23 Sep 2003 13:53:42
Albert
Did Silverthorn Resort@ Lake Shasta cheat us?

Hello

We rented a Malibu speed boat @ Silverthorn Resort, Lake Shasta. We
are in-experienced speed boat riders and hence we asked for insurance
for speed boat. Silverthorn folks do not offer any such insurance. So
we had to pay the deposit and rent the boat.

When we returned in the evening, there were scratches on the fiber
glass body (22 inches total), mainly during loading and unloading
to/from houseboat. For these scratches they charged us whopping 25
dollars per inch and took out 500 dollars from our deposit.

Any ideas, comments whether Silverthorn overcharged us for these
scratches? Note that when we rented the spped boat they never
mentioned anything about this charges directly. There was a small
footnote on the contract about damge waivers.

Thanks

Albert

23 Sep 2003 17:56:56
Sled Monkey
Re: Did Silverthorn Resort@ Lake Shasta cheat us?

Did you scratch their boat? If you did then they are entitled to charge you
the amount that you and they agreed upon for such damage in your rental
agreement.

Pay the amount...and for God's sake be more careful next time.

"Albert" <a_l_b_e_r_t2003@yahoo.com > wrote in message
> Hello
>
> We rented a Malibu speed boat @ Silverthorn Resort, Lake Shasta. We
> are in-experienced speed boat riders and hence we asked for insurance
> for speed boat. Silverthorn folks do not offer any such insurance. So
> we had to pay the deposit and rent the boat.
>
> When we returned in the evening, there were scratches on the fiber
> glass body (22 inches total), mainly during loading and unloading
> to/from houseboat. For these scratches they charged us whopping 25
> dollars per inch and took out 500 dollars from our deposit.
>
> Any ideas, comments whether Silverthorn overcharged us for these
> scratches? Note that when we rented the spped boat they never
> mentioned anything about this charges directly. There was a small
> footnote on the contract about damge waivers.
>
> Thanks
>
> Albert

23 Sep 2003 18:48:32
R.J.(Bob) Evans
Re: Did Silverthorn Resort@ Lake Shasta cheat us?

On 23 Sep 2003 13:53:42 -0700 a_l_b_e_r_t2003@yahoo.com (Albert)
wrote:

>Any ideas, comments whether Silverthorn overcharged us for these
>scratches? Note that when we rented the spped boat they never
>mentioned anything about this charges directly. There was a small
>footnote on the contract about damge waivers.

If you agreed not to damage the boat and subsequently scratched it
then you owe them for the necessary repairs. I don't think we have
put 20 scratches on our boat in 2 years and 200 hours. Maybe you
should have been more careful.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
(return address needs alteration to work)

24 Sep 2003 16:42:01
Bocİ
Re: Did Silverthorn Resort@ Lake Shasta cheat us?

"Albert" <a_l_b_e_r_t2003@yahoo.com > wrote in message
> Hello
>
> We rented a Malibu speed boat @ Silverthorn Resort, Lake Shasta. We
> are in-experienced speed boat riders and hence we asked for insurance
> for speed boat. Silverthorn folks do not offer any such insurance. So
> we had to pay the deposit and rent the boat.
>
> When we returned in the evening, there were scratches on the fiber
> glass body (22 inches total), mainly during loading and unloading
> to/from houseboat. For these scratches they charged us whopping 25
> dollars per inch and took out 500 dollars from our deposit.
>
> Any ideas, comments whether Silverthorn overcharged us for these
> scratches? Note that when we rented the spped boat they never
> mentioned anything about this charges directly. There was a small
> footnote on the contract about damge waivers.
>
> Thanks
>
> Albert

If this was your $30 000 boat would you have scratched it as much ?

If everyone that hires the boat treated it the same way , how much do you
think the boat would be worth in a few years ?

If they went and put 22 Inches of scratches on your new car would you be
upset ?

I think its fair you pay for what damages you have caused. Repairs to gel
coat on a boat is not cheap at all - Next time be more careful

Boc

24 Sep 2003 16:43:58
Bocİ

"R.J.(Bob) Evans" <bob d0t evans at sasktel d0t net > wrote in message
> On 23 Sep 2003 13:53:42 -0700 a_l_b_e_r_t2003@yahoo.com (Albert)
> wrote:
>
> >Any ideas, comments whether Silverthorn overcharged us for these
> >scratches? Note that when we rented the spped boat they never
> >mentioned anything about this charges directly. There was a small
> >footnote on the contract about damge waivers.
>
> If you agreed not to damage the boat and subsequently scratched it
> then you owe them for the necessary repairs. I don't think we have
> put 20 scratches on our boat in 2 years and 200 hours. Maybe you
> should have been more careful.

Agreed - I have had my boat for 3 years now - and the only scratch I have is
a small one caused by someone dragging a fin from there ski on the edge of
the boat ( small scratch ) and that's at minimum 300 hours of boat time

Boc

24 Sep 2003 12:18:37
Michael Rothwell

Albert wrote:
> Hello
>
> We rented a Malibu speed boat @ Silverthorn Resort, Lake Shasta. We
> are in-experienced speed boat riders and hence we asked for insurance
> for speed boat. Silverthorn folks do not offer any such insurance. So
> we had to pay the deposit and rent the boat.
>
> When we returned in the evening, there were scratches on the fiber
> glass body (22 inches total), mainly during loading and unloading
> to/from houseboat. For these scratches they charged us whopping 25
> dollars per inch and took out 500 dollars from our deposit.
>
> Any ideas, comments whether Silverthorn overcharged us for these
> scratches? Note that when we rented the spped boat they never
> mentioned anything about this charges directly. There was a small
> footnote on the contract about damge waivers.
>
> Thanks
>
> Albert

I would say you are getting off cheap. In 7 years of owning my boat I
didn't have more than a couple small scratches on it. This includes
houseboat trips, one on Shasta. You were simply irresponsible to have
put that many scratches on a boat.

Michael

--
There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does
not want merely because you think it would be good for him. -- Robert

26 Sep 2003 12:32:26
Rod McInnis
Re: Did Silverthorn Resort@ Lake Shasta cheat us?

> When we returned in the evening, there were scratches on the fiber
> glass body (22 inches total), mainly during loading and unloading
> to/from houseboat. For these scratches they charged us whopping 25
> dollars per inch and took out 500 dollars from our deposit.

I certainly would not have been happy to get a nice boat back with scratches
in the hull. You say it was from loading the houseboat, which indicates
that you know you did it and why. Were these scratches from where the hull
of the ski boat rubbed up against the houseboat? Or did you slide ice
chests, suit cases, etc. across the deck?

Houseboats tend to be "bangers", built with the intention that the outer
edge is going to get banged up. Usually made of painted steel, they can take
a beating. A little paint of the rough spots, don't worry about the small
stuff.

Ski boats are not made that way. They are made of fiberglass, finished with
a shiny gel coat. The boat just does't look as good once it gets all
scratched up. You have to be careful, keep the boat from rubbing up against
hard objects (like houseboats). Did the marina include fenders with the ski
boat? Did you use them? A fender is a cheap, soft squishy thing you put
between the ski boat and the dock/houseboat. You still have to be careful,
as improper placement can result in the boat still hitting, and really big
wakes can overwhealm the fender.

> Any ideas, comments whether Silverthorn overcharged us for these
> scratches?

Can you describe these "scratches" ??

A scratch can be a minor surface mark that a bit of work with a buffer and
rubbing compound can erase. If you run your finger nail over the scratch
and can't "catch an edge" then there is a good chance that it will rub out.
It would take a couple of hours for someone to buff out the scratches and
blend it in with the rest of the boat. Note that the gel coat has just been
reduced some, so if this process is repeated too many times it can get to a
point where there is no more gel coat to work with.

If the scratch is deep, then it needs to be filled. Repairing gel coat and
having it look decent is an art form. $500 is CHEAP if they have to repair
the gel coat.

>Note that when we rented the spped boat they never
> mentioned anything about this charges directly. There was a small
> footnote on the contract about damge waivers.

In general, you are liable for ANYTHING you rent. A car at the airport, a
truck at U-haul, or a tool at the rental yard. You damage it, you pay.
Things that are considered normal wear and tear are generally excluded, so
if a tire blows out while you are driving you probably aren't going to be
held responsible. Drive the wrong way through a parking lot barrier and pop
the tires on the spikes and they will charge you for new tires. Break the
tool, or bring the car back with a dent and there will be charges.

Rod McInnis

> Thanks
>
> Albert

27 Sep 2003 11:27:01
Steven
Re: Did Silverthorn Resort@ Lake Shasta cheat us?

It's the small footnotes that get you every time. You are liable. Be more
careful next time.