31 Oct 2003 13:30:40
Robert B. Waltz
WTA Race Update (Spoiler)

According to the WTA web site, Petrova just beat Rubin. That means:

1. Venus is in.
2. Sugiyama is in unless Petrova wins Philadelphia and Sugiyama
loses her next match.
3. Rubin is the #1 alternate unless Petrova qualifies, in which
case Sugiyama is the #1 alternate.

This also makes the year-end #10 very interesting. Rubin has
2231 points. She is defending 67 at the Championships. She now
has 2 in her eighteenth tournament. So: If Venus plays and
Rubin doesn't, she ends up with 2166 ranking points.

Sugiyama, going into her QF match, has 2077 points. She has
46 in tournament 16 (which will become #17 after Philadelphia).
She earns a minimum of 67 for playing the Championships. That
would put her at 2098. So she needs about two more wins to
end the year in the Top Ten.

If Venus withdraws from the Championships, she ends the year
with 2211 points, and Rubin gets her 67 points back, meaning
that she ends ahead of Venus no matter what. And Sugiyama could
pass her too, which would mean Venus would end the year #11.

I sure hope someone explains that to her, so she can decide
whether she's a tennis player or a fashion model. (She *is*
going to be modelling at the Championships. Now why does this
story sound familiar?)

31 Oct 2003 21:51:23
Michal Jankowski
Re: WTA Race Update (Spoiler)

"Robert B. Waltz" <waltzmn@skypoint.com > writes:

> 2. Sugiyama is in unless Petrova wins Philadelphia and Sugiyama
> loses her next match.
> 3. Rubin is the #1 alternate unless Petrova qualifies, in which
> case Sugiyama is the #1 alternate.

I don't quite get it.

If Petrova wins Philadelphia and Sugiyama loses in QF, we get:

- Petrova (in)
- Sugiyama (alternate)
- Rubin
(i.e. Petrova ahead of Rubin)

But if Petrova wins Philadelphia and Sugiyama wins her QF, we get:

- Sugiyama (in)
- Rubin (alternate)
- Petrova
(Rubin ahead of Petrova)

?

MJ

31 Oct 2003 15:08:19
Robert B. Waltz
Re: WTA Race Update (Spoiler)

Michal Jankowski <michalj@fuw.edu.pl > wrote:

> "Robert B. Waltz" <waltzmn@skypoint.com> writes:
>
> > 2. Sugiyama is in unless Petrova wins Philadelphia and Sugiyama
> > loses her next match.
> > 3. Rubin is the #1 alternate unless Petrova qualifies, in which
> > case Sugiyama is the #1 alternate.
>
> I don't quite get it.
>
> If Petrova wins Philadelphia and Sugiyama loses in QF, we get:
>
> - Petrova (in)
> - Sugiyama (alternate)
> - Rubin
> (i.e. Petrova ahead of Rubin)

Yes.

> But if Petrova wins Philadelphia and Sugiyama wins her QF, we get:
>
> - Sugiyama (in)
> - Rubin (alternate)
> - Petrova
> (Rubin ahead of Petrova)

Reread the above. It doesn't cover the case you outline. In
fact if Petrova wins Philadelphia and Sugiyama loses, then
Sugiyama is in, Petrova is the alternate, and Rubin is nothing.

31 Oct 2003 22:25:52
Michal Jankowski
Re: WTA Race Update (Spoiler)

"Robert B. Waltz" <waltzmn@skypoint.com > writes:

> Reread the above. It doesn't cover the case you outline. In
> fact if Petrova wins Philadelphia and Sugiyama loses, then
> Sugiyama is in, Petrova is the alternate, and Rubin is nothing.

Well, I think I did. 8-)

>> > 3. Rubin is the #1 alternate unless Petrova qualifies,

Anyway, it seems Sugiyama has won her match.

MJ

31 Oct 2003 22:10:09
Naomi Lloyd
Re: WTA Race Update (Spoiler)

Now that we know that Sugiyama has made it to the semi's, what is the
scenario if Petrova wins the tournament and Sugiyama loses in the semi's?
Would the outcome be influenced by a possible lack of quality points if
Raymond beats Mauresmo and then Petrova beats Raymond in the finals?

Thanks,

Naomi

"Robert B. Waltz" <waltzmn@skypoint.com > wrote in message
> Michal Jankowski <michalj@fuw.edu.pl> wrote:
>
> > "Robert B. Waltz" <waltzmn@skypoint.com> writes:
> >
> > > 2. Sugiyama is in unless Petrova wins Philadelphia and Sugiyama
> > > loses her next match.
> > > 3. Rubin is the #1 alternate unless Petrova qualifies, in which
> > > case Sugiyama is the #1 alternate.
> >
> > I don't quite get it.
> >
> > If Petrova wins Philadelphia and Sugiyama loses in QF, we get:
> >
> > - Petrova (in)
> > - Sugiyama (alternate)
> > - Rubin
> > (i.e. Petrova ahead of Rubin)
>
> Yes.
>
> > But if Petrova wins Philadelphia and Sugiyama wins her QF, we get:
> >
> > - Sugiyama (in)
> > - Rubin (alternate)
> > - Petrova
> > (Rubin ahead of Petrova)
>
> Reread the above. It doesn't cover the case you outline. In
> fact if Petrova wins Philadelphia and Sugiyama loses, then
> Sugiyama is in, Petrova is the alternate, and Rubin is nothing.

31 Oct 2003 17:45:07
Robert B. Waltz
Re: WTA Race Update (Spoiler)

"Naomi Lloyd" <nlloyd@escape.ca > wrote:

> Now that we know that Sugiyama has made it to the semi's, what is the
> scenario if Petrova wins the tournament and Sugiyama loses in the semi's?
> Would the outcome be influenced by a possible lack of quality points if
> Raymond beats Mauresmo and then Petrova beats Raymond in the finals?

OK, here are the numbers:

Sugiyama (current, may change): 2239
Venus: 2211
Rubin: 2169
Petrova (current): 2005

Optimum for Petrova, as you say, is that she beats Mauresmo
in the final. If she does that, she ends up with 2198. If
she plays Sugiyama in the final, that falls to 2190. If
she plays Raymond in the final, she ends up with 2170. It's
almost a photo finish, but Petrova thus has clinched the
alternate spot if she wins. Otherwise, it's Rubin.

31 Oct 2003 20:17:30
Josh Briscoe
Re: WTA Race Update (Spoiler)

I read an article last week saying Venus has bagged on the rest of the
season. So with that in mind, would Sugiyama not have already clinched and
now the only question left is Petrova/Rubin for 8 and 9?

OK, here are the numbers:

Sugiyama (current, may change): 2239
Venus: 2211
Rubin: 2169
Petrova (current): 2005

31 Oct 2003 19:56:03
Robert B. Waltz
Re: WTA Race Update (Spoiler)

"Josh Briscoe" <j.briscoe@sympatico.ca > wrote:

> I read an article last week saying Venus has bagged on the rest of the
> season. So with that in mind, would Sugiyama not have already clinched and
> now the only question left is Petrova/Rubin for 8 and 9?

Serena has officially bagged the season, but Venus has not.
In fact, officials at Philadelphia were upset at her withdrawal.
She may have decided not to play -- but it's not official.

Since you are responding to a statement which said Sugiyama
had clinched, Sugiyama obviously has clinched. If Venus
is out, then you're right, it's Petrova or Rubin for the
last spot, with Petrova having to win to earn it. But if
Venus plays, then it's over, with Petrova playing only for
the alternate spot.