30 Jun 2005 20:00:55
jimbo
sneaky feeling..........

That Hewitt is going to win tomorrow (damn it !)

Don't know why or how .. but it is a nagging gut instinct that wont
go.........

Lets see...............

Jim

30 Jun 2005 13:08:05
Roberts
Re: sneaky feeling..........

jimbo wrote:
> That Hewitt is going to win tomorrow (damn it !)
>
> Don't know why or how .. but it is a nagging gut instinct that wont
> go.........
>
> Lets see...............
>

> Jim

You're fucking insane. I remind you to take your medication.

30 Jun 2005 13:21:06
stephenj
Re: sneaky feeling..........

I can see Hewitt possibly winning. Not likely, but Fed is under
enormous pressure, more than he's ever had to handle before...........

30 Jun 2005 20:23:48
Dr. GroundAxe
Re: sneaky feeling..........

jimbo wrote:
> That Hewitt is going to win tomorrow (damn it !)
>
> Don't know why or how .. but it is a nagging gut instinct that wont
> go.........
>
> Lets see...............
>

> Jim

Can't see it some how, no given his recent performacnes against Federer.

30 Jun 2005 20:27:49
Erich
Re: sneaky feeling..........

"Roberts" <artsmark10@mail.com > wrote in message

> jimbo wrote:
> > That Hewitt is going to win tomorrow (damn it !)
> >
> > Don't know why or how .. but it is a nagging gut instinct that wont
> > go.........
> >
> > Lets see...............
> >

> > Jim
>
> You're fucking insane. I remind you to take your medication.

Jimmy Connors thinks Hewitt will win as well.

30 Jun 2005 13:29:12
Roberts
Re: sneaky feeling..........

Erich wrote:
> "Roberts" <artsmark10@mail.com> wrote in message
> >

> > jimbo wrote:
> > > That Hewitt is going to win tomorrow (damn it !)
> > >
> > > Don't know why or how .. but it is a nagging gut instinct that wont
> > > go.........
> > >
> > > Lets see...............
> > >

> > > Jim
> >
> > You're fucking insane. I remind you to take your medication.
>
> Jimmy Connors thinks Hewitt will win as well.

Yeah, but he's also forgotten to take his pills.

30 Jun 2005 20:31:37
Scott
Re: sneaky feeling..........

Hewitt takes three sets off Fed?! I think Roddick has a better chance.

"jimbo" <owl2@herandnow.com > wrote in message
> That Hewitt is going to win tomorrow (damn it !)
>
> Don't know why or how .. but it is a nagging gut instinct that wont
> go.........
>
> Lets see...............
>

> Jim

30 Jun 2005 14:35:23
David Henry
Re: sneaky feeling..........

"jimbo" <owl2@herandnow.com > wrote in message
> That Hewitt is going to win tomorrow (damn it !)
>
> Don't know why or how .. but it is a nagging gut instinct that wont
> go.........
>
> Lets see...............

It would be intersting to see Hewitt play Roddick in the final. At least the
outcome would be in doubt -- a toss-up match.

Federer will be looking to break the semifinal wall he's run into the past
two majors. He has to like his prospects against Hewitt, but I have a
feeling things will be closer than what folks are predicting, already
writing Hewitt off.

As part of Hops' game, I did pick Hewitt over Federer, so we'll see if I
hold up to get some points.

Dave

30 Jun 2005 13:39:48
Roberts
Re: sneaky feeling..........

Scott wrote:
> Hewitt takes three sets off Fed?! I think Roddick has a better chance.
>

> "jimbo" <owl2@herandnow.com> wrote in message
> > That Hewitt is going to win tomorrow (damn it !)
> >
> > Don't know why or how .. but it is a nagging gut instinct that wont
> > go.........
> >
> > Lets see...............
> >

> > Jim

Yes, because at least Roddick has some power to trouble Fed with. With
Hewitt, it's just a case if him hoping he can force some UEs out of
Fed, which just doesn't happen these days as Fed is always in the
comfort zone.

30 Jun 2005 13:46:11
Gordon Cameron
Re: sneaky feeling..........

Man, Fed has got to win Wimbledon this year, keep that momentum and
aura intact... the outcome of the next two matches could be the
difference between an 8-10 slam career and a 5-6 slam career.

Normally I like Hewitt but I will be rooting for Roger.

30 Jun 2005 16:48:52
ru2b12
Re: sneaky feeling..........

In article <XbYwe.11804$iT1.11118@newsfe1-win.ntli.net >,
"jimbo" <owl2@herandnow.com > wrote:

> That Hewitt is going to win tomorrow (damn it !)
>
> Don't know why or how .. but it is a nagging gut instinct that wont
> go.........
>
> Lets see...............
>

> Jim

Well it is a semi final and Fed's recent semifinal results are well
known but... i wouldn't count on it.

30 Jun 2005 14:49:10

> Erich wrote:
>> "Roberts" <artsmark10@mail.com> wrote in message

>> > You're fucking insane. I remind you to take your medication.
>>
>> Jimmy Connors thinks Hewitt will win as well.
>
> Yeah, but he's also forgotten to take his pills.

Nah. Jimmy just sees himself in Lleyton. He's basically pulling for himself.

Dave

30 Jun 2005 14:51:49
David Henry
Re: sneaky feeling..........

"Gordon Cameron" <gcameron@neteze.com > wrote in message
> Man, Fed has got to win Wimbledon this year, keep that momentum and
> aura intact... the outcome of the next two matches could be the
> difference between an 8-10 slam career and a 5-6 slam career.
>
> Normally I like Hewitt but I will be rooting for Roger.

To be honest, I think it would be more interesting for the game if Federer
were to go into the US Open slamless.

That's no animus towards Federer, but it would make for a compelling story
to see the *dominant* No. 1 fighting for his slam life and what he would
resort to to win. I'd like to see his focus at Flushing Meadows should he
not win here.

(And of course I want Hewitt to make up for his AO final loss...!)

Dave : >

30 Jun 2005 13:52:18
Roberts
Re: sneaky feeling..........

David Henry wrote:
> "Roberts" <artsmark10@mail.com> wrote in message
> >

> > Erich wrote:
> >> "Roberts" <artsmark10@mail.com> wrote in message

> >> Jimmy Connors thinks Hewitt will win as well.
> >
> > Yeah, but he's also forgotten to take his pills.
>

> Nah. Jimmy just sees himself in Lleyton. He's basically pulling for himself.
>
> Dave

Yep. He referred to Hewitt as, 'my little grinding friend'. In other
words: ' I was a bumrooter, he's a bumrooter, and us bumrooters should
therefore stick together'.

30 Jun 2005 16:56:04
Pedro Dias
Re: sneaky feeling..........

"jimbo" <owl2@herandnow.com > wrote in message
> That Hewitt is going to win tomorrow (damn it !)
>
> Don't know why or how .. but it is a nagging gut instinct that wont
> go.........
>
> Lets see...............

Try some bicarbonate of soda and a wee nap. It'll pass.

30 Jun 2005 16:57:24
Pedro Dias
Re: sneaky feeling..........

"Erich" <spoing@spammadoomylaaaa.uit > wrote in message

> "Roberts" <artsmark10@mail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > jimbo wrote:
> >
> > > That Hewitt is going to win tomorrow (damn it !)
> > >
> > > Don't know why or how .. but it is a nagging gut instinct that wont
> > > go.........
> > >
> > > Lets see...............
> > You're fucking insane. I remind you to take your medication.
>
> Jimmy Connors thinks Hewitt will win as well.

I think he sees Hewitt as a surrogate.

30 Jun 2005 21:07:16
bob
Re: sneaky feeling..........

"David Henry" <telemachus7@msn.com > wrote in message

> "Roberts" <artsmark10@mail.com> wrote in message
>>

>> Erich wrote:
>>> "Roberts" <artsmark10@mail.com> wrote in message

>>> Jimmy Connors thinks Hewitt will win as well.
>>
>> Yeah, but he's also forgotten to take his pills.
>

> Nah. Jimmy just sees himself in Lleyton. He's basically pulling for
> himself.

yes, i was going to say the same..(of course, jimmy sees a lesser version of
himself) :-)

bob

30 Jun 2005 17:21:45
StephenJ
Re: sneaky feeling..........

> Hewitt takes three sets off Fed?!

yeah, that's ultimately the problem. as with sampras, it takes a heroic
effort to take one set off fed at W - and then you still have to do it twice
more...

--
"if federal judges have the final word over its meaning,
the Constitution would be a mere thing of wax in the hands

- Thomas Jefferson

30 Jun 2005 15:35:57
BlackJAG
Re: sneaky feeling..........

he has as much chance of beating Federer on grass as has Mauresmo
winning any slam!

30 Jun 2005 21:14:45
Hops
Re: sneaky feeling..........

"jimbo" <owl2@herandnow.com > wrote in message
> That Hewitt is going to win tomorrow (damn it !)
>
> Don't know why or how .. but it is a nagging gut instinct that wont
> go.........
>
> Lets see...............

unfortunately, Hewitt's birthday is in February.

01 Jul 2005 18:52:19
Whisper
Re: sneaky feeling..........

Gordon Cameron wrote:

> Man, Fed has got to win Wimbledon this year, keep that momentum and
> aura intact... the outcome of the next two matches could be the
> difference between an 8-10 slam career and a 5-6 slam career.
>
> Normally I like Hewitt but I will be rooting for Roger.

Yes, this is big for Fed. Also for Roddick to finally pull his finger
out of his arse.....

01 Jul 2005 18:55:37
Whisper
Re: sneaky feeling..........

David Henry wrote:

> "Gordon Cameron" <gcameron@neteze.com> wrote in message
>
>>Man, Fed has got to win Wimbledon this year, keep that momentum and
>>aura intact... the outcome of the next two matches could be the
>>difference between an 8-10 slam career and a 5-6 slam career.
>>
>>Normally I like Hewitt but I will be rooting for Roger.
>

> To be honest, I think it would be more interesting for the game if Federer
> were to go into the US Open slamless.
>
> That's no animus towards Federer, but it would make for a compelling story
> to see the *dominant* No. 1 fighting for his slam life and what he would
> resort to to win. I'd like to see his focus at Flushing Meadows should he
> not win here.

Yes, like Sampras '96....

01 Jul 2005 02:05:46
Re: sneaky feeling..........

No solid reason why Fed shouldn't give him a bagel at the very least,
but there are a couple of things going for Hewitt (if he is
superstitous): there is the semi-final jinx, there is the possiblity
that he'll be too confident and take things for granted.
Then there is my record of predicting matches: I am really really bad
at it and I am thinking Fed will come through.

01 Jul 2005 02:12:33
coop-a-loop
Re: sneaky feeling..........

It's of great importance for Hewitt, too. 3 year Slam drought.

01 Jul 2005 02:17:17
Roberts
Re: sneaky feeling..........

Whisper wrote:
> David Henry wrote:
>
> > "Gordon Cameron" <gcameron@neteze.com> wrote in message
> >
> >>Man, Fed has got to win Wimbledon this year, keep that momentum and
> >>aura intact... the outcome of the next two matches could be the
> >>difference between an 8-10 slam career and a 5-6 slam career.
> >>
> >>Normally I like Hewitt but I will be rooting for Roger.
> >

> > To be honest, I think it would be more interesting for the game if Federer
> > were to go into the US Open slamless.
> >
> > That's no animus towards Federer, but it would make for a compelling story
> > to see the *dominant* No. 1 fighting for his slam life and what he would
> > resort to to win. I'd like to see his focus at Flushing Meadows should he
> > not win here.
>
> Yes, like Sampras '96....

Doubt he'd cope with the pressure as well as Sampras did.

01 Jul 2005 19:21:53
Whisper
Re: sneaky feeling..........

StephenJ wrote:

>>Hewitt takes three sets off Fed?!
>

> yeah, that's ultimately the problem. as with sampras, it takes a heroic
> effort to take one set off fed at W - and then you still have to do it twice
> more...

Roddick definitely coulda done it last yr. Atm he's the only real
challenger to Fed at Wim.....

01 Jul 2005 02:27:54
coop-a-loop
Re: sneaky feeling..........

Let's assume the final is Fed v. Roddick. Would the winner generate
enough momentum and take USO title, too?

01 Jul 2005 02:31:40
coop-a-loop
Re: sneaky feeling..........

Roddick has a better chance for sure. Fed has won 17 of the last 19
sets vs. Hewitt. And although Fed has done something similar to Rod,
at least many of the sets have been tb's.

01 Jul 2005 04:39:20

> Whisper wrote:
>> David Henry wrote:
>>
>> > "Gordon Cameron" <gcameron@neteze.com> wrote in message

>> > To be honest, I think it would be more interesting for the game if
>> > Federer
>> > were to go into the US Open slamless.
>> >
>> > That's no animus towards Federer, but it would make for a compelling
>> > story
>> > to see the *dominant* No. 1 fighting for his slam life and what he
>> > would
>> > resort to to win. I'd like to see his focus at Flushing Meadows should
>> > he
>> > not win here.
>>
>> Yes, like Sampras '96....
>
> Doubt he'd cope with the pressure as well as Sampras did.

Sampras had the home crowd to support him. At the US Open, everyone would be
behind Roddick.

That would make it tougher for Fed, should they meet in NY.

Dave

01 Jul 2005 04:41:32
David Henry
Re: sneaky feeling..........

"coop-a-loop" <coop21@sbcglobal.net > wrote in message
> It's of great importance for Hewitt, too. 3 year Slam drought.

Hewitt has played the finals of every major event he's played since
September.

He's been knocking at the door for over 6 months. He needs to walk through
the door.

I still feel like his real chance was in Australia against Safin, but we'll
see what he's got here.

Dave

01 Jul 2005 09:56:13
StephenJ
Re: sneaky feeling..........

> > > That's no animus towards Federer, but it would make for a compelling
story
> > > to see the *dominant* No. 1 fighting for his slam life and what he
would
> > > resort to to win. I'd like to see his focus at Flushing Meadows should
he
> > > not win here.
> >
> > Yes, like Sampras '96....
>
> Doubt he'd cope with the pressure as well as Sampras did.

Probably not. Then again, USO 96 was when Sampras was outplayed and had to
play possum and sneak by a second-serve ace to beat some nobody clay-courter
in the quarters............

--
"if federal judges have the final word over its meaning,
the Constitution would be a mere thing of wax in the hands
of the judiciary, which they may twist and shape into any form
they please".

- Thomas Jefferson

02 Jul 2005 06:18:39
Whisper
Re: sneaky feeling..........

anonymouscoward343@hotmail.com wrote:

> No solid reason why Fed shouldn't give him a bagel at the very least,
> but there are a couple of things going for Hewitt (if he is
> superstitous): there is the semi-final jinx, there is the possiblity
> that he'll be too confident and take things for granted.
> Then there is my record of predicting matches: I am really really bad
> at it and I am thinking Fed will come through.

You're less bad at it now....

02 Jul 2005 06:21:56
Whisper
Re: sneaky feeling..........

Roberts wrote:
>>>That's no animus towards Federer, but it would make for a compelling story
>>>to see the *dominant* No. 1 fighting for his slam life and what he would
>>>resort to to win. I'd like to see his focus at Flushing Meadows should he
>>>not win here.
>>
>>Yes, like Sampras '96....
>

> Doubt he'd cope with the pressure as well as Sampras did.

Yes, me too. He seems too sensitive....

02 Jul 2005 06:24:05
Whisper
Re: sneaky feeling..........

coop-a-loop wrote:

> Let's assume the final is Fed v. Roddick. Would the winner generate
> enough momentum and take USO title, too?

Loser will probably have a letdown.... but there's also Nadal who will
be trying to prove something...

01 Jul 2005 21:37:47
MathDude
Re: sneaky feeling..........

On 2005-07-01, Whisper <beaver999@ozemail.com.au > wrote:

>>>Yes, like Sampras '96....
>>

>> Doubt he'd cope with the pressure as well as Sampras did.
>>

> Yes, me too. He seems too sensitive....

It's clear he has a temper just under the surface. In this sense
he's probably not as cool as sampras was but with a howitzer
serve like Pete's who wouldn't be cool as cucumber (mac quote after
getting beaten at Pete's first slam win at USO).

01 Jul 2005 21:56:53
bob
Re: sneaky feeling..........

"Whisper" <beaver999@ozemail.com.au > wrote in message
> coop-a-loop wrote:
>
>> Let's assume the final is Fed v. Roddick. Would the winner generate
>> enough momentum and take USO title, too?
>>

> Loser will probably have a letdown.... but there's also Nadal who will be
> trying to prove something...

spot on..if roddick were to beat fed by chance in a W final,
roddick/fed/nadal will fight it out this aug at USO like pit bulls..i'd love
to see it go down like that.

bob

01 Jul 2005 21:58:04
bob
Re: sneaky feeling..........

"MathDude" <MathDude@NOSPAM.com > wrote in message

>>> Doubt he'd cope with the pressure as well as Sampras did.
>>>

>> Yes, me too. He seems too sensitive....
>
> It's clear he has a temper just under the surface. In this sense
> he's probably not as cool as sampras was but with a howitzer
> serve like Pete's who wouldn't be cool as cucumber (mac quote after
> getting beaten at Pete's first slam win at USO).

i think he's suppressing a temper right now that, given the right
circumstance at a W final, will blow like mt. st. helens.

bob

01 Jul 2005 22:08:48
MathDude
Re: sneaky feeling..........

On 2005-07-01, bob <rstein6@NOSPAM.cfl.rr.com > wrote:

> "MathDude" <MathDude@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message

>>> Yes, me too. He seems too sensitive....
>>
>> It's clear he has a temper just under the surface. In this sense
>> he's probably not as cool as sampras was but with a howitzer
>> serve like Pete's who wouldn't be cool as cucumber (mac quote after
>> getting beaten at Pete's first slam win at USO).
>
> i think he's suppressing a temper right now that, given the right
> circumstance at a W final, will blow like mt. st. helens.
>
> bob

I suspect it would help him....let off some of that pent up
pressure. Do a Johnny Mac. Being mister cool seems out of
character for him if one reads about how he was when he
was young. Maybe this is why he hasn't gone into God mode
yet, all that negative energy is stifling him....then again
I'm probably exaggerating......

Fed should win simply because he's the most talented ...it would
be travesty if a hack like roddick managed to eek out a win but
stranger things have happened ;-)

01 Jul 2005 19:03:46

> On 2005-07-01, bob <rstein6@NOSPAM.cfl.rr.com> wrote:
> >
> > "MathDude" <MathDude@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message

> >> It's clear he has a temper just under the surface. In this sense
> >> he's probably not as cool as sampras was but with a howitzer
> >> serve like Pete's who wouldn't be cool as cucumber (mac quote after
> >> getting beaten at Pete's first slam win at USO).
> >
> > i think he's suppressing a temper right now that, given the right
> > circumstance at a W final, will blow like mt. st. helens.
> >
> I suspect it would help him....let off some of that pent up
> pressure. Do a Johnny Mac. Being mister cool seems out of
> character for him if one reads about how he was when he
> was young. Maybe this is why he hasn't gone into God mode
> yet, all that negative energy is stifling him....then again
> I'm probably exaggerating......

It was the same with Borg: stormy as a junior, got it under control and
became great. Hard to tell how it affects each player: Connors used his
temper tantrums to enrgize himself; Mac did the same early on, then it
seemed to go sour and become toxic. Others kept their emotions guarded and
seemed to derive emotional strength from that.

> Fed should win simply because he's the most talented ...it would
> be travesty if a hack like roddick managed to eek out a win but
> stranger things have happened ;-)

02 Jul 2005 12:23:34
Whisper
Re: sneaky feeling..........

StephenJ wrote:

> story

> would

> he

>>>Yes, like Sampras '96....
>>
>>Doubt he'd cope with the pressure as well as Sampras did.
>

> Probably not. Then again, USO 96 was when Sampras was outplayed and had to
> play possum and sneak by a second-serve ace to beat some nobody clay-courter
> in the quarters............

Physically throwing up is a rather extreme measure....

02 Jul 2005 02:12:21
Roberts
Re: sneaky feeling..........

bob wrote:
> "MathDude" <MathDude@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message

> >> Yes, me too. He seems too sensitive....
> >
> > It's clear he has a temper just under the surface. In this sense
> > he's probably not as cool as sampras was but with a howitzer
> > serve like Pete's who wouldn't be cool as cucumber (mac quote after
> > getting beaten at Pete's first slam win at USO).
>
> i think he's suppressing a temper right now that, given the right
> circumstance at a W final, will blow like mt. st. helens.
>
> bob

We saw him getting a bit pissed off during his match with Nadal.