31 Jan 2005 15:17:40
tenista
Cliff Drysdale left ESPN--was he fired?

Just curious if anybody around here knows for sure. He seemed senile
to me, to be honest. Or is it an alcohol problem? In any case, he's a
pleasant enough guy but I won't miss him on the broadcasts--he was
getting truly idiotic in a lot of his comments. I don't really like
any of ESPN's people except Courier or Chris Fowler, who's obviously
not a commentator. If he's got Alzheimer's or some other kind of
dementia, as seems possible, he's not even 64, so fairly young for
that. Sad for him, in any case. Not sure how many years he was with
ESPN.

31 Jan 2005 23:17:43
mimus
Re: Cliff Drysdale left ESPN--was he fired?

On 31 Jan 2005 15:17:40 -0800, "tenista" <metta4u@yahoo.com > wrote:

>Just curious if anybody around here knows for sure. He seemed senile
>to me, to be honest. Or is it an alcohol problem? In any case, he's a
>pleasant enough guy but I won't miss him on the broadcasts--he was
>getting truly idiotic in a lot of his comments. I don't really like
>any of ESPN's people except Courier or Chris Fowler, who's obviously
>not a commentator. If he's got Alzheimer's or some other kind of
>dementia, as seems possible, he's not even 64, so fairly young for
>that. Sad for him, in any case. Not sure how many years he was with
>ESPN.

He seemed fine to me. And I'm shocked at the news. If it is news.

--
Thank you, Adelphia, for demanding $120 more a year
for The Tennis Channel!

31 Jan 2005 15:25:09
tenista
Re: Cliff Drysdale left ESPN--was he fired?

I didn't hear him say it myself but apparently he announced it was his
last match and that he would be leaving ESPN. I wondered if it had to
do with Enberg being hired or if it was the other way around--i.e.,
that Enberg was hired because they were canning Drysdale. Then somebody
on another board said he was seriously demented, which actually
confirmed a feeling that I had had--that some of his comments had
seemed really out of it and nonsensical--more and moreso. I don't
really know if it's true but the poster I'm talking about seemed pretty
sure of it--the dementia.

31 Jan 2005 15:30:18

tenista wrote:
> I didn't hear him say it myself but apparently he announced it was
his
> last match and that he would be leaving ESPN. I wondered if it had
> do with Enberg being hired or if it was the other way around--i.e.,
> that Enberg was hired because they were canning Drysdale. Then
somebody
> on another board said he was seriously demented, which actually
> confirmed a feeling that I had had--that some of his comments had
> seemed really out of it and nonsensical--more and moreso. I don't
> really know if it's true but the poster I'm talking about seemed
pretty
> sure of it--the dementia.

I have noticed symptoms of this in Drysdale on numerous occassions.
Either dementia or blasted. I had never seen reference to it in print
or anything, but I have certainly noted it over the years.

31 Jan 2005 22:58:29
BadPony
Re: Cliff Drysdale left ESPN--was he fired?

Cliffie will be sorely missed, he brought a great deal of
experience and I don't think many Americans understood his
sense of humour or his allusions. Not to worry, now you have
Enberg and coherence for the ignorant.

blanders0604@hotmail.com wrote:
> tenista wrote:
>
>>I didn't hear him say it myself but apparently he announced it was
>
> his
>
>>last match and that he would be leaving ESPN. I wondered if it had

>>do with Enberg being hired or if it was the other way around--i.e.,
>>that Enberg was hired because they were canning Drysdale. Then
>
> somebody
>
>>on another board said he was seriously demented, which actually
>>confirmed a feeling that I had had--that some of his comments had
>>seemed really out of it and nonsensical--more and moreso. I don't
>>really know if it's true but the poster I'm talking about seemed
>
> pretty
>
>>sure of it--the dementia.
>

> I have noticed symptoms of this in Drysdale on numerous occassions.
> Either dementia or blasted. I had never seen reference to it in print
> or anything, but I have certainly noted it over the years.

01 Feb 2005 06:24:02
Michael Rosen

"tenista" <metta4u@yahoo.com > wrote in message
> Just curious if anybody around here knows for sure. He seemed senile
> to me, to be honest. Or is it an alcohol problem? In any case, he's a
> pleasant enough guy but I won't miss him on the broadcasts--he was
> getting truly idiotic in a lot of his comments. I don't really like
> any of ESPN's people except Courier or Chris Fowler, who's obviously
> not a commentator. If he's got Alzheimer's or some other kind of
> dementia, as seems possible, he's not even 64, so fairly young for
> that. Sad for him, in any case. Not sure how many years he was with
> ESPN.

I don't watch tennis all that much but I've always liked Drysdale. I
thought he had class and he often said things that most bland commentators
wouldn't dare. So I will miss him even though I haven't heard him on a
regular basis for years.

01 Feb 2005 05:05:13

BadPony wrote:
> Cliffie will be sorely missed, he brought a great deal of
> experience and I don't think many Americans understood his
> sense of humour or his allusions. Not to worry, now you have
> Enberg and coherence for the ignorant.

Nothing to do with his personality, assmunch. Now that you mention it
though, I didn't really care for his giddy declarations/observations in
that lilting South African accent, but the fact is the guy has other
problems. He is either senile, drunk or dumb. You confuse that with
experience and sly sense of humor. I'm surprised more regular viewers
did not pick up on this.

01 Feb 2005 08:05:45
BadPony
Re: Cliff Drysdale left ESPN--was he fired?

You have deorgatory pet names for people so that
you can feel better about yourself?

Do give me an example of a giddy declaration by
Cliffie. Try it phonetically too, to give us
a taste of a Sarf Effrican exent.

blanders0604@hotmail.com wrote:
> BadPony wrote:
>
>>Cliffie will be sorely missed, he brought a great deal of
>>experience and I don't think many Americans understood his
>>sense of humour or his allusions. Not to worry, now you have
>>Enberg and coherence for the ignorant.
>

> Nothing to do with his personality, assmunch. Now that you mention it
> though, I didn't really care for his giddy declarations/observations in
> that lilting South African accent, but the fact is the guy has other
> problems. He is either senile, drunk or dumb. You confuse that with
> experience and sly sense of humor. I'm surprised more regular viewers
> did not pick up on this.

01 Feb 2005 05:27:30

BadPony wrote:
> You have deorgatory pet names for people so that
> you can feel better about yourself?
>
> Do give me an example of a giddy declaration by
> Cliffie. Try it phonetically too, to give us
> a taste of a Sarf Effrican exent.

You're the one taking cheap shots at Americans. Does that make you
feel better? What's an 'exent'? I have derogatory names for people for
my amusement. I think I'll call you Shitstain. Yes, that does feel
better, you're right. I cannot think of any Cliffy-isms right off the
top of my head, but he was prone to gay observations. He would also
make tennis observations that were so amateurish that is was difficult
to believe he was a pro player (of course he *did* wear a tennis
glove-lol). His boothmates were generally kind to him, but
occassionally just had to step in to correct his gross errors.
Unfortunately, I didn't take notes on these instances to cite here, but
they were frequent over the years. I remember one time specifically
when he was still with Stolle when it was quite obvious that Cliff was
gonzo.

01 Feb 2005 08:57:39
BadPony
Re: Cliff Drysdale left ESPN--was he fired?

Plainly you don't know the South African accent very well.
However, not the point. You don't have any examples
other than? you think Cliffie is ? homophobic?

blanders0604@hotmail.com wrote:
> BadPony wrote:
>
>>You have deorgatory pet names for people so that
>>you can feel better about yourself?
>>
>>Do give me an example of a giddy declaration by
>>Cliffie. Try it phonetically too, to give us
>>a taste of a Sarf Effrican exent.
>

> You're the one taking cheap shots at Americans. Does that make you
> feel better? What's an 'exent'? I have derogatory names for people for
> my amusement. I think I'll call you Shitstain. Yes, that does feel
> better, you're right. I cannot think of any Cliffy-isms right off the
> top of my head, but he was prone to gay observations. He would also
> make tennis observations that were so amateurish that is was difficult
> to believe he was a pro player (of course he *did* wear a tennis
> glove-lol). His boothmates were generally kind to him, but
> occassionally just had to step in to correct his gross errors.
> Unfortunately, I didn't take notes on these instances to cite here, but
> they were frequent over the years. I remember one time specifically
> when he was still with Stolle when it was quite obvious that Cliff was
> gonzo.

01 Feb 2005 16:19:43
Dan Cornelius
Re: Cliff Drysdale left ESPN--was he fired?

i haven't found anything about it yet on the web. i do remember
a few days ago during the OZ broadcast, i just returned to ESPN2 from
flipping channels, and heard PMac saying something to the effect of
"sorry that you're leaving, we're going to miss you", etc.
i missed the first part of whatever it was that he said.
wish i could get some solid news on it.

"Cliffie" (as Hingis used to call him) is just rock solid.
he's my favorite tennis broadcaster. my only beef with him was
when he was ragging on Muster for being one-dimentional, couldn't
win on anything but clay. fortunately, Cliff eventually changed
his mind about it, and even confessed last week on the OZ that
he was wrong about that.

i never noticed any problem on air that would suggest a physical
problem, or alcohol, etc. he's one of the few guys (along with
Bud Collins) who has a deep sense of history about the game,
and appreciates the tradition. you X-gen guys don't even know
what history is.

mimus wrote:
> On 31 Jan 2005 15:17:40 -0800, "tenista" <metta4u@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>Just curious if anybody around here knows for sure. He seemed senile
>>to me, to be honest. Or is it an alcohol problem? In any case, he's a
>>pleasant enough guy but I won't miss him on the broadcasts--he was
>>getting truly idiotic in a lot of his comments. I don't really like
>>any of ESPN's people except Courier or Chris Fowler, who's obviously
>>not a commentator. If he's got Alzheimer's or some other kind of
>>dementia, as seems possible, he's not even 64, so fairly young for
>>that. Sad for him, in any case. Not sure how many years he was with
>>ESPN.
>

> He seemed fine to me. And I'm shocked at the news. If it is news.
>
> --
> Thank you, Adelphia, for demanding $120 more a year
> for The Tennis Channel!

01 Feb 2005 14:01:41
tenista
Re: Cliff Drysdale left ESPN--was he fired?

Here is a recent quote from the ESPN Classic reshowing of the
Federer/Safin match from last week (I believe it was his last match
that he commentated). These were quotes I heard and took down, they
were so weird:

"Federer is showing that he's human after all," and then he mumbled
something like, "or maybe they're inhuman." I think this is just
idiocy--whatever the cause.

Here's another original gem:

"He's done it the old fashioned way, he's earned it." -- Now maybe
cliches like this one don't bother you, but I find them particularly
grating.

There were examples from elsewhere (not this match) that I found on
line on a search of his name--where the match is tied at 5/5 and he
says...so and so is "serving for the match." If you do an archive
search, you will find people have been saying this kind of thing about
him for years in fact. Just search this board using his name.

If you think he's good, it's because you're remembering how he used to
be in years way past, not how he is now, which is spouting cliches and
repeating the same stuff over and over ('course Mary Carillo does that
too and smirks like she's a fount of wisdom).

Enberg may not be a former tennis player but he's got his wits about
him enough to announce the score correctly. We can have somebody else
(preferably Courier or Johnny Mac) for the analysis.

And I'm a boomer not an Xer.

Dan Cornelius wrote:
> i haven't found anything about it yet on the web. i do remember
> a few days ago during the OZ broadcast, i just returned to ESPN2 from
> flipping channels, and heard PMac saying something to the effect of
> "sorry that you're leaving, we're going to miss you", etc.
> i missed the first part of whatever it was that he said.
> wish i could get some solid news on it.
>
> "Cliffie" (as Hingis used to call him) is just rock solid.
> he's my favorite tennis broadcaster. my only beef with him was
> when he was ragging on Muster for being one-dimentional, couldn't
> win on anything but clay. fortunately, Cliff eventually changed
> his mind about it, and even confessed last week on the OZ that
> he was wrong about that.
>
> i never noticed any problem on air that would suggest a physical
> problem, or alcohol, etc. he's one of the few guys (along with
> Bud Collins) who has a deep sense of history about the game,
> and appreciates the tradition. you X-gen guys don't even know
> what history is.
>
> mimus wrote:
> > On 31 Jan 2005 15:17:40 -0800, "tenista" <metta4u@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >

> >>Just curious if anybody around here knows for sure. He seemed
senile
> >>to me, to be honest. Or is it an alcohol problem? In any case,
he's a
> >>pleasant enough guy but I won't miss him on the broadcasts--he was
> >>getting truly idiotic in a lot of his comments. I don't really
like
> >>any of ESPN's people except Courier or Chris Fowler, who's
obviously
> >>not a commentator. If he's got Alzheimer's or some other kind of
> >>dementia, as seems possible, he's not even 64, so fairly young for
> >>that. Sad for him, in any case. Not sure how many years he was
with
> >>ESPN.
> >

> > He seemed fine to me. And I'm shocked at the news. If it is news.
> >
> > --
> > Thank you, Adelphia, for demanding $120 more a year
> > for The Tennis Channel!

01 Feb 2005 17:58:13
BadPony
Re: Cliff Drysdale left ESPN--was he fired?

Hear hear. I hope if he is leaving that he's going to
pop up somewhere better. The TV coverage will be less
interesting without him. If my wife and I had the choice
of two networks that covered tennis and Cliff D. was on
one, that's the one we'd choose!

Dan Cornelius wrote:

> i haven't found anything about it yet on the web. i do remember
> a few days ago during the OZ broadcast, i just returned to ESPN2 from
> flipping channels, and heard PMac saying something to the effect of
> "sorry that you're leaving, we're going to miss you", etc.
> i missed the first part of whatever it was that he said.
> wish i could get some solid news on it.
>
> "Cliffie" (as Hingis used to call him) is just rock solid.
> he's my favorite tennis broadcaster. my only beef with him was
> when he was ragging on Muster for being one-dimentional, couldn't
> win on anything but clay. fortunately, Cliff eventually changed
> his mind about it, and even confessed last week on the OZ that
> he was wrong about that.
>
> i never noticed any problem on air that would suggest a physical
> problem, or alcohol, etc. he's one of the few guys (along with
> Bud Collins) who has a deep sense of history about the game,
> and appreciates the tradition. you X-gen guys don't even know
> what history is.
>
> mimus wrote:
>
>> On 31 Jan 2005 15:17:40 -0800, "tenista" <metta4u@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>

>>> Just curious if anybody around here knows for sure. He seemed senile
>>> to me, to be honest. Or is it an alcohol problem? In any case, he's a
>>> pleasant enough guy but I won't miss him on the broadcasts--he was
>>> getting truly idiotic in a lot of his comments. I don't really like
>>> any of ESPN's people except Courier or Chris Fowler, who's obviously
>>> not a commentator. If he's got Alzheimer's or some other kind of
>>> dementia, as seems possible, he's not even 64, so fairly young for
>>> that. Sad for him, in any case. Not sure how many years he was with
>>> ESPN.
>>

>> He seemed fine to me. And I'm shocked at the news. If it is news.
>>
>> --
>> Thank you, Adelphia, for demanding $120 more a year
>> for The Tennis Channel!

01 Feb 2005 18:01:52
BadPony
Re: Cliff Drysdale left ESPN--was he fired?

Why on earth would you want someone commentating on tennis
who does not have a tennis background? Perhaps you're hoping
for NFL or baseball analogies in the commentary? I don't think you
got Drysdale's sense of humour and you say his comments
just grated you. Anglophobe or?