01 Dec 2003 18:42:21
Bill
Can't get up!!

I've been skiing for 30+ years and just bought a new Connely F1 ski with the
double wrap bindings. Problem is I'm having trouble with deep water starts.
Sometimes it takes me 5 tries and it's driving me crazy. I've also started
wearing a dry suit about the same time which may complicate the problem.

Any tips on techniques for deep water starts with two feet in?

01 Dec 2003 11:42:59
Jeff Taylor
Re: Can't get up!!

"Bill" <rwilliamtaylor@hotmail.com > wrote in message
> I've been skiing for 30+ years and just bought a new Connely F1 ski with
the
> double wrap bindings. Problem is I'm having trouble with deep water
starts.
> Sometimes it takes me 5 tries and it's driving me crazy. I've also started
> wearing a dry suit about the same time which may complicate the problem.
>
> Any tips on techniques for deep water starts with two feet in?

Knees to your chest at the very start, and as you start to get up, push with
the back foot a little, this has worked for my wife and son when they
switched over to double high wraps... Don't forget to let the boat pull you,
don't try and pull yourself out of the water...

The extra drag of the drysuit will take some getting use to...

YMMV,
Jeff

01 Dec 2003 21:02:31
fastsk8r
Re: Can't get up!!

Bill,

I experienced the same thing on my HO Extreme the first time I skied on
it. I finally discovered that it actually wasn't so much me as it was
the boat and driver. I finally had to have him tighten up, then go
steady but firm up to full throttle (it is a 310 hp boat with a 4 blade
stainless OJ prop) and the ski blows water back in my face like there is
no tomorrow on start-up. But if my driver hits that consistently, I can
get it without fail. I helped another skier with the same ski with
animal bindings who had the same problem. The driver wasn't giving him
enough throttle to bring him up. I have discovered that it is worse when
using a full wet or dry suit. If the driver does the pull correctly, it
won't rip your arms off when pulling you up. The key is the firm
increase to full throttle. You will drag briefly and will have to hold
the ski straight, but after the inital drag, you should go up. BTW, it
took me 5 tries to finally figure this out. I drank a lot of alligator
pee going to the school of hard knocks.

Fastsk8r

Bill wrote:
> I've been skiing for 30+ years and just bought a new Connely F1 ski with the
> double wrap bindings. Problem is I'm having trouble with deep water starts.
> Sometimes it takes me 5 tries and it's driving me crazy. I've also started
> wearing a dry suit about the same time which may complicate the problem.
>
> Any tips on techniques for deep water starts with two feet in?

01 Dec 2003 21:23:15
Re: Can't get up!!

Bill wrote:
> I've been skiing for 30+ years and just bought a new Connely F1 ski with the
> double wrap bindings. Problem is I'm having trouble with deep water starts.
> Sometimes it takes me 5 tries and it's driving me crazy. I've also started

Definitely takes some adjustment with double boots AND a dry suit. One
of the things I discovered this fall with my dry suit is that I have a
tendency to go bow legged during the pull up. The added drag of my dry
suit causes me to tilt toward the side, and makes me look sillier than
usual. Forcing my knees closer together cured that problem by limiting
the extra drag of the dry suit. I still look silly, but manage to get
out of the water.

03 Dec 2003 07:51:33
Grover
Re: Can't get up!!

Same idea on the throttle, tell the driver to gently let the boat be all
that it can be. Keep moving toward W.O.T. until you are up or off, as far as
I'm concerned.

Same idea on position, think small and compact. Don't worry to much about
the ski, just keep your knees tucked and up high and let the fin keep it
straight. Butt to ski until it's way past the "obvious" time to stand up.

Welcome to the human race.

Good luck.

04 Dec 2003 08:38:14
Jim Thompson
Re: Can't get up!!

"Bill" <rwilliamtaylor@hotmail.com > wrote in message news:<hYLyb.184596$Dw6.706744@attbi_s02>...
> I've been skiing for 30+ years and just bought a new Connely F1 ski with the
> double wrap bindings. Problem is I'm having trouble with deep water starts.
> Sometimes it takes me 5 tries and it's driving me crazy. I've also started
> wearing a dry suit about the same time which may complicate the problem.
>
> Any tips on techniques for deep water starts with two feet in?

It is actually easier to start on a slalom ski if you let the ski drift to
the side about 30 deg. Keep you knees pulled up tight as possible. The fin
will straighten you out.

If you get water in the face, duck your face down and let it hit the top
of your head.

DON'T push on your back foot, it increases drag. Try to keep some pressure on
your front foot.

04 Dec 2003 11:01:04
Jeff Taylor
Re: Can't get up!!

"Jim Thompson" <jim.thompson@lagosantafe.com > wrote in message

> DON'T push on your back foot, it increases drag. Try to keep some
pressure on
> your front foot.

Both wife and son were having trouble getting up with double high wraps,
after telling them to push slightly with there back foot,
they both popped right up... It seems to stabilize the front of the ski, not
letting it shoot to the side.

One other thing that works very well for learning, is a deep-V rope:
http://www.sportideas.com/owadevhawaro.html

YMMV,
Jeff T.

05 Dec 2003 01:02:19
flya750
Re: Can't get up!!

Bill,

Is the handle coming out of your hands on startup? Or are you just not
getting up?

"Bill" <rwilliamtaylor@hotmail.com > wrote in message
> I've been skiing for 30+ years and just bought a new Connely F1 ski with
the
> double wrap bindings. Problem is I'm having trouble with deep water
starts.
> Sometimes it takes me 5 tries and it's driving me crazy. I've also started
> wearing a dry suit about the same time which may complicate the problem.
>
> Any tips on techniques for deep water starts with two feet in?

02 Mar 2004 06:03:05
herman
Re: Can't get up!!

"Jeff Taylor" <foiler@hotpop.com > wrote in message

> "Jim Thompson" <jim.thompson@lagosantafe.com> wrote in message
> >
> > DON'T push on your back foot, it increases drag. Try to keep some
> pressure on
> > your front foot.
>
> Both wife and son were having trouble getting up with double high wraps,
> after telling them to push slightly with there back foot,
> they both popped right up... It seems to stabilize the front of the ski,
not
> letting it shoot to the side.

yeah if u weigh 50 pounds that might work

> One other thing that works very well for learning, is a deep-V rope:
> http://www.sportideas.com/owadevhawaro.html
>
> YMMV,
> Jeff T.

02 Mar 2004 08:08:52
Jeff Taylor
Re: Can't get up!!

"herman" <email@adress.there > wrote in message

> yeah if u weigh 50 pounds that might work

My bride weighs in at 120 and the son is pushing 135, worked for them...

There again... YMMV,
Jeff T.