29 Nov 2003 02:09:15
Gary
Dirty Tricks that Mother didn't teach me -

Every so often, I play an opponent who loves to trash talk during the
set...before, receiving or serving...etc. When I have an opponent
like this I employ dirty tricks that Mother didn't teach me.
Naturally, this type of opponent likes to act like his trash talk is
all just good nature fun. However, it is a tactic to wreck your
game!!!

So, when that starts happening here's a very effective trick to stop
it...on change overs - Stare at his shoes...then, when he catches you
act like you really weren't looking at his shoes. If he asks you
"what" you're looking at just tell him you were thinking about
something. If, you are serving - right before you begin your toss
look at his shoes. If, you are receiving do the same thing before you
get in the ready position. Keep it up until he is so self-absorbed
with his shoes that he can't even think about his tennis. You must
maintain a "straight" face.

Here's another fun one - on change overs pretend you have this make
believe ritual you must do...like getting a specific towel out of your
bag to wipe your handle or face off with. And, always put that towel
back in a specific place in your bag. When, you take the lead in the
set...completely, ignore the towel. If you are behind take the towel
out and throw it down on the ground like its magic has worn off then
put it back in your bag. Curiosity kills "trash talkers".

Here's a fun one - pretend you have a favorite ball that you must have
to start the serve with. Even, if you have all three of the balls
pretend you are looking them over real closely to find the right one
to serve with before you serve. Try to make it look like you are
being covert about it. Then, if he becomes helpful in trying to make
sure you have the right ball so it doesn't delay his game...and, he
tosses it to you - tell him you're sure that's not the right one and
use another ball.

Here's a good one that I had an opponent pull on me...although, I
wasn't trash talking. Before, he would receive serve he would quickly
lean over and touch the court with his hand. It took me a couple of
games to figure out he was having too much fun.

Here's another one that I have seen employed...this one opponent would
always turn and spit just a little bit before he would take serve.
Then, when the set got serious he would stop spitting.

I am sure a bunch of you have seen other tactics. What are your
favorites that have either been used on you or you have used??? And,
how do you handle trash talkers??? Sure, it's easy to punch them out
or make a big scene out of their trash talk...but, there's more than
one way to skin a cat.

Your Friend,
Gary
www.awningsleeveshirt.com

29 Nov 2003 21:34:59
Whisper
Re: Dirty Tricks that Mother didn't teach me -

"Gary" <awningsleeve@msn.com > wrote in message
> Every so often, I play an opponent who loves to trash talk during the
> set...before, receiving or serving...etc. When I have an opponent
> like this I employ dirty tricks that Mother didn't teach me.
> Naturally, this type of opponent likes to act like his trash talk is
> all just good nature fun. However, it is a tactic to wreck your
> game!!!
>
> So, when that starts happening here's a very effective trick to stop
> it...on change overs - Stare at his shoes...then, when he catches you
> act like you really weren't looking at his shoes. If he asks you
> "what" you're looking at just tell him you were thinking about
> something. If, you are serving - right before you begin your toss
> look at his shoes. If, you are receiving do the same thing before you
> get in the ready position. Keep it up until he is so self-absorbed
> with his shoes that he can't even think about his tennis. You must
> maintain a "straight" face.
>
> Here's another fun one - on change overs pretend you have this make
> believe ritual you must do...like getting a specific towel out of your
> bag to wipe your handle or face off with. And, always put that towel
> back in a specific place in your bag. When, you take the lead in the
> set...completely, ignore the towel. If you are behind take the towel
> out and throw it down on the ground like its magic has worn off then
> put it back in your bag. Curiosity kills "trash talkers".
>
> Here's a fun one - pretend you have a favorite ball that you must have
> to start the serve with. Even, if you have all three of the balls
> pretend you are looking them over real closely to find the right one
> to serve with before you serve. Try to make it look like you are
> being covert about it. Then, if he becomes helpful in trying to make
> sure you have the right ball so it doesn't delay his game...and, he
> tosses it to you - tell him you're sure that's not the right one and
> use another ball.
>
> Here's a good one that I had an opponent pull on me...although, I
> wasn't trash talking. Before, he would receive serve he would quickly
> lean over and touch the court with his hand. It took me a couple of
> games to figure out he was having too much fun.
>
> Here's another one that I have seen employed...this one opponent would
> always turn and spit just a little bit before he would take serve.
> Then, when the set got serious he would stop spitting.
>
> I am sure a bunch of you have seen other tactics. What are your
> favorites that have either been used on you or you have used??? And,
> how do you handle trash talkers??? Sure, it's easy to punch them out
> or make a big scene out of their trash talk...but, there's more than
> one way to skin a cat.
>
> Your Friend,
> Gary
> www.awningsleeveshirt.com

This all seems like it would take focus away from executing your strokes?
Yes I've come across trash talkers in the past, but I was fortunate enough
to be much better than pretty much everyone I played against, so didn't have
to resort to any tactics. One that stands out is a guy visiting from
overseas who claimed to be a tennis coach & said I would be no problem for
him (I had a reputation as a bit of a tennis star... ; ).

I played him on clay at my local club & beat him 6-1 6-0 6-1 6-0. He said
'Yeah, I guess you're pretty good...' : )

Another guy wanted to bet $4,000 he could beat me. This guy was borderline
obese & I thought 'No way'. I said I wouldn't take his money & play for
free, but he never took me up.

I guess if you're playing someone much better who always beats you it might
be worth trying above tactics, but I doubt a good player would even notice
what you're doing between points...? I'd be focussing on what I had to do
rather than 'why's he stopped spitting'....

29 Nov 2003 22:25:22
bob
Re: Dirty Tricks that Mother didn't teach me -

"Gary" <awningsleeve@msn.com > wrote in message
> Every so often, I play an opponent who loves to trash talk during the
> set...before, receiving or serving...etc. When I have an opponent
> like this I employ dirty tricks that Mother didn't teach me.
> Naturally, this type of opponent likes to act like his trash talk is
> all just good nature fun. However, it is a tactic to wreck your
> game!!!
> So, when that starts happening here's a very effective trick to stop
> it...on change overs - Stare at his shoes...then, when he catches you
> act like you really weren't looking at his shoes. If he asks you
> "what" you're looking at just tell him you were thinking about
> something. If, you are serving - right before you begin your toss
> look at his shoes. If, you are receiving do the same thing before you
> get in the ready position. Keep it up until he is so self-absorbed
> with his shoes that he can't even think about his tennis. You must
> maintain a "straight" face.
> Here's another fun one - on change overs pretend you have this make
> believe ritual you must do...like getting a specific towel out of your
> bag to wipe your handle or face off with. And, always put that towel
> back in a specific place in your bag. When, you take the lead in the
> set...completely, ignore the towel. If you are behind take the towel
> out and throw it down on the ground like its magic has worn off then
> put it back in your bag. Curiosity kills "trash talkers".
> Here's a fun one - pretend you have a favorite ball that you must have
> to start the serve with. Even, if you have all three of the balls
> pretend you are looking them over real closely to find the right one
> to serve with before you serve. Try to make it look like you are
> being covert about it. Then, if he becomes helpful in trying to make
> sure you have the right ball so it doesn't delay his game...and, he
> tosses it to you - tell him you're sure that's not the right one and
> use another ball.
> Here's a good one that I had an opponent pull on me...although, I
> wasn't trash talking. Before, he would receive serve he would quickly
> lean over and touch the court with his hand. It took me a couple of
> games to figure out he was having too much fun.
> Here's another one that I have seen employed...this one opponent would
> always turn and spit just a little bit before he would take serve.
> Then, when the set got serious he would stop spitting.
> I am sure a bunch of you have seen other tactics. What are your
> favorites that have either been used on you or you have used??? And,
> how do you handle trash talkers??? Sure, it's easy to punch them out
> or make a big scene out of their trash talk...but, there's more than
> one way to skin a cat.

bette suggestion: don't be so mentally weak as to let a little thing like
trash talking affect YOUR game in any way.

bob

29 Nov 2003 14:44:18
wkhedr
Re: Dirty Tricks that Mother didn't teach me -

I play tennis because I enjoy execution my shots with style. Even when
I stop playing for long time and I get asked to play with somebody, my
focus is not in winning instead executing my style even if I'm losing!

I can change the way I play easily and win ugly but I go home unhappy
and sad.
I like to play with good players and have no problem losing because it
means there is a chance to learn something new.

Over the years most of the people I play with became reluctant to play
with me again after they lost. They have no problem hitting some balls
but playing game, NO.

This really upsets me, that people are too sensitive to lose!

"Whisper" <itchybeaver99@tpg.com.au > wrote in message news:<3fc87653@dnews.tpgi.com.au>...
> [...]
> to be much better than pretty much everyone I played against, so didn't have
> to resort to any tactics. One that stands out is a guy visiting from
> overseas who claimed to be a tennis coach & said I would be no problem for
> him (I had a reputation as a bit of a tennis star... ; ).
>
> I played him on clay at my local club & beat him 6-1 6-0 6-1 6-0. He said
> 'Yeah, I guess you're pretty good...' : )
>
> Another guy wanted to bet $4,000 he could beat me. This guy was borderline
> obese & I thought 'No way'. I said I wouldn't take his money & play for
> free, but he never took me up.
>
> I guess if you're playing someone much better who always beats you it might
> be worth trying above tactics, but I doubt a good player would even notice
> what you're doing between points...? I'd be focussing on what I had to do
> rather than 'why's he stopped spitting'....

30 Nov 2003 10:19:26
Brissie
Re: Dirty Tricks that Mother didn't teach me -

>I am sure a bunch of you have seen other tactics. What are your
>favorites that have either been used on you or you have used??? And,
>how do you handle trash talkers??? Sure, it's easy to punch them out
>or make a big scene out of their trash talk...but, there's more than
>one way to skin a cat.

In the competitions I play in singles are mixed (men play women as
well as men).

I played this hot chick once. I went to a 3-0 lead then each time I
was about to serve, when she was about to serve and change over she'd
flash her breasts - she wasn't wearing a bra. She ended up winning 6-4
(only play 1 set), she was a hot 17yo so it put me off a fair bit.

30 Nov 2003 08:45:15
wkhedr
Re: Dirty Tricks that Mother didn't teach me -

This is different you wanted to lose :)

Brissie <brissie@zwallet.com > wrote in message news:<9sdisvk95ebae0aa3n7a5ivkehdl0r5ao5@4ax.com>...
> >I am sure a bunch of you have seen other tactics. What are your
> >favorites that have either been used on you or you have used??? And,
> >how do you handle trash talkers??? Sure, it's easy to punch them out
> >or make a big scene out of their trash talk...but, there's more than
> >one way to skin a cat.
>
> In the competitions I play in singles are mixed (men play women as
> well as men).
>
> I played this hot chick once. I went to a 3-0 lead then each time I
> was about to serve, when she was about to serve and change over she'd
> flash her breasts - she wasn't wearing a bra. She ended up winning 6-4
> (only play 1 set), she was a hot 17yo so it put me off a fair bit.

01 Dec 2003 04:38:59
G. M. Lupo
Re: Dirty Tricks that Mother didn't teach me -

"Gary" <awningsleeve@msn.com > wrote...
: I am sure a bunch of you have
: seen other tactics. What are your
: favorites that have either been used
: on you or you have used??? And,
: how do you handle trash talkers???
: Sure, it's easy to punch them out
: or make a big scene out of their trash talk...
: but, there's more than one way to skin a cat.

One of my favorites is to scream, "Shut your freakin' mouth!" Then leap
over the net and pummel my opponent with the tennis racket. That one really
throws 'em off their game.

Matt Lupo

--
G. M. Lupo a.k.a. matt at lupo dot com

Up on the hill, they think I'm okay
Or so they say...

03 Dec 2003 00:24:27
Gary
Re: Dirty Tricks that Mother didn't teach me -

> I guess if you're playing someone much better who always beats you it might
> be worth trying above tactics, but I doubt a good player would even notice
> what you're doing between points...? I'd be focussing on what I had to do
> rather than 'why's he stopped spitting'....

Whisper,

I have found that the quality of player (i.e., skill level) is not
necessarily indicative of their personal maturity. It's more a case
of gamesmanship. The person who wanted to bet you $4000.00, even
though obese, probably ascribes to the thinking that if you get the
stakes high enough then you can intimidate a talented opponent.
And, I have noticed that the really good players notice every little
thing that you do...hoping to find a weak spot in your game whether
mental or skill-wise.

Here's something I found amusing that happened during a match I was
playing. It was a doubles match...my partner and I had split sets
with them. Before, the start of the third my partner took a bathroom
break. While we waited, my opponents and myself, I took the balls and
started bounce juggling them on the court. Then, I went into two or
three cascade styles of juggling and finally finished off with a five
ball juggle. This whole routine took about maybe five or six minutes.
I put the balls away except for the three we need to play with before
my partner returned.

When, we started the third set our opponents fail apart. It wasn't my
tennis that shook them up...it was my juggling skills. I guess they
thought that I was somehow toying with them. I will admit I changed
from topspin style of play to underspin. Plus, since I know how to
juggle...here's one little trick I pulled to start serve with. I
tossed one ball high in the air...just as it reached its apex - I
tossed the second ball in the air, at a shorter height, and hit it
then caught the first ball. They, my opponents, just watched sort of
in shock. They said if they knew that serve was illegal they would
complain!!! Naturally, I told them I didn't know if there was any
rule which prohibited the tossing of more than one ball at a time
because I only hit one. Maybe, it could be viewed as an obstruction.
I don't know - but, it was fun!!!

Your Friend,
Gary
www.awningsleeveshirt.com

03 Dec 2003 00:52:44
Gary
Re: Dirty Tricks that Mother didn't teach me -

whhedr,

You should never quit playing just because others don't like to be
beaten. I lose more than I win depending on the level of players.
However, I always think of tennis like old west gun-slingers...there's
always someone out there faster, younger, etc.. Strange as it may
seem, I can have a very good time even if I lose as long as I know in
my heart that I played the very best I could for that given time.
Plus, You are right about some people being too sensitive. With me
the perspective I have when I get on the courts is "thank the Lord I
can be here playing tonight". My Mother was paralyzed with a stroke
three years back...and, I spend a good portion of my day seeing to all
of her needs, (i.e., that means everything). So, winning is less
important than just getting to play. And, my Wife and children will
accompany me to the courts on league night because they like to see me
play. Maybe, its because we always have family time after league is
over and play a few sets among ourselves. However, I think it is
important that my children see that when I lose I am respectful to my
opponent...and, that I can accept defeat along with victory. For me
it's more important to impress my children with the fact that even
though I may get beat that I gave it everything I have.
I laughed at a thread in this ng where some parent was worried about
his daughter who was having difficulties with her lessons. I teach my
children to play tennis for the love of the game...if they become very
good players...that's great but not required. I realized along time
ago that I am not re-living my life vicariously through them...nor, do
I expect them to be any less respectful of me when that day comes
where they will beat me with ease.

Your Friend,
Gary
www.awningsleeveshirt.com

wkhedr@my-deja.com (wkhedr) wrote in message news:<a43ff76b.0311291444.bdb8ee6@posting.google.com >...
> [...]
> > to be much better than pretty much everyone I played against, so didn't have
> > to resort to any tactics. One that stands out is a guy visiting from
> > overseas who claimed to be a tennis coach & said I would be no problem for
> > him (I had a reputation as a bit of a tennis star... ; ).
> >
> > I played him on clay at my local club & beat him 6-1 6-0 6-1 6-0. He said
> > 'Yeah, I guess you're pretty good...' : )
> >
> > Another guy wanted to bet $4,000 he could beat me. This guy was borderline
> > obese & I thought 'No way'. I said I wouldn't take his money & play for
> > free, but he never took me up.
> >
> > I guess if you're playing someone much better who always beats you it might
> > be worth trying above tactics, but I doubt a good player would even notice
> > what you're doing between points...? I'd be focussing on what I had to do
> > rather than 'why's he stopped spitting'....

03 Dec 2003 01:01:29
Gary
Re: Dirty Tricks that Mother didn't teach me -

> bette suggestion: don't be so mentally weak as to let a little thing like
> trash talking affect YOUR game in any way.
>
> bob

Bob,
I am anything but mentally weak. I prefer to think of it as being
mentally keen on understanding "why" someone is trash talking. It is
sort of like walking down the street and you hear a siren. You look
to see where you think it might be coming from. I think in reality
people who trash talk are really just signaling to you that they have
some self confidence issues which you can take advantage of.
However, there are some people who get more fun out of trashing than
they do out of playing. And, if it is an opponent whom I know that I
can easily beat...I just ignore him. If it is not a mean spirited
trash talk then I reduce it down to a social. Because, that's what
tennis, except for tournaments and league standings, boils down to
anyway - social fun.

Your Friend,
Gary
www.awningsleeveshirt.com

03 Dec 2003 01:09:41
Gary
Re: Dirty Tricks that Mother didn't teach me -

Brissie <brissie@zwallet.com > wrote in message news:<9sdisvk95ebae0aa3n7a5ivkehdl0r5ao5@4ax.com>...
> >I am sure a bunch of you have seen other tactics. What are your
> >favorites that have either been used on you or you have used??? And,
> >how do you handle trash talkers??? Sure, it's easy to punch them out
> >or make a big scene out of their trash talk...but, there's more than
> >one way to skin a cat.
>
> In the competitions I play in singles are mixed (men play women as
> well as men).
>
> I played this hot chick once. I went to a 3-0 lead then each time I
> was about to serve, when she was about to serve and change over she'd
> flash her breasts - she wasn't wearing a bra. She ended up winning 6-4
> (only play 1 set), she was a hot 17yo so it put me off a fair bit.

Brissie,

We had this doctor's wife who showed up, no pun intended, a few times
to the courts wearing a thong under her skirt. She knew it was
throwing people's games off. Finally, a bunch of the male players got
with the female players and asked them talk with her about her
attire...telling her that the male players wished she would cover up
more!!! Even the female players had complained about the way she was
dressed.

I guess Maslow in his hierarchy of needs failed to list tennis.

Your Friend,
Gary
www.awningsleeveshirt.com

03 Dec 2003 01:36:36
Gary

"G. M. Lupo" <deaconblues@steelyspam.org > wrote in message news:<DBzyb.32638$Wy4.2618@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>...
> "Gary" <awningsleeve@msn.com> wrote...
> : I am sure a bunch of you have
> : seen other tactics. What are your
> : favorites that have either been used
> : on you or you have used??? And,
> : how do you handle trash talkers???
> : Sure, it's easy to punch them out
> : or make a big scene out of their trash talk...
> : but, there's more than one way to skin a cat.
>
> One of my favorites is to scream, "Shut your freakin' mouth!" Then leap
> over the net and pummel my opponent with the tennis racket. That one really
> throws 'em off their game.
>
> Matt Lupo

Matt,

A number of years back, 12 years back to be exact, I was playing
doubles against a team who loved to trash talk. I listened to it to
the point that I was ready to do just what you suggested. However, I
was starting to look for an excuse to inflict bodily damage on one or
both of them.

They were serving...my partner was receiving...and, I was playing just
at the service line on my side of the court. Boom!!! I was nailed in
the upper thigh with a serve that went wild off my opponent's racquet.
They started laughing like a couple of school kids at what had
happened. Before, I realized where my legs were taking me I was around
the net to their side of the court and had grabbed the server by the
throat and demanding an apology. His partner claimed it was legal to
win a point that way...naturally, he was right!!! But, I felt they
had trash talked and carried on long enough.
No apology was being given by the person whose throat was in my grip.
So, I escorted him off the courts to the hood of his car. His partner
followed with their equipment. They left in a hurry.

Three weeks later the same two were at the courts and I asked the one
who nailed me with the ball if he was ready to apologize for his
actions. He admitted that he had intentionally tried to hit me with
the ball because he knew he could win a fast point that way. I
apologized for my spontaneous behavior too. They, the both of them,
stopped their trash talk from that day on.

At the time, I felt justified for my behavior...however, it pretty
much ruined everybody's afternoon. I guess it would have been more
polite of me to have asked them to shut up when the event happened -
but, my leg was smarting a little bit...and, I thought there's a time
for talking and a time for choking. So, I just reacted. And, I guess
I have mellowed over the years.

Your Friend,
Gary
www.awningsleeveshirt.com

03 Dec 2003 21:50:36

> whhedr,
>
> You should never quit playing just because others don't like to be
> beaten. I lose more than I win depending on the level of players.
> However, I always think of tennis like old west gun-slingers...there's
> always someone out there faster, younger, etc.. Strange as it may
> seem, I can have a very good time even if I lose as long as I know in
> my heart that I played the very best I could for that given time.
> Plus, You are right about some people being too sensitive. With me
> the perspective I have when I get on the courts is "thank the Lord I
> can be here playing tonight". My Mother was paralyzed with a stroke
> three years back...and, I spend a good portion of my day seeing to all
> of her needs, (i.e., that means everything). So, winning is less
> important than just getting to play. And, my Wife and children will
> accompany me to the courts on league night because they like to see me
> play. Maybe, its because we always have family time after league is
> over and play a few sets among ourselves. However, I think it is
> important that my children see that when I lose I am respectful to my
> opponent...and, that I can accept defeat along with victory. For me
> it's more important to impress my children with the fact that even
> though I may get beat that I gave it everything I have.
> I laughed at a thread in this ng where some parent was worried about
> his daughter who was having difficulties with her lessons. I teach my
> children to play tennis for the love of the game...if they become very
> good players...that's great but not required. I realized along time
> ago that I am not re-living my life vicariously through them...nor, do
> I expect them to be any less respectful of me when that day comes
> where they will beat me with ease.
>
> Your Friend,
> Gary

Well said. Looks like you have a healthy perspective on things... ; )

03 Dec 2003 21:55:40

> > I guess if you're playing someone much better who always beats you it
might
> > be worth trying above tactics, but I doubt a good player would even
notice
> > what you're doing between points...? I'd be focussing on what I had to
do
> > rather than 'why's he stopped spitting'....
>
> Whisper,
>
> I have found that the quality of player (i.e., skill level) is not
> necessarily indicative of their personal maturity. It's more a case
> of gamesmanship. The person who wanted to bet you $4000.00, even
> though obese, probably ascribes to the thinking that if you get the
> stakes high enough then you can intimidate a talented opponent.

Yes. I suspect he's a good poker player.... : )

> And, I have noticed that the really good players notice every little
> thing that you do...hoping to find a weak spot in your game whether
> mental or skill-wise.

Yes, I noticed that when I was in my teens playing the older cagier
veterans.....

> Here's something I found amusing that happened during a match I was
> playing. It was a doubles match...my partner and I had split sets
> with them. Before, the start of the third my partner took a bathroom
> break. While we waited, my opponents and myself, I took the balls and
> started bounce juggling them on the court. Then, I went into two or
> three cascade styles of juggling and finally finished off with a five
> ball juggle. This whole routine took about maybe five or six minutes.
> I put the balls away except for the three we need to play with before
> my partner returned.
>
> When, we started the third set our opponents fail apart. It wasn't my
> tennis that shook them up...it was my juggling skills.

Maybe..... or perhaps the juggling, which you thought may distract them,
actually relaxed you & you played at a higher level...

I guess they
> thought that I was somehow toying with them. I will admit I changed
> from topspin style of play to underspin. Plus, since I know how to
> juggle...here's one little trick I pulled to start serve with. I
> tossed one ball high in the air...just as it reached its apex - I
> tossed the second ball in the air, at a shorter height, and hit it
> then caught the first ball. They, my opponents, just watched sort of
> in shock. They said if they knew that serve was illegal they would
> complain!!! Naturally, I told them I didn't know if there was any
> rule which prohibited the tossing of more than one ball at a time
> because I only hit one. Maybe, it could be viewed as an obstruction.
> I don't know - but, it was fun!!!

Hmm... I'll try thet next time for fun. I'd say it'd be illegal on the
tour..... : )

03 Dec 2003 21:57:46

> > bette suggestion: don't be so mentally weak as to let a little thing
like
> > trash talking affect YOUR game in any way.
> >
> > bob
>
> Bob,
> I am anything but mentally weak. I prefer to think of it as being
> mentally keen on understanding "why" someone is trash talking. It is
> sort of like walking down the street and you hear a siren. You look
> to see where you think it might be coming from. I think in reality
> people who trash talk are really just signaling to you that they have
> some self confidence issues which you can take advantage of.
> However, there are some people who get more fun out of trashing than
> they do out of playing. And, if it is an opponent whom I know that I
> can easily beat...I just ignore him. If it is not a mean spirited
> trash talk then I reduce it down to a social. Because, that's what
> tennis, except for tournaments and league standings, boils down to
> anyway - social fun.

Yes. In my experience I won most of the time so none of this bothered me.
Beating them 6-1 6-2 was enough payback... : )