30 Jan 2005 18:31:49
Why not allow non-injury timeouts?

A lot of folks fuss over tennis players faking injuries to get a
timeout, but I don't understand why the players can't get one timeout
per set. You can call it gamesmanship if some player requests a leg
massage or has a rib malfunction, but is it any less sportsmanlike when
every single NFL coach calls timeout right before the opposing team is
attempting a game winning field goal?

I think players should get one timeout in each set if they wish and I'm
also in favor of on court coaching. It could make the game a lot more
interesting to see the coaches on the sidelines.

And while we're at it, I'd dump best of five setters too except in Slam
finals for the men.

30 Jan 2005 19:09:33
Top Spin
Re: Why not allow non-injury timeouts?

On 30 Jan 2005 18:31:49 -0800, JSSTHX@aol.com wrote:

>A lot of folks fuss over tennis players faking injuries to get a
>timeout, but I don't understand why the players can't get one timeout
>per set. You can call it gamesmanship if some player requests a leg
>massage or has a rib malfunction, but is it any less sportsmanlike when
>every single NFL coach calls timeout right before the opposing team is
>attempting a game winning field goal?
>
>I think players should get one timeout in each set if they wish and I'm
>also in favor of on court coaching. It could make the game a lot more
>interesting to see the coaches on the sidelines.

You are right on about coaching. It's really quite stupid not to allow
it. Is there another sport where the athletes cannot receive
instruction during the event?

It would be particularly good in the junior events where the younger
players could really use it.

But even on the professional tour, I think it would make for a better
game.

Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
(11/09/04)

30 Jan 2005 20:20:52