09 Aug 2004 15:46:59
Jerry Walker
Steering Cable on '89 Nautique

Steering on my '89 2001 Nautique has become stiff and I've been
advised to replace the cable. I'm told that the Correct Craft cable
is 17.5 feet long but have found available only 18 ft Telefelex cable.
Will this work?

Also, I've read in this Group that the Nautique requires a "special"
cable that has 10" of travel rather than the standard 8". Is this
true and if I use the standard 18 foot Teleflex cable will it
significantly effect the turning radius of my Nautique?

Thanks for any help you can provide,
Jerry Walker

10 Aug 2004 14:11:33
Jim Thompson
Re: Steering Cable on '89 Nautique

jlwalker@lakeozarkfun.com (Jerry Walker) wrote in message news:<603ccf7a.0408091446.70f82679@posting.google.com >...
> Steering on my '89 2001 Nautique has become stiff and I've been
> advised to replace the cable. I'm told that the Correct Craft cable
> is 17.5 feet long but have found available only 18 ft Telefelex cable.
> Will this work?
>
> Also, I've read in this Group that the Nautique requires a "special"
> cable that has 10" of travel rather than the standard 8". Is this
> true and if I use the standard 18 foot Teleflex cable will it
> significantly effect the turning radius of my Nautique?
>
> Thanks for any help you can provide,
> Jerry Walker

I know the mid 80's 2001 required the special Nautique cable at twice the price.
A friend tried the short throw cable and we couldn't turn very far to port!

It used to be dealer only item. Nautique nuts help him out...

11 Aug 2004 03:10:12
MJCJ T
Re: Steering Cable on '89 Nautique

I had a 1986 nautique and the cable broke. It had a 19'6" cable and the
dealer advised me if he could get it, it would cost $350 to replace. He
advised me they are hard to come by because it is a special cable. I found a
19" Teleflex cable locally for $125 and put it in. After this the boat never
turn as sharp. I had to adjust the cable block in the back of the boat so I
could turn equally both sides. After I got it adjusted it worked ok but is
was never quite right.

Good Luck Joe T