30 Jan 2005 18:01:56
mzgurl
SAFIN is the saviour of tennis!!!!!

Not only did he do the world a favor and dump the charisma-challenged
Snore Express out of the Australian Open but then he went on to beat
big mouth Hewitt right in front of his family and homecrowd. The
partisian Aussie crowd didnt know what hit them. Beautiful. welcome
back Marat.

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Russian adds roulette to men's game
By John McEnroe
30/01/2005

Tale of the Tape

At last we have a rivalry worthy of the name, thanks to Marat Safin's
defeat
of the world's finest tennis player, Roger Federer. And if Lleyton
Hewitt
can continue to carry the hopes of a nation in the way Britain's Tim
Henman
has tried so manfully to do all these years we might yet have another
name
to throw into the mix in men's tennis. The Australian Open's centenary
championships deserve a home success almost as much as Wimbledon does.

The big Russian, of course, is more than capable of spoiling
Australia's big
day, but the one thing you know with Hewitt is that he won't go down
without
a fight. He is the tougher of the two players mentally and as much as
Safin
would love to win this one I doubt whether he wants it as badly as
Hewitt.
That could be a factor.

Having gone for a Federer-Hewitt final before the tournament, I now
lean
towards Safin, but it's a close one. Don't forget the crowd has got to
be
worth a break a set. My suggestion to fans is flip a coin and enjoy the

spectacle: there's going to be a lot of blood and guts spilled.

The extra day's rest ought to be to Safin's advantage. It's possible
that
Hewitt's tortuous route to the final could tell on him, as it did on
Safin
this time last year against Federer. But the little guy from Adelaide
is
such a gutsy player, it's hard to imagine him running out of steam or
going
flat on his big day. He's come in for some criticism at this
championship
because of his behaviour on court and Sunday Telegraph readers surely
don't
expect me to join in the admonishment of the young man. Not
surprisingly, I
love it!

Listen, I'm the first to tell you how tough it is out there to keep
your
cool. As long as he doesn't start giving it the 'Come-ons' when an
opponent
double-faults or something, I see nothing wrong in it. At 5ft 11in, on
tiptoes, there is no way he can intimidate a guy who's 6ft 4in, so he
has to
find other ways of being in his face, figuratively speaking. He's like
little pitbull terrier who won't let go and if the other players don't
like
it, too bad. It's just his way of trash-talking or sledging, as the
Aussies
call it.

Hewitt is one of the most combative players tennis has seen for 10 or
20
years. It surprised me how quickly people dismissed him when his game
tailed
off a little a year or so ago. This is a guy who finished No 1 in the
world
two years in a row. He was never going to go away that easily. I
certainly
think he's got a better chance of winning this final than he would have
done
had he been up against Federer. He knows himself he hasn't matched up
well
against the Swiss in the past year, having lost to him in the Masters
Cup
final, the US Open final, a Wimbledon quarter-final and the fourth
round
here last year.

Safin is another story. Even before Thursday night's result he probably
had
more confidence in his ability to do well against Federer than any
other
player in the world. It's proved justified. That's not to say he's
going to
beat Federer regularly, but enough maybe to keep things interesting.
He's
bigger and stronger than Federer and overall probably has more weight
with
his shots. What he doesn't have is Federer's variety of shot, which is
where
the Swiss would hurt him, say, at Wimbledon. You might say most players

would there, but I don't accept that Safin doesn't have the game for
grass
and I know his coach, Peter Lundgren, doesn't. If David Nalbandian can
reach
a Wimbledon final, certainly Safin can and, anyway, he's already
reached a
quarter-final.

I think Safin will continue to give Federer problems on the slower
courts,
particularly clay. He needs surfaces which give him a little more time
execute his shots. It's to Federer's disadvantage that the next slam is
the
French, which is where he has been at his most vulnerable. Safin's win
against him will make a few players think they now have a chance too,
which
has to be good for the sport. The downside, from their point of view,
is
that it will act as a gee-up for Federer.

The semi-final against Safin could easily have gone his way. I think he
may
regret his decision to play that shot between his legs on his only
match
point. If you've got time to play a shot like that -and he had to have
it in
his mind a second before he did so - you've got time to throw up a
defensive
lob. That's not to say he would have won the point, it's just that that
kind
of shot is a low percentage one. It just shows that even the best can
make
bonehead mistakes. At least we now know that Federer is human.

I have no doubt he will bounce straight back from this defeat. My only
concern is that he might be playing a little too much. Either side of
the
Masters Cup he played the Thailand and Qatar Opens and needless to say,
on
each occasion, he went all the way through to the final and won, but it

meant he had played a lot of tennis coming into this Open.

I know from my own experience when I was No 1 in the world, the secret
of
staying on top is to ensure you don't play too much, keep fit and
healthy
and keep working.

American disappointment over the way Andy Roddick performed in his semi

against Hewitt - his tactics in the tiebreakers were not smart - was
eased
by Serena Williams's return to winning ways in the women's final.
That's got
to be good for the game.

While it would be better still if we had the two Belgian girls back in
the
mix as well, it's great news for tennis that we have two beautiful
girls
like Maria Sharapova and Williams going toe-to-toe. Let's put it this
way,
the women's game has definitely improved in the looks department since
I was
playing.

=A9 John McEnroe / The Sunday Telegraph.

Tale of the Tape
Lleyton Hewitt

Strengths
As well as possessing one of the best return of serves in the world,
Hewitt is an excellent mover. This allows him a lot of time to prepare
for
his ground strokes, which he hits without much spin. His shot selection
is
almost faultless and he has excellent passing shots and lobs. Add to
these
technical attributes a tenacious fighting spirit and willingness to die
on
the court and Hewitt is the complete counterattacking baseliner.

Weaknesses
Hewitt does not possess any big weapons and could be overpowered by
Safin. Fatigue could be a factor - the Australian has spent 17 hours
and 32
minutes on court - but there was no sign of it in his semi-final win
over
Andy Roddick, nor was his injured hip hampering his movement. His serve
used
to be a weakness but is vastly improved to the extent that is now an
asset.

Marat Safin

Strengths
Behind Roger Federer, Safin has the best A-game in the world: an
on-form Safin is capable of ****ing away all opponents bar the Swiss.
The
Russian can do this courtesy of his bludgeoning drives off both wings.
He
has a strong serve and return game, which is evidenced by his record
over
the fortnight of holding serve 90% of the time and breaking his
opponent an
average of once every three games. He will also benefit from having had
an
extra day's rest.

Weaknesses
The question about Safin has always been whether he is capable of
maintaining his form over five sets. Ironically, the relatively slow
court
surface that Hewitt has complained about will hurt Safin more than it
will
the home favourite, for the ball will sit up rather than skid through,
allowing Hewitt more time.

31 Jan 2005 16:56:59
ERNEST THE SHEEP
Re: SAFIN is the saviour of tennis!!!!!

mzgurl wrote:
> Not only did he do the world a favor and dump the charisma-challenged
> Snore Express out of the Australian Open but then he went on to beat
> big mouth Hewitt right in front of his family and homecrowd. The
> partisian Aussie crowd didnt know what hit them. Beautiful. welcome
> back Marat.

At least Hewitt didn't lose to a loud mouth obnoxious seppo. That would just
be too much to take!

Gawd I hate seppos soo much!

Their sheer arrogance is sickening.

31 Jan 2005 04:00:18
Ted of Ted's Tennis
Re: SAFIN is the saviour of tennis!!!!!

Somebody claiming to be "mzgurl" <mzgurl27@optonline.net > wrote in

> Not only did he do the world a favor and dump the charisma-challenged
> Snore Express out of the Australian Open

I'm confused. Roddick is the snore express. Ace after ace after ace is
*boring*. :-)

--
Ted Schuerzinger
http://tedstennis.tripod.com/index.html

31 Jan 2005 06:17:03
Trellek

"ERNEST THE SHEEP" <Ernest_the_Sheep@hotmail.com > wrote in message
> mzgurl wrote:
>> Not only did he do the world a favor and dump the charisma-challenged
>> Snore Express out of the Australian Open but then he went on to beat
>> big mouth Hewitt right in front of his family and homecrowd. The
>> partisian Aussie crowd didnt know what hit them. Beautiful. welcome
>> back Marat.
>
> At least Hewitt didn't lose to a loud mouth obnoxious seppo. That would
> just be too much to take!
>
> Gawd I hate seppos soo much!
>
> Their sheer arrogance is sickening.

You're obsessed. And wrong too. You want arrogance look at Hewitt. Roddick
is as modest as they come.

31 Jan 2005 08:58:35
Tiger
Re: SAFIN is the saviour of tennis!!!!!

he's a cheater..
faking injury

=====

[...]

31 Jan 2005 02:52:14
Invisible
Re: SAFIN is the saviour of tennis!!!!!

Federer the 'snore express'? Now thats harsh...the guy may not be an
extrovert but his flambuoyant tennis style (Rock n Roll tennis I heard
one commentator call it!) is pure class, and he's not the
personality-bypass that Pete Sampras was.

Safin though is great for the game, witty, charismatic, multi-lingual,
bit of a ladies' man, explosive temper, tendency to self-destruct,
violent mood swings and slapstick humour, all in equal measure.

Mens' tennis should be in a healthy state at the moment - we've got the
genius of Federer, charisma of Safin, the love-to-hate character and
never say die quality of Hewitt, the great American hope of Roddick
(although his stock appears to be falling a bit at moment), Agassi
stubbonly resisting the new generation, plus a couple of Wunderkids on
the way.

31 Jan 2005 13:24:08
Michael Rosen
Re: SAFIN is the saviour of tennis!!!!!

What you call charisma-challenged, I call classy. So it's all in the eye of
the beholder.
[...]

31 Jan 2005 13:30:18
Michael Rosen
Re: SAFIN is the saviour of tennis!!!!!

"ERNEST THE SHEEP" <Ernest_the_Sheep@hotmail.com > wrote in message
> mzgurl wrote:
>> Not only did he do the world a favor and dump the charisma-challenged
>> Snore Express out of the Australian Open but then he went on to beat
>> big mouth Hewitt right in front of his family and homecrowd. The
>> partisian Aussie crowd didnt know what hit them. Beautiful. welcome
>> back Marat.
>
> At least Hewitt didn't lose to a loud mouth obnoxious seppo. That would
> just be too much to take!
>
> Gawd I hate seppos soo much!
>
> Their sheer arrogance is sickening.

What's a seppo?

31 Jan 2005 13:31:30
Michael Rosen

"Ted of Ted's Tennis" <tedstennis@myrealbox.com > wrote in message
> Somebody claiming to be "mzgurl" <mzgurl27@optonline.net> wrote in
>
>> Not only did he do the world a favor and dump the charisma-challenged
>> Snore Express out of the Australian Open
>
> I'm confused. Roddick is the snore express. Ace after ace after ace is
> *boring*. :-)

I agree. That's why I usually found Sampras's matches boring, too. The
ideal match to me is between two players WITHOUT a big serve.

31 Jan 2005 13:33:22
Michael Rosen
Re: SAFIN is the saviour of tennis!!!!!

> Safin though is great for the game, witty, charismatic, multi-lingual,
> bit of a ladies' man, explosive temper, tendency to self-destruct,
> violent mood swings and slapstick humour, all in equal measure.

Sounds to me like you're in love