14 Jun 2005 21:11:53
doug thomas
Piece of Art Work Needed

Here in Welland Ontario we are engaged in the waterskiiing wakeboarding
fight of our lives.

The Parks and Recreation Department has blocked off access to our waterway,
the Welland Recreational Waterway, and we have only a few days to marshall
forces to fight this closure.

Council will be voting on approving the closing of the canal to all
motorized boats.

For those of you who have never skiied here our Welland Recreational
Waterway is part of the old Welland Canal, and, as I was told by members of
the U.S. Barefoot team back in 1988, the flattest and best waterskiing
location in Eastern North America, as the walls are high and waves are rare.

My office is across the street from City Hall, and I am having a sign
painter covering my picture window with a protest sign.

Can anyone link me to a graphic of a waterskier to use as part of the sign
for tomorrow.

Thank you in advance

Doug Thomas
Welland Ontario

15 Jun 2005 03:54:50
Tom Ruta
Re: Piece of Art Work Needed

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 21:11:53 -0400, "doug thomas" <thomform@iaw.on.ca >
wrote:

>Here in Welland Ontario we are engaged in the waterskiiing wakeboarding
>fight of our lives.
>
>The Parks and Recreation Department has blocked off access to our waterway,
>the Welland Recreational Waterway, and we have only a few days to marshall
>forces to fight this closure.
>
>Council will be voting on approving the closing of the canal to all
>motorized boats.
>
>For those of you who have never skiied here our Welland Recreational
>Waterway is part of the old Welland Canal, and, as I was told by members of
>the U.S. Barefoot team back in 1988, the flattest and best waterskiing
>location in Eastern North America, as the walls are high and waves are rare.
>
>My office is across the street from City Hall, and I am having a sign
>painter covering my picture window with a protest sign.
>
>Can anyone link me to a graphic of a waterskier to use as part of the sign
>for tomorrow.

The free online Microsoft PowerPoint clip art gallery is a good place
to start. Lots of free clip art there.

Frankly, you need to get a different angle on this. What is the ban
against? All speed boats? Only skiers? How is it being enacted?
Authority? There is significant and relevant case law in Canada that
has struck down such bans. In addition, if there is commercial
traffic on this waterway it might actually be a Federal area. Here's
a link to a sample that shows how a bicycle ban was overturned:
http://www.elbowvalleycc.org/evccspbk.html I was involved in this and
it was major fun. :)

18 Jun 2005 09:47:20
Ed
Re: Piece of Art Work Needed

Hey Doug,
I don't read this alot anymore but we were just talking about
trying to start the skiclub back-up again in the canal. Have you told
Andy Jackson or John Schmidt about this? I know that the city told Andy
next year would be a possibility, so something must have happened in
the meantime. This doesn't have anything to do with those bullshit
dragon boat races does it? Or those damn retarded RC sailboaters?
There is plenty of room for everyone there. What we should do is stop
this and get the club going again and run it right this time. Andy has
all kinds of time on his hands now. I'll be in Welland tonight at the
Niagara Raceway. If you want to call me go ahead 1-716-549-1622 or
949-6747(cell)
I know a lot of guys that would not like to see this happen.
The wakeboarders destroyed the club.
Give me a number where I can reach you?

18 Jun 2005 20:21:04
doug thomas
Re: Piece of Art Work Needed

"Ed" <LakesideAvenue@netscape.com > wrote in message
> Hey Doug,
> I don't read this alot anymore but we were just talking about
> trying to start the skiclub back-up again in the canal. Have you told
> Andy Jackson or John Schmidt about this? I know that the city told Andy
> next year would be a possibility, so something must have happened in
> the meantime. This doesn't have anything to do with those bullshit
> dragon boat races does it? Or those damn retarded RC sailboaters?
> There is plenty of room for everyone there. What we should do is stop
> this and get the club going again and run it right this time. Andy has
> all kinds of time on his hands now. I'll be in Welland tonight at the
> Niagara Raceway. If you want to call me go ahead 1-716-549-1622 or
> 949-6747(cell)
> I know a lot of guys that would not like to see this happen.
> The wakeboarders destroyed the club.
> Give me a number where I can reach you?

My home number is 905-788-00245 and work is 905-732-5529