09 May 2007 09:46:35
Fan
Bodo is just some jerk who gets paid to write about tennis

How many slams did the big mouth win?

09 May 2007 09:58:25
Re: Bodo is just some jerk who gets paid to write about tennis

On May 9, 11:46 am, Fan <Turnagain...@hotmail.com > wrote:
> How many slams did the big mouth win?

Reading Bodo is a sheer waste of time. His understanding of tennis is
as shallow as a 7 year old who's just started his first tennis
lessons.
sorry my apoligies to the 7 year old kids... some of them are more
sharp than Bodo on their understanding of the game.

09 May 2007 10:08:29

On May 9, 5:58 pm, tennis41...@yahoo.com wrote:
> On May 9, 11:46 am, Fan <Turnagain...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > How many slams did the big mouth win?
>
> Reading Bodo is a sheer waste of time. His understanding of tennis is
> as shallow as a 7 year old who's just started his first tennis
> lessons.
> sorry my apoligies to the 7 year old kids... some of them are more
> sharp than Bodo on their understanding of the game.

How highly is Bodo rated as a writer on the game? I only really know
of him through his TennisWorld blog.

He did write "Courts of Babylon" which seems to have got rave reviews
on Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Courts-Babylon-Peter-Bodo/dp/0684812967/ref=sr_1_3/102-0240247-9506503?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1178730338&sr=1-3

although I've never read it.

09 May 2007 10:14:41
fearsomeforehand

On May 9, 1:08 pm, gregor...@hotmail.com wrote:
> On May 9, 5:58 pm, tennis41...@yahoo.com wrote:
>
> > On May 9, 11:46 am, Fan <Turnagain...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > How many slams did the big mouth win?
>
> > Reading Bodo is a sheer waste of time. His understanding of tennis is
> > as shallow as a 7 year old who's just started his first tennis
> > lessons.
> > sorry my apoligies to the 7 year old kids... some of them are more
> > sharp than Bodo on their understanding of the game.
>
> How highly is Bodo rated as a writer on the game? I only really know
> of him through his TennisWorld blog.
>
> He did write "Courts of Babylon" which seems to have got rave reviews
> on Amazonhttp://www.amazon.com/Courts-Babylon-Peter-Bodo/dp/0684812967/ref=sr_...
>
> although I've never read it.

I do not rate him highly at all. He is the kind who likes to stir up
controversy. But starved for good tennis writers, I visit his blog
regularly. I have rarely seen him dissect a match intelligently. Steve
Tignor who also writes on tennisworld is a much better reader of the
game.

09 May 2007 10:45:15
andrew.reys@gmail.com
Re: Bodo is just some jerk who gets paid to write about tennis

Was Bodo the guy who was pronouncing Djokovic the 'perfect player' and
next giant of the game shortly after Miami and IW?

09 May 2007 21:37:53
EFill4Zaggin
Re: Bodo is just some jerk who gets paid to write about tennis

On 9 May 2007 10:14:41 -0700, fearsomeforehand
<FearsomeForehand@gmail.com > wrote:

>On May 9, 1:08 pm, gregor...@hotmail.com wrote:

>> > Reading Bodo is a sheer waste of time. His understanding of tennis is
>> > as shallow as a 7 year old who's just started his first tennis
>> > lessons.
>> > sorry my apoligies to the 7 year old kids... some of them are more
>> > sharp than Bodo on their understanding of the game.
>>
>> How highly is Bodo rated as a writer on the game? I only really know
>> of him through his TennisWorld blog.
>>
>> He did write "Courts of Babylon" which seems to have got rave reviews
>> on Amazonhttp://www.amazon.com/Courts-Babylon-Peter-Bodo/dp/0684812967/ref=sr_...
>>
>> although I've never read it.
>

>I do not rate him highly at all. He is the kind who likes to stir up
>controversy. But starved for good tennis writers, I visit his blog
>regularly. I have rarely seen him dissect a match intelligently. Steve
>Tignor who also writes on tennisworld is a much better reader of the
>game.

What do you think of Wertheim?

10 May 2007 01:07:55
Sakari Lund

On 9 May 2007 09:58:25 -0700, tennis41ife@yahoo.com wrote:

>On May 9, 11:46 am, Fan <Turnagain...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> How many slams did the big mouth win?
>
>Reading Bodo is a sheer waste of time. His understanding of tennis is
>as shallow as a 7 year old who's just started his first tennis
>lessons.
>sorry my apoligies to the 7 year old kids... some of them are more
>sharp than Bodo on their understanding of the game.

I hear he is a very significant tennis writer...

10 May 2007 08:19:25
David W

"Fan" <TurnagainArm@hotmail.com > wrote in message
> How many slams did the big mouth win?

So, you have no right to express an opinion on tennis unless you have won slams.

A big clean-out of r.s.t. is in order.

09 May 2007 15:43:07

On 9 May, 23:19, "David W" <n...@email.provided > wrote:
> "Fan" <Turnagain...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > How many slams did the big mouth win?
>
> So, you have no right to express an opinion on tennis unless you have won slams.
>
> A big clean-out of r.s.t. is in order.

Shit! Looks like Whisper would be one of the few left here, as he is
one of the few top players around - took 5 games off the guy who beat
a three-time Wimbledon champ.

09 May 2007 18:03:27
Fan

On May 10, 12:19 am, "David W" <n...@email.provided > wrote:
> "Fan" <Turnagain...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > How many slams did the big mouth win?
>
> So, you have no right to express an opinion on tennis unless you have won slams.

Reporters think that they can dish it out without any responsibility
for the garbage they produce and they seldom are called on it. I read
his report on Clijsters, it was a load of crap, and it was dripping
with hate. I took exception to the entire article (this is the last
time I read any of his garbage) but the one slam wonder comment was
especially stupid and it justifies asking about his accomplishments.

> A big clean-out of r.s.t. is in order.

He would be ok for rst but nothing more.

09 May 2007 18:31:30
fearsomeforehand

On May 9, 4:37 pm, EFill4Zaggin <EFill4Zag...@hotmail.com > wrote:
> On 9 May 2007 10:14:41 -0700, fearsomeforehand
>

> <FearsomeForeh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> How highly is Bodo rated as a writer on the game? I only really know
> >> of him through his TennisWorld blog.
>
> >> He did write "Courts of Babylon" which seems to have got rave reviews
> >> on Amazonhttp://www.amazon.com/Courts-Babylon-Peter-Bodo/dp/0684812967/ref=sr_...
>
> >> although I've never read it.
>
> >I do not rate him highly at all. He is the kind who likes to stir up
> >controversy. But starved for good tennis writers, I visit his blog
> >regularly. I have rarely seen him dissect a match intelligently. Steve
> >Tignor who also writes on tennisworld is a much better reader of the
> >game.
>
> What do you think of Wertheim?- Hide quoted text -

he's much better than Bodo. He has his biases but he tries to play
fair most of the time. And yes, talks about tennis too. :)

09 May 2007 18:31:55
fearsomeforehand
Re: Bodo is just some jerk who gets paid to write about tennis

On May 9, 1:45 pm, "andrew.r...@gmail.com" <andrew.r...@gmail.com >
wrote:
> Was Bodo the guy who was pronouncing Djokovic the 'perfect player' and
> next giant of the game shortly after Miami and IW?

to be fair to Bodo, I think he did that before Djokovic won Miami..but
yes.

10 May 2007 16:50:34
Whisper

fearsomeforehand wrote:

> I do not rate him highly at all. He is the kind who likes to stir up
> controversy. But starved for good tennis writers, I visit his blog
> regularly. I have rarely seen him dissect a match intelligently. Steve
> Tignor who also writes on tennisworld is a much better reader of the
> game.

Dissecting bumrooting is like dissecting paint drying in the sun.

10 May 2007 17:37:55
Whisper

EFill4Zaggin wrote:

>> I do not rate him highly at all. He is the kind who likes to stir up
>> controversy. But starved for good tennis writers, I visit his blog
>> regularly. I have rarely seen him dissect a match intelligently. Steve
>> Tignor who also writes on tennisworld is a much better reader of the
>> game.
>
> What do you think of Wertheim?

Lacks tennis knowledge.

10 May 2007 17:52:45
Whisper

Sakari Lund wrote:
> On 9 May 2007 09:58:25 -0700, tennis41ife@yahoo.com wrote:
>
>> On May 9, 11:46 am, Fan <Turnagain...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>> How many slams did the big mouth win?
>> Reading Bodo is a sheer waste of time. His understanding of tennis is
>> as shallow as a 7 year old who's just started his first tennis
>> lessons.
>> sorry my apoligies to the 7 year old kids... some of them are more
>> sharp than Bodo on their understanding of the game.
>
> I hear he is a very significant tennis writer...

Some comments from readers of his books;

Bodo's look at the Open Era of tennis (1968-present) is the best in
existence. This book is detailed, probing, funny, and has a historical
perspective usually missing from books in this genre. I particularly
like his psychological analysis of several famous players. Oh, and Bodo
knows his tennis, too, and has interesting things to say about the
strengths and weaknesses of many of the game's stars. This is really a
cut above almost every other book written about the sport.

The author clearly is a knowledgeable insider of long standing and
speaks with authority and personal acquaintance with the outstanding
figures in the era of professional tennis. A fascinating insight into
the personality, motivation, physical and moral strengths and weaknesses
of the outstanding players of the modern era. No holds are barred and
Peter Bodo offers his personal constructive suggestions to deal with
what he views as the major problems on both the men's and women's
circuits.A spellbinder and a must for any true tennis buff.I loved it

This book was so easy to read- the reader is swept into the intrigue
invovlved in the women's professional tennis tour. Peter Bodo is not
afraid to ask important questions: should players forgo high school and
college to attempt to cash in? What sacrifices are called for to produce
a champion? Who controls the money in the women's game?
More importantly, Bodo interviews his subjects and lets the reader
understand something of their personalities as well as their approach to
tennis.
An exciting, fun book that makes you think.

This is the best book on this subject. The depth of the sociological
analysis of the Open era is unprecedented. The strength of this book is
due to Bodo's back and forth dual approach. In one chapter, he will
paint a broad and often scathing analytical brush on one aspect of the
Open era. He may even focus on the change in character of one Gran Slam
tournament (Wimbledon, U.S. Open). But, the very next chapter he will
likely focus on one single star and essentially write a biography about
them based on his multitude of interviews he had with most of them.

Prior to the Open era, Bodo explains how tennis stood for sportsmanship,
ethics, and educated well-rounded personalities catering to a
sophisticated public. As a case in point, he mentions the many members
of the Australian dynasty in the 50s, 60s, and early 70s who were all
models of sportsmanship, and humility. They also did well in their
tennis after life. These included legendary names like Laver, Rosewall,
Emerson, and Newcomb among many others. On the American side, you had a
series of college-educated players with mature personalities, including
Dennis Ralston, Arthur Ashe, Charlie Pasarell, Stan Smith, and Bob Lutz.
Some of them crossed over the Open era. But, they came from an old guard
when tennis and its stars stood for something different than after the
Open era.

The Open era officially started in 1968. But, per Bodo it kicked into
gear in 1976 with the advent of Bjorn Borg, and Connors. All of a
sudden, the game became corrupted by relentless commercialization. The
money got so huge that it killed sportsmanship, humility, education, and
well roundedness. The college game disappeared. If you are good enough
for the pros at 18, forget college. All of a sudden tennis is
manufactured as a sensational show that is becoming more like pro mud
wrestling than gentlemanly tennis. The stars have become self-adulating,
spoiled, uneducated, neurotic, unbalanced millionaire teenagers who will
do anything to win a match. Their conduct is symmetrically opposite to
the Australian heroes of yesteryears (Laver, Newcomb, etc...). But, the
new stars are considered "colorful" and good for Nielsen ratings. The
better-adjusted old guard sportsmanship is considered dull and
unmarketable. Pete Sampras is a case in point. He was one of the
greatest players of all times. He was also among the very few and
ultimate sportsman in his era. But, instead of being adulated and
emulated he was criticized by the public and ignored by the sponsors as
being too dull.

What is really interesting about the mini biographies Bodo writes about
the super stars is how unexpected they are. Often, the villains come
across so much better once you get to know them better. Connors, Lendl,
McEnroe, and Seles all come across as much more balanced, and more
interesting than you would expect. They seem much more likeable than
their on court persona. Some of their rivalries also make for a
fascinating read. On the other hand, everyone's good guy Borg is a
pathological Greek tragedy. Of course Borg was an incredible sportsman
much like the Australians were. But, he was a monolithic truly
dysfunctional character who could not see his place anywhere in the
world outside of being number one. Out of all former champions,
retirement has been most cruel to Borg because he had nothing to fall
back on. He had no side interest, and no life to speak off outside
tennis. He made an embarrassing attempt to return to tennis playing with
wood racquets in an era of carbon graphite and Teflon. He failed
miserably loosing to journeymen.

Bodo's book stops in the early 90s. He acknowledges at the end of the
book that the Open era seemed to have turned the corner with a more
sportsmanlike young emerging generation of American champions (Chang,
Courier, Agassi, and Sampras). The great generation of emerging
champions Bodo mentioned all have retired (except for Agassi, and as of
this writing he may be months from doing so). They have been replaced by
a group of interesting foreigners who may prove ultimately better for
the game as the talent is more diversified.

Bodo's book even outclasses a series of excellent books on the same
subject, including: "Bad News for McEnroe" by Bill Scanlon, and "Tennis
Confidential" by Paul Fein. "You Can't Be Serious" by John McEnroe is in
a lesser league because as one can expect it is so much more
self-centered than the others. Yet, it is still an excellent and very
entertaining book. This tells you how much I have appreciated all these
books, and Bodo's above all.

10 May 2007 18:17:13
Whisper

fearsomeforehand wrote:
> On May 9, 4:37 pm, EFill4Zaggin <EFill4Zag...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> On 9 May 2007 10:14:41 -0700, fearsomeforehand
>>

>> <FearsomeForeh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I do not rate him highly at all. He is the kind who likes to stir up
>>> controversy. But starved for good tennis writers, I visit his blog
>>> regularly. I have rarely seen him dissect a match intelligently. Steve
>>> Tignor who also writes on tennisworld is a much better reader of the
>>> game.
>> What do you think of Wertheim?- Hide quoted text -

> he's much better than Bodo. He has his biases but he tries to play
> fair most of the time. And yes, talks about tennis too. :)

I haven't read a lot from him, but the bits I saw proved his knowledge
was superficial at best. Sounds like a guy who's never played the game.

10 May 2007 08:50:51
Fan

On May 10, 9:52 am, Whisper <beaver...@ozemail.com.au > wrote:
> Sakari Lund wrote:

> >> Reading Bodo is a sheer waste of time. His understanding of tennis is
> >> as shallow as a 7 year old who's just started his first tennis
> >> lessons.
> >> sorry my apoligies to the 7 year old kids... some of them are more
> >> sharp than Bodo on their understanding of the game.
>
> > I hear he is a very significant tennis writer...
>
> Some comments from readers of his books;

<snip >

I wonder how much he paid someone for the promo drivel?

11 May 2007 19:03:30
Whisper

Fan wrote:
> On May 10, 9:52 am, Whisper <beaver...@ozemail.com.au> wrote:
>> Sakari Lund wrote:
>>> I hear he is a very significant tennis writer...
>> Some comments from readers of his books;
>
> <snip>
>
> I wonder how much he paid someone for the promo drivel?

Pathetic comeback.