30 Jun 2005 15:29:23
BlackJAG
doubles matches shorter! NEW SCORINGSYSTEM!

Starting from september 1st, the ATP has come up with a new
scoringssytem for doublesmatches

it goes like this:

the 1st doublesteam that wins 5 games will win the set!
if the score reaches 4-4 a tie-break will be played (normal tie-break
rules)

this way the ATP wants to shorten the doublesmatches making it mre
exciting and more appealing to singles (TOP) players!

do u guys think the like of Federer, Roddick, Hewitt will play more
doubles this way? i mean why should they? they don't need either the
money nor the practice

i think it's a useless new rule

30 Jun 2005 15:36:01
Karen Wall
Re: doubles matches shorter! NEW SCORINGSYSTEM!

I think I also read they were going to do no-ad scoring. Federer has
already said he won't play doubles any more frequently.

Seems like they're reducing it to a form of World Team Tennis.

30 Jun 2005 15:42:47
BlackJAG
Re: doubles matches shorter! NEW SCORINGSYSTEM!

no-ad scoring would be disastrous, i mean how great is it when players
have advantage, with say a breakpoint and then hear DEUCE, breakpoint
gone. and then keep going on like that for 5/6/78 deuces! just
wonderful stuff, if they took away the no-ad points they'll take away
the spirit of the game

30 Jun 2005 22:49:25
Habib
Re: doubles matches shorter! NEW SCORINGSYSTEM!

> do u guys think the like of Federer, Roddick, Hewitt will play more
> doubles this way? i mean why should they? they don't need either the
> money nor the practice

Money, no. Practice, the jury is out.

01 Jul 2005 09:50:51
Lindsay Went

"BlackJAG" <mustafabenali@gmail.com > wrote in message
> Starting from september 1st, the ATP has come up with a new
> scoringssytem for doublesmatches
>
> it goes like this:
>
> the 1st doublesteam that wins 5 games will win the set!
> if the score reaches 4-4 a tie-break will be played (normal tie-break
> rules)
>

> this way the ATP wants to shorten the doublesmatches making it mre
> exciting and more appealing to singles (TOP) players!
>
> do u guys think the like of Federer, Roddick, Hewitt will play more
> doubles this way? i mean why should they? they don't need either the
> money nor the practice
>
> i think it's a useless new rule

yes, ridiculous

30 Jun 2005 23:29:14
frank fontaine
Re: doubles matches shorter! NEW SCORINGSYSTEM!

The ATP is retarded. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Doubles is tennis, and
should be held to the same scoring as singles. The big name players
will not play any more frequently then before.

On 30 Jun 2005 15:29:23 -0700, "BlackJAG" <mustafabenali@gmail.com >
wrote:

>Starting from september 1st, the ATP has come up with a new
>scoringssytem for doublesmatches
>
>it goes like this:
>
>the 1st doublesteam that wins 5 games will win the set!
>if the score reaches 4-4 a tie-break will be played (normal tie-break
>rules)
>

>this way the ATP wants to shorten the doublesmatches making it mre
>exciting and more appealing to singles (TOP) players!
>
>do u guys think the like of Federer, Roddick, Hewitt will play more
>doubles this way? i mean why should they? they don't need either the
>money nor the practice
>
>i think it's a useless new rule

01 Jul 2005 01:49:27
Re: doubles matches shorter! NEW SCORINGSYSTEM!

Agree wholeheartedly.. No-ad scoring makes it a different game
alltogether. I hope they change their minds; the players will take
doubles even less seriously than they do now.
Won't help with anything.

frank fontaine wrote:
> The ATP is retarded. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Doubles is tennis, and
> should be held to the same scoring as singles. The big name players
> will not play any more frequently then before.
>
> On 30 Jun 2005 15:29:23 -0700, "BlackJAG" <mustafabenali@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Starting from september 1st, the ATP has come up with a new
> >scoringssytem for doublesmatches
> >
> >it goes like this:
> >
> >the 1st doublesteam that wins 5 games will win the set!
> >if the score reaches 4-4 a tie-break will be played (normal tie-break
> >rules)
> >

> >this way the ATP wants to shorten the doublesmatches making it mre
> >exciting and more appealing to singles (TOP) players!
> >
> >do u guys think the like of Federer, Roddick, Hewitt will play more
> >doubles this way? i mean why should they? they don't need either the
> >money nor the practice
> >
> >i think it's a useless new rule

01 Jul 2005 08:07:00
Robert B. Waltz

frank fontaine <frankfontaine@mail.com > wrote:

> The ATP is retarded. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Doubles is tennis, and
> should be held to the same scoring as singles. The big name players
> will not play any more frequently then before.

While I agree, and dislike the changes, the ATP's claim/hope is
that this will get doubles more TV and show court time. Also,
while it won't make the top players play more, it might well
help young prospects, who play singles and doubles both because
they need the money.

It's possible (though highly unlikely) that the ATP has actually
talked to enough people to know what they're talking about.

So there *might* be advantages.

On the flip side, of course, it is certain that this will
produce more cases of weaker teams beating stronger teams,
because they don't have to play above their level for as
long.

--
If it is the adherents of the law who are to be the heirs [of God],
faith is null and the promise is void.

02 Jul 2005 06:15:48
Whisper

anonymouscoward343@hotmail.com wrote:

> Agree wholeheartedly.. No-ad scoring makes it a different game
> alltogether. I hope they change their minds; the players will take
> doubles even less seriously than they do now.
> Won't help with anything.

Probably can't hurt - it's at rock-bottom now. I have no idea who top
teams are. If I knew there would be no long deuce games, & average
length of matches is short I may even tune in now & again...

These aren't great tennis players here, so need some incentive to invest
leisure time...