26 Aug 2004 20:58:09
Lindsay
Flip a SN ?

It is possible to flip a SN?

We only tow tubes occasionally on our 91 SN, today on a calm day, while
tubing 2 kids at lower speeds (~20mph), we turned and accelerated into
our wake(actually 3 circles of wake), the bow bit hard into a wave and
the boat rolled very hard.

We have spent a heck of time in the boat any never felt anything close
to that. I keep telling my wife it could not of been as bad as it felt
in the boat and that that there is no way to flip it....is there?

26 Aug 2004 21:56:27
DB
Re: Flip a SN ?

I've seen one land on its side and fill full of water. About 8' in the
bottom. Luckily the bilge pump was a good one. He had all the water out in
about 30 min or so. Hit a huge wave from a cruiser on lake muskoka at about
20 mph while turning. All the passengers were thrown out of the boat.
Including the driver. No one got in for awhile...till the water was almost
gone. I was in a nearby boat. The passengers got the worst of it. The
boat was fine. Never scene anything like it. The wave caused most of the
water to enter the boat. It never looked like it would flip.

Drew

"Lindsay" <"lindsay.mcrory"@NOSPAMoceanpilot. com > wrote in message
> It is possible to flip a SN?
>
> We only tow tubes occasionally on our 91 SN, today on a calm day, while
> tubing 2 kids at lower speeds (~20mph), we turned and accelerated into
> our wake(actually 3 circles of wake), the bow bit hard into a wave and
> the boat rolled very hard.
>
> We have spent a heck of time in the boat any never felt anything close
> to that. I keep telling my wife it could not of been as bad as it felt
> in the boat and that that there is no way to flip it....is there?

---

DB
Re: Flip a SN ?

ops 8" not 8'
"DB" <a2footer@hotmail.com > wrote in message
> I've seen one land on its side and fill full of water. About 8' in the
> bottom. Luckily the bilge pump was a good one. He had all the water out
in
> about 30 min or so. Hit a huge wave from a cruiser on lake muskoka at
about
> 20 mph while turning. All the passengers were thrown out of the boat.
> Including the driver. No one got in for awhile...till the water was
almost
> gone. I was in a nearby boat. The passengers got the worst of it. The
> boat was fine. Never scene anything like it. The wave caused most of the
> water to enter the boat. It never looked like it would flip.
>
> Drew
>
> "Lindsay" <"lindsay.mcrory"@NOSPAMoceanpilot. com> wrote in message
> > It is possible to flip a SN?
> >
> > We only tow tubes occasionally on our 91 SN, today on a calm day, while
> > tubing 2 kids at lower speeds (~20mph), we turned and accelerated into
> > our wake(actually 3 circles of wake), the bow bit hard into a wave and
> > the boat rolled very hard.
> >
> > We have spent a heck of time in the boat any never felt anything close
> > to that. I keep telling my wife it could not of been as bad as it felt
> > in the boat and that that there is no way to flip it....is there?
> >

> ---

---

joe monsour
Re: Flip a SN ?

Any boat can be flipped if it hits the right wave. Something tells me you
were nowhere close to it. I have been driving SN's for a long time, even if
you bring water over the side it would have to be enough to fill the boat at
once or it will right itself in the water, like a weeble wobble.
Now if you launch the SN into the air off some 10' wave sending the boat
into cartwheels or something like that.....I say ya it would flip. Other
than that you would have to try really really hard to flip it.
It easy to bring water over the windshield or hose the back seat, but to
bring it over the side you gotta try hard.

Back in like '95 I read an article in the "Nautique News". This guy had his
signature ed. out west in some huge lake, when a massive storm came in.
Said it was like the ocean, he tried making it back to the dock. Waves
where coming over the bow while he was under power.
The bilge was running but couldn't keep up as the boat filled up with water
it kept running, even when all that was out the water was the windshield,
motorbox and the driver.
Eventually the engine sucked in some water and died. He got picked up by
another boater. The next day he found the boat and towed it to a dock and
had it craned out, there minimal damage to the boat after inspection.
If your ever in Orlando tour the plant, you'll learn alot....some would say
worth the trip.

CC puts enough foam in the right places it can only sink to the top of the
gunwales, kinda like a canoe won't really sink. it floats at the top of the
water.

just my babble...

Shatgid
SKI HARD OR GO HOME !!