17 May 2004 13:12:01
Ric Bednar
97 Ski Nautique glovebox

I'm the original owner of a 1997 Ski Nautique, and the only complaint I
have found over the years is the 8-inch gas tube that supports the glove
box lid. It looses it's ability to hold up the glove box lid every 10 -
12 months. It's a relatively inexpensive fix to purchase a new one, but
it has caused several minor injuries when the heavy lid comes smashing
down unexpectedly. Has anyone tried to add a second support bracket &
gas tube? Would this provide adequate support and better life-span, or
would I just end up replacing two gas tubes every year instead of one?

18 May 2004 11:01:57
ClemsonDave
Re: 97 Ski Nautique glovebox

I had a 99 SN with same issue. I tried putting a stronger lift on it. It
did not work well. It definately held the lid up, but when you close it, it
is tough until a point, then it would close too fast.

I would suggest replacing with origional shock, just one. Buy a couple so
you can replace every few years.

Same with shocks on engine cover. Definately don't put stronger ones on
this. I did and it ripped the contact points out of the fiberglass. I only
went one weight higher.

dave

"Ric Bednar" <rbednar@cisco.com > wrote in message
> I'm the original owner of a 1997 Ski Nautique, and the only complaint I
> have found over the years is the 8-inch gas tube that supports the glove
> box lid. It looses it's ability to hold up the glove box lid every 10 -
> 12 months. It's a relatively inexpensive fix to purchase a new one, but
> it has caused several minor injuries when the heavy lid comes smashing
> down unexpectedly. Has anyone tried to add a second support bracket &
> gas tube? Would this provide adequate support and better life-span, or
> would I just end up replacing two gas tubes every year instead of one?

18 May 2004 15:05:03
FLY135
Re: 97 Ski Nautique glovebox

"Ric Bednar" <rbednar@cisco.com > wrote in message
> I'm the original owner of a 1997 Ski Nautique, and the only complaint I
> have found over the years is the 8-inch gas tube that supports the glove
> box lid. It looses it's ability to hold up the glove box lid every 10 -
> 12 months. It's a relatively inexpensive fix to purchase a new one, but
> it has caused several minor injuries when the heavy lid comes smashing
> down unexpectedly. Has anyone tried to add a second support bracket &
> gas tube? Would this provide adequate support and better life-span, or
> would I just end up replacing two gas tubes every year instead of one?

Not knowing exactly what is the glove box lid on a 97 Nautique I say you
probably have a valid complaint. But it strikes me as funny that a water
skier would have trouble handling a glove box lid even if it didn't have a
gas support. My engine lid is not too heavy to handle and it has no support
of any kind.

18 May 2004 10:11:13
Adrian
Re: 97 Ski Nautique glovebox

Ric Bednar <rbednar@cisco.com > wrote in message news:<1084824573.595997@sj-nntpcache-5>...
> I'm the original owner of a 1997 Ski Nautique, and the only complaint I
> have found over the years is the 8-inch gas tube that supports the glove
> box lid. It looses it's ability to hold up the glove box lid every 10 -
> 12 months. It's a relatively inexpensive fix to purchase a new one, but
> it has caused several minor injuries when the heavy lid comes smashing
> down unexpectedly. Has anyone tried to add a second support bracket &
> gas tube? Would this provide adequate support and better life-span, or
> would I just end up replacing two gas tubes every year instead of one?

I have the same problem with my 98 SN... good question.

18 May 2004 13:22:07
Ric Bednar
Re: 97 Ski Nautique glovebox

I should have mentioned that I contacted the West Coast Nautique dealer
in Sacramento, CA and the Nautique headquarters in Florida back in 1997
and they told me to just purchase new gas lifts as needed.

It's interesting that others have the same problem on 98 and 99 models,
which tells me they didn't take the time to investigate my complaint at
the time (granted, I haven't checked out the '03 or '04 models).

I was just curious if anyone had come up with a clever solution, but I
guess I'll just stock up on the gas lifts and have an extra one handy
(stored in the glovebox, of course!) ... :-)

Adrian wrote:

> Ric Bednar <rbednar@cisco.com> wrote in message news:<1084824573.595997@sj-nntpcache-5>...
>
>>I'm the original owner of a 1997 Ski Nautique, and the only complaint I
>>have found over the years is the 8-inch gas tube that supports the glove
>>box lid. It looses it's ability to hold up the glove box lid every 10 -
>>12 months. It's a relatively inexpensive fix to purchase a new one, but
>>it has caused several minor injuries when the heavy lid comes smashing
>>down unexpectedly. Has anyone tried to add a second support bracket &
>>gas tube? Would this provide adequate support and better life-span, or
>>would I just end up replacing two gas tubes every year instead of one?
>

> I have the same problem with my 98 SN... good question.

18 May 2004 19:15:54
ClemsonDave
Re: 97 Ski Nautique glovebox

I have an '03 now and have had no issues with glove box or engine cover. I
will check to see which gas struts are on it.

> I should have mentioned that I contacted the West Coast Nautique dealer
> in Sacramento, CA and the Nautique headquarters in Florida back in 1997
> and they told me to just purchase new gas lifts as needed.
>
> It's interesting that others have the same problem on 98 and 99 models,
> which tells me they didn't take the time to investigate my complaint at
> the time (granted, I haven't checked out the '03 or '04 models).
>
> I was just curious if anyone had come up with a clever solution, but I
> guess I'll just stock up on the gas lifts and have an extra one handy
> (stored in the glovebox, of course!) ... :-)
>

> Adrian wrote:
>
> > Ric Bednar <rbednar@cisco.com> wrote in message
news:<1084824573.595997@sj-nntpcache-5 >...

> >>I'm the original owner of a 1997 Ski Nautique, and the only complaint I
> >>have found over the years is the 8-inch gas tube that supports the glove
> >>box lid. It looses it's ability to hold up the glove box lid every 10 -
> >>12 months. It's a relatively inexpensive fix to purchase a new one, but
> >>it has caused several minor injuries when the heavy lid comes smashing
> >>down unexpectedly. Has anyone tried to add a second support bracket &
> >>gas tube? Would this provide adequate support and better life-span, or
> >>would I just end up replacing two gas tubes every year instead of one?
> >

> > I have the same problem with my 98 SN... good question.

19 May 2004 10:34:35
Ric Bednar
Re: 97 Ski Nautique glovebox

Thanks Dave, your extra efforts are much appreciated!
:-)

ClemsonDave wrote:
> I have an '03 now and have had no issues with glove box or engine cover. I
> will check to see which gas struts are on it.
> dave
>

> "Ric Bednar" <rbednar@cisco.com> wrote in message
>
>>I should have mentioned that I contacted the West Coast Nautique dealer
>>in Sacramento, CA and the Nautique headquarters in Florida back in 1997
>>and they told me to just purchase new gas lifts as needed.
>>
>>It's interesting that others have the same problem on 98 and 99 models,
>>which tells me they didn't take the time to investigate my complaint at
>>the time (granted, I haven't checked out the '03 or '04 models).
>>
>>I was just curious if anyone had come up with a clever solution, but I
>>guess I'll just stock up on the gas lifts and have an extra one handy
>>(stored in the glovebox, of course!) ... :-)
>>

>>Adrian wrote:
>>

>>>Ric Bednar <rbednar@cisco.com> wrote in message

>>>I have the same problem with my 98 SN... good question.

23 May 2004 17:03:14
ClemsonDave
Re: 97 Ski Nautique glovebox

40 lbs. strut