21 Jan 2006 16:48:09
C. Warden Ketch from Lowenstoft

Greetings UK Sailors ,

I figure it's time to try again here to track down some information.

I'm hoping someone in the Lowestoft area might be able to ID the
builder or first owner of my motor sailboat.

She's a 42 foot LOA Steel hull Ketch. Center cockpit and masts that
lower for the canals. Was named the C. Warden painted black out of
Lowestoft. Anyone recall a boat in the late 70's or early 80's in that
area with the name C. Warden?

Are there any yards in Lowestoft that still build steel hulls like
mine?

Here is a link to a picture:
http://www.sailinglinks.com/images/RedCloud.jpg

Another with the recent removable wheelhouse I added.
http://image54.webshots.com/154/8/67/23/526986723TDAGLs_ph.jpg

Thanks for your help!

Joe
MSV RedCloud

22 Jan 2006 11:35:21
Goofball_star_dot_etal
Re: C. Warden Ketch from Lowenstoft

On 21 Jan 2006 16:48:09 -0800, steelredcloud@yahoo.com wrote:

>Greetings UK Sailors ,
>
> I figure it's time to try again here to track down some information.
>
> I'm hoping someone in the Lowestoft area might be able to ID the
>builder or first owner of my motor sailboat.
>
>She's a 42 foot LOA Steel hull Ketch. Center cockpit and masts that
>lower for the canals. Was named the C. Warden painted black out of
>Lowestoft. Anyone recall a boat in the late 70's or early 80's in that
>area with the name C. Warden?
>

> Are there any yards in Lowestoft that still build steel hulls like
>mine?
>

>Here is a link to a picture:
>http://www.sailinglinks.com/images/RedCloud.jpg
>
>Another with the recent removable wheelhouse I added.
>http://image54.webshots.com/154/8/67/23/526986723TDAGLs_ph.jpg
>

>Thanks for your help!
>

>Joe
>MSV RedCloud

Looks a little bit like this to me, Joe:
http://www.theyachtmarket.co.uk/viewboat.aspx?boatid=8187
http://www.theyachtmarket.co.uk/viewmoreimages.asp?sessionid=kaudutcujtfjbmuutsms912251504xlgwqhqdsntrwhfiyeen&boatid=8187&review=
http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/De-Vries-Lentsch/1
Here are a couple of links to Lowestoft:
http://www.yourlocalhistory.info/newyourlocalhistory.info/Fishing%20and%20Floods/Fishing%20Industry.htm
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&rls=GGLD%2CGGLD%3A2004-11%2CGGLD%3Aen&q=+Richards+%28Shipbuilders%29%2C+Lowestoft&btnG=Search&meta=cr%3DcountryUK%7CcountryGB
Cheers.

22 Jan 2006 07:52:34
Re: C. Warden Ketch from Lowenstoft

Thanks for the links, however the hull is very different than any of
the De-Vries, only thing that looks close is the bow. Stern
shape,cabins, are all very different.

Richards yard in Lowestoft closed in 1974. My main and Gen are 1976
engines.
However the boat may be a backyard boat of a former yard worker. i
suspect that because of some of the advanced welding for the time. All
thru hulls, rudder knee and post, tube, board pin, shaft tube are made
of Monel welded to steel. Even the wheel was home made and better than
any store bought helm. Even my turnbuckles and main blocks are hand
made of Monel. Someone spent alot of time tinkering on small time
consuming projects.

Great info on Lowestoft thanks.

Joe

22 Jan 2006 16:30:43

On 22 Jan 2006 07:52:34 -0800, steelredcloud@yahoo.com wrote:

>Thanks for the links, however the hull is very different than any of
>the De-Vries, only thing that looks close is the bow. Stern
>shape,cabins, are all very different.

I would not rule them out. The mast lowering, steel construction,
quality and general impression seem right.

>Richards yard in Lowestoft closed in 1974. My main and Gen are 1976
>engines.

The name is interesting.
http://www.tugphotos.co.uk/pages/warden.htm

>However the boat may be a backyard boat of a former yard worker. i
>suspect that because of some of the advanced welding for the time. All
>thru hulls, rudder knee and post, tube, board pin, shaft tube are made
>of Monel welded to steel. Even the wheel was home made and better than
>any store bought helm. Even my turnbuckles and main blocks are hand
>made of Monel. Someone spent alot of time tinkering on small time
>consuming projects.
>
>Great info on Lowestoft thanks.
>
>Joe

Enjoyed your hurricane reports.. I like a good nutter. :-)

23 Jan 2006 07:30:46
Re: C. Warden Ketch from Lowenstoft

Wow, that may be a great lead with the tugboat. With the yard it was
made in Lowestoft, the black hull, and the Warden name. I will see if
Royal Maritime Auxiliary Service can provide me the owner contact info
of the Warden, perhaps it's a relative of the owner of the C. Warden.

Here in Texas we like good nutters too, but I doubt we are talking
about the same thing...:0)

Hurricane Rita was a breeze, we were lucky.

Thanks Again,

Joe

23 Jan 2006 07:41:31
Re: C. Warden Ketch from Lowenstoft

Greetings Golfball,

Is Royal Maritime Service a version of what we call our Merchant
Marine fleet and Govt owned?

Thanks,

Joe

23 Jan 2006 18:31:34

On 23 Jan 2006 07:41:31 -0800, steelredcloud@yahoo.com wrote:

>Greetings Golfball,

Greeting, Joe,

> Is Royal Maritime Service a version of what we call our Merchant
>Marine fleet and Govt owned?

One is what one Googles, only..
They seem to be a 'branch' of the Royal Navy.

"All RMAS vessels had a buff coloured superstructure and black hulls
with an all round white riband at deck level."
http://www.sd-dev.demon.co.uk/page3.html

http://www.navynews.co.uk/articles/2000/0011/0000110103.asp

The "Warden" name seems to 'belong' to the RN, who else would want to
steal it, I wonder.
http://www.battleships-cruisers.co.uk/lord_clyde.htm

If it turns out that it was designed by De-Vries, built by Richards
and owned by the RN/RMAS *and* hurricanes miss you, you must have got
the hang of the Ying and Yang thing.

23 Jan 2006 19:04:39

On 23 Jan 2006 07:30:46 -0800, steelredcloud@yahoo.com wrote:

>Wow, that may be a great lead with the tugboat. With the yard it was
>made in Lowestoft, the black hull, and the Warden name. I will see if
>Royal Maritime Auxiliary Service can provide me the owner contact info
>of the Warden, perhaps it's a relative of the owner of the C. Warden.
>
>Here in Texas we like good nutters too, but I doubt we are talking
>about the same thing...:0)

Enjoy!
http://www.effingpot.com/slang.shtml
http://www.peevish.co.uk/slang/n.htm

>Hurricane Rita was a breeze, we were lucky.

Plenty more where that came from. :-)

23 Jan 2006 17:48:30
Re: C. Warden Ketch from Lowenstoft

Yeah your Nutter and our Nutter are in two different worlds.

Joe

25 Jan 2006 00:04:24

On 23 Jan 2006 17:48:30 -0800, steelredcloud@yahoo.com wrote:

>Yeah your Nutter and our Nutter are in two different worlds.

It was meant as a complement, of sorts..

Re. Rita
"Thanks OZ , we plan to sink anything heading our way. "
"Plenty of ammo and weapons"
We don't do that sort of thing in Wales..:-)

Glad you found your boat designer, Walt de Vries Lentsch Jr. Is this
the same guy or did you really find a Norwegian version?
"On 6 June 1985 the ship design office Bureau voor Scheepsbouw W. de
Vries Lentsch received the order to design the first Medina type of
lifeboat for the 'North'"

http://www.scheepvaartfotografie.com/Articles/010art-en.html

30 Jan 2006 12:46:20
Re: C. Warden Ketch from Lowenstoft

>It was meant as a complement, of sorts..

>Re. Rita
>"Thanks OZ , we plan to sink anything heading our way. "
>"Plenty of ammo and weapons"
>We don't do that sort of thing in Wales..:-)

Ohh that. You have to understand the people that have boats in my
marina, it's not the typical sailboat marina. Most the boats here are
go fast cigarboats, so the guys who leave boats here hanging in slings
want to collect on insurance. Once during hurricane Francis I saved 3
huge fiberglass dockboxes full of gear that were floating by. I risked
life and limb to tie off these boxes. The owner came by a few days
later and acted like he was very pissed off about the whole hassel and
did not even say thanks, he would have rather put in an insurance claim
Im sure. Same with the boats, I figure I'm doing them a favor to blow
holes in them as they drift by and surly if they are heading towards
me.

Now during hurricane Claudette I tended the lines on a sailboat for a
guy out of the country, did not expect anything for doing so, thats
what you do for fellow sailors, he insisted on giving me 100 dollars to
take my wife out to dinner, I tried to refuse but he said he would
throw the money in the water if I did not take it.

During tropical storm Alicia the moron in the shed next to me left 5
gallons of waste oil in a bucket on deck, before I found it and tossed
it in his boat it covered all my dock stuff, plants, chairs bulkheads
ect.

The powerboaters here are mostly spoiled rotten self centered
dickheads...with a few exceptions.

Joe

04 Feb 2006 21:29:38
News
Re: C. Warden Ketch from Lowenstoft

Hello:

I just purchased a used 52 ft steel ketch that is registered in Lowestoft.
similar set-up. It was built by John I Perry (Marine) Ltd.
It's still listed on http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/5/8/81941858.htm

Thanks
David