31 Jan 2004 23:28:49
Peter Brandt Nielsen
International commentators

Which tennis celebrities do commentary for televised tennis in
your country? Through this group we all know some of the people
featured on American and Australian television, but maybe there
are other interesting facts from other countries as well.

Here in Denmark the Eurosport signal comes with local commentary
by currently three commentators: Søren Højberg, former tennis
champ, Davis Cup and grand slam contender, still active as a
senior player and in organizational work; Lone Vandborg, Danish
Fed Cup captain, former doubles player; Michael Mortensen,
Copenhagen club coach and former pro player, interestingly played
longest-ever tie-break in a doubles match at Wimbledon in 1985 (50
points). Kurt Nielsen, former tennis champ, Wimbledon singles
finalist, one of Denmark's best Davis Cup players, has also
participated as a commentator previously, but apparently not at
this Australian Open.

Danish public broadcaster TV2 usually does Wimbledon in the
summer; the only tennis personality I can remember the name of
from their coverage is Michael Tauson, Danish Davis Cup captain
and former pro player.

--
Peter Brandt Nielsen
http://brandtnielsen.adr.dk

01 Feb 2004 10:13:28
gp calliauw
Re: International commentators

As far as I can tell, the Dutch spoken Eurosport has no real
celebrity commentators. I don't think they're particularly good
either. Their main quality is that they don't talk too much. They
can let two or three points go without saying a word. I also tune in
to the English commentary (Simon Reed, Chris Bradnam, Sam Smith and
others..). They operate in pairs and are more talkative; they also
seem to feel that they have to be witty and snappy. Not always a
bonus.
The Belgian public broadcast (Dutch spoken) sometimes has "expert"
co-commentators such as Carl Maes (former Clijsters coach), Steven
Martens (Fed Cup Captain) and Sabine Appelmans (but only at RG and
W).

> Which tennis celebrities do commentary for televised tennis in
> your country? Through this group we all know some of the people
> featured on American and Australian television, but maybe there
> are other interesting facts from other countries as well.

01 Feb 2004 12:54:50
Peter Brandt Nielsen

gp calliauw wrote:
> As far as I can tell, the Dutch spoken Eurosport has no real
> celebrity commentators. I don't think they're particularly good
> either. Their main quality is that they don't talk too much.
> They can let two or three points go without saying a word.

I know that quality well and sometimes request it from the
commentators I am listening to.

> also tune in to the English commentary (Simon Reed, Chris
> Bradnam, Sam Smith and others..). They operate in pairs and are
> more talkative; they also seem to feel that they have to be
> witty and snappy. Not always a bonus.

A few years ago I watched the English feed as well, and loved it.
The team of Simon Reed and Frew MacMillan helped spark my interest
in following tennis. I don't currently get the English commentator
feed, I'm afraid.

I am not exactly crazy about the Danish Eurosport team, but
Højberg and Nielsen, individually or as a pair, are knowledgable
and ultimately tolerable as commentators.

--
Peter Brandt Nielsen
http://brandtnielsen.adr.dk