30 Jun 2004 14:23:36
StephenJ
Hewitt-Fed serve speed...

Fed's serve averaged 120/99, Hewitt's averaged 115/96.

Both guys won essentially the same % of their second serve points (57% and
59%). But Fed won 71% of his first-serve points, compared to 58% to Hewitt.

Quantitatively, there's only 5 mph difference between a 120 mph serve and a
115 mph serve, but qualitatively the former is a "big" serve and the latter
is not. Thus, Fed earned many more "free" points on his first serve,
out-acing Hewitt 19 times to 4. Fed also never double faulted, while Hewitt
did 7 times.

Together, Fed won 22 more points purely off the serve (aces and double
faults) than Hewitt. Fed won 19 total more points than Hewitt did in the
match.

Serving strikes again...

--
The banking industry is an infinity of successive
felonious larcenies

- Thomas Jefferson

01 Jul 2004 05:35:32
John
Re: Hewitt-Fed serve speed...

Speed is only one of many factors in good effective serve, Roger has a lot
more
variety on his serve to make it much bigger weapon than Hewitts. He served
some
huge kicker to both Hewitt's forehand and backhand, he used the wide serve
very
well and some of the angles his got on the serve is just unbelievable.
Overall his
service variety just kept Hewitt guessing on his returns. Hewitt did not
serve
very well, he does not have much margin of error on his second serve which
resulted
in committing double faults to hand a break and then the match to Fed. You
can
always tell from this match Hewitt can compete with Fed in a short spell of
time when
Fed is not in top gear and Hewitt simply can't keep his level of play for
long enough
time to trouble Fed.

"StephenJ" <SJirt@sestSJJj.ttcom > wrote in message
> Fed's serve averaged 120/99, Hewitt's averaged 115/96.
>
> Both guys won essentially the same % of their second serve points (57% and
> 59%). But Fed won 71% of his first-serve points, compared to 58% to
Hewitt.

> Quantitatively, there's only 5 mph difference between a 120 mph serve and
> 115 mph serve, but qualitatively the former is a "big" serve and the
latter
> is not. Thus, Fed earned many more "free" points on his first serve,
> out-acing Hewitt 19 times to 4. Fed also never double faulted, while
Hewitt
> did 7 times.
>
> Together, Fed won 22 more points purely off the serve (aces and double
> faults) than Hewitt. Fed won 19 total more points than Hewitt did in the
> match.
>
> Serving strikes again...
>

> --
> The banking industry is an infinity of successive
> felonious larcenies
>
> - Thomas Jefferson

01 Jul 2004 05:41:26
Vinb
Re: Hewitt-Fed serve speed...

> Quantitatively, there's only 5 mph difference between a 120 mph serve and
> 115 mph serve, but qualitatively the former is a "big" serve and the
latter
> is not. Thus, Fed earned many more "free" points on his first serve,
> out-acing Hewitt 19 times to 4.

Read what the players say will you? It makes it pretty obvious that it is
not the pace that makes Federer's serve difficult but his placement, variety
and what he backs it up with.

30 Jun 2004 21:48:41
Quake
Re: Hewitt-Fed serve speed...

StephenJ wrote:

> Serving strikes again...

You should have post all this meaningful statistics about serve speed after
last year's final

30 Jun 2004 21:53:28
Re: Hewitt-Fed serve speed...

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 14:23:36 -0500, "StephenJ" <SJirt@sestSJJj.ttcom >
wrote:

>Fed's serve averaged 120/99, Hewitt's averaged 115/96.
>
>Both guys won essentially the same % of their second serve points (57% and
>59%). But Fed won 71% of his first-serve points, compared to 58% to Hewitt.
>
>Quantitatively, there's only 5 mph difference between a 120 mph serve and a
>115 mph serve, but qualitatively the former is a "big" serve and the latter
>is not. Thus, Fed earned many more "free" points on his first serve,
>out-acing Hewitt 19 times to 4. Fed also never double faulted, while Hewitt
>did 7 times.
>
>Together, Fed won 22 more points purely off the serve (aces and double
>faults) than Hewitt. Fed won 19 total more points than Hewitt did in the
>match.
>
>Serving strikes again...

And what is your point?

That it's better to have a good serve than bad?

30 Jun 2004 18:30:07
StephenJ
Re: Hewitt-Fed serve speed...

> Speed is only one of many factors in good effective serve

Of course. But Hewitt did a nice job of mixing up his serve placement as
well.

--
The banking industry is an infinity of successive
felonious larcenies

- Thomas Jefferson

30 Jun 2004 18:31:05
StephenJ
Re: Hewitt-Fed serve speed...

> And what is your point?
>
> That it's better to have a good serve than bad?

Pretty much. I know - it's surprising that something so elementary has to be
emphasized on rst, but it does.

--
The banking industry is an infinity of successive
felonious larcenies

- Thomas Jefferson

01 Jul 2004 11:41:37
John
Re: Hewitt-Fed serve speed...

> > Speed is only one of many factors in good effective serve
>
> Of course. But Hewitt did a nice job of mixing up his serve placement as
> well.

Hewitt basically lack a bit of variety in his serving, he usually just spin
his 2nd
serve into play and there is not much on that second serve and that is
becoming
a big problem for Hewitt because he is only getting less than 40% of first
serve
in.

> --
> The banking industry is an infinity of successive
> felonious larcenies
>
> - Thomas Jefferson

01 Jul 2004 16:54:08
Whisper
Re: Hewitt-Fed serve speed...

> > And what is your point?
> >
> > That it's better to have a good serve than bad?
>
> Pretty much. I know - it's surprising that something so elementary has to
be
> emphasized on rst, but it does.

So why don't you emphasize it's better to have a good volley than bad
volley....?

01 Jul 2004 12:15:18
Yama
Re: Hewitt-Fed serve speed...

"Whisper" <itchybeaver99@tpg.com.au > wrote in message
> "StephenJ" <SJirt@sestSJJj.ttcom> wrote in message
> > Pretty much. I know - it's surprising that something so elementary has
> be
> > emphasized on rst, but it does.
>
> So why don't you emphasize it's better to have a good volley than bad
> volley....?

I've got this revolutionary idea that good court coverage is advantageous in
winning matches. Or is that too radical thinking?

01 Jul 2004 21:07:33
Whisper
Re: Hewitt-Fed serve speed...

"Yama" <yama212@SPAMyahoo.co.uk > wrote in message

> "Whisper" <itchybeaver99@tpg.com.au> wrote in message
> > "StephenJ" <SJirt@sestSJJj.ttcom> wrote in message
> > > Pretty much. I know - it's surprising that something so elementary has
> > be
> > > emphasized on rst, but it does.
> >
> > So why don't you emphasize it's better to have a good volley than bad
> > volley....?
>
> I've got this revolutionary idea that good court coverage is advantageous
in
> winning matches. Or is that too radical thinking?

Good court coverage is better than bad court coverage, as Jaros would
conclude. I'm disappointed with the quality of analysis in here lately.....
has everyone got the flu or something....?

01 Jul 2004 07:20:58
StephenJ
Re: Hewitt-Fed serve speed...

> So why don't you emphasize it's better to have a good volley than bad
> volley....?

Doesn't appear to be a problem on rst right now. If some start to question
it, then...