28 Feb 2006 14:37:09
john_childs
Channel cut in modified KH seat

I have been working on making a more comfortable Coker saddle that is
based on the KH Fusion foam and seat cover. I started by cutting a
wedge off the nose to flatten the curve and give more room up front.
It allows more movement on the saddle for adjusting pressure points and
makes the saddle less constricting. That worked OK, but I still got
saddle numbness and saddle soreness. Then I experimented with cutting
a channel in the middle to relieve pressure points. The channel cut
works.

Previous rides on the saddle have been about 10 miles which isn't long
enough to determine how it would be for long distance use. I finally
got a long ride in when I did the Chilly Hilly ride, 33 miles and about
4 hours of saddle time. I finished the Chilly Hilly ride with no
notable saddle numbness. That's a first. Previous Chilly Hilly rides
with my air saddle have ended with saddle numbness or soreness.

The modified KH foam seat isn't all perfect. It is a little wider than
I'm used to which makes it feel like I'm sitting on something too wide
and has made chafing more of a problem. The extra width also affects
my pedaling motion a bit and will take some time to adjust to. The
foam seat is also much more temperamental about how the cycling shorts
are designed, how the pad fits and any seams. There are more problems
with chafing and pressure points caused by seams in the shorts. The
air seat didn't have any problems with chafing or pressure points from
the seams in my cycling tights. The foam seat does.

For the Chilly Hilly ride I wore two layers of padded cycling shorts
under my cycling tights. My cycling tights are not padded, but they do
have flat seams. That worked and the two layers of cycling shorts
fixed the problem with the seam in the cycling tights.

I'll have to experiment with other cycling shorts with different
designs for the pad. It could be that a different brand of shorts will
suit me better with the new seat.

Anyways, pictures of the modified seat are in my 'Airseat gallery'
(http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Airseat). Scroll down to the bottom of
the page. It's an easy mod that could be made to any KH Fusion and
improves the comfort for Coker riding, at least for me.

--
john_childs

john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
Gallery: http://gallery.unicyclist.com/john_childs
'Unicycling Bookmark List' (http://backcountry.unicyclist.com/)::
'World Clock' (http://tinyurl.com/a99y3)

pdc
Re: Channel cut in modified KH seat

I put one a pad like this one http://tinyurl.com/n2xwnon top of some
severely cut down KH foam, under a fusion cover. It works great. The
pad isn't exactly that one. The one I used was a Schwinn Fusion Gel
pad from Walmart. It seems to big at first, but when you cinch down the
cover it works quite well uncut. It is by far the most comfortable
seat of all the ones I've tried on my Coker. I think like Scott
Wallis' Road Relief saddle, the key to comfort is the void in the
middle. Airseats just don't cut it.

--
pdc

"What doesn't kill you strengthens you, what kills you strengthens your
mother"
pdc's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8160

trials_uni
Re: Channel cut in modified KH seat

looks good but could you explain how adding the "channel" will aid in
keeping comfortable.

--
trials_uni

'Check Out my Newbie Guide' (http://tinyurl.com/99yez)<---new more
informative post go now! edited today!
Also Join the 'Unicyclist Roster'
(http://ecstasy.winternet.com/roster/index.php?)and meet other
unicyclists in your area!
Make Your Own 'Juggling Clubs!' (http://www.crazytieguy.com/clubs.htm)

monkeyman wrote:
> Those animals aren't innocent, they're keeping my meat from me

john_childs

trials_uni wrote:
> looks good but could you explain how adding the "channel" will aid in
> keeping comfortable.

The channel relieves pressure from soft tissues, nerves, and blood
vessels in the crotch, and distributes the weight and support to bones
and firmer tissues. The bones in your hips and the firmer muscles are
better able to support your weight than the soft tissues.

--
john_childs

john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
Gallery: http://gallery.unicyclist.com/john_childs
'Unicycling Bookmark List' (http://backcountry.unicyclist.com/)::
'World Clock' (http://tinyurl.com/a99y3)

trials_uni
Re: Channel cut in modified KH seat

ahhh ic...hope it works for you.

--

monkeyman wrote:
> Those animals aren't innocent, they're keeping my meat from me

phlegm
Re: Channel cut in modified KH seat

Cool, thanks for sharing. I've been thinking about trying something
like this too, especially since I have a spare KH saddle. Of course,
if it works, then I'll have no excuse to not buy a Coker. ;)

--
phlegm
phlegm's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8382

terrybigwheel
Re: Channel cut in modified KH seat

I posted my "Channel" idea a while back and yes, it DOES relieve
pressure in the crotch area! Only my channel is waaaaaaay longer and
wider than John's. I used "closed end" foam because it retains its
shape well, and is easy to cut and shape. I use a 12" inner tube taped
to the base with duct tape, with a small slab of gel just under the mid
section of the tube. Have two of these saddles; one for muni and the
other for my coker.:D

--
terrybigwheel

Impotence: Nature's Way Of Saying "No Hard Feelings".

Uni is just a cycle I'm going through. :cool:
terrybigwheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11418

john_childs

terrybigwheel wrote:
> I posted my "Channel" idea a while back and yes, it DOES relieve
> pressure in the crotch area! Only my channel is waaaaaaay longer and
> wider than John's. I used "closed end" foam because it retains its
> shape well, and is easy to cut and shape. I use a 12" inner tube taped
> to the base with duct tape, with a small slab of gel just under the mid
> section of the tube. Have two of these saddles; one for muni and the
> other for my coker.:D

We need pictures of the insides and outsides of your saddle mod.
Describing it with words only goes so far. :D

--
john_childs

john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
Gallery: http://gallery.unicyclist.com/john_childs
'Unicycling Bookmark List' (http://backcountry.unicyclist.com/)::
'World Clock' (http://tinyurl.com/a99y3)

forrestunifreak
Re: Channel cut in modified KH seat

Hey, I did sortof the same thing on my 26" coker a coupkle weeks ago,
but the notch I made isn't very big because I didn't know if it would
work or not. Right now I can hardly feel it, so I guess I'll end up
taking it all apart again.

--
forrestunifreak

'My gallery' (http://tinyurl.com/bbf9x)
For 15% off your first order of Hammer Nutrition Products go to
http://www.e-caps.com/affiliates/82904

phlegm
Re: Channel cut in modified KH seat

What I like about John's mod is the simplicity. Also, I really want to
avoid air tubes, if possible, mostly because they require maintenance.

--
phlegm
phlegm's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8382

UniTyler

forrestunifreak wrote:
> 26" coker

Huh?

BTW, I gave this idea to John on the Chilly Hilly --- so did you do
this because I said that or because it was already in your head? I
need money if you get rich... ;)

--
UniTyler

I have no signature...wait...
UniTyler's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6120

UniTyler

trials_uni wrote:
> his 26 is his biggest wheel so he calls it his coker.

Gotchakazam

--

UniTyler wrote:
> Gotchakazam

you should put that in your"favourite words" thread.

--

john_childs wrote:
> We need pictures of the insides and outsides of your saddle mod.
> Describing it with words only goes so far. :D

I'd have to take it all apart. I'll do it when I get some time and post
pics.

--

trials_uni wrote:
> his 26 is his biggest wheel so he calls it his coker.

Yeah, my 26" LX with 110 cranks is seemingly pretty fast, I can't
imagine what anything bigger would be like...

And I only use it for long/fast road kinda rides, so it's a coker
substitute. Sorta.