31 Mar 2008 20:27:16
grif
Soderling looks like he's gonna quit

heat exhaustion

31 Mar 2008 12:28:09
fearsomeforehand
Re: Soderling looks like he's gonna quit

On Mar 31, 3:27=A0pm, "grif" <griffin_...@btinternet.com > wrote:
> heat exhaustion

Lucky for Rog. He wasn't playing too well (could have something to do
with the windy conditions). Now he doesn't have to spend too much time
in the heat.

31 Mar 2008 20:32:11
grif

"fearsomeforehand" <fearsome.forehand16@gmail.com > wrote in message
On Mar 31, 3:27 pm, "grif" <griffin_...@btinternet.com > wrote:
> heat exhaustion

>Lucky for Rog. He wasn't playing too well (could have something to do
>with the windy conditions). Now he doesn't have to spend too much time
>in the heat.

I didn't see the Blake/Santoro match, but I heard that Blake said he felt
wasted after the 1st set. Conditions must be bad out there.

31 Mar 2008 12:33:05
Re: Soderling looks like he's gonna quit

On Mar 31, 3:27 pm, "grif" <griffin_...@btinternet.com > wrote:
> heat exhaustion

Is that what he told the referee?
I didn't catch the exact reason for the 'Retire'.
Or do you have to tell them?
Can you just say I'm not feeling well, and ask to retire?

31 Mar 2008 12:33:34

On Mar 31, 3:32=A0pm, "grif" <griffin_...@btinternet.com > wrote:
> "fearsomeforehand" <fearsome.forehan...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> On Mar 31, 3:27 pm, "grif" <griffin_...@btinternet.com> wrote:
>
> > heat exhaustion
> >Lucky for Rog. He wasn't playing too well (could have something to do
> >with the windy conditions). Now he doesn't have to spend too much time
> >in the heat.
>
> I didn't see the Blake/Santoro match, but I heard that Blake said he felt
> wasted after the 1st set. Conditions must be bad out there.

Yep. First time I was seeing Blake looking exhausted (and he is strong
as a horse).

31 Mar 2008 20:39:16
grif

<google3luo359@yahoo.com > wrote in message
> On Mar 31, 3:27 pm, "grif" <griffin_...@btinternet.com> wrote:
>> heat exhaustion
>

> Is that what he told the referee?
> I didn't catch the exact reason for the 'Retire'.
> Or do you have to tell them?
> Can you just say I'm not feeling well, and ask to retire?

He was saying that he could barely move to the trainer. The trainer asked
him to take some pills, but Soderling said that he had already taken pills.
The commentators said it was heat exhaustion.

31 Mar 2008 12:51:21
andrew.reys@gmail.com

On Mar 31, 12:39=A0pm, "grif" <griffin_...@btinternet.com > wrote:
> <google3luo...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

On Mar 31, 3:27 pm, "grif" <griffin_...@btinternet.com > wrote:
> >> heat exhaustion
>
> > Is that what he told the referee?
> > I didn't catch the exact reason for the 'Retire'.
> > Or do you have to tell them?
> > Can you just say I'm not feeling well, and ask to retire?
>
> He was saying that he could barely move to the trainer. The trainer asked
> him to take some pills, but Soderling said that he had already taken pills=
.
> The commentators said it was heat exhaustion.

Crazy. Weather.com is showing that, while the humidity is 68%, the
ambient temperature in the Key Biscayne area is only 77 F...

31 Mar 2008 20:07:28
Dr. GroundAxe

grif wrote:
> heat exhaustion

Soderling looks like the type that would whilt in hot weather.

31 Mar 2008 13:13:01
wkhedr
Re: Soderling looks like he's gonna quit

On Mar 31, 3:51=A0pm, "andrew.r...@gmail.com" <andrew.r...@gmail.com >
wrote:
> On Mar 31, 12:39=A0pm, "grif" <griffin_...@btinternet.com> wrote:
>
> > <google3luo...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > > Is that what he told the referee?
> > > I didn't catch the exact reason for the 'Retire'.
> > > Or do you have to tell them?
> > > Can you just say I'm not feeling well, and ask to retire?
>
> > He was saying that he could barely move to the trainer. The trainer aske=
> > him to take some pills, but Soderling said that he had already taken pil=
ls.
> > The commentators said it was heat exhaustion.
>
> Crazy. Weather.com is showing that, while the humidity is 68%, the
> ambient temperature in the Key Biscayne area is only 77 F...

I was wondering about this too. That day when Blake/Santoro were
playing the Temperature was 80 and humidity around 60-70. It was not
that bad at all.
I used to play tennis for more than six hours a day in 110 degrees.
But it was on clay, not sure if it gets very bad on HC to the extent
players can't continue playing.
Now I live in Boston, and highest temperature in the summer is 90-95
(only few days).
When I travel to other hot places where the temperature is around
105-115, I can't play for more than 20-30 minutes for the first few
days, after that the body gets adjusted some how. But it takes 2-3
weeks to get fully adjusted.

31 Mar 2008 13:41:11
undecided

On Mar 31, 4:13=A0pm, wkhedr <wkh...@my-deja.com > wrote:
> On Mar 31, 3:51=A0pm, "andrew.r...@gmail.com" <andrew.r...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> > On Mar 31, 12:39=A0pm, "grif" <griffin_...@btinternet.com> wrote:
>
> > > <google3luo...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > > He was saying that he could barely move to the trainer. The trainer as=
ked
> > > him to take some pills, but Soderling said that he had already taken p=
ills.
> > > The commentators said it was heat exhaustion.
>
> > Crazy. Weather.com is showing that, while the humidity is 68%, the
> > ambient temperature in the Key Biscayne area is only 77 F...
>
> I was wondering about this too. That day when Blake/Santoro were
> playing the Temperature was 80 and humidity around 60-70. It was not
> that bad at all.
> I used to play tennis for more than six hours a day in 110 degrees.
> But it was on clay, not sure if it gets very bad on HC to the extent
> players can't continue playing.
> Now I live in Boston, and highest temperature in the summer is 90-95
> (only few days).
> When I travel to other hot places where the temperature is around
> 105-115, I can't play for more than 20-30 minutes for the first few
> days, after that the body gets adjusted some how. But it takes 2-3
> weeks to get fully adjusted.- Hide quoted text -

I've played in 100-100 degree weather with 80% humidity. After 1 hour
I was done. Of course, I was 40 at the time but well-trained.

31 Mar 2008 13:42:09
Re: Soderling looks like he's gonna quit

Those conditions do not warrant heat exhaustion, nor does the time on
court or exertion level. Total throwing-in-the-towel from Sonderling.

31 Mar 2008 13:42:22
andrew.reys@gmail.com

On Mar 31, 1:13=A0pm, wkhedr <wkh...@my-deja.com > wrote:
> On Mar 31, 3:51=A0pm, "andrew.r...@gmail.com" <andrew.r...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> > On Mar 31, 12:39=A0pm, "grif" <griffin_...@btinternet.com> wrote:
>
> > > <google3luo...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > > He was saying that he could barely move to the trainer. The trainer as=
ked
> > > him to take some pills, but Soderling said that he had already taken p=
ills.
> > > The commentators said it was heat exhaustion.
>
> > Crazy. Weather.com is showing that, while the humidity is 68%, the
> > ambient temperature in the Key Biscayne area is only 77 F...
>
> I was wondering about this too. That day when Blake/Santoro were
> playing the Temperature was 80 and humidity around 60-70. It was not
> that bad at all.
> I used to play tennis for more than six hours a day in 110 degrees.
> But it was on clay, not sure if it gets very bad on HC to the extent
> players can't continue playing.
> Now I live in Boston, and highest temperature in the summer is 90-95
> (only few days).
> When I travel to other hot places where the temperature is around
> 105-115, I can't play for more than 20-30 minutes for the first few
> days, after that the body gets adjusted some how. But it takes 2-3
> weeks to get fully adjusted.- Hide quoted text -

It's definitely different on hardcourt. You get more heat reflected at
you by the surface, and it will actually raise the on-court
temperature noticeably as the HC heats up. However, when I attended
the last week of IW last year, the temperature was hitting the upper
90s and low 100s on a consistent basis. I can't imagine 77 degrees
being anywhere near as bad even with humidity approaching 70 %.

31 Mar 2008 14:57:16
Re: Soderling looks like he's gonna quit

Muster and Lendl once played an Australian Open QF where the air
temperature was 115 degrees and the oncourt temp was 130. Neither of
them retired and the match lasted 3 and a half hours. Those guys were
MEN. Sonderling is a wimp!

31 Mar 2008 18:44:42
bob

<andrew.reys@gmail.com > wrote in message
On Mar 31, 12:39 pm, "grif" <griffin_...@btinternet.com > wrote:
> <google3luo...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> On Mar 31, 3:27 pm, "grif" <griffin_...@btinternet.com> wrote:
> >> heat exhaustion
>
> > Is that what he told the referee?
> > I didn't catch the exact reason for the 'Retire'.
> > Or do you have to tell them?
> > Can you just say I'm not feeling well, and ask to retire?
>
> He was saying that he could barely move to the trainer. The trainer asked
> him to take some pills, but Soderling said that he had already taken
> pills.
> The commentators said it was heat exhaustion.

>Crazy. Weather.com is showing that, while the humidity is 68%, the
ambient temperature in the Key Biscayne area is only 77 F...

no, it was very hot here today.

i've been saying for yrs to swap miami & IW in the schedule. it always gets
hot for the miami tournament, while previous month is always pleasant, 70s,
much lower humidity.

bob

31 Mar 2008 18:46:09
bob

On Mar 31, 1:13 pm, wkhedr <wkh...@my-deja.com > wrote:
> On Mar 31, 3:51 pm, "andrew.r...@gmail.com" <andrew.r...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> > On Mar 31, 12:39 pm, "grif" <griffin_...@btinternet.com> wrote:
>
> > > <google3luo...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > > He was saying that he could barely move to the trainer. The trainer
> > > asked
> > > him to take some pills, but Soderling said that he had already taken
> > > pills.
> > > The commentators said it was heat exhaustion.
>
> > Crazy. Weather.com is showing that, while the humidity is 68%, the
> > ambient temperature in the Key Biscayne area is only 77 F...
>
> I was wondering about this too. That day when Blake/Santoro were
> playing the Temperature was 80 and humidity around 60-70. It was not
> that bad at all.
> I used to play tennis for more than six hours a day in 110 degrees.
> But it was on clay, not sure if it gets very bad on HC to the extent
> players can't continue playing.
> Now I live in Boston, and highest temperature in the summer is 90-95
> (only few days).
> When I travel to other hot places where the temperature is around
> 105-115, I can't play for more than 20-30 minutes for the first few
> days, after that the body gets adjusted some how. But it takes 2-3
> weeks to get fully adjusted.- Hide quoted text -

>It's definitely different on hardcourt. You get more heat reflected at
you by the surface, and it will actually raise the on-court
temperature noticeably as the HC heats up. However, when I attended
the last week of IW last year, the temperature was hitting the upper
90s and low 100s on a consistent basis. I can't imagine 77 degrees
being anywhere near as bad even with humidity approaching 70 %.

florida's a much different heat than IW. they should switch miami and IW in
the schedule, really.

bob

01 Apr 2008 01:38:00
Fan