31 Jan 2005 04:08:27
Sericinus hunter
What is "seppo"?

Sorry, English is not my native language, please don't make fun.
I assume (maybe wrongfully so) it means "American", but cannot
see any leads to the etimology.

31 Jan 2005 15:25:15
Blob
Re: What is "seppo"?

It is an abbreviation of a rhyming slang term. Septic tank rhymes with
Yank, and 'seppo' is an abbreviation of septic tank. So it is usually
intended as a highly derogatory term.

Its use is largely limited to Australia and I would assume possibly New
Zealand.

Sericinus hunter wrote:
> Sorry, English is not my native language, please don't make fun.
> I assume (maybe wrongfully so) it means "American", but cannot
> see any leads to the etimology.

31 Jan 2005 04:32:45
Sericinus hunter
Re: What is "seppo"?

Thank you!

Blob wrote:

> It is an abbreviation of a rhyming slang term. Septic tank rhymes with
> Yank, and 'seppo' is an abbreviation of septic tank. So it is usually
> intended as a highly derogatory term.
>
> Its use is largely limited to Australia and I would assume possibly New
> Zealand.
>

> Sericinus hunter wrote:
>
>> Sorry, English is not my native language, please don't make fun.
>> I assume (maybe wrongfully so) it means "American", but cannot
>> see any leads to the etimology.

30 Jan 2005 20:45:10
The Terminator
Re: What is "seppo"?

I can't say in general about Americans. But some Americans (Serena
supporters and Sharapova haters) who post over here come straight from
the SEPTIC TANK and should be put back over there.

30 Jan 2005 20:54:35
Top Spin
Re: What is "seppo"?

Here's one: http://www.seppos.com/archives/000014.html

Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
(11/09/04)

31 Jan 2005 05:42:27
LNC
Re: What is "seppo"?

"Sericinus hunter" <serhunt@flash.net > wrote in message
> Sorry, English is not my native language, please don't make fun.
> I assume (maybe wrongfully so) it means "American", but cannot
> see any leads to the etimology.

One of the Australian Marx brothers. The others were Jocko, Dingo and
Portmanteau, the last being famous for his nonsense invention of terms
appreciated by drunken criminals.

HTH

LNC

31 Jan 2005 06:37:04
Trellek

> Thank you!

Charming bunch, aren't we?

> Blob wrote:
>
>> It is an abbreviation of a rhyming slang term. Septic tank rhymes with
>> Yank, and 'seppo' is an abbreviation of septic tank. So it is usually
>> intended as a highly derogatory term.
>>
>> Its use is largely limited to Australia and I would assume possibly New
>> Zealand.
>>

>> Sericinus hunter wrote:
>>
>>> Sorry, English is not my native language, please don't make fun.
>>> I assume (maybe wrongfully so) it means "American", but cannot
>>> see any leads to the etimology.

30 Jan 2005 23:28:45
Top Spin
Re: What is "seppo"?

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 06:37:04 GMT, "Trellek" <yeah@no.com > wrote:

>"Sericinus hunter" <serhunt@flash.net> wrote in message
>> Thank you!
>
>Charming bunch, aren't we?

If you mean Aussies, yes, you are, actually -- Spewitt excepted.

Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
(11/09/04)

31 Jan 2005 19:30:13
mimus

wrote:

> Sorry, English is not my native language, please don't make fun.
> I assume (maybe wrongfully so) it means "American", but cannot
>see any leads to the etimology.

Elegant and witty British (<Cockney) "rhyming slang", "Yank" > "septic
tank" > "seppo".

The US doesn't even have any contemporary invective for the Brits,
although "British Royal Family" is always good for a laugh.

--
Thank you, Adelphia, for demanding $120 more a year
for The Tennis Channel!

31 Jan 2005 11:46:18
Invisible
Re: What is "seppo"?

I'd never heard of the expression before looking at this newsgroup.
Are you sure its not just something invented by Roddick and Agassi
haters, as thats the only context in which I've seen it used.

31 Jan 2005 19:52:38
mimus
Re: What is "seppo"?

On 31 Jan 2005 11:46:18 -0800, "Invisible"
<the_invisible_man_@hotmail.com > wrote:

>I'd never heard of the expression before looking at this newsgroup.
>Are you sure its not just something invented by Roddick and Agassi
>haters, as thats the only context in which I've seen it used.

Eh, I've seen it used in the group us.politics . . . .

All the web- references seem to point to its being Aussie in origin,
which for some reason, I don't know why, I didn't think "rhyming
slang" played a role in the vernacular there-- but, of course, all
those shiploads of "undesirables" from the UK must've included a fair
number of Cockneys . . . .

--
Thank you, Adelphia, for demanding $120 more a year
for The Tennis Channel!

31 Jan 2005 15:28:06
Cortada
Re: What is "seppo"?

"Invisible" <the_invisible_man_@hotmail.com > wrote in message
> I'd never heard of the expression before looking at this newsgroup.
> Are you sure its not just something invented by Roddick and Agassi
> haters, as thats the only context in which I've seen it used.

For a quick authentication on this, I would highly recommend the movie
"Welcome to Woop Woop".

Here is a line I ripped from an IMDB.com review:

"Welcome to Woop Woop" is resplendent with Australian iconography, and if
you don't know the space you may have a hard time understanding the
references. As an Australian, I can tell you those references are spot on! "

01 Feb 2005 08:02:59
Colin Wilson
Re: What is "seppo"?

mimus wrote:

> All the web- references seem to point to its being Aussie in origin,
> which for some reason, I don't know why, I didn't think "rhyming
> slang" played a role in the vernacular there-- but, of course, all
> those shiploads of "undesirables" from the UK must've included a fair
> number of Cockneys . . . .

Rhyming slang is still alive in Australia, but fading in usage as
Australia becomes more cosmopolitan and less "Bazza Mackenzie".

Examples are:
Barry Crocker ... shocker (Crocker was the actor who played Bazza Mackenzie)
Captain Cook ... look
Joe Blakes ... the shakes
Reg Grundys ... undies (Grundys was an early television production house).
Steak and kidney ... Sydney.

Sometimes, like cockney, the rhyming is even dropped, so "have a Captain
Cook" might become "have a Captains".

For the record, while Americans might take offence at the word "Seppo",
I believe that originally "Septic Tank" was just some slightly
disparaging rhyming slang, nothing more, nothing less. I believe it
originated during the war years, and in fact was backhandedly
complimentary, as it implied Americans came fully prepared with everything.

31 Jan 2005 13:15:36
Re: What is "seppo"?

F*** you Aussie assholes. Your parents were convicts. You all should be
shot!

01 Feb 2005 08:32:37
Calvin
Re: What is "seppo"?

"Blob" <blob@blob.com > wrote in message news:41FDB32B.9030705@blob.com...
> It is an abbreviation of a rhyming slang term. Septic tank rhymes with
> Yank, and 'seppo' is an abbreviation of septic tank. So it is usually
> intended as a highly derogatory term.

What's a septic tank?

cheers,
Calvin

01 Feb 2005 00:15:15
LNC
Re: What is "seppo"?

"Calvin" <calvin@phlegm.com > wrote in message

> What's a septic tank?

Australian swimming pool.

LNC

31 Jan 2005 17:09:29
Top Spin
Re: What is "seppo"?

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 00:15:15 GMT, "LNC" <reilloc@sbcglobalspam.net >
wrote:

>"Calvin" <calvin@phlegm.com> wrote in message
>>

>> What's a septic tank?
>>
>Australian swimming pool.
>
>LNC

Chuckle... LNC-1, Terminator-0

Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
(11/09/04)

01 Feb 2005 21:54:41
Whisper
Re: What is "seppo"?

Invisible wrote:
> I'd never heard of the expression before looking at this newsgroup.
> Are you sure its not just something invented by Roddick and Agassi
> haters, as thats the only context in which I've seen it used.

It's been around for decades.....

01 Feb 2005 22:09:18
Whisper
Re: What is "seppo"?

robvanzant@email.com wrote:

> F*** you Aussie assholes. Your parents were convicts. You all should be
> shot!

That's a minority group. The typical Aussie is an Asian woman in her
20's, living in Syd/Melb.....

01 Feb 2005 19:17:42
mimus
Re: What is "seppo"?

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 08:02:59 +1100, Colin Wilson
<publish@kyneton.net.au > wrote:

>mimus wrote:
>
>> All the web- references seem to point to its being Aussie in origin,
>> which for some reason, I don't know why, I didn't think "rhyming
>> slang" played a role in the vernacular there-- but, of course, all
>> those shiploads of "undesirables" from the UK must've included a fair
>> number of Cockneys . . . .
>
>Rhyming slang is still alive in Australia, but fading in usage as
>Australia becomes more cosmopolitan and less "Bazza Mackenzie".
>
>Examples are:
>Barry Crocker ... shocker (Crocker was the actor who played Bazza Mackenzie)
>Captain Cook ... look
>Joe Blakes ... the shakes
>Reg Grundys ... undies (Grundys was an early television production house).
>Steak and kidney ... Sydney.
>
>Sometimes, like cockney, the rhyming is even dropped, so "have a Captain
>Cook" might become "have a Captains".
>
>For the record, while Americans might take offence at the word "Seppo",
>I believe that originally "Septic Tank" was just some slightly
>disparaging rhyming slang, nothing more, nothing less. I believe it
>originated during the war years, and in fact was backhandedly
>complimentary, as it implied Americans came fully prepared with everything.

The Army couldn't handle the dunnies, eh?