09 May 2007 01:16:06
Sakari Lund
So is Bodo right and all of them wrong?

The world of tennis has been paying tribute to Kim Clijsters who has
announced her retirement.

Here are what some of the key figures said about the Belgian
superstar.

LARRY SCOTT (WTA Tour chief executive): "Kim Clijsters will be
remembered as one of the most accomplished and loved players in the
history of women's professional tennis. No player has been so
unanimously popular with fans and fellow players alike.

"She has been a once-in-a-generation champion. Kim's contribution to
popularising the sport in her native Belgium, as well as globally, is
well known. Athletic and determined on court, Kim has also been a
wonderful ambassador for the sport off it and she will be much missed
by her legions of fans, fellow players and everyone connected with the
WTA Tour."

JUSTINE HENIN (Belgium), world number one: "I have a lot of respect
for what she did in her career, as a player, as a person. It's pretty
emotional because we spent a lot of time together when we were younger
and we grew up together on the tour. I think we helped each other to
another level because we pushed each other always to play better.

"She's been a great player and it's time for her now to turn the page
and do something else in her life and everyone has to respect that.
She did a lot for the game, for Belgian tennis and I will have great
memories of her."

AMELIE MAURESMO (France), Wimbledon champion: "I think she had been
thinking about retiring for a while so I'm sure she is really
convinced that it's the right decision for her.

"Personally I always enjoyed our rivalry because it brought the best
out in both of us."

SERENA WILLIAMS (U.S.), Australian Open champion: "She was a great
player, a great competitor and an even better person.

"We had some great matches but I'll miss her more in the locker room
than anything else".

09 May 2007 09:14:52
David W
Re: So is Bodo right and all of them wrong?

"Sakari Lund" <sakari.lund@welho.com > wrote in message

> The world of tennis has been paying tribute to Kim Clijsters who has
> announced her retirement.
>
> Here are what some of the key figures said about the Belgian
> superstar.
>
> LARRY SCOTT (WTA Tour chief executive): "Kim Clijsters will be
> remembered as one of the most accomplished and loved players in the
> history of women's professional tennis. No player has been so
> unanimously popular with fans and fellow players alike.

Larry must have forgotten about Steffi.

> "She has been a once-in-a-generation champion.

Correction: He must have Kim and Steffi mixed up. He's not giving due credit
though, since you don't get a Steffi as often as once per generation.

08 May 2007 16:15:51
Voice of Reason

On May 8, 6:16 pm, Sakari Lund <sakari.l...@welho.com > wrote:
> The world of tennis has been paying tribute to Kim Clijsters who has
> announced her retirement.
>
> Here are what some of the key figures said about the Belgian
> superstar.
>
> LARRY SCOTT (WTA Tour chief executive): "Kim Clijsters will be
> remembered as one of the most accomplished and loved players in the
> history of women's professional tennis. No player has been so
> unanimously popular with fans and fellow players alike.
>
> "She has been a once-in-a-generation champion. Kim's contribution to
> popularising the sport in her native Belgium, as well as globally, is
> well known. Athletic and determined on court, Kim has also been a
> wonderful ambassador for the sport off it and she will be much missed
> by her legions of fans, fellow players and everyone connected with the
> WTA Tour."
>
> JUSTINE HENIN (Belgium), world number one: "I have a lot of respect
> for what she did in her career, as a player, as a person. It's pretty
> emotional because we spent a lot of time together when we were younger
> and we grew up together on the tour. I think we helped each other to
> another level because we pushed each other always to play better.
>
> "She's been a great player and it's time for her now to turn the page
> and do something else in her life and everyone has to respect that.
> She did a lot for the game, for Belgian tennis and I will have great
> memories of her."
>
> AMELIE MAURESMO (France), Wimbledon champion: "I think she had been
> thinking about retiring for a while so I'm sure she is really
> convinced that it's the right decision for her.
>
> "Personally I always enjoyed our rivalry because it brought the best
> out in both of us."
>
> SERENA WILLIAMS (U.S.), Australian Open champion: "She was a great
> player, a great competitor and an even better person.
>
> "We had some great matches but I'll miss her more in the locker room
> than anything else".

Why does Federer have haters like Hardcell and Groundaxe?

I think, more than anything else, Bodo finds her likeability and her
"sweet attitude" nauseating. It's clear from the beginning that he
dislikes her -- and I think it is *because* of her universal
popularity.

Some people find the mix of success and a good personality nauseating
-- they are intimidated; thus, they look to disparage the objects of
their discontent so that they can relate with them.

08 May 2007 17:01:18
Voice of Reason

On May 8, 7:15 pm, Voice of Reason <sasidha...@gmail.com > wrote:
> On May 8, 6:16 pm, Sakari Lund <sakari.l...@welho.com> wrote:
>

> > The world of tennis has been paying tribute to Kim Clijsters who has
> > announced her retirement.
>
> > Here are what some of the key figures said about the Belgian
> > superstar.
>
> > LARRY SCOTT (WTA Tour chief executive): "Kim Clijsters will be
> > remembered as one of the most accomplished and loved players in the
> > history of women's professional tennis. No player has been so
> > unanimously popular with fans and fellow players alike.
>
> > "She has been a once-in-a-generation champion. Kim's contribution to
> > popularising the sport in her native Belgium, as well as globally, is
> > well known. Athletic and determined on court, Kim has also been a
> > wonderful ambassador for the sport off it and she will be much missed
> > by her legions of fans, fellow players and everyone connected with the
> > WTA Tour."
>
> > JUSTINE HENIN (Belgium), world number one: "I have a lot of respect
> > for what she did in her career, as a player, as a person. It's pretty
> > emotional because we spent a lot of time together when we were younger
> > and we grew up together on the tour. I think we helped each other to
> > another level because we pushed each other always to play better.
>
> > "She's been a great player and it's time for her now to turn the page
> > and do something else in her life and everyone has to respect that.
> > She did a lot for the game, for Belgian tennis and I will have great
> > memories of her."
>
> > AMELIE MAURESMO (France), Wimbledon champion: "I think she had been
> > thinking about retiring for a while so I'm sure she is really
> > convinced that it's the right decision for her.
>
> > "Personally I always enjoyed our rivalry because it brought the best
> > out in both of us."
>
> > SERENA WILLIAMS (U.S.), Australian Open champion: "She was a great
> > player, a great competitor and an even better person.
>
> > "We had some great matches but I'll miss her more in the locker room
> > than anything else".
>
> Why does Federer have haters like Hardcell and Groundaxe?
>
> I think, more than anything else, Bodo finds her likeability and her
> "sweet attitude" nauseating. It's clear from the beginning that he
> dislikes her -- and I think it is *because* of her universal
> popularity.
>
> Some people find the mix of success and a good personality nauseating
> -- they are intimidated; thus, they look to disparage the objects of
> their discontent so that they can relate with them.

idiom: relate to

08 May 2007 18:28:53
R*A*J*A*

On May 8, 6:15 pm, Voice of Reason <sasidha...@gmail.com > wrote:
> On May 8, 6:16 pm, Sakari Lund <sakari.l...@welho.com> wrote:
>

> > The world of tennis has been paying tribute to Kim Clijsters who has
> > announced her retirement.
>
> > Here are what some of the key figures said about the Belgian
> > superstar.
>
> > LARRY SCOTT (WTA Tour chief executive): "Kim Clijsters will be
> > remembered as one of the most accomplished and loved players in the
> > history of women's professional tennis. No player has been so
> > unanimously popular with fans and fellow players alike.
>
> > "She has been a once-in-a-generation champion. Kim's contribution to
> > popularising the sport in her native Belgium, as well as globally, is
> > well known. Athletic and determined on court, Kim has also been a
> > wonderful ambassador for the sport off it and she will be much missed
> > by her legions of fans, fellow players and everyone connected with the
> > WTA Tour."
>
> > JUSTINE HENIN (Belgium), world number one: "I have a lot of respect
> > for what she did in her career, as a player, as a person. It's pretty
> > emotional because we spent a lot of time together when we were younger
> > and we grew up together on the tour. I think we helped each other to
> > another level because we pushed each other always to play better.
>
> > "She's been a great player and it's time for her now to turn the page
> > and do something else in her life and everyone has to respect that.
> > She did a lot for the game, for Belgian tennis and I will have great
> > memories of her."
>
> > AMELIE MAURESMO (France), Wimbledon champion: "I think she had been
> > thinking about retiring for a while so I'm sure she is really
> > convinced that it's the right decision for her.
>
> > "Personally I always enjoyed our rivalry because it brought the best
> > out in both of us."
>
> > SERENA WILLIAMS (U.S.), Australian Open champion: "She was a great
> > player, a great competitor and an even better person.
>
> > "We had some great matches but I'll miss her more in the locker room
> > than anything else".
>
> Why does Federer have haters like Hardcell and Groundaxe?
>
> I think, more than anything else, Bodo finds her likeability and her
> "sweet attitude" nauseating. It's clear from the beginning that he
> dislikes her -- and I think it is *because* of her universal
> popularity.

And also because she is fake.

> Some people find the mix of success and a good personality nauseating
> -- they are intimidated; thus, they look to disparage the objects of
> their discontent so that they can relate with them.- Hide quoted text -

09 May 2007 00:41:58
hoopyhoop@googlemail.com

On May 9, 1:15 am, Voice of Reason <sasidha...@gmail.com > wrote:
> On May 8, 6:16 pm, Sakari Lund <sakari.l...@welho.com> wrote:
>

> > The world of tennis has been paying tribute to Kim Clijsters who has
> > announced her retirement.
>
> > Here are what some of the key figures said about the Belgian
> > superstar.
>
> > LARRY SCOTT (WTA Tour chief executive): "Kim Clijsters will be
> > remembered as one of the most accomplished and loved players in the
> > history of women's professional tennis. No player has been so
> > unanimously popular with fans and fellow players alike.
>
> > "She has been a once-in-a-generation champion. Kim's contribution to
> > popularising the sport in her native Belgium, as well as globally, is
> > well known. Athletic and determined on court, Kim has also been a
> > wonderful ambassador for the sport off it and she will be much missed
> > by her legions of fans, fellow players and everyone connected with the
> > WTA Tour."
>
> > JUSTINE HENIN (Belgium), world number one: "I have a lot of respect
> > for what she did in her career, as a player, as a person. It's pretty
> > emotional because we spent a lot of time together when we were younger
> > and we grew up together on the tour. I think we helped each other to
> > another level because we pushed each other always to play better.
>
> > "She's been a great player and it's time for her now to turn the page
> > and do something else in her life and everyone has to respect that.
> > She did a lot for the game, for Belgian tennis and I will have great
> > memories of her."
>
> > AMELIE MAURESMO (France), Wimbledon champion: "I think she had been
> > thinking about retiring for a while so I'm sure she is really
> > convinced that it's the right decision for her.
>
> > "Personally I always enjoyed our rivalry because it brought the best
> > out in both of us."
>
> > SERENA WILLIAMS (U.S.), Australian Open champion: "She was a great
> > player, a great competitor and an even better person.
>
> > "We had some great matches but I'll miss her more in the locker room
> > than anything else".
>
> Why does Federer have haters like Hardcell and Groundaxe?
>
> I think, more than anything else, Bodo finds her likeability and her
> "sweet attitude" nauseating. It's clear from the beginning that he
> dislikes her -- and I think it is *because* of her universal
> popularity.
>
> Some people find the mix of success and a good personality nauseating
> -- they are intimidated; thus, they look to disparage the objects of
> their discontent so that they can relate with them.

He has no problems with Federer though.

I think he wrote about why he dislikes her in the article, there's no
real need to try to read between the lines.
Of course you can disagree with his conclusions/interpretations
(boring style of play, too much/early talk about retirement due to
injuries).
I guess in the end it's about wasted talent/lack of determination.

09 May 2007 06:11:41
Fan
Re: So is Bodo right and all of them wrong?

> I think, more than anything else, Bodo finds her likeability and her
> "sweet attitude" nauseating. It's clear from the beginning that he
> dislikes her -- and I think it is *because* of her universal
> popularity.
>
> Some people find the mix of success and a good personality nauseating
> -- they are intimidated; thus, they look to disparage the objects of
> their discontent so that they can relate with them.

I think you have a point here. What makes the likes of Bodo resent
people like Kim is that she is superior without acting superior. A
great athlete with good family without any of the baggage some players
carry with them. She grew up in a privileged environment and seems to
be at ease with herself and with others. She is immensely popular with
the other players and that too can be a source of resentment for
inferiors. There was a time when I would read Bodo's columns but no
longer find them of particular interest or value.

09 May 2007 07:16:27
UC

On May 9, 9:11 am, Fan <Turnagain...@hotmail.com > wrote:
> > I think, more than anything else, Bodo finds her likeability and her
> > "sweet attitude" nauseating. It's clear from the beginning that he
> > dislikes her -- and I think it is *because* of her universal
> > popularity.
>
> > Some people find the mix of success and a good personality nauseating
> > -- they are intimidated; thus, they look to disparage the objects of
> > their discontent so that they can relate with them.
>
> I think you have a point here. What makes the likes of Bodo resent
> people like Kim is that she is superior without acting superior. A
> great athlete with good family without any of the baggage some players
> carry with them. She grew up in a privileged environment and seems to
> be at ease with herself and with others. She is immensely popular with
> the other players and that too can be a source of resentment for
> inferiors. There was a time when I would read Bodo's columns but no
> longer find them of particular interest or value.

She is unimportant. That's the best way to dismiss her.

09 May 2007 07:43:45
R*A*J*A*

On May 9, 8:11 am, Fan <Turnagain...@hotmail.com > wrote:
> > I think, more than anything else, Bodo finds her likeability and her
> > "sweet attitude" nauseating. It's clear from the beginning that he
> > dislikes her -- and I think it is *because* of her universal
> > popularity.
>
> > Some people find the mix of success and a good personality nauseating
> > -- they are intimidated; thus, they look to disparage the objects of
> > their discontent so that they can relate with them.
>
> I think you have a point here. What makes the likes of Bodo resent
> people like Kim is that she is superior without acting superior. A
> great athlete with good family without any of the baggage some players
> carry with them. She grew up in a privileged environment and seems to
> be at ease with herself and with others. She is immensely popular with
> the other players and that too can be a source of resentment for
> inferiors. There was a time when I would read Bodo's columns but no
> longer find them of particular interest or value.

She is a one slammer after all. Did anybody make a fuss about Thomas
Muster's retirement. Did he win one slam and also get to #1?
Why does she have to get all this attention? Because she is a
princess?

09 May 2007 07:50:54
Voice of Reason

On May 9, 10:16 am, UC <uraniumcommit...@yahoo.com > wrote:
> On May 9, 9:11 am, Fan <Turnagain...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

> > > I think, more than anything else, Bodo finds her likeability and her
> > > "sweet attitude" nauseating. It's clear from the beginning that he
> > > dislikes her -- and I think it is *because* of her universal
> > > popularity.
>
> > > Some people find the mix of success and a good personality nauseating
> > > -- they are intimidated; thus, they look to disparage the objects of
> > > their discontent so that they can relate with them.
>
> > I think you have a point here. What makes the likes of Bodo resent
> > people like Kim is that she is superior without acting superior. A
> > great athlete with good family without any of the baggage some players
> > carry with them. She grew up in a privileged environment and seems to
> > be at ease with herself and with others. She is immensely popular with
> > the other players and that too can be a source of resentment for
> > inferiors. There was a time when I would read Bodo's columns but no
> > longer find them of particular interest or value.
>
> She is unimportant. That's the best way to dismiss her.

Saying she is unimportant and dismissing her is one thing. Frankly, I
am a wee bit annoyed at her for the drama but nothing justifies the
scathing attacks by Bodo.

09 May 2007 07:51:30
Fan

On May 9, 4:43 pm, R*A*J*A* <zepflo...@gmail.com > wrote:
> On May 9, 8:11 am, Fan <Turnagain...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

> > > I think, more than anything else, Bodo finds her likeability and her
> > > "sweet attitude" nauseating. It's clear from the beginning that he
> > > dislikes her -- and I think it is *because* of her universal
> > > popularity.
>
> > > Some people find the mix of success and a good personality nauseating
> > > -- they are intimidated; thus, they look to disparage the objects of
> > > their discontent so that they can relate with them.
>
> > I think you have a point here. What makes the likes of Bodo resent
> > people like Kim is that she is superior without acting superior. A
> > great athlete with good family without any of the baggage some players
> > carry with them. She grew up in a privileged environment and seems to
> > be at ease with herself and with others. She is immensely popular with
> > the other players and that too can be a source of resentment for
> > inferiors. There was a time when I would read Bodo's columns but no
> > longer find them of particular interest or value.
>
> She is a one slammer after all. Did anybody make a fuss about Thomas
> Muster's retirement. Did he win one slam and also get to #1?
> Why does she have to get all this attention? Because she is a
> princess?

Yes

09 May 2007 09:29:05
UC

On May 9, 10:50 am, Voice of Reason <sasidha...@gmail.com > wrote:

> > > I think you have a point here. What makes the likes of Bodo resent
> > > people like Kim is that she is superior without acting superior. A
> > > great athlete with good family without any of the baggage some players
> > > carry with them. She grew up in a privileged environment and seems to
> > > be at ease with herself and with others. She is immensely popular with
> > > the other players and that too can be a source of resentment for
> > > inferiors. There was a time when I would read Bodo's columns but no
> > > longer find them of particular interest or value.
>
> > She is unimportant. That's the best way to dismiss her.
>
> Saying she is unimportant and dismissing her is one thing. Frankly, I
> am a wee bit annoyed at her for the drama but nothing justifies the
> scathing attacks by Bodo.

Of course he's right. These walking dead tennis players are unworthy
of even the slightest atttention.

"Zombies can be killed by a bullet or sharp blow to the head. "Kill
the brain, and you kill the ghoul".

http://ericlathrop.com/notld/

09 May 2007 09:44:44
Fan

On May 9, 4:50 pm, Voice of Reason <sasidha...@gmail.com > wrote:

> > > I think you have a point here. What makes the likes of Bodo resent
> > > people like Kim is that she is superior without acting superior. A
> > > great athlete with good family without any of the baggage some players
> > > carry with them. She grew up in a privileged environment and seems to
> > > be at ease with herself and with others. She is immensely popular with
> > > the other players and that too can be a source of resentment for
> > > inferiors. There was a time when I would read Bodo's columns but no
> > > longer find them of particular interest or value.
>
> > She is unimportant. That's the best way to dismiss her.
>
> Saying she is unimportant and dismissing her is one thing. Frankly, I
> am a wee bit annoyed at her for the drama but nothing justifies the
> scathing attacks by Bodo.

Bodo is nothing, he is less than nothing, he is just a guy who gets
paid to write about tennis.

09 May 2007 09:46:27
UC

On May 9, 12:44 pm, Fan <Turnagain...@hotmail.com > wrote:
> On May 9, 4:50 pm, Voice of Reason <sasidha...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > She is unimportant. That's the best way to dismiss her.
>
> > Saying she is unimportant and dismissing her is one thing. Frankly, I
> > am a wee bit annoyed at her for the drama but nothing justifies the
> > scathing attacks by Bodo.
>
> Bodo is nothing, he is less than nothing, he is just a guy who gets
> paid to write about tennis.

Kim is a non-entity.

09 May 2007 13:45:15
mimus

On Wed, 09 May 2007 06:11:41 -0700, Fan wrote:

>> I think, more than anything else, Bodo finds her likeability and her
>> "sweet attitude" nauseating. It's clear from the beginning that he
>> dislikes her -- and I think it is *because* of her universal
>> popularity.
>>
>> Some people find the mix of success and a good personality nauseating
>> -- they are intimidated; thus, they look to disparage the objects of
>> their discontent so that they can relate with them.
>
> I think you have a point here. What makes the likes of Bodo resent
> people like Kim is that she is superior without acting superior. A
> great athlete with good family without any of the baggage some players
> carry with them. She grew up in a privileged environment and seems to
> be at ease with herself and with others. She is immensely popular with
> the other players and that too can be a source of resentment for
> inferiors. There was a time when I would read Bodo's columns but no
> longer find them of particular interest or value.

He's always sounded to me like he'd be completely at home in rst, than
which I can think of no harsher reprehension.

--

Take a deep breath, take a walk, cool off, plot a bit, and serve again.

09 May 2007 14:34:06
pltrgyst

On Wed, 09 May 2007 13:45:15 -0400, mimus <tinmimus99@hotmail.com > wrote:

>He's always sounded to me like he'd be completely at home in rst, than
>which I can think of no harsher reprehension.

...or more awkward construction. 8;)

-- Larry

09 May 2007 11:57:15
kipps
Re: So is Bodo right and all of them wrong?

On May 9, 9:11 am, Fan <Turnagain...@hotmail.com > wrote:
> > I think, more than anything else, Bodo finds her likeability and her
> > "sweet attitude" nauseating. It's clear from the beginning that he
> > dislikes her -- and I think it is *because* of her universal
> > popularity.
>
> > Some people find the mix of success and a good personality nauseating
> > -- they are intimidated; thus, they look to disparage the objects of
> > their discontent so that they can relate with them.
>
> I think you have a point here. What makes the likes of Bodo resent
> people like Kim is that she is superior without acting superior. A
> great athlete with good family without any of the baggage some players
> carry with them. She grew up in a privileged environment and seems to
> be at ease with herself and with others. She is immensely popular with
> the other players and that too can be a source of resentment for
> inferiors. There was a time when I would read Bodo's columns but no
> longer find them of particular interest or value.

Bodo is a bozo and a zozo writer with zero tennis knowledge!

09 May 2007 12:00:20
UC

On May 9, 2:57 pm, kipps <k_par...@yahoo.com > wrote:
> On May 9, 9:11 am, Fan <Turnagain...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

> > > I think, more than anything else, Bodo finds her likeability and her
> > > "sweet attitude" nauseating. It's clear from the beginning that he
> > > dislikes her -- and I think it is *because* of her universal
> > > popularity.
>
> > > Some people find the mix of success and a good personality nauseating
> > > -- they are intimidated; thus, they look to disparage the objects of
> > > their discontent so that they can relate with them.
>
> > I think you have a point here. What makes the likes of Bodo resent
> > people like Kim is that she is superior without acting superior. A
> > great athlete with good family without any of the baggage some players
> > carry with them. She grew up in a privileged environment and seems to
> > be at ease with herself and with others. She is immensely popular with
> > the other players and that too can be a source of resentment for
> > inferiors. There was a time when I would read Bodo's columns but no
> > longer find them of particular interest or value.
>
> Bodo is a bozo and a zozo writer with zero tennis knowledge!

As if you are fit to judge...

10 May 2007 05:51:17
Whisper

Fan wrote:
>> I think, more than anything else, Bodo finds her likeability and her
>> "sweet attitude" nauseating. It's clear from the beginning that he
>> dislikes her -- and I think it is *because* of her universal
>> popularity.
>>
>> Some people find the mix of success and a good personality nauseating
>> -- they are intimidated; thus, they look to disparage the objects of
>> their discontent so that they can relate with them.
>
> I think you have a point here. What makes the likes of Bodo resent
> people like Kim is that she is superior without acting superior. A
> great athlete with good family without any of the baggage some players
> carry with them. She grew up in a privileged environment and seems to
> be at ease with herself and with others. She is immensely popular with
> the other players and that too can be a source of resentment for
> inferiors. There was a time when I would read Bodo's columns but no
> longer find them of particular interest or value.

He speaks the truth. You're free to be a fan though - I liked Mac even
though many hated him.

09 May 2007 12:57:36
UC

On May 9, 3:51 pm, Whisper <beaver...@ozemail.com.au > wrote:
> Fan wrote:
> >> I think, more than anything else, Bodo finds her likeability and her
> >> "sweet attitude" nauseating. It's clear from the beginning that he
> >> dislikes her -- and I think it is *because* of her universal
> >> popularity.
>
> >> Some people find the mix of success and a good personality nauseating
> >> -- they are intimidated; thus, they look to disparage the objects of
> >> their discontent so that they can relate with them.
>
> > I think you have a point here. What makes the likes of Bodo resent
> > people like Kim is that she is superior without acting superior. A
> > great athlete with good family without any of the baggage some players
> > carry with them. She grew up in a privileged environment and seems to
> > be at ease with herself and with others. She is immensely popular with
> > the other players and that too can be a source of resentment for
> > inferiors. There was a time when I would read Bodo's columns but no
> > longer find them of particular interest or value.
>
> He speaks the truth. You're free to be a fan though - I liked Mac even
> though many hated him.

I liked Mac too. He was a true tennis genius. Only Nastase approached
him.

09 May 2007 13:13:29
Joe Ramirez
Re: So is Bodo right and all of them wrong?

On May 8, 7:15 pm, Voice of Reason <sasidha...@gmail.com > wrote:
> On May 8, 6:16 pm, Sakari Lund <sakari.l...@welho.com> wrote:
>

> > The world of tennis has been paying tribute to Kim Clijsters who has
> > announced her retirement.
>
> > Here are what some of the key figures said about the Belgian
> > superstar.
>
> > LARRY SCOTT (WTA Tour chief executive): "Kim Clijsters will be
> > remembered as one of the most accomplished and loved players in the
> > history of women's professional tennis. No player has been so
> > unanimously popular with fans and fellow players alike.
>
> > "She has been a once-in-a-generation champion. Kim's contribution to
> > popularising the sport in her native Belgium, as well as globally, is
> > well known. Athletic and determined on court, Kim has also been a
> > wonderful ambassador for the sport off it and she will be much missed
> > by her legions of fans, fellow players and everyone connected with the
> > WTA Tour."
>
> > JUSTINE HENIN (Belgium), world number one: "I have a lot of respect
> > for what she did in her career, as a player, as a person. It's pretty
> > emotional because we spent a lot of time together when we were younger
> > and we grew up together on the tour. I think we helped each other to
> > another level because we pushed each other always to play better.
>
> > "She's been a great player and it's time for her now to turn the page
> > and do something else in her life and everyone has to respect that.
> > She did a lot for the game, for Belgian tennis and I will have great
> > memories of her."
>
> > AMELIE MAURESMO (France), Wimbledon champion: "I think she had been
> > thinking about retiring for a while so I'm sure she is really
> > convinced that it's the right decision for her.
>
> > "Personally I always enjoyed our rivalry because it brought the best
> > out in both of us."
>
> > SERENA WILLIAMS (U.S.), Australian Open champion: "She was a great
> > player, a great competitor and an even better person.
>
> > "We had some great matches but I'll miss her more in the locker room
> > than anything else".
>
> Why does Federer have haters like Hardcell and Groundaxe?
>
> I think, more than anything else, Bodo finds her likeability and her
> "sweet attitude" nauseating. It's clear from the beginning that he
> dislikes her -- and I think it is *because* of her universal
> popularity.
>
> Some people find the mix of success and a good personality nauseating
> -- they are intimidated; thus, they look to disparage the objects of
> their discontent so that they can relate with them.

Last night I saw the opera "Billy Budd" by Britten (based on the story
by Herman Melville). Billy Budd is a seaman who is beloved by everyone
on his ship and who essentially radiates goodness. The only person who
dislikes him is the evil Master-of-Arms, who hates Budd for his
goodness (and because he feels a homoerotic attraction toward Budd
that he can't stand to face in himself) and vows to destroy him so he
can return to his peaceful existence of untroubled meanness.

Joe Ramirez

09 May 2007 13:17:00
Sao Paulo Swallow

On May 9, 1:13 pm, Joe Ramirez <josephmrami...@netzero.com > wrote:
> [...]
> > "sweet attitude" nauseating. It's clear from the beginning that he
> > dislikes her -- and I think it is *because* of her universal
> > popularity.
>
> > Some people find the mix of success and a good personality nauseating
> > -- they are intimidated; thus, they look to disparage the objects of
> > their discontent so that they can relate with them.
>
> Last night I saw the opera "Billy Budd" by Britten (based on the story
> by Herman Melville). Billy Budd is a seaman who is beloved by everyone
> on his ship and who essentially radiates goodness. The only person who
> dislikes him is the evil Master-of-Arms, who hates Budd for his
> goodness (and because he feels a homoerotic attraction toward Budd
> that he can't stand to face in himself) and vows to destroy him so he
> can return to his peaceful existence of untroubled meanness.

Are you saying Whisper has the hots for Federer?!?

10 May 2007 06:20:35
Whisper

Joe Ramirez wrote:
>> Some people find the mix of success and a good personality nauseating
>> -- they are intimidated; thus, they look to disparage the objects of
>> their discontent so that they can relate with them.
>
> Last night I saw the opera "Billy Budd" by Britten (based on the story
> by Herman Melville). Billy Budd is a seaman who is beloved by everyone
> on his ship and who essentially radiates goodness. The only person who
> dislikes him is the evil Master-of-Arms, who hates Budd for his
> goodness (and because he feels a homoerotic attraction toward Budd
> that he can't stand to face in himself) and vows to destroy him so he
> can return to his peaceful existence of untroubled meanness.
>
> Joe Ramirez

Wrong ng.

09 May 2007 13:34:24
UC

On May 9, 4:13 pm, Joe Ramirez <josephmrami...@netzero.com > wrote:
> [...]
> > "sweet attitude" nauseating. It's clear from the beginning that he
> > dislikes her -- and I think it is *because* of her universal
> > popularity.
>
> > Some people find the mix of success and a good personality nauseating
> > -- they are intimidated; thus, they look to disparage the objects of
> > their discontent so that they can relate with them.
>
> Last night I saw the opera "Billy Budd" by Britten (based on the story
> by Herman Melville). Billy Budd is a seaman who is beloved by everyone
> on his ship and who essentially radiates goodness. The only person who
> dislikes him is the evil Master-of-Arms, who hates Budd for his
> goodness (and because he feels a homoerotic attraction toward Budd
> that he can't stand to face in himself) and vows to destroy him so he
> can return to his peaceful existence of untroubled meanness.

I saw the film with Terrence Stamp as Billy Budd.

God bless Captain Vere!

09 May 2007 16:51:01
mimus

On Wed, 09 May 2007 14:34:06 -0400, pltrgyst wrote:

> On Wed, 09 May 2007 13:45:15 -0400, mimus <tinmimus99@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>He's always sounded to me like he'd be completely at home in rst, than
>>which I can think of no harsher reprehension.
>
> ...or more awkward construction. 8;)

But very proper.

--

Take a deep breath, take a walk, cool off, plot a bit, and serve again.

09 May 2007 14:14:48
Joe Ramirez

On May 9, 4:34 pm, UC <uraniumcommit...@yahoo.com > wrote:
> On May 9, 4:13 pm, Joe Ramirez <josephmrami...@netzero.com> wrote:

> > > Why does Federer have haters like Hardcell and Groundaxe?
>
> > > I think, more than anything else, Bodo finds her likeability and her
> > > "sweet attitude" nauseating. It's clear from the beginning that he
> > > dislikes her -- and I think it is *because* of her universal
> > > popularity.
>
> > > Some people find the mix of success and a good personality nauseating
> > > -- they are intimidated; thus, they look to disparage the objects of
> > > their discontent so that they can relate with them.
>
> > Last night I saw the opera "Billy Budd" by Britten (based on the story
> > by Herman Melville). Billy Budd is a seaman who is beloved by everyone
> > on his ship and who essentially radiates goodness. The only person who
> > dislikes him is the evil Master-of-Arms, who hates Budd for his
> > goodness (and because he feels a homoerotic attraction toward Budd
> > that he can't stand to face in himself) and vows to destroy him so he
> > can return to his peaceful existence of untroubled meanness.
>
> > Joe Ramirez
>
> I saw the film with Terrence Stamp as Billy Budd.
>
> God bless Captain Vere!

I was waiting for that line right before the hanging, but in the opera
it's sung as "Starry Vere [the captain's nickname], God bless you." I
like the original better.

Joe Ramirez

10 May 2007 00:46:46
Sakari Lund
Re: So is Bodo right and all of them wrong?

On 8 May 2007 16:15:51 -0700, Voice of Reason <sasidharpv@gmail.com >
wrote:

>On May 8, 6:16 pm, Sakari Lund <sakari.l...@welho.com> wrote:
>> The world of tennis has been paying tribute to Kim Clijsters who has
>> announced her retirement.
>>
>> Here are what some of the key figures said about the Belgian
>> superstar.
>>
>> LARRY SCOTT (WTA Tour chief executive): "Kim Clijsters will be
>> remembered as one of the most accomplished and loved players in the
>> history of women's professional tennis. No player has been so
>> unanimously popular with fans and fellow players alike.
>>
>> "She has been a once-in-a-generation champion. Kim's contribution to
>> popularising the sport in her native Belgium, as well as globally, is
>> well known. Athletic and determined on court, Kim has also been a
>> wonderful ambassador for the sport off it and she will be much missed
>> by her legions of fans, fellow players and everyone connected with the
>> WTA Tour."
>>
>> JUSTINE HENIN (Belgium), world number one: "I have a lot of respect
>> for what she did in her career, as a player, as a person. It's pretty
>> emotional because we spent a lot of time together when we were younger
>> and we grew up together on the tour. I think we helped each other to
>> another level because we pushed each other always to play better.
>>
>> "She's been a great player and it's time for her now to turn the page
>> and do something else in her life and everyone has to respect that.
>> She did a lot for the game, for Belgian tennis and I will have great
>> memories of her."
>>
>> AMELIE MAURESMO (France), Wimbledon champion: "I think she had been
>> thinking about retiring for a while so I'm sure she is really
>> convinced that it's the right decision for her.
>>
>> "Personally I always enjoyed our rivalry because it brought the best
>> out in both of us."
>>
>> SERENA WILLIAMS (U.S.), Australian Open champion: "She was a great
>> player, a great competitor and an even better person.
>>
>> "We had some great matches but I'll miss her more in the locker room
>> than anything else".
>
>Why does Federer have haters like Hardcell and Groundaxe?
>
>I think, more than anything else, Bodo finds her likeability and her
>"sweet attitude" nauseating. It's clear from the beginning that he
>dislikes her -- and I think it is *because* of her universal
>popularity.
>
>Some people find the mix of success and a good personality nauseating
>-- they are intimidated; thus, they look to disparage the objects of
>their discontent so that they can relate with them.

Yes, something like that.

09 May 2007 18:49:21
pltrgyst

On Wed, 09 May 2007 16:51:01 -0400, mimus <tinmimus99@hotmail.com > wrote:

>On Wed, 09 May 2007 14:34:06 -0400, pltrgyst wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 09 May 2007 13:45:15 -0400, mimus <tinmimus99@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>He's always sounded to me like he'd be completely at home in rst, than
>>>which I can think of no harsher reprehension.
>>
>> ...or more awkward construction. 8;)
>
>But very proper.

Agreed. But that's a sterling example of why English is not a simple language to
learn.

-- Larry

09 May 2007 16:03:23
Joe Ramirez

On May 9, 4:20 pm, Whisper <beaver...@ozemail.com.au > wrote:
> Joe Ramirez wrote:
> >> Some people find the mix of success and a good personality nauseating
> >> -- they are intimidated; thus, they look to disparage the objects of
> >> their discontent so that they can relate with them.
>
> > Last night I saw the opera "Billy Budd" by Britten (based on the story
> > by Herman Melville). Billy Budd is a seaman who is beloved by everyone
> > on his ship and who essentially radiates goodness. The only person who
> > dislikes him is the evil Master-of-Arms, who hates Budd for his
> > goodness (and because he feels a homoerotic attraction toward Budd
> > that he can't stand to face in himself) and vows to destroy him so he
> > can return to his peaceful existence of untroubled meanness.
>
> > Joe Ramirez
>
> Wrong ng.

I can't help it your musical and literary knowledge runs the gamut
from the Police to Sting.

Joe Ramirez

09 May 2007 17:38:08
roger5

On May 9, 4:15 am, Voice of Reason <sasidha...@gmail.com > wrote:
> On May 8, 6:16 pm, Sakari Lund <sakari.l...@welho.com> wrote:
>

> > The world of tennis has been paying tribute to Kim Clijsters who has
> > announced her retirement.
>
> > Here are what some of the key figures said about the Belgian
> > superstar.
>
> > LARRY SCOTT (WTA Tour chief executive): "Kim Clijsters will be
> > remembered as one of the most accomplished and loved players in the
> > history of women's professional tennis. No player has been so
> > unanimously popular with fans and fellow players alike.
>
> > "She has been a once-in-a-generation champion. Kim's contribution to
> > popularising the sport in her native Belgium, as well as globally, is
> > well known. Athletic and determined on court, Kim has also been a
> > wonderful ambassador for the sport off it and she will be much missed
> > by her legions of fans, fellow players and everyone connected with the
> > WTA Tour."
>
> > JUSTINE HENIN (Belgium), world number one: "I have a lot of respect
> > for what she did in her career, as a player, as a person. It's pretty
> > emotional because we spent a lot of time together when we were younger
> > and we grew up together on the tour. I think we helped each other to
> > another level because we pushed each other always to play better.
>
> > "She's been a great player and it's time for her now to turn the page
> > and do something else in her life and everyone has to respect that.
> > She did a lot for the game, for Belgian tennis and I will have great
> > memories of her."
>
> > AMELIE MAURESMO (France), Wimbledon champion: "I think she had been
> > thinking about retiring for a while so I'm sure she is really
> > convinced that it's the right decision for her.
>
> > "Personally I always enjoyed our rivalry because it brought the best
> > out in both of us."
>
> > SERENA WILLIAMS (U.S.), Australian Open champion: "She was a great
> > player, a great competitor and an even better person.
>
> > "We had some great matches but I'll miss her more in the locker room
> > than anything else".
>
> Why does Federer have haters like Hardcell and Groundaxe?
>
> I think, more than anything else, Bodo finds her likeability and her
> "sweet attitude" nauseating. It's clear from the beginning that he
> dislikes her -- and I think it is *because* of her universal
> popularity.
>
> Some people find the mix of success and a good personality nauseating
> -- they are intimidated; thus, they look to disparage the objects of
> their discontent so that they can relate with them.

I think you have hit bull's eye here. Great post. Keep it up!!

09 May 2007 21:42:34
Voice of Reason
> [...]

> > "sweet attitude" nauseating. It's clear from the beginning that he
> > dislikes her -- and I think it is *because* of her universal
> > popularity.
>
> > Some people find the mix of success and a good personality nauseating
> > -- they are intimidated; thus, they look to disparage the objects of
> > their discontent so that they can relate with them.
>
> Last night I saw the opera "Billy Budd" by Britten (based on the story
> by Herman Melville). Billy Budd is a seaman who is beloved by everyone
> on his ship and who essentially radiates goodness. The only person who
> dislikes him is the evil Master-of-Arms, who hates Budd for his
> goodness (and because he feels a homoerotic attraction toward Budd
> that he can't stand to face in himself) and vows to destroy him so he
> can return to his peaceful existence of untroubled meanness.

Yes.. I read the story a long time ago. It is indeed an apt
comparison.

09 May 2007 22:58:32
Fan

On May 9, 8:57 pm, kipps <k_par...@yahoo.com > wrote:
> On May 9, 9:11 am, Fan <Turnagain...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

> > > I think, more than anything else, Bodo finds her likeability and her
> > > "sweet attitude" nauseating. It's clear from the beginning that he
> > > dislikes her -- and I think it is *because* of her universal
> > > popularity.
>
> > > Some people find the mix of success and a good personality nauseating
> > > -- they are intimidated; thus, they look to disparage the objects of
> > > their discontent so that they can relate with them.
>
> > I think you have a point here. What makes the likes of Bodo resent
> > people like Kim is that she is superior without acting superior. A
> > great athlete with good family without any of the baggage some players
> > carry with them. She grew up in a privileged environment and seems to
> > be at ease with herself and with others. She is immensely popular with
> > the other players and that too can be a source of resentment for
> > inferiors. There was a time when I would read Bodo's columns but no
> > longer find them of particular interest or value.
>
> Bodo is a bozo and a zozo writer with zero tennis knowledge!

I like that! Bodo the bozo-zozo :-)

10 May 2007 16:47:31
Whisper

UC wrote:
>> Bodo is nothing, he is less than nothing, he is just a guy who gets
>> paid to write about tennis.
>

> Kim is a non-entity.

Only in a tennis sense.

10 May 2007 08:48:53
mimus

On Wed, 09 May 2007 18:49:21 -0400, pltrgyst wrote:

> On Wed, 09 May 2007 16:51:01 -0400, mimus <tinmimus99@hotmail.com> wrote:

>>> ...or more awkward construction. 8;)
>>
>>But very proper.
>
> Agreed. But that's a sterling example of why English is not a simple language to
> learn.

Once you've read Gibbon you're ready for anything.

--

Take a deep breath, take a walk, cool off, plot a bit, and serve again.

10 May 2007 07:14:10
UC

On May 10, 8:48 am, mimus <tinmimu...@hotmail.com > wrote:
> On Wed, 09 May 2007 18:49:21 -0400, pltrgyst wrote:

> >>But very proper.
>
> > Agreed. But that's a sterling example of why English is not a simple language to
> > learn.
>
> Once you've read Gibbon you're ready for anything.
>
> --
>
> Take a deep breath, take a walk, cool off, plot a bit, and serve again.

'Gib' was like, cool..