31 May 2004 21:36:42
Bert
Nautique lost all electrical power

I was pulling a skier today, hit the wake of another boat, and lost
all electrical power (and the engine) in an instant. It was like
someone had turned out the lights. No blower, no bilge pump, no
lights, no gauges, no ignition, no nothing.

Ended up getting towed back to the ramp. I thought that perhaps a post
had broken off the battery, but it tested OK.

Any ideas on what this might be, or where to start? The boat is a 1990
Ski Nautique with a PleasureCraft 351 Ford conversion.

Thanks in advance.

31 May 2004 20:41:14
Mark Kovalcson
Re: Nautique lost all electrical power

I've seen the same thing when there is an intermittent connection between
the battery and the engine.

Check your battery cables, specifically the end connectors.

"Bert" <tarbabyNOSPAM@houston.rr.com > wrote in message
> I was pulling a skier today, hit the wake of another boat, and lost
> all electrical power (and the engine) in an instant. It was like
> someone had turned out the lights. No blower, no bilge pump, no
> lights, no gauges, no ignition, no nothing.
>
> Ended up getting towed back to the ramp. I thought that perhaps a post
> had broken off the battery, but it tested OK.
>
> Any ideas on what this might be, or where to start? The boat is a 1990
> Ski Nautique with a PleasureCraft 351 Ford conversion.
>
> Thanks in advance.

31 May 2004 21:16:56
Doug Meredith
Re: Nautique lost all electrical power

Start at the battery, and check terminals. All power goes from the
battery to the starter, and then is put out from there, so start checking
with a test light, and work your way around. If you have a battery
switch, check that. I'm not sure on a SN, how the kill switch works, and
what it kills. But check that also.

Make sure that you look at grounds, not just hot wires.

"Bert" <tarbabyNOSPAM@houston.rr.com > wrote in message
> I was pulling a skier today, hit the wake of another boat, and lost
> all electrical power (and the engine) in an instant. It was like
> someone had turned out the lights. No blower, no bilge pump, no
> lights, no gauges, no ignition, no nothing.
>
> Ended up getting towed back to the ramp. I thought that perhaps a post
> had broken off the battery, but it tested OK.
>
> Any ideas on what this might be, or where to start? The boat is a 1990
> Ski Nautique with a PleasureCraft 351 Ford conversion.
>
> Thanks in advance.

01 Jun 2004 11:40:12
Cameron Seeber
Re: Nautique lost all electrical power

Check the lanyard switch.
Im not sure if the Ski Nautique has one, but the 210 team does.
Had this problem were the new owner rang up on the first day and had pulled
the lanyard cord out.

Cam

"Bert" <tarbabyNOSPAM@houston.rr.com > wrote in message
> I was pulling a skier today, hit the wake of another boat, and lost
> all electrical power (and the engine) in an instant. It was like
> someone had turned out the lights. No blower, no bilge pump, no
> lights, no gauges, no ignition, no nothing.
>
> Ended up getting towed back to the ramp. I thought that perhaps a post
> had broken off the battery, but it tested OK.
>
> Any ideas on what this might be, or where to start? The boat is a 1990
> Ski Nautique with a PleasureCraft 351 Ford conversion.
>
> Thanks in advance.

01 Jun 2004 02:29:56
Bert
Re: Nautique lost all electrical power

No lanyard on the 1990 Nautique, but thanks.

On Tue, 1 Jun 2004 11:40:12 +1000, "Cameron Seeber"
<news@seeber.net.au > wrote:

>Check the lanyard switch.
>Im not sure if the Ski Nautique has one, but the 210 team does.
>Had this problem were the new owner rang up on the first day and had pulled
>the lanyard cord out.
>
>Cam
>

>"Bert" <tarbabyNOSPAM@houston.rr.com> wrote in message
>> I was pulling a skier today, hit the wake of another boat, and lost
>> all electrical power (and the engine) in an instant. It was like
>> someone had turned out the lights. No blower, no bilge pump, no
>> lights, no gauges, no ignition, no nothing.
>>
>> Ended up getting towed back to the ramp. I thought that perhaps a post
>> had broken off the battery, but it tested OK.
>>
>> Any ideas on what this might be, or where to start? The boat is a 1990
>> Ski Nautique with a PleasureCraft 351 Ford conversion.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.

01 Jun 2004 04:12:42
Hammrski
Re: Nautique lost all electrical power

>The boat is a 1990
>Ski Nautique with a PleasureCraft 351 Ford conversion.

Converted from what?? Is it the original engine? If so, you might want to
check the main engine breaker on the back of the engine. How about the main
ignition breaker on the dash? Is it popped out? Check wires on the back side
of that also.

Hope that helps!
Jim
http://www.hammerski.com
Hammer's Ski & Marine, Inc.
Petaluma, Ca.

01 Jun 2004 12:26:12
Bert
Re: Nautique lost all electrical power

Converted from auto to marine use. Yes, it is the original engine.
The main ignition breaker on the dash is OK, but I need to check the
wiring on the back side of that panel.

The main engine breaker on the back of the engine seems OK, but I will
test it.

Thanks for your suggestions.

>Converted from what?? Is it the original engine? If so, you might want to
>check the main engine breaker on the back of the engine. How about the main
>ignition breaker on the dash? Is it popped out? Check wires on the back side
>of that also.
>
>Hope that helps!
>Jim
>http://www.hammerski.com
>Hammer's Ski & Marine, Inc.
>Petaluma, Ca.

01 Jun 2004 15:40:35
Bert
Re: Nautique lost all electrical power

Jim - It turned out to be a wire on the main ignition breaker on the
dash. It had corroded and broken loose. Very easy fix.

Thanks!