08 May 2007 07:41:14
giovanapel@bol.com.br
FedGod 63 64!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

one Spaniard down...

08 May 2007 07:51:51
Sao Paulo Swallow
Re: FedGod 63 64!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On May 8, 7:41 am, "giovana...@bol.com.br" <giovana...@bol.com.br >
wrote:
> one Spaniard down...

I only saw a few minutes of the match but Federer seemed to be playing
well. A few shanked forehands but nice net play.

08 May 2007 07:54:29
Lax
Re: FedGod 63 64!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On May 8, 10:51 am, Sao Paulo Swallow <Sao_Paulo_Swal...@yahoo.com >
wrote:
> On May 8, 7:41 am, "giovana...@bol.com.br" <giovana...@bol.com.br>
> wrote:
>
> > one Spaniard down...
>
> I only saw a few minutes of the match but Federer seemed to be playing
> well. A few shanked forehands but nice net play.

He seems to be stuck at the baseline. He's not coming in to finish
points.

08 May 2007 08:01:57
Lax
Re: FedGod 63 64!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And Fed is playing MORE LIKE Nadal now. Lots of topspin heavy shots
(moon balls) from back of the court. Some of his forehands are
looping safely over the net with a lot (a LOT) of weight. He's hardly
coming to the net to finish points off.

Is this Roche's master plan? Make Fed play like Nadal? Unfortunately
Nadal beats him big time in the clay movement department, so playing
like Nadal as well as Nadal is nearly impossible.

08 May 2007 15:20:39
Dr. GroundAxe
Re: FedGod 63 64!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

<giovanapel@bol.com.br > wrote in message
> one Spaniard down...

Almagro is hardly a tough oppoent.

08 May 2007 08:47:02
Sao Paulo Swallow
Re: FedGod 63 64!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On May 8, 7:54 am, Lax <Lax.Cla...@gmail.com > wrote:
> On May 8, 10:51 am, Sao Paulo Swallow <Sao_Paulo_Swal...@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> > On May 8, 7:41 am, "giovana...@bol.com.br" <giovana...@bol.com.br>
> > wrote:
>
> > > one Spaniard down...
>
> > I only saw a few minutes of the match but Federer seemed to be playing
> > well. A few shanked forehands but nice net play.
>
> He seems to be stuck at the baseline. He's not coming in to finish
> points.

I must have seen him when he had no choice because he was at the net
several times. But I noticed a few moonballs, too.

08 May 2007 09:20:50
wkhedr
Re: FedGod 63 64!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On May 8, 11:01 am, Lax <Lax.Cla...@gmail.com > wrote:
> And Fed is playing MORE LIKE Nadal now. Lots of topspin heavy shots
> (moon balls) from back of the court. Some of his forehands are
> looping safely over the net with a lot (a LOT) of weight. He's hardly
> coming to the net to finish points off.
>
> Is this Roche's master plan? Make Fed play like Nadal? Unfortunately
> Nadal beats him big time in the clay movement department, so playing
> like Nadal as well as Nadal is nearly impossible.

It's very difficult to change the style of play. He can fix technical
issues in his strokes, but it's difficult for him to keep sending moon
balls, not his style.

I think he still does not look sharp. He can't convert break points
and does not play the score that well any more.
It started to show up in IW.
He looks like he does not care enough any more about destroying his
opponents and bageling them.
Also his recent talk about he does not want to be number one on clay
and all he needs is to win the FO.

Is he using these tournamnets as practice sessions?
Is he saving his best for the FO?
Is he giving up on winning tournaments on clay?

I'm not sure!!

But for sure he is different in the last six weeks, also did not care
much about losing in MC.

08 May 2007 09:25:36
fearsomeforehand
Re: FedGod 63 64!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On May 8, 12:20 pm, wkhedr <wkh...@my-deja.com > wrote:
> On May 8, 11:01 am, Lax <Lax.Cla...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > And Fed is playing MORE LIKE Nadal now. Lots of topspin heavy shots
> > (moon balls) from back of the court. Some of his forehands are
> > looping safely over the net with a lot (a LOT) of weight. He's hardly
> > coming to the net to finish points off.
>
> > Is this Roche's master plan? Make Fed play like Nadal? Unfortunately
> > Nadal beats him big time in the clay movement department, so playing
> > like Nadal as well as Nadal is nearly impossible.
>
> It's very difficult to change the style of play. He can fix technical
> issues in his strokes, but it's difficult for him to keep sending moon
> balls, not his style.
>
> I think he still does not look sharp. He can't convert break points
> and does not play the score that well any more.
> It started to show up in IW.
> He looks like he does not care enough any more about destroying his
> opponents and bageling them.
> Also his recent talk about he does not want to be number one on clay
> and all he needs is to win the FO.
>
> Is he using these tournamnets as practice sessions?
> Is he saving his best for the FO?
> Is he giving up on winning tournaments on clay?
>
> I'm not sure!!
>
> But for sure he is different in the last six weeks, also did not care
> much about losing in MC.

He is definitely looking sharper than IW/Miami. Losing to Nadal on
clay is no shame..maybe that is why he did not look so devastated. I
hope he does give up hope, though.

08 May 2007 09:35:28
Re: FedGod 63 64!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If Roche strategy is to moonball players, Fed can kiss any chance at
the FO goodbye.

08 May 2007 09:40:38
fearsomeforehand
Re: FedGod 63 64!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On May 8, 12:35 pm, ulys...@mscomm.com wrote:
> If Roche strategy is to moonball players, Fed can kiss any chance at
> the FO goodbye.

I can safely say it is not. :) Fed needs to come in a LOT more in
these early rounds. Either Roche is not pointing this out or Fed is
ignoring his advice.

08 May 2007 10:00:34
Gaspard
Re: FedGod 63 64!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On 8 May, 17:40, fearsomeforehand <FearsomeForeh...@gmail.com > wrote:
> On May 8, 12:35 pm, ulys...@mscomm.com wrote:
>
> > If Roche strategy is to moonball players, Fed can kiss any chance at
> > the FO goodbye.
>
> I can safely say it is not. :) Fed needs to come in a LOT more in
> these early rounds. Either Roche is not pointing this out or Fed is
> ignoring his advice.

Or Federer and Roche have a better idea of what Federer needs to do on
clay than you and all the other armchair pundits who have no
conception of what it takes to play at this level.

08 May 2007 10:06:42
fearsomeforehand
Re: FedGod 63 64!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On May 8, 1:00 pm, Gaspard <gasparddn...@yahoo.com > wrote:
> On 8 May, 17:40, fearsomeforehand <FearsomeForeh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On May 8, 12:35 pm, ulys...@mscomm.com wrote:
>
> > > If Roche strategy is to moonball players, Fed can kiss any chance at
> > > the FO goodbye.
>
> > I can safely say it is not. :) Fed needs to come in a LOT more in
> > these early rounds. Either Roche is not pointing this out or Fed is
> > ignoring his advice.
>
> Or Federer and Roche have a better idea of what Federer needs to do on
> clay than you and all the other armchair pundits who have no
> conception of what it takes to play at this level.

maybe..but it is clearly not working against Nadal. I did not expect
Fed to take my advice anyway :) just airing my views.

08 May 2007 10:19:23
Re: FedGod 63 64!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On May 8, 4:20 pm, "Dr. GroundAxe" <ground...@hotmail.co.uk > wrote:
> <giovana...@bol.com.br> wrote in message

> > one Spaniard down...
>
> Almagro is hardly a tough oppoent.

Just won a clay title?

08 May 2007 10:19:56
Gaspard
Re: FedGod 63 64!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On 8 May, 18:06, fearsomeforehand <FearsomeForeh...@gmail.com > wrote:
> On May 8, 1:00 pm, Gaspard <gasparddn...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > > I can safely say it is not. :) Fed needs to come in a LOT more in
> > > these early rounds. Either Roche is not pointing this out or Fed is
> > > ignoring his advice.
>
> > Or Federer and Roche have a better idea of what Federer needs to do on
> > clay than you and all the other armchair pundits who have no
> > conception of what it takes to play at this level.
>
> maybe..but it is clearly not working against Nadal. I did not expect
> Fed to take my advice anyway :) just airing my views.

Well, it's not working because Nadal has been better on the day on
each of the occasions they have played, in addition to Nadal being
marginally a better clay court player. The way Federer plays on clay
is fine, he just needs to play with a little more margin for error and
patience, which is what he seems to be doing. On this, I agree with
Agassi.

08 May 2007 10:31:01
wkhedr
Re: FedGod 63 64!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On May 8, 1:19 pm, Gaspard <gasparddn...@yahoo.com > wrote:
> On 8 May, 18:06, fearsomeforehand <FearsomeForeh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Or Federer and Roche have a better idea of what Federer needs to do on
> > > clay than you and all the other armchair pundits who have no
> > > conception of what it takes to play at this level.
>
> > maybe..but it is clearly not working against Nadal. I did not expect
> > Fed to take my advice anyway :) just airing my views.
>
> Well, it's not working because Nadal has been better on the day on
> each of the occasions they have played, in addition to Nadal being
> marginally a better clay court player. The way Federer plays on clay
> is fine, he just needs to play with a little more margin for error and
> patience, which is what he seems to be doing. On this, I agree with
> Agassi.- Hide quoted text -

So it seems you are contradicting your previous message and suggesting
ways for Federer to win :-)

08 May 2007 18:40:36
Dr. GroundAxe
Re: FedGod 63 64!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

<gregorawe@hotmail.com > wrote in message
> On May 8, 4:20 pm, "Dr. GroundAxe" <ground...@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
>> <giovana...@bol.com.br> wrote in message

>> > one Spaniard down...
>>
>> Almagro is hardly a tough oppoent.
>
> Just won a clay title?

Yup, Valencia. didn't play a single top 50 player. Not sure that makes him a
big deal on clay.

08 May 2007 11:52:08
jobseeker
Re: FedGod 63 64!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On May 8, 2:40 pm, "Dr. GroundAxe" <ground...@hotmail.co.uk > wrote:
> <gregor...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > On May 8, 4:20 pm, "Dr. GroundAxe" <ground...@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
> >> <giovana...@bol.com.br> wrote in message

> >> Almagro is hardly a tough oppoent.
>
> > Just won a clay title?
>
> Yup, Valencia. didn't play a single top 50 player. Not sure that makes him a
> big deal on clay.

How many players in the top 50 you considered a big deal on clay
anyway? In fact how many players other than Nadal and Murray you
considered big deal on anything anyway? And then to you it is probable
that Murray will not win a single clay match this year and Nadal
hasn't lost a clay match for almost two years. So in a way there is no
clay match amount to anything anyway, so why don't you just can that
"no big deal" reply from now on.

08 May 2007 21:55:17
Re: FedGod 63 64!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On Tue, 08 May 2007 15:20:39 GMT, "Dr. GroundAxe"
<groundaxe@hotmail.co.uk > wrote:

><giovanapel@bol.com.br> wrote in message
>> one Spaniard down...
>>

>Almagro is hardly a tough oppoent.

Played badly against Fed. Many unforced errors. Choked big points, if
you can say there really were big points in this match. Lost his serve
in the beginning of both 1st and 2nd set. Federer didn't play too bad,
although hes UE/Win stats were negative in the end.

08 May 2007 22:09:01
Re: FedGod 63 64!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On Tue, 08 May 2007 21:55:17 +0300, thetjt@yahoo.com wrote:

>On Tue, 08 May 2007 15:20:39 GMT, "Dr. GroundAxe"
><groundaxe@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
>

>><giovanapel@bol.com.br> wrote in message
>>> one Spaniard down...
>>>

>>Almagro is hardly a tough oppoent.
>
>Played badly against Fed. Many unforced errors. Choked big points, if
>you can say there really were big points in this match. Lost his serve
>in the beginning of both 1st and 2nd set. Federer didn't play too bad,
>although hes UE/Win stats were negative in the end.

...his

09 May 2007 05:56:22
Whisper
Re: FedGod 63 64!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lax wrote:
> On May 8, 10:51 am, Sao Paulo Swallow <Sao_Paulo_Swal...@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>> On May 8, 7:41 am, "giovana...@bol.com.br" <giovana...@bol.com.br>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> one Spaniard down...
>> I only saw a few minutes of the match but Federer seemed to be playing
>> well. A few shanked forehands but nice net play.
>

> He seems to be stuck at the baseline. He's not coming in to finish
> points.

Well which one is it? You guys watching the same match...?

08 May 2007 21:28:38
EFill4Zaggin
Re: FedGod 63 64!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On 8 May 2007 07:51:51 -0700, Sao Paulo Swallow
<Sao_Paulo_Swallow@yahoo.com > wrote:

>On May 8, 7:41 am, "giovana...@bol.com.br" <giovana...@bol.com.br>
>wrote:
>> one Spaniard down...
>
>I only saw a few minutes of the match but Federer seemed to be playing
>well. A few shanked forehands but nice net play.

It looked like the best he'd been the hitting the ball for a while,
although Almagro was disappointing - he made too many errors, his shot
selection was yet again poor and his movement sucks.

08 May 2007 13:52:13
Lax
Re: FedGod 63 64!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On May 8, 3:56 pm, Whisper <beaver...@ozemail.com.au > wrote:
> Lax wrote:
> > On May 8, 10:51 am, Sao Paulo Swallow <Sao_Paulo_Swal...@yahoo.com>
> > wrote:

> >> I only saw a few minutes of the match but Federer seemed to be playing
> >> well. A few shanked forehands but nice net play.
>
> > He seems to be stuck at the baseline. He's not coming in to finish
> > points.
>
> Well which one is it? You guys watching the same match...?

Way less net play than expected. A lot more topspin on shots.

08 May 2007 22:40:05
grif
Re: FedGod 63 64!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"jobseeker" <jobseeker95479@netscape.net > wrote in message
> On May 8, 2:40 pm, "Dr. GroundAxe" <ground...@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
>> <gregor...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>> > Just won a clay title?
>>
>> Yup, Valencia. didn't play a single top 50 player. Not sure that makes
>> him a
>> big deal on clay.
>
> How many players in the top 50 you considered a big deal on clay
> anyway? In fact how many players other than Nadal and Murray you
> considered big deal on anything anyway? And then to you it is probable
> that Murray will not win a single clay match this year and Nadal
> hasn't lost a clay match for almost two years. So in a way there is no
> clay match amount to anything anyway, so why don't you just can that
> "no big deal" reply from now on.

In his interview for ATP Masters Series TV, Fed says about Almagro:
"Almagro, I think, is a player who can ... you have the feeling can win any
clay court tournament and I think he's already done so this season and, you
know, to play him first up, that was a tough match. I knew that, but I
played well, looking forward to the next match.

http://www.atpmastersseries.tv/page/TournamentInterview/0,,11444,00.html

08 May 2007 22:44:50
grif
Re: FedGod 63 64!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"grif" <griffin_230@btinternet.com > wrote in message
> "jobseeker" <jobseeker95479@netscape.net> wrote in message
>> On May 8, 2:40 pm, "Dr. GroundAxe" <ground...@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
>>> <gregor...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>>> Yup, Valencia. didn't play a single top 50 player. Not sure that makes
>>> him a
>>> big deal on clay.
>>
>> How many players in the top 50 you considered a big deal on clay
>> anyway? In fact how many players other than Nadal and Murray you
>> considered big deal on anything anyway? And then to you it is probable
>> that Murray will not win a single clay match this year and Nadal
>> hasn't lost a clay match for almost two years. So in a way there is no
>> clay match amount to anything anyway, so why don't you just can that
>> "no big deal" reply from now on.
>>

> In his interview for ATP Masters Series TV, Fed says about Almagro:
> "Almagro, I think, is a player who can ... you have the feeling can win
> any clay court tournament and I think he's already done so this season
> and, you know, to play him first up, that was a tough match. I knew that,
> but I played well, looking forward to the next match.
>
> http://www.atpmastersseries.tv/page/TournamentInterview/0,,11444,00.html
You can find Fed's interview on the right hand side of the Interviews page.

09 May 2007 00:53:13
Sakari Lund
Re: FedGod 63 64!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On 8 May 2007 07:51:51 -0700, Sao Paulo Swallow
<Sao_Paulo_Swallow@yahoo.com > wrote:

>On May 8, 7:41 am, "giovana...@bol.com.br" <giovana...@bol.com.br>
>wrote:
>> one Spaniard down...
>
>I only saw a few minutes of the match but Federer seemed to be playing
>well. A few shanked forehands but nice net play.

A few shanked forehands in few minutes doesn't sound that good.

08 May 2007 14:58:50
Sao Paulo Swallow
Re: FedGod 63 64!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On May 8, 2:53 pm, Sakari Lund <sakari.l...@welho.com > wrote:
> On 8 May 2007 07:51:51 -0700, Sao Paulo Swallow
>
> <Sao_Paulo_Swal...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >On May 8, 7:41 am, "giovana...@bol.com.br" <giovana...@bol.com.br>
> >wrote:
> >> one Spaniard down...
>
> >I only saw a few minutes of the match but Federer seemed to be playing
> >well. A few shanked forehands but nice net play.
>
> A few shanked forehands in few minutes doesn't sound that good.

You and Whisper are very literal fellows.

08 May 2007 15:04:14
giovanapel@bol.com.br
Re: FedGod 63 64!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glad to read Roger seems to up his game to his standarts. Time to be
back on track hope he'll keep it up and hopefully peak on Sunday...

08 May 2007 23:04:57
Gaspard
Re: FedGod 63 64!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On 8 May, 18:31, wkhedr <wkh...@my-deja.com > wrote:
> On May 8, 1:19 pm, Gaspard <gasparddn...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > > maybe..but it is clearly not working against Nadal. I did not expect
> > > Fed to take my advice anyway :) just airing my views.
>
> > Well, it's not working because Nadal has been better on the day on
> > each of the occasions they have played, in addition to Nadal being
> > marginally a better clay court player. The way Federer plays on clay
> > is fine, he just needs to play with a little more margin for error and
> > patience, which is what he seems to be doing. On this, I agree with
> > Agassi.- Hide quoted text -

> So it seems you are contradicting your previous message and suggesting
> ways for Federer to win :-)

No, just concurring with what he is already doing.

09 May 2007 18:12:58
Whisper
Re: FedGod 63 64!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EFill4Zaggin wrote:
> On 8 May 2007 07:51:51 -0700, Sao Paulo Swallow
> <Sao_Paulo_Swallow@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> On May 8, 7:41 am, "giovana...@bol.com.br" <giovana...@bol.com.br>
>> wrote:
>>> one Spaniard down...
>> I only saw a few minutes of the match but Federer seemed to be playing
>> well. A few shanked forehands but nice net play.
>
> It looked like the best he'd been the hitting the ball for a while,
> although Almagro was disappointing - he made too many errors, his shot
> selection was yet again poor and his movement sucks.

Besides that he's a terrific player.