11 Feb 2007 08:39:52
One of the Pfankuch's
What is new at Dyna-Ski Boats

Lots going on at Dyna-Ski Boats.

Check out our web site at www.dyna-ski.com

I am strongly considering getting rid of all the wood in our boats even
the balsa coring. What have you expects experienced in boat lines that
have done this? Any seat of the pants comparisons among you?

Pete

11 Feb 2007 11:48:52
R.J.(Bob) Evans
Re: What is new at Dyna-Ski Boats

On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 08:39:52 -0600 One of the Pfankuch's
<pfankuch@cybrzn.com > wrote:

>Lots going on at Dyna-Ski Boats.
>
>Check out our web site at www.dyna-ski.com
>
>I am strongly considering getting rid of all the wood in our boats even
>the balsa coring. What have you expects experienced in boat lines that
>have done this? Any seat of the pants comparisons among you?

So you are thinking of taking the wood out of both the boats you build
this year or just the 2nd one?

--
R.J.(Bob) Evans
(return address needs alteration to work)

Re: What is new at Dyna-Ski Boats

Hi Pete,

I thought you were going to make a video of your boats.
I'm not saying it has to be super professional.
I made a video / I drove the boat and my friend operated
the camera.
01:14 of video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOyEI5c_tAo
"One of the Pfankuch's" <pfankuch@cybrzn.com > wrote in message
> Lots going on at Dyna-Ski Boats.
>
> Check out our web site at www.dyna-ski.com
>
> I am strongly considering getting rid of all the wood in our boats even
> the balsa coring. What have you expects experienced in boat lines that
> have done this? Any seat of the pants comparisons among you?
>
> Pete

11 Feb 2007 14:45:09
One of the Pfankuch's
Re: What is new at Dyna-Ski Boats

We have started the video project. It will be done professionally. That is
the way we do everything. We need some soft water to do the 20' models. We
ran out of time last year.

Pete

g wrote:

> Hi Pete,
>
> I thought you were going to make a video of your boats.
> I'm not saying it has to be super professional.
> I made a video / I drove the boat and my friend operated
> the camera.
> 01:14 of video.
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOyEI5c_tAo
> "One of the Pfankuch's" <pfankuch@cybrzn.com> wrote in message
> > Lots going on at Dyna-Ski Boats.
> >
> > Check out our web site at www.dyna-ski.com
> >
> > I am strongly considering getting rid of all the wood in our boats even
> > the balsa coring. What have you expects experienced in boat lines that
> > have done this? Any seat of the pants comparisons among you?
> >
> > Pete

11 Feb 2007 14:46:48
One of the Pfankuch's
Re: What is new at Dyna-Ski Boats

You as big of help as always! Guess that is why no one posts on this board
or any other one that you frequent!

"R.J.(Bob) Evans" wrote:

> On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 08:39:52 -0600 One of the Pfankuch's
> <pfankuch@cybrzn.com> wrote:
>
> >Lots going on at Dyna-Ski Boats.
> >
> >Check out our web site at www.dyna-ski.com
> >
> >I am strongly considering getting rid of all the wood in our boats even
> >the balsa coring. What have you expects experienced in boat lines that
> >have done this? Any seat of the pants comparisons among you?
> >

> So you are thinking of taking the wood out of both the boats you build
> this year or just the 2nd one?
>
> --
> R.J.(Bob) Evans
> (return address needs alteration to work)

Re: What is new at Dyna-Ski Boats

Hi Pete,
My greatest concern, and I can't remember which one the
the boat manufactures went with the all new "no wooden stringers"
design, is that the stringers must be durable. Certainly your going to
have to test everything. I have only made one row boat and I ended
up putting the stringers on the bottom. Then I took it to the pilar point
harbor. They had like 10 boats just like mine upside down on the
beach, and they all the the stringers on the bottom. My
boat looked similar to their boats. Humm.
I was checking out this stringer thing. I am including a link.
It is about boat hull design failures, power boats included, and
reasons why there is hull failure.
Before you chanage anything your going to have it engineer everything
so that it is safe and then test a prototype.
There is 2 parts, only including this for ideas for you to think about.
http://www.yachtsurvey.com/HullFailPart1.htm
"One of the Pfankuch's" <pfankuch@cybrzn.com > wrote in message
> Lots going on at Dyna-Ski Boats.
>
> Check out our web site at www.dyna-ski.com
>
> I am strongly considering getting rid of all the wood in our boats even
> the balsa coring. What have you expects experienced in boat lines that
> have done this? Any seat of the pants comparisons among you?
>
> Pete

11 Feb 2007 15:34:33
JohnO

On Feb 12, 10:32 am, "g" <fri...@public.com > wrote:
> Hi Pete,
> My greatest concern, and I can't remember which one the
> the boat manufactures went with the all new "no wooden stringers"
> design, is that the stringers must be durable. Certainly your going to
> have to test everything. I have only made one row boat and I ended
> up putting the stringers on the bottom. Then I took it to the pilar point
> harbor. They had like 10 boats just like mine upside down on the
> beach, and they all the the stringers on the bottom. My
> boat looked similar to their boats. Humm.
> I was checking out this stringer thing. I am including a link.
> It is about boat hull design failures, power boats included, and
> reasons why there is hull failure.
> Before you chanage anything your going to have it engineer everything
> so that it is safe and then test a prototype.
> There is 2 parts, only including this for ideas for you to think about.http://www.yachtsurvey.com/HullFailPart1.htm
> "One of the Pfankuch's" <pfank...@cybrzn.com> wrote in messagenews:45CF2AB7.CAD0BD30@cybrzn.com...
>

> > Lots going on at Dyna-Ski Boats.
>
> > Check out our web site atwww.dyna-ski.com
>
> > I am strongly considering getting rid of all the wood in our boats even
> > the balsa coring. What have you expects experienced in boat lines that
> > have done this? Any seat of the pants comparisons among you?
>
> > Pete- Hide quoted text -

AIUI he's talking about relacing the wooden stringers with some sort
of composite material, not just removing them.

15 Feb 2007 07:21:54
One of the Pfankuch's
Re: What is new at Dyna-Ski Boats

Correct we would be using a couple of different products in place of the wood. Stronger and lighter materials but it may
require more fiberglass so any weight savings is likely to be offset by more materials used.

Our boats with wood being used tend to last forever if cared for reasonably, so I'm wondering what all you folks think of
it as a selling point also?

> AIUI he's talking about relacing the wooden stringers with some sort
> of composite material, not just removing them.

15 Feb 2007 11:00:16
JohnO

On Feb 16, 2:21 am, One of the Pfankuch's <pfank...@cybrzn.com > wrote:
> Correct we would be using a couple of different products in place of the wood. Stronger and lighter materials but it may
> require more fiberglass so any weight savings is likely to be offset by more materials used.
>
> Our boats with wood being used tend to last forever if cared for reasonably, so I'm wondering what all you folks think of
> it as a selling point also?
>

> > AIUI he's talking about relacing the wooden stringers with some sort
> > of composite material, not just removing them.- Hide quoted text -

I struggle to understand why the big issue up there with wood in
boats. down here you never hear talk of wood stringers rotting. Either
the wood, building design/practice or climate seems to make it a non-
problem.

There's still plenty of classic mahogany planked Chriscraft, Rivieras
and the like running around. They don't seem to be rotting away?

16 Feb 2007 10:39:58
One of the Pfankuch's
Re: What is new at Dyna-Ski Boats

Interesting observations.

I have a 1987 Hydrodyne with lots of wood in it. Wood stringers, wood in the transom and balsa coring. I don't go out of my
way to take special care of the boat. It is covered when it sits on the boat lift during the summer and stored in a garage in
the winter months. It has held up very well.

People still seemed to be very concerned about wood used in boat construction. I wonder if it is caused by the folks that have
not taken very good care of their investments have scared the rest of the buying public or was it caused by poor manufacturing
practices by boat builders or both?

Pete

JohnO wrote:

> I struggle to understand why the big issue up there with wood in
> boats. down here you never hear talk of wood stringers rotting. Either
> the wood, building design/practice or climate seems to make it a non-
> problem.
>
> There's still plenty of classic mahogany planked Chriscraft, Rivieras
> and the like running around. They don't seem to be rotting away?

Re: What is new at Dyna-Ski Boats

ok Pete,

When I bought my bayliner, I noticed that there was a soft spot on the floor
near the right rear seat. Apparently everybody gets in the boat from skiing
and water dripping all over the place, that's where the soft spot is. I
haven't pulled up the carpet yet, but I do hallucinate a slowly
deteriorating floor in that area. The boat is a '75 bayliner mutiny, at over
30 years I am the 3rd owner. If I did decide to pull up the carpet and
look -who knows what's there, I wouldn't pull up the whole floor just to fix
a soft spot. I am waiting for it to get even softer, I think I have a couple
more years there. Anybody with any imput on this. And Pete, what do you know
about soft floors and the tendency to weep into the lower stringers.
==========
About the dyne boats, have you got any data on your boats, including crazing
in the gelcoat in stress areas or stress cracking. Also interested to know
if your boats have experienced blistering in the hull surface.
greg:)
> Interesting observations.
>
> I have a 1987 Hydrodyne with lots of wood in it. Wood stringers, wood in
> the transom and balsa coring. I don't go out of my
> way to take special care of the boat. It is covered when it sits on the
> boat lift during the summer and stored in a garage in
> the winter months. It has held up very well.
>
> People still seemed to be very concerned about wood used in boat
> construction. I wonder if it is caused by the folks that have
> not taken very good care of their investments have scared the rest of the
> buying public or was it caused by poor manufacturing
> practices by boat builders or both?
>
> Pete
>
> JohnO wrote:
>
>> I struggle to understand why the big issue up there with wood in
>> boats. down here you never hear talk of wood stringers rotting. Either
>> the wood, building design/practice or climate seems to make it a non-
>> problem.
>>
>> There's still plenty of classic mahogany planked Chriscraft, Rivieras
>> and the like running around. They don't seem to be rotting away?

22 Feb 2007 15:21:57
One of the Pfankuch's
Re: What is new at Dyna-Ski Boats

Not being an expert on other peoples boats I can only speak about our boats and
Hydrodyne Outboard boats in general. That being said . . . .

If a boat is decently taken care of you will seldom have any problems. Some
boat manufacturers have had problems with almost any thing that you can
imagine! Employees (taking short cuts) and bad designs are the two biggest
problems!

The floors can usually be fixed by cutting an area slightly bigger than the soft
spot. Use resin on the bottom side and glass the top. Using "boat panels" is
the best wood for fixing the floors.

In our boats the stringers only hold up the floor so if they are soft it can
make for a spongy feeling floor but our boats will still run fine!

If water sits in the bottom of the boat, the stringers may get water logged (and
rot) eventually. I always pull the plug on my boat when it is on the lift,
trailer or in the garage.

I have never had a Hydrodyne or Dyna-Ski blister.

Hope this helps!

Pete