29 Feb 2004 04:29:12
K. Fan
Can *anyone* stop Justine HH now?

Justine: the littlelest terminator. She just won her third title of 2004
(Dubai) and is now undefeated 14-0. Who's gonna stop her now?

I'm beginning to think that Serena Williams is scared to come back on
tour. Always siting injury or sickness. Why does she even bother saying
she'll be at a tournament when you just know she's gonna pull out at the
last minute (as usual). It's almost like she's playing coy: I'm sick.
No, I'm feeling better now. Oops, I'm sick again. I'm in. Oops, no I'm
not. Now I'm in again. Nope, I'm pulling out. It never ends. It's
starting to reflect badly on her.

With the Belgian girls dominating everything and everyone--and Venus
making embarassing early exists against unseeded players---it doesn't
look likely that Serena will regain her domination any time soon, if
ever.

I enjoy Kin and Justine's games but they need a boogeyman, esp. JHH;
someone who can up the ante and throw a few curveballs. Justine's been
on cruise control too long. Booooring!

Great quote:
"The women's Top 100 increasingly resembles football's Premiership.
Venus and Serena are Arsenal and Manchester United, winning virtually
anything they put their minds to, while Clijsters and Henin-Hardenne are
Chelsea and Liverpool, cleaning up the left-overs. There is no obvious
contender waiting in the wings." -- Britain's Financial Times.

Somebody...anybody...come and give Justine some game!
--
K.
--------

29 Feb 2004 18:44:13
big benz
Re: Can *anyone* stop Justine HH now?

"K. Fan" wrote:

> Justine: the littlelest terminator. She just won her third title of 2004
> (Dubai) and is now undefeated 14-0. Who's gonna stop her now?

unless venus or serena come back i don't know that anyone will be able
to find a way to defeat her with any consistency - at least not for the
next year or two.

> I'm beginning to think that Serena Williams is scared to come back on
> tour. Always siting injury or sickness. Why does she even bother saying
> she'll be at a tournament when you just know she's gonna pull out at the
> last minute (as usual). It's almost like she's playing coy: I'm sick.
> No, I'm feeling better now. Oops, I'm sick again. I'm in. Oops, no I'm
> not. Now I'm in again. Nope, I'm pulling out. It never ends. It's
> starting to reflect badly on her.

i have been wondering about whether there might be issues of motivation
at work with serena, and with venus too for that matter. there is the
issues of playing back into the field, with players who have continued
to work on their games while venus and serena have been absent. there
is the issue of having to possibly play more than 12 or 13 tournaments
in a year to work their way back to the top of the rankings. and then
there are the issues of other things that they can do off the court,
and other issues specific to their family.

> With the Belgian girls dominating everything and everyone--and Venus
> making embarassing early exists against unseeded players---it doesn't
> look likely that Serena will regain her domination any time soon, if
> ever.

hingis seemed to derive some sense of satisfaction in this as evidenced
in the following backhanded remark that she made recently:

"People ask me about a comeback, but look at Venus.
I don't want to end up like that even if I was healthy."

29 Feb 2004 15:34:00
Michael Scarpitti

big benz <bigbenz@mindspring.com > wrote in message news:<404233A9.BF6A09E9@mindspring.com>...
> "K. Fan" wrote:
> >
> > Justine: the littlelest terminator. She just won her third title of 2004
> > (Dubai) and is now undefeated 14-0. Who's gonna stop her now?
> >

> unless venus or serena come back i don't know that anyone will be able
> to find a way to defeat her with any consistency - at least not for the
> next year or two.
>

> > I'm beginning to think that Serena Williams is scared to come back on
> > tour. Always siting injury or sickness. Why does she even bother saying
> > she'll be at a tournament when you just know she's gonna pull out at the
> > last minute (as usual). It's almost like she's playing coy: I'm sick.
> > No, I'm feeling better now. Oops, I'm sick again. I'm in. Oops, no I'm
> > not. Now I'm in again. Nope, I'm pulling out. It never ends. It's
> > starting to reflect badly on her.
> >

> i have been wondering about whether there might be issues of motivation
> at work with serena, and with venus too for that matter. there is the
> issues of playing back into the field, with players who have continued
> to work on their games while venus and serena have been absent. there
> is the issue of having to possibly play more than 12 or 13 tournaments
> in a year to work their way back to the top of the rankings. and then
> there are the issues of other things that they can do off the court,
> and other issues specific to their family.
>

> > With the Belgian girls dominating everything and everyone--and Venus
> > making embarassing early exists against unseeded players---it doesn't
> > look likely that Serena will regain her domination any time soon, if
> > ever.
> >

> hingis seemed to derive some sense of satisfaction in this as evidenced
> in the following backhanded remark that she made recently:
>
> "People ask me about a comeback, but look at Venus.
> I don't want to end up like that even if I was healthy."

What was everybody saying about the Williams sisters dominating
everything for 10 years? Hardy-har-har-har....

29 Feb 2004 23:42:27

Michael Scarpitti wrote:

> What was everybody saying about the Williams sisters dominating
> everything for 10 years? Hardy-har-har-har....

was anyone saying that they would actually *play* for 10 years?

29 Feb 2004 19:41:55
Michael Scarpitti

big benz <bigbenz@mindspring.com > wrote in message news:<40427990.558158A1@mindspring.com>...
> Michael Scarpitti wrote:
> >
> > What was everybody saying about the Williams sisters dominating
> > everything for 10 years? Hardy-har-har-har....
> >

> was anyone saying that they would actually *play* for 10 years?

Yes....

01 Mar 2004 17:51:32
Luke Croll
Re: Can *anyone* stop Justine HH now?

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 18:44:13 GMT, big benz <bigbenz@mindspring.com >
wrote:
>hingis seemed to derive some sense of satisfaction in this as evidenced
>in the following backhanded remark that she made recently:
>
> "People ask me about a comeback, but look at Venus.
> I don't want to end up like that even if I was healthy."

Yeah. That struck me as quite nasty. She's completely written Venus
off there, when I think there's a good chance she can still get back
up there, provided she stays healthy.
--
Luke Croll
The alt.books.dean-koontz FAQ is at:

03 Mar 2004 17:21:12
David Henry

"Luke Croll" <Lukecroll@yahoo.com > wrote in message
> On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 18:44:13 GMT, big benz <bigbenz@mindspring.com>
> wrote:
> >hingis seemed to derive some sense of satisfaction in this as evidenced
> >in the following backhanded remark that she made recently:
> >
> > "People ask me about a comeback, but look at Venus.
> > I don't want to end up like that even if I was healthy."
>
> Yeah. That struck me as quite nasty. She's completely written Venus
> off there, when I think there's a good chance she can still get back
> up there, provided she stays healthy.

Typical Hingis, really. Nothing more.

Venus's form after this layoff is quite surprising though, considering how
well she came back after missing the entire first half of 2000. She was in
tears after losing to Dokic 1 and 1 on clay, then couldn't be stopped for
the second half of the year.

Writing off Venus is a mistake. The ability is still there, as we saw in the
first two rounds of Melbourne. It's just a matter of having it click again.

I think you have to look at the comeback of Graf in '98. It took a while for
Steffi to get moving. She had horrendous slam defeats (for her standards),
but came back strong at the start of 99 and gained steam the entire year.

Venus will be back. It's just a matter of time. Maybe her return to form
will coincide with her sister's return?

Dave