23 Aug 2004 20:56:37
Claude Siadaczka
Connelly FX or HO Charger/Magnum

Hello All:

I am looking to get a new ski. I just started but am advancing at a good
pace. I am 6"4 210 lbs. I was thinking the HO Charger(69inch) /
Magnum(71inch) or the Connelly FX(70inch). Which do you recommend and why. I
am also leaning towards the FX because its so much cheaper. I found it for
269 with With Front Adjustable Velcro w/ RTS Bindings or 349 with Stoker
Boot and RTP. The Ho Charger are 420 with the Venon Boot and RTP. Which
would you get, and what size 69,70, or 71 for me?. I don't want to make a
mistake with this much money. Also should I upgrade to the Stoker/Venon
binding or just go with stock.

Thanks,

Claude

27 Aug 2004 18:50:55
sheridany
Re: Connelly FX or HO Charger/Magnum

"Claude Siadaczka" <claudes@liberate.com > wrote in message news:<EowWc.11836$_H5.271614@news20.bellglobal.com>...
> Hello All:
>
> I am looking to get a new ski. I just started but am advancing at a good
> pace. I am 6"4 210 lbs. I was thinking the HO Charger(69inch) /
> Magnum(71inch) or the Connelly FX(70inch). Which do you recommend and why. I
> am also leaning towards the FX because its so much cheaper. I found it for
> 269 with With Front Adjustable Velcro w/ RTS Bindings or 349 with Stoker
> Boot and RTP. The Ho Charger are 420 with the Venon Boot and RTP. Which
> would you get, and what size 69,70, or 71 for me?. I don't want to make a
> mistake with this much money. Also should I upgrade to the Stoker/Venon
> binding or just go with stock.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Claude

First question is what is your skiing level? Are you skiing the
course or just getting started.
I started skiing on the magnum and I think it is a great ski for
bigger skiers but with your height and weight, I would go with no more
than a 69 or 70 inch ski. I have not skiied the FX or the charger so
I can speak for those models specifically. The magnum is a wider ski
and makes it easier to get up and a good all around ski. A wider ski
makes it easier to ski at a slower speed to refine your technique.
Don't let price drive your decision without at least testing both skis
with the bindings you are interested in. I highly recommend getting
the better boot for you want to have a good snug comfortable fit that
will hold you well. RTP are a personal preference versus a boot in
the back. I used to hate my back boot and now I can't ski without it.
Another suggestion I would make is to look for a used ski possibly so
you can limit the cost. I have graduated from the magnum and had I
known what I know now, I would have bought it used. There are some
great sites out on the web with a nice inventory of used ski
equipment. Try http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php. I
have seen some of the skis you are interested in.
Good Luck

30 Aug 2004 06:42:41
Reed B.
Re: Connelly FX or HO Charger/Magnum

As the other poster said, it depends on your ability, how much you ski
and what you intend to do. I've been on a Charger/Venom&RTP for the
last three years. I'm 6'2" 235. I've really enjoyed the ski. I'm
close to completing the course at 15 off/28MPH. I would not go to the
Magnum, it will have lots of lift and you'll have to put too much
weight on your back foot to get it to turn, unless you intend to gain
about 40 pounds.

If you're free skiing, the Charger is a great ski. If you intend to
ski the course & will be skiing weekly, I'd recommend going to one of
the narrower skis (70" CR7/D3/Goode) as you will progress quickly and
want something that hooks up better, thought these are more expensive.

I've not skied the Connelly, but have friends who ski it and enjoy it.
Their ski/bindings are too small for me to ski.

If you intend to ski the course, upgrade the binding, otherwise you
should be fine.

Reed