday on board J, she had just done a circumnavigation
> with a side jaunt to Greenland) - it sounds quite interesting.
>
> The fijords on the east coast look reasonably accessible. About 5
> days sail from Stornoway.

Try here:
http://www.ybw.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=ym&Number=1101773&Searchpage=1&Main=1101485&Words=iceland&topic=&Search=true#Post1101773

Or just go to www.ybw.com/forums and search on Iceland