27 Nov 2004 05:47:17
David Henry
Federeration Cup Finals spoiler

Dechy d. Kuznetsova 36 76 86

Hmmm.... the plot thickens....!

Dave

27 Nov 2004 07:59:43
Marius Hancu
Re: Federeration Cup Finals spoiler

David Henry wrote:

> Dechy d. Kuznetsova 36 76 86
>
> Hmmm.... the plot thickens....!

Great result for Dechy, especially in Moscow. And coming back after a
1st set ...

Marius Hancu

27 Nov 2004 11:10:12
Hops

"David Henry" <telemachus7@msn.com > wrote in message
> Dechy d. Kuznetsova 36 76 86
>
> Hmmm.... the plot thickens....!

Is the thread title from a worn-out Hewitt fan haunted by Roger everywhere
he turns? : )

28 Nov 2004 08:11:53

David Henry wrote:

> Dechy d. Kuznetsova 36 76 86
>
> Hmmm.... the plot thickens....!

How about this:

Golovin d. Kuznetsova 64 61
K the one to beat this week:-))

Now it's all to the doubles. Should be great atmosphere there!

Marius Hancu

28 Nov 2004 17:44:52
Pigimax
Re: Federeration Cup Finals spoiler

Myskina/Zvonareva d. Bartoli/Loit 7-6 7-5

Congratulations to Nastya, who won all her matches. France, without
Mauresmo and Pierce, did much better than I expected. Kuznetsova is
starting to show why a top player shouldn't enter tournaments week in
week out.

28 Nov 2004 11:04:51
Robert B. Waltz

Pigimax <pigimax2003@libero.it > wrote:

> Myskina/Zvonareva d. Bartoli/Loit 7-6 7-5
>
> Congratulations to Nastya, who won all her matches. France, without
> Mauresmo and Pierce, did much better than I expected. Kuznetsova is
> starting to show why a top player shouldn't enter tournaments week in
> week out.

Possibly, although that criticism applies to Zvonareva also. :-)

But I think it's Russian Disease (i.e. nerves). Would
Kuznetsova have won the U. S. Open against someone other
than Dementieva? Doubtful, I think....

But it's worth noting: Does Russia really want to dump
Myskina in order to get Sharapova? Doesn't look very smart
from here....

--
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data."
-- unknown (at least to me)

28 Nov 2004 18:29:03
Pigimax

Robert B. Waltz ha scritto:

>>Myskina/Zvonareva d. Bartoli/Loit 7-6 7-5
>>
>>Congratulations to Nastya, who won all her matches. France, without
>>Mauresmo and Pierce, did much better than I expected. Kuznetsova is
>>starting to show why a top player shouldn't enter tournaments week in
>>week out.
>

> Possibly, although that criticism applies to Zvonareva also. :-)

I'm not comfortable yet with considering Zvonareva a top player, I think
she's a bit overranked :)

> But I think it's Russian Disease (i.e. nerves). Would
> Kuznetsova have won the U. S. Open against someone other
> than Dementieva? Doubtful, I think....
>
> But it's worth noting: Does Russia really want to dump
> Myskina in order to get Sharapova? Doesn't look very smart
> from here....

They could let Sharapova in and dump Sharapov :) Seriously, Sharapova
tends to choke less than the average Russian, but I would stick with
Dementieva, or Petrova. Talking about Maria, an Italian website has
reported Brazilian player Alves saying that she thinks Sharapova is at
least 21. Something similar had been said about Golovin too. Has anybody
heard of it?

28 Nov 2004 12:09:08
Robert B. Waltz
Re: Federeration Cup Finals spoiler

Pigimax <pigimax2003@libero.it > wrote:

> Robert B. Waltz ha scritto:
>
> >>Myskina/Zvonareva d. Bartoli/Loit 7-6 7-5
> >>
> >>Congratulations to Nastya, who won all her matches. France, without
> >>Mauresmo and Pierce, did much better than I expected. Kuznetsova is
> >>starting to show why a top player shouldn't enter tournaments week in
> >>week out.
> >

> > Possibly, although that criticism applies to Zvonareva also. :-)
>
> I'm not comfortable yet with considering Zvonareva a top player, I think
> she's a bit overranked :)

Fair enough, but she plays as many matches as a top player. :-)

[ ... ]

> > But it's worth noting: Does Russia really want to dump
> > Myskina in order to get Sharapova? Doesn't look very smart
> > from here....
>
> They could let Sharapova in and dump Sharapov :)

They could try. But that probably requires some cooperation
from Maria. :-)

> Seriously, Sharapova
> tends to choke less than the average Russian, but I would stick with
> Dementieva, or Petrova.

Almost anyone alive chokes less than the average Russian. :-)
A lot depends on the surface. Myskina, of course, plays on any
surface. On grass, I'd go with Sharapova as #2. Carpet, I'd go
with Petrova, though Sharapova is another possibility. Clay,
Dementieva. Hardcourt -- probably Dementieva again.

> Talking about Maria, an Italian website has
> reported Brazilian player Alves saying that she thinks Sharapova is at
> least 21. Something similar had been said about Golovin too. Has anybody
> heard of it?

I haven't. I don't think it's true, though; Sharapova looks older
now than a year and a half ago, and that's much more likely for
a girl of 17 than a woman of 21. Though it might be makeup....

Golovin I don't know about.

--
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data."
-- unknown (at least to me)

28 Nov 2004 23:49:43
Sakari Lund
Re: Federeration Cup Finals spoiler

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 11:10:12 -0800, "Hops"
<kev8128nossssspam@yahoo.com > wrote:

>"David Henry" <telemachus7@msn.com> wrote in message
>> Dechy d. Kuznetsova 36 76 86
>>
>> Hmmm.... the plot thickens....!
>

>Is the thread title from a worn-out Hewitt fan haunted by Roger everywhere
>he turns? : )

BTW, the official name of the competition has been for about ten years
already "Fed Cup".

28 Nov 2004 23:54:56
Sakari Lund
Re: Federeration Cup Finals spoiler

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 08:11:53 -0500, Marius Hancu <NOSPAM@videotron.ca >
wrote:

>David Henry wrote:
>
>> Dechy d. Kuznetsova 36 76 86
>>
>> Hmmm.... the plot thickens....!
>
>How about this:
>
>Golovin d. Kuznetsova 64 61
>K the one to beat this week:-))

Kuznetsova was very disappointing already at YEC, and these results
are truly lousy for her. The Russians somehow almost managed to lose
it.

29 Nov 2004 02:18:34
Ted of Ted's Tennis
Re: Federeration Cup Finals spoiler

Somebody claiming to be Sakari Lund <sakari.lund@welho.com > wrote in

> Kuznetsova was very disappointing already at YEC, and these results
> are truly lousy for her. The Russians somehow almost managed to lose
> it.

That's because Mauresmo wasn't there to choke for the French team. :-)

--
Ted Schuerzinger
http://tedstennis.tripod.com/index.html

29 Nov 2004 03:57:19
Javier Gonzalez
Re: Federeration Cup Finals spoiler

Pigimax <pigimax2003@libero.it > wrote:
> Dementieva, or Petrova. Talking about Maria, an Italian website has
> reported Brazilian player Alves saying that she thinks Sharapova is at
> least 21. Something similar had been said about Golovin too. Has anybody
> heard of it?

Hmmm, like the african soccer players?

Some years ago people started wondering why the african teams where dominating
the under-17 soccer championships... turns out a sizable portion of players
where "registered" like four years after their birth, resulting in "hulking"
"17-year-olds" that where 21.

--
Javier Gonzalez Nicolini
Ingeniero Civil en Computacion - Universidad de Chile

29 Nov 2004 00:28:46
David Henry

"Hops" <kev8128nossssspam@yahoo.com > wrote in message

> "David Henry" <telemachus7@msn.com> wrote in message
>> Dechy d. Kuznetsova 36 76 86
>>
>> Hmmm.... the plot thickens....!
>

> Is the thread title from a worn-out Hewitt fan haunted by Roger everywhere
> he turns? : )

Great catch! LOL! I didn't even notice that.

Federer is a big thorn in Hewitt's side, huh? ; >

Dave

29 Nov 2004 12:57:38
Luke Croll
Re: Federeration Cup Finals spoiler

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 17:44:52 +0100, Pigimax <pigimax2003@libero.it >
wrote:

>Myskina/Zvonareva d. Bartoli/Loit 7-6 7-5
>
>Congratulations to Nastya, who won all her matches. France, without
>Mauresmo and Pierce, did much better than I expected. Kuznetsova is
>starting to show why a top player shouldn't enter tournaments week in
>week out.

I was expecting it to be a 5-0 whitewash, so great results for France.
They could have won the doubles as well. I was very surprised to see
Kuznetsova lose both rubbers, but particularly the one to Dechy.
Choking.
--
Luke Croll
The alt.books.dean-koontz FAQ is at:

29 Nov 2004 08:29:47
Robert B. Waltz

Javier Gonzalez <jagonzal@dcc.uchile.cl > wrote:

> Pigimax <pigimax2003@libero.it> wrote:
> > Dementieva, or Petrova. Talking about Maria, an Italian website has
> > reported Brazilian player Alves saying that she thinks Sharapova is at
> > least 21. Something similar had been said about Golovin too. Has anybody
> > heard of it?
>
> Hmmm, like the african soccer players?
>
> Some years ago people started wondering why the african teams where dominating
> the under-17 soccer championships... turns out a sizable portion of players
> where "registered" like four years after their birth, resulting in "hulking"
> "17-year-olds" that where 21.

But, in that case, it makes sense; you get stronger players. There
was a controversy in Little League, too, because they brought in
older, better players.

But, in women's tennis, it makes no sense. Claiming a player is
younger than her age just gets her stuck under age restrictions.

The one instance I know of in tennis is Ljubicic. But that wasn't
for tennis reasons; it was political.

--
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data."
-- unknown (at least to me)

29 Nov 2004 14:46:36
Javier Gonzalez

Robert B. Waltz <waltzmn@skypoint.com > wrote:
> But, in that case, it makes sense; you get stronger players. There
> was a controversy in Little League, too, because they brought in
> older, better players.
>
> But, in women's tennis, it makes no sense. Claiming a player is
> younger than her age just gets her stuck under age restrictions.

That's why I stuck the "hmmmmm..." and "?" to the statement... doesn't
make any sense for tennis! Maybe you get a "teenager" that is a tad
stronger than her counterparts, but as soon as you turn pro you get
stuck with age restrictions during your peak physical years...

--
Javier Gonzalez Nicolini
Ingeniero Civil en Computacion - Universidad de Chile

29 Nov 2004 18:53:21
Yama

"Robert B. Waltz" <waltzmn@skypoint.com > wrote in message
> Javier Gonzalez <jagonzal@dcc.uchile.cl> wrote:
> > Some years ago people started wondering why the african teams where
dominating
> > the under-17 soccer championships... turns out a sizable portion of
players
> > where "registered" like four years after their birth, resulting in
"hulking"
> > "17-year-olds" that where 21.
>
> But, in that case, it makes sense; you get stronger players. There
> was a controversy in Little League, too, because they brought in
> older, better players.
>
> But, in women's tennis, it makes no sense. Claiming a player is
> younger than her age just gets her stuck under age restrictions.

There was similar rumour circling about Lucic, that she was considerably
older what she claimed. Anyways, I don't think Sharapova could be so old,
it's not like she came from obscurity. Her career has been quite closely
followed. Anyone thinks she would have passed for 12-year old as 16...?