21 Feb 2006 20:20:42
terrybigwheel
crank grabbing ruins cranks!?

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but after learning to do crank grabs,
mostly on hard surfaces, I've noticed that the cranks are getting
pretty banged up, including where it fits on to the splined axle. Is
this par for the course, or not? I'd rather be doing pedal grabs, but
I'm not there yet. I was thinking maybe I could cover or line the
bottom of the cranks with hard plastic or vinyl, in the hopes it would
protect the metal part.:confused:

--
terrybigwheel

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."
Mario Andretti.:cool:
terrybigwheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11418

Checkernuts
Re: crank grabbing ruins cranks!?

Yea it happens, it wont do anything to comprimise the cranks just
scratch them up some, They give your unicycle some Moxie.

If you look at the cranks of guys who do alot of grinding you'll see
some real scratches.

--
Checkernuts

No one said it was gonna be easy and I'm not afraid to try, with the
odds stacked up against me I will have to fight, One Life One Wheel got
to do it right. H2O

* -------muni militia -------
one wheeled death squad*
Checkernuts's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/801

forrestunifreak
Re: crank grabbing ruins cranks!?

Learn pedal grabs. That'll solve that problem. :)

--
forrestunifreak

'My gallery' (http://tinyurl.com/bbf9x)
For 15% off your first order of Hammer Nutrition Products go to
http://www.e-caps.com/affiliates/82904

albino_gumby
Re: crank grabbing ruins cranks!?

i noticed that to. Would putting some thick ass tape on the bottom of
the crank (the pedal grab side) be an option at least until i need to
use my cranks for grinding (im not quite up to that stage yet)?

--
albino_gumby
albino_gumby's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11695

matt_t
Re: crank grabbing ruins cranks!?

I've found the same thing. I don't think it matters so much on the
cranks, but because I'm not too accurate I often land on the bearing
holders, and they've been eaten up quite a bit. I'm going to glue an
old piece of bike tyre to the underside of the bearing holder to
protect it a bit. I cut the tyre crossways so that the curve fits the
holder. Does anyone think this will actually do any good, or will it
just fall straight off/not protect the bearings themselves at all?

--
matt_t

You can't give up hope just because it's hopeless. You gotta hope even
more, and cover your ears and go 'bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla!'
matt_t's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10922

DustinMichels
Re: crank grabbing ruins cranks!?

I used to think crankgrabbing would ruin my cranks, that was half a year
ago, I land on them like an atomic bomb and they're still fine. Don't
use tape, just go on crankgrabbing, like Checker said, they're just
scratches. I suggest you pollish your cranks when you start grinding
though, much smoother.

--
DustinMichels

Biologically speaking, if something bites you it's more likely to be
female. - Desmond Morris

If you try and don't succeed, cheat. Repeat until caught. Then lie. -
Rask

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's
too dark to read. - Groucho Marx

I can resist everything except temptation. - Oscar Wilde
DustinMichels's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10289

albino_gumby
Re: crank grabbing ruins cranks!?

wonderul. thanks for that.

--

DustinMichels wrote:
> I used to think crankgrabbing would ruin my cranks, that was half a year
> ago, I land on them like an atomic bomb and they're still fine. Don't
> use tape, just go on crankgrabbing, like Checker said, they're just
> scratches. I suggest you pollish your cranks when you start grinding
> though, much smoother.

I thought most if not ALL grinding was done on the pedals
ONLY...no?:confused:

--
terrybigwheel

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."
Mario Andretti.:cool:
terrybigwheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11418

The Munieer
Re: crank grabbing ruins cranks!?

Terry,

You need to see some vids. The vids show you how all this works out.
It's fun to watch and even more fun to do. I got the whole package of
DVD's and videos.

Next time you come over the hill to the valley for riding, we can
arrange for you to take them home and watch them. You supply the drool
cup.

Cheers

--
The Munieer

Rod Wylie - Email teachndad (att) gmail(dott) com

'MountainUnicyclingLA.com' (http://www.mountainunicycling.us)
'Greater Los Angeles Area Trails - Images'
(http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Greater-Los-Angeles-Trails)
'Greater Los Angeles Area Trails - Descriptions'
(http://tinyurl.com/6h8zn)
The Munieer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/736

terrybigwheel

The Munieer wrote:
> Terry,
>
> You need to see some vids. The vids show you how all this works out.
> It's fun to watch and even more fun to do. I got the whole package of
> DVD's and videos.
>
> Next time you come over the hill to the valley for riding, we can
> arrange for you to take them home and watch them. You supply the drool
> cup.
>
> Cheers

Hey Rod,

I've DL'd tons of great vids, but I can never quite tell if it's pedal
only, or cranks as well, on grinds. Believe me, I've studied ALL of
these including the HUGE 85 megs of Jess's latest vid. The angles don't
allow me to see close-ups of the grinds from the side of the grind. So
it's not that I haven't seen vids; I've have more than 100! And the
problem also is that I cannot slow down the (grind) footage. Yes, many
are shown in slo-mo but agin, not from the angle that **CLEARLY** shows
the contact; at least not of the cranks during grinding. So, having
clarified that to you, do you grind with cranks and pedals, or just
pedals? :confused:

--

terrybigwheel wrote:
> I thought most if not ALL grinding was done on the pedals
> ONLY...no?:confused:

Not me, I even use some of my bearing holder :P It's horrible on boxes,
but rails are going just fine... If I'd grind on my pedal I'd be dead
:<

--
DustinMichels

Biologically speaking, if something bites you it's more likely to be
female. - Desmond Morris

If you try and don't succeed, cheat. Repeat until caught. Then lie. -
Rask

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's
too dark to read. - Groucho Marx

I can resist everything except temptation. - Oscar Wilde
DustinMichels's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10289

forrestunifreak
Re: crank grabbing ruins cranks!?

I don't grind at all on my cranks, on purpose, but it's hard to keep the
crank from scraping a little.