19 Jan 2004 18:43:18
Michael J. Halberstadt
Water won't pump and impeller removal

I tuned up our Malibu this weekend including replacing the water pump
impeller. When I start the boat water doesn't come out the exhaust. I
only let it run for about thirty seconds for fear of ruining the impeller.
A lot of water came out when I replaced the impeller as I had to pull the
hose off the impeller housing to get the impeller out. Which leads to my
second question how do you get the impellor out. I did loosen and the
remove the bracket that holds the impeller housing before removing the
hoses. Still had a devil of a time getting the impeller to come out.

Does the cooling system need to be primed and if so where?

2000 Wakesetter with 325 Monson engine.
I'm using a "fake a lake" gizmo for water.

Mike, San Diego

20 Jan 2004 07:34:40
Jeff Taylor
Re: Water won't pump and impeller removal

"Michael J. Halberstadt" <halbermj@cox.net > wrote in message
> I tuned up our Malibu this weekend including replacing the water pump
> impeller. When I start the boat water doesn't come out the exhaust. I
> only let it run for about thirty seconds for fear of ruining the impeller.
> A lot of water came out when I replaced the impeller as I had to pull the
> hose off the impeller housing to get the impeller out. Which leads to my
> second question how do you get the impellor out. I did loosen and the
> remove the bracket that holds the impeller housing before removing the
> hoses. Still had a devil of a time getting the impeller to come out.

It's possible that you put the impeller in backwards so it will not draw
water into the system??

To remove my impeller, I take a pair of vise grips and clamp them onto the
outer edge of the impeller, then take a hammer and tap the vise grip. This
has worked very well for me. Until I went this route, I spent nearly an hour
with screw drivers, etc... trying to get the darn thing out first time
around.

I have never primed my cooling system. Normally I setup the fake a lake and
turn on water, then I start the motor. Normally after 10 - 15 seconds I have
water coming out of the exhaust.

One thing you can also do is lube the impeller with Vaseline so it is not
running dry until water is flowing...

Good luck,
Jeff T.

21 Jan 2004 12:18:34
David McNally
Re: Water won't pump and impeller removal

"Michael J. Halberstadt" <halbermj@cox.net > wrote in message news:<9B0Pb.7355$bg1.3636@fed1read05>...
> I tuned up our Malibu this weekend including replacing the water pump
> impeller. When I start the boat water doesn't come out the exhaust. I
> only let it run for about thirty seconds for fear of ruining the impeller.
> A lot of water came out when I replaced the impeller as I had to pull the
> hose off the impeller housing to get the impeller out. Which leads to my
> second question how do you get the impellor out. I did loosen and the
> remove the bracket that holds the impeller housing before removing the
> hoses. Still had a devil of a time getting the impeller to come out.
>
> Does the cooling system need to be primed and if so where?
>
> 2000 Wakesetter with 325 Monson engine.
> I'm using a "fake a lake" gizmo for water.
>
> Mike, San Diego

Hoses reversed?