27 Feb 2005 09:36:05
Pin slipping on chinook boom head

Hi all,

Last summer I bought a new chinook boom - aluminum.
I noticed that the pin slips out on the boom head.

I called the dealer and they said it's not unusual just tap it back
into place.

I checked it every time I sailed last summer and it always needed
"tapping."

I did not pursue it as it was the end of the summer and I probably only
had about 5 sessions with it. But I'm still kind of wondering if this
is really normal? I bought this boom assuming that my old 5 year boom
was probably close to failure - and I didn't want to be out on the
ocean with a broken boom.

I have also finally posted a picture here.
http://users.adelphia.net/~andrewstaniszewski/

I'd appreciate your comments.
Vicki



27 Feb 2005 19:20:14
wtrplnet
Re: Pin slipping on chinook boom head


<victw@adelphia.net > wrote in message
news:1109525765.194966.241490@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...
> Hi all,
>
> Last summer I bought a new chinook boom - aluminum.
> I noticed that the pin slips out on the boom head.
>
> I called the dealer and they said it's not unusual just tap it back
> into place.
>
> I checked it every time I sailed last summer and it always needed
> "tapping."

Yep. Totally normal. Never saw any of the hundreds I sold fail because of
it. Just tap it in as the dealer said.




27 Feb 2005 11:40:13
WARDOG
Re: Pin slipping on chinook boom head

victw@adelphia.net wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Last summer I bought a new chinook boom - aluminum.
> I noticed that the pin slips out on the boom head.
>
> I called the dealer and they said it's not unusual just tap it back
> into place.

Hi Vicki,
It does happen and is not unusual...try mushrooming the pin head a
bit...place the bottom end on a vice/anvil and tap the other making the
head flare out a bit...flip over and repeat...
Be proactive...if you let it slip out too far, the pin will bend, making
it harder to get back in...

WARDOG
http://surfingsports.com



>
> I checked it every time I sailed last summer and it always needed
> "tapping."
>
> I did not pursue it as it was the end of the summer and I probably only
> had about 5 sessions with it. But I'm still kind of wondering if this
> is really normal? I bought this boom assuming that my old 5 year boom
> was probably close to failure - and I didn't want to be out on the
> ocean with a broken boom.
>
> I have also finally posted a picture here.
> http://users.adelphia.net/~andrewstaniszewski/
>
> I'd appreciate your comments.
> Vicki
>


27 Feb 2005 15:56:20
Glenn Woodell
Re: Pin slipping on chinook boom head

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 11:40:13 -0800, WARDOG
<wardog@xxxsurfingsports.com > wrote:

>victw@adelphia.net wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Last summer I bought a new chinook boom - aluminum.
>> I noticed that the pin slips out on the boom head.
>>
>> I called the dealer and they said it's not unusual just tap it back
>> into place.
>
>Hi Vicki,
>It does happen and is not unusual...try mushrooming the pin head a
>bit...place the bottom end on a vice/anvil and tap the other making the
>head flare out a bit...flip over and repeat...
>Be proactive...if you let it slip out too far, the pin will bend, making
>it harder to get back in...

Or better yet? Remove the pin and put a slight bend in it. When you
put it back in it will be much tighter. Atually almost anything you
can do to deform it near the middle should make it stay put.

Glenn


27 Feb 2005 18:52:51
JSNTG
Re: Pin slipping on chinook boom head

I've tweaked 2 booms from slipping pins. Pin works itself out then pops out
during a hard sheet. The result, a permanently, eccentrically deformed boom.
The prevention: a rubber band. More adjustable than duct tape.

Hugh


"wtrplnet" <jerrymander@aol.com > wrote in message
news:O3pUd.9877$Pz7.5396@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com...
>
> <victw@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> news:1109525765.194966.241490@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Last summer I bought a new chinook boom - aluminum.
> > I noticed that the pin slips out on the boom head.
> >
> > I called the dealer and they said it's not unusual just tap it back
> > into place.
> >
> > I checked it every time I sailed last summer and it always needed
> > "tapping."
>
> Yep. Totally normal. Never saw any of the hundreds I sold fail because
of
> it. Just tap it in as the dealer said.
>
>




28 Feb 2005 08:59:36
pacspeed
Re: Pin slipping on chinook boom head


Hi Vicki - previous comments are correct - just tap it back in. You'll
notice when rigged that this boom head ("Comp" head in our
catalog)carries the clamping load on the ropes, not the pin. SO, even
if the pin were to fall out entirely, your head would still function.
The pin just retains the plastic gate that cushions your mast from the
ropes.
Keep us posted, thanks - Alex Dixon, Chinook R&D