12 Sep 2005 13:19:43
Mike T
Is my rope too long?

I have been finding that dew of my boarders can clear the wake when
they are jumping. We are all new to the sport, so we are not sure if
we still suck(probably) but some times it just seems impossible to
clear the wake in the air and other times it seems easy for a few of
us. I am now thinking maybe the rope is too long so we are trying to
launch over a wide part of the wake. Is there a rule of thumb? What
is a good rope length for beginners? or is it not a skill related thing?

12 Sep 2005 22:05:30
R.J.(Bob) Evans
Re: Is my rope too long?

On 12 Sep 2005 13:19:43 -0700 "Mike T" <miketaggart@gmail.com > wrote:

> What
>is a good rope length for beginners?
Short enough so you can clear the wake. Don't sweat the length - just
get it short enough so you can land on the downside of the wake

>or is it not a skill related thing?
Skill and timing. I'm no expert but I've seen lots of kids learn.
You need to learn to hit the wake and make your legs stiff at the same
time. Once you have that mastered then you can start lengthening the
rope out again.

I might have the name wrong but I think my kids have a video called
"Higher Education" that helped them a lot.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
(return address needs alteration to work)

13 Sep 2005 08:25:21
JJG
Re: Is my rope too long?

Bob is right. I am no expert either, especially since I am an old man with
little skills. But one thing my kids say, I can really "jump" the wake.
But it really isn't "jumping". Despite everything that you would think, you
don't really jump when you hit the wake. It is more important to "load" the
line(it is a progressive approach as you approach the wake, putting more
into it as you reach the peak of the wake), and as you approach the top or
ramp of the wake, it is a springing of the knees that gives you the height
and distance required to clear the wake. Shorten the rope, slow down, and
work on technique. once you get that "spring" feeling, then start adding
length and speed.

I am sure there are others out there that can help explain better.