31 Jul 2004 18:13:01
scruncher
Quiz: What's wrong with Federer?

He's playing a terrible match against Joahnsson, struggled against
Santoro. He's even throwing racquets!

So, what's wrong?

a) Too much pressure because he wants revenge on Roddick for last year's
loss.
b) Injury, ie little finger, bothering him
c) This going-it-alone is starting to get to him
d) Can't play every day
e) _____________ (fill in the blank)

31 Jul 2004 14:29:54
Michael Lockhart
Re: What's wrong with Federer?

"scruncher" <scruncher@att.net > wrote in message
> He's playing a terrible match against Joahnsson, struggled against
> Santoro. He's even throwing racquets!
>
> So, what's wrong?
>
> a) Too much pressure because he wants revenge on Roddick for last year's
> loss.
> b) Injury, ie little finger, bothering him
> c) This going-it-alone is starting to get to him
> d) Can't play every day
> e) _____________ (fill in the blank)

Are you kidding? He just tied it 4-6 6-3. He's serving at 61% for the
match, winning 75% of his first serves. He's had 6 aces and *0*
double-faults. Those stats are actually *lower* than his first set stats,
despite his loss of that set. Looks like he's playing just fine. Not only
that, even if he were playing terribly, he has a tremendous winning streak,
including Wimbledon. Losing after 21 wins in a row is *never* an
appropriate time for "what's wrong?"

Michael

31 Jul 2004 18:41:30
scruncher
Re: What's wrong with Federer?

Michael Lockhart wrote:
> Are you kidding? He just tied it 4-6 6-3. He's serving at 61% for the
> match, winning 75% of his first serves. He's had 6 aces and *0*
> double-faults. Those stats are actually *lower* than his first set stats,
> despite his loss of that set. Looks like he's playing just fine. Not only
> that, even if he were playing terribly, he has a tremendous winning streak,
> including Wimbledon. Losing after 21 wins in a row is *never* an
> appropriate time for "what's wrong?"
>
> Michael

Down boy.

31 Jul 2004 19:12:35
Erich
Re: What's wrong with Federer?

> > He's playing a terrible match against Joahnsson, struggled against
> > Santoro. He's even throwing racquets!
> >
> > So, what's wrong?
> >
> > a) Too much pressure because he wants revenge on Roddick for last year's
> > loss.
> > b) Injury, ie little finger, bothering him
> > c) This going-it-alone is starting to get to him
> > d) Can't play every day
> > e) _____________ (fill in the blank)
>
> Are you kidding? He just tied it 4-6 6-3. He's serving at 61% for the
> match, winning 75% of his first serves. He's had 6 aces and *0*
> double-faults. Those stats are actually *lower* than his first set stats,
> despite his loss of that set. Looks like he's playing just fine. Not
only
> that, even if he were playing terribly, he has a tremendous winning
streak,
> including Wimbledon. Losing after 21 wins in a row is *never* an
> appropriate time for "what's wrong?"

It certainly wasn't vintage Federer, but as usual 60-70% is enough against
most people. He hasn't looked real sharp all week, and he will need to
improve a lot if he plays Roddick in the final, but I think he will feel
relieved having gotten there, so maybe he can just let it all hang out
tomorrow.

31 Jul 2004 20:07:04
big benz
Re: Quiz: What's wrong with Federer?

scruncher wrote:

> He's playing a terrible match against Joahnsson, struggled against
> Santoro. He's even throwing racquets!
>
> So, what's wrong?
>
> a) Too much pressure because he wants revenge on Roddick for last year's
> loss.
> b) Injury, ie little finger, bothering him
> c) This going-it-alone is starting to get to him
> d) Can't play every day
> e) _____________ (fill in the blank)

it's the end of the month. federer has excessive amounts of
x-chromosome juice - that's why he looks like a girl - at the end of
the month his hormones get all messed up and he can't think straight.

31 Jul 2004 15:11:09
StephenJ
Re: What's wrong with Federer?

> He's playing a terrible match against Joahnsson, struggled against Santoro

It's a meaningless tuneup. Tell me about it if he loses to either guy at the
USO.

31 Jul 2004 20:29:00
scruncher
Re: What's wrong with Federer?

StephenJ wrote:
>>He's playing a terrible match against Joahnsson, struggled against Santoro
>

> It's a meaningless tuneup. Tell me about it if he loses to either guy at the
> USO.

Whisper, is that you?

31 Jul 2004 20:30:32
Eric Patton
Re: What's wrong with Federer?

> It's a meaningless tuneup. Tell me about it if he loses to either guy at the
> USO.

Yup. If Federer were playing lights out right now, *that* would be the
cause for worry. Peaking too soon before a grand slam is much worse
than "struggling" a month before it. And, oh by the way, Federer did
*win* the match again Johansson -- and looked decent in the third set
doing it.

31 Jul 2004 13:40:37
Hops
Re: What's wrong with Federer?

"Eric Patton" <ebpatton@xyahoo.com > wrote in message
> > It's a meaningless tuneup. Tell me about it if he loses to either guy at
the
> > USO.
>

> Yup. If Federer were playing lights out right now, *that* would be the
> cause for worry. Peaking too soon before a grand slam is much worse
> than "struggling" a month before it.

Didn't seem to hurt Roddick last year, this 'peaking too early'.

31 Jul 2004 20:46:11
Eric Patton
Re: What's wrong with Federer?

WYW

> Didn't seem to hurt Roddick last year, this 'peaking too early'.

YM

"Federer beat Johansson."

HTH

31 Jul 2004 15:29:51
David Henry
Re: What's wrong with Federer?

"scruncher" <scruncher@att.net > wrote in message
> He's playing a terrible match against Joahnsson, struggled against
> Santoro. He's even throwing racquets!
>
> So, what's wrong?
>
> a) Too much pressure because he wants revenge on Roddick for last year's
> loss.
> b) Injury, ie little finger, bothering him
> c) This going-it-alone is starting to get to him
> d) Can't play every day
> e) _____________ (fill in the blank)

Federer is a little off. Considering the blazing year he's had, he's
entitled to a letdown here and there.

Shame Hewitt couldn't have snuck by Santoro. I think he would have won.

Dave

31 Jul 2004 16:16:01
Gordon Cameron
Re: What's wrong with Federer?

scruncher <scruncher@att.net > wrote in message news:<uJROc.159301$OB3.94799@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>...
> Michael Lockhart wrote:
> > Are you kidding? He just tied it 4-6 6-3. He's serving at 61% for the
> > match, winning 75% of his first serves. He's had 6 aces and *0*
> > double-faults. Those stats are actually *lower* than his first set stats,
> > despite his loss of that set. Looks like he's playing just fine. Not only
> > that, even if he were playing terribly, he has a tremendous winning streak,
> > including Wimbledon. Losing after 21 wins in a row is *never* an
> > appropriate time for "what's wrong?"
> >
> > Michael
>
> Down boy.

I think Federer should retire, he's clearly finished.

01 Aug 2004 10:37:46
vinb
Re: What's wrong with Federer?

> Federer is a little off. Considering the blazing year he's had, he's
> entitled to a letdown here and there.

If Hewitt struggled against Santoro, he would not have beaten Federer even
in this form

01 Aug 2004 10:38:39
vinb
Re: What's wrong with Federer?

> He's playing a terrible match against Joahnsson, struggled against
> Santoro. He's even throwing racquets!
>
> So, what's wrong?

Nothing wrong, he is on a 22 match winning streak, he has had a flat week
which is no surprise, what is impressive is that he has still made the
final.

01 Aug 2004 10:57:58
SV
Re: What's wrong with Federer?

"David Henry" <telemachus7@msn.com > wrote in message
> "scruncher" <scruncher@att.net> wrote in message
> > He's playing a terrible match against Joahnsson, struggled against
> > Santoro. He's even throwing racquets!
> >
> > So, what's wrong?
> >
> > a) Too much pressure because he wants revenge on Roddick for last year's
> > loss.
> > b) Injury, ie little finger, bothering him
> > c) This going-it-alone is starting to get to him
> > d) Can't play every day
> > e) _____________ (fill in the blank)
>

> Federer is a little off. Considering the blazing year he's had, he's
> entitled to a letdown here and there.
>
> Shame Hewitt couldn't have snuck by Santoro. I think he would have won.

Ever the optimist... ;-) Though Whisper might prefer to call you
clueless...

01 Aug 2004 19:18:15
Whisper
Re: What's wrong with Federer?

scruncher wrote:

> StephenJ wrote:
>
>>> He's playing a terrible match against Joahnsson, struggled against
>>> Santoro
>>

>> It's a meaningless tuneup. Tell me about it if he loses to either guy
>> at the
>> USO.
>>

> Whisper, is that you?

Get fucked.

01 Aug 2004 19:32:08
Whisper
Re: What's wrong with Federer?

Hops wrote:

> "Eric Patton" <ebpatton@xyahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>>It's a meaningless tuneup. Tell me about it if he loses to either guy at
>
> the
>
>>>USO.
>>

>>Yup. If Federer were playing lights out right now, *that* would be the
>>cause for worry. Peaking too soon before a grand slam is much worse
>>than "struggling" a month before it.
>

> Didn't seem to hurt Roddick last year, this 'peaking too early'.

It did - he was down MP to Nalbandaid, a guy he waxed a couple of weeks
earlier in Canadian final 6-1 6-3....

01 Aug 2004 11:56:16
Roger That
Re: Quiz: What's wrong with Federer?

Le Sat, 31 Jul 2004 20:07:04 +0000, big benz s'est écrié:

> it's the end of the month. federer has excessive amounts of x-chromosome
> juice - that's why he looks like a girl - at the end of the month his
> hormones get all messed up and he can't think straight.

Beeeep ! You forgot to begin your sentences by "big benz thinks that" or
"big benz knows that".

01 Aug 2004 19:55:54
Whisper
Re: What's wrong with Federer?

vinb wrote:

>>Federer is a little off. Considering the blazing year he's had, he's
>>entitled to a letdown here and there.
>

> If Hewitt struggled against Santoro, he would not have beaten Federer even
> in this form

No, Fed woulda got more pumped v Hewitt - still a few scores to
settle... : )

01 Aug 2004 19:56:29
Whisper
Re: What's wrong with Federer?

vinb wrote:

>>He's playing a terrible match against Joahnsson, struggled against
>>Santoro. He's even throwing racquets!
>>
>>So, what's wrong?
>

> Nothing wrong, he is on a 22 match winning streak, he has had a flat week
> which is no surprise, what is impressive is that he has still made the
> final.

Johansson is a class HC'er...

01 Aug 2004 05:05:03
David Henry
Re: What's wrong with Federer?

"Whisper" <beaver999@tpg.com.au > wrote in message
> vinb wrote:
>
> >>Federer is a little off. Considering the blazing year he's had, he's
> >>entitled to a letdown here and there.
> >

> > If Hewitt struggled against Santoro, he would not have beaten Federer
even
> > in this form
> >

> No, Fed woulda got more pumped v Hewitt - still a few scores to
> settle... : )

Like Davis Cup? Australian probably would have won the tie anyway, but that
had to be a hard loss for Federer. No wonder he's gotten three bagels off
Hewitt this year.

Dave

01 Aug 2004 21:25:02
Whisper
Re: What's wrong with Federer?

David Henry wrote:

>>No, Fed woulda got more pumped v Hewitt - still a few scores to
>>settle... : )
>

> Like Davis Cup? Australian probably would have won the tie anyway, but that
> had to be a hard loss for Federer. No wonder he's gotten three bagels off
> Hewitt this year.
>
> Dave

Yes, I actually predicted Fed to win that match 7-5 6-2 6-4 in rst. I
looked good when Fed served for the match up 7-5 6-2 5-4 30-30. Hewitt
got a close call in his favour which woulda given Fed MP, & the rest is
history.... : )

01 Aug 2004 14:11:16

> David Henry wrote:
> >>
> >>No, Fed woulda got more pumped v Hewitt - still a few scores to
> >>settle... : )
> >

> > Like Davis Cup? Australian probably would have won the tie anyway, but
that
> > had to be a hard loss for Federer. No wonder he's gotten three bagels
off
> > Hewitt this year.
> >
> > Dave
>

> Yes, I actually predicted Fed to win that match 7-5 6-2 6-4 in rst. I
> looked good when Fed served for the match up 7-5 6-2 5-4 30-30. Hewitt
> got a close call in his favour which woulda given Fed MP, & the rest is
> history.... : )

It's funny that during Hewitt's match with Santoro, P Mac said that win over
Federer was the most important of his life. It was a great comeback -- maybe
one of the best in DC history -- but I'm not so sure.

The Ferrero match in the final probably had greater importance as it got
Australia off to a 1-0 start.

Dave

02 Aug 2004 01:02:15
Jesper Lauridsen
Re: What's wrong with Federer?

On 2004-07-31, Michael Lockhart <ml1000@bellsouth.net > wrote:

> Are you kidding? He just tied it 4-6 6-3. He's serving at 61% for the
> match, winning 75% of his first serves. He's had 6 aces and *0*
> double-faults. Those stats are actually *lower* than his first set stats,
> despite his loss of that set.

[Federer - Johansson]

The second set stats are actually a considerable improvement for Federer.
I just wrote a program to simulate the result of a tennis match, based on
first serve %, first serve winning % and second serve winning %, for the
two players. When I input the first set stats, Fed wins 51% of the matches.
When using the second half stats, Fed is winning 87% of the matches, mostly
in straight sets. The key change is in second serve winning %, with Fed
going from 50% to 69%, and Johansson going 71%- >57%.

As to why I have written such a program; I thought it would be a "fun"
way to look at match stats.

02 Aug 2004 19:57:23
Whisper
Re: What's wrong with Federer?

David Henry wrote:

> "Whisper" <beaver999@tpg.com.au> wrote in message

>>>Like Davis Cup? Australian probably would have won the tie anyway, but
>
> that
>
>>>had to be a hard loss for Federer. No wonder he's gotten three bagels
>
> off
>
>>>Hewitt this year.
>>>
>>>Dave
>>

>>Yes, I actually predicted Fed to win that match 7-5 6-2 6-4 in rst. I
>>looked good when Fed served for the match up 7-5 6-2 5-4 30-30. Hewitt
>>got a close call in his favour which woulda given Fed MP, & the rest is
>>history.... : )
>

> It's funny that during Hewitt's match with Santoro, P Mac said that win over
> Federer was the most important of his life. It was a great comeback -- maybe
> one of the best in DC history -- but I'm not so sure.
>
> The Ferrero match in the final probably had greater importance as it got
> Australia off to a 1-0 start.
>
> Dave

Hewitt was impressive in that he never gave up - he's a freak in that
regard...