28 Nov 2003 14:26:00
Whisper
2 sets all - 6-3 3-6 6-3 6-7......

Hewitt got some bad calls at 4-3, so deserved to win the 4th set.

Here we go again...... ; )

28 Nov 2003 14:30:47
VinB
Re: 2 sets all - 6-3 3-6 6-3 6-7......

> Hewitt got some bad calls at 4-3, so deserved to win the 4th set.
>
> Here we go again...... ; )

These celebrations of his are getting ridiculous, he actually fell to his
knees and screamed after one game, showed more emotion then Federer did when
he won wimbledon :)

28 Nov 2003 03:56:02
Frank Fontaine
Re: 2 sets all - 6-3 3-6 6-3 6-7......

Makes tennis exciting. If Hewitt can win, and beat the likes of
Ferrero and Federer in Davis cup, then he will be once again up there
with the big boyz of tennis.

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 14:30:47 +1100, "VinB" <noone@good > wrote:

>> Hewitt got some bad calls at 4-3, so deserved to win the 4th set.
>>
>> Here we go again...... ; )
>
>These celebrations of his are getting ridiculous, he actually fell to his
>knees and screamed after one game, showed more emotion then Federer did when
>he won wimbledon :)

28 Nov 2003 14:58:06
VinB
Re: 2 sets all - 6-3 3-6 6-3 6-7......

> Makes tennis exciting. If Hewitt can win, and beat the likes of
> Ferrero and Federer in Davis cup, then he will be once again up there
> with the big boyz of tennis.

Lets see him do the same at a slam then I will acknowledge it - besides
beating Ferrero on grass is no great achievement and Federer plain choked,
the sort of choke that happens once in 1000 matches.

28 Nov 2003 04:04:20
Frank Fontaine
Re: 2 sets all - 6-3 3-6 6-3 6-7......

If my memory serves me well, Hewitt won the US Open by beating Sampras
and Roddick along the way. Not to mention his Wimby title and 2
Masters Cup crowns beating the top 8 in the world. I think he's good
enough to compete with the big boyz.

I hope he can beats Ferrero today, that's for sure.

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 14:58:06 +1100, "VinB" <noone@good > wrote:

>> Makes tennis exciting. If Hewitt can win, and beat the likes of
>> Ferrero and Federer in Davis cup, then he will be once again up there
>> with the big boyz of tennis.
>
>Lets see him do the same at a slam then I will acknowledge it - besides
>beating Ferrero on grass is no great achievement and Federer plain choked,
>the sort of choke that happens once in 1000 matches.

28 Nov 2003 15:05:15
VinB
Re: 2 sets all - 6-3 3-6 6-3 6-7......

> I think he's good
> enough to compete with the big boyz.

as I said lets him prove it next year at the slams

28 Nov 2003 04:07:41
Amphorae
Re: 2 sets all - 6-3 3-6 6-3 6-7......

If you don't think that winning a five-setter in a Davis Cup final is big
league tennis, then you don't know shit about tennis! Congratulations to
Lleyton and the Australian team on a great, great victory.

"VinB" <noone@good > wrote in message
> > I think he's good
> > enough to compete with the big boyz.
>
> as I said lets him prove it next year at the slams

28 Nov 2003 15:08:53
VinB
Re: 2 sets all - 6-3 3-6 6-3 6-7......

> If you don't think that winning a five-setter in a Davis Cup final is big
> league tennis, then you don't know shit about tennis!

Ferrero is not one of the big boys on grass

28 Nov 2003 04:14:18
Amphorae
Re: 2 sets all - 6-3 3-6 6-3 6-7......

That's so feeble, it's pathetic.

> > If you don't think that winning a five-setter in a Davis Cup final is
big
> > league tennis, then you don't know shit about tennis!
>
> Ferrero is not one of the big boys on grass

28 Nov 2003 15:18:15
VinB
Re: 2 sets all - 6-3 3-6 6-3 6-7......

> That's so feeble, it's pathetic.

As pathetic as Ferreros 2002 Wimbledon straight set loss to Jeff Morrison?

27 Nov 2003 22:47:13
Steve Jaros
Re: 2 sets all - 6-3 3-6 6-3 6-7......

> > Makes tennis exciting. If Hewitt can win, and beat the likes of
> > Ferrero and Federer in Davis cup, then he will be once again up there
> > with the big boyz of tennis.
>
> Lets see him do the same at a slam then I will acknowledge it

he won wimbledon and the us open and was the first guy since sampras in 95
to hold both titles at the same time. not bad. i don't think he has anything
to prove to you...

--
"if federal judges have the final word over its meaning,
the Constitution would be a mere thing of wax in the hands

- Thomas Jefferson

27 Nov 2003 22:48:27
Steve Jaros
Re: 2 sets all - 6-3 3-6 6-3 6-7......

Thanks for keeping us updated - we're not getting coverage in my part of the
USA so keep the scores coming. Also, thanks for putting the score in the
subject header so i get it instantly without having to look in the post...

--

"Whisper" <itchybeaver99@tpg.com.au > wrote in message

> Hewitt got some bad calls at 4-3, so deserved to win the 4th set.
>
> Here we go again...... ; )

28 Nov 2003 15:49:46
VinB
Re: 2 sets all - 6-3 3-6 6-3 6-7......

> he won wimbledon and the us open and was the first guy since sampras in 95
> to hold both titles at the same time. not bad. i don't think he has
anything
> to prove to you...

Still has to prove he can still make slam finals and hasnt fizzled out like
Hingis

28 Nov 2003 15:45:55
Brissie
Re: 2 sets all - 6-3 3-6 6-3 6-7......

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 04:04:20 GMT, Frank Fontaine <queue@dogmail.com >
wrote:

>If my memory serves me well, Hewitt won the US Open by beating Sampras
>and Roddick along the way. Not to mention his Wimby title and 2
>Masters Cup crowns beating the top 8 in the world. I think he's good
>enough to compete with the big boyz.

He was helped by That Call against Roddick, which cost Roddick the
match.

28 Nov 2003 15:47:10
Brissie
Re: 2 sets all - 6-3 3-6 6-3 6-7......

>Thanks for keeping us updated - we're not getting coverage in my part of the
>USA so keep the scores coming. Also, thanks for putting the score in the
>subject header so i get it instantly without having to look in the post...

I thought the DC final was live on ESPN in the US? And if so, I
thought that ESPN was a fully national service and not localised like
Fox Sports is.

28 Nov 2003 06:01:29
Amphorae
Re: 2 sets all - 6-3 3-6 6-3 6-7......

Nope, the final is being covered live by the Tennis Channel, which is
available in a grand total of 4% of all American households. . .

"Brissie" <brissie@zwallet.com > wrote in message
> >Thanks for keeping us updated - we're not getting coverage in my part of
the
> >USA so keep the scores coming. Also, thanks for putting the score in the
> >subject header so i get it instantly without having to look in the
post...

> I thought the DC final was live on ESPN in the US? And if so, I
> thought that ESPN was a fully national service and not localised like
> Fox Sports is.

28 Nov 2003 06:02:55
Amphorae
Re: 2 sets all - 6-3 3-6 6-3 6-7......

No, Roddick's childish outburst and mental meltdown cost him the match. . .

> On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 04:04:20 GMT, Frank Fontaine <queue@dogmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >If my memory serves me well, Hewitt won the US Open by beating Sampras
> >and Roddick along the way. Not to mention his Wimby title and 2
> >Masters Cup crowns beating the top 8 in the world. I think he's good
> >enough to compete with the big boyz.
>
> He was helped by That Call against Roddick, which cost Roddick the
> match.

28 Nov 2003 19:40:02
Whisper
Re: 2 sets all - 6-3 3-6 6-3 6-7......

"Frank Fontaine" <queue@dogmail.com > wrote in message
> Makes tennis exciting. If Hewitt can win, and beat the likes of
> Ferrero and Federer in Davis cup, then he will be once again up there
> with the big boyz of tennis.

His slam winning days are over, but the DC format suits his style (peak for
1 or 2 matches & give it 100%). Sure he came within a whisker of losing to
Fed & Ferrero, but somehow he ends up winning..... he sure makes hard work
of it.

I note Fed/Ferrero both get down on themselves pretty quick when it's not
going their way - it's why Roddick will end up winning far more slams....

28 Nov 2003 19:44:08
Whisper
Re: 2 sets all - 6-3 3-6 6-3 6-7......

Yes, great win. Amazing these top players like Fer/Fed fold so easily in
5th set....?

"Amphorae" <Amphorae@att.net > wrote in message
> If you don't think that winning a five-setter in a Davis Cup final is big
> league tennis, then you don't know shit about tennis! Congratulations to
> Lleyton and the Australian team on a great, great victory.
>
> "VinB" <noone@good> wrote in message
> > > I think he's good
> > > enough to compete with the big boyz.
> >
> > as I said lets him prove it next year at the slams

28 Nov 2003 19:44:33
Whisper
Re: 2 sets all - 6-3 3-6 6-3 6-7......

"VinB" <noone@good > wrote in message

> > If you don't think that winning a five-setter in a Davis Cup final is
big
> > league tennis, then you don't know shit about tennis!
>
> Ferrero is not one of the big boys on grass

..but Fed is on hardcourt.... ; )

28 Nov 2003 00:46:03
David Henry
Re: 2 sets all - 6-3 3-6 6-3 6-7......

"VinB" <noone@good > wrote in message news:<3fc6c805$0$13682$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au>...
> > Makes tennis exciting. If Hewitt can win, and beat the likes of
> > Ferrero and Federer in Davis cup, then he will be once again up there
> > with the big boyz of tennis.
>
> Lets see him do the same at a slam then I will acknowledge it - besides
> beating Ferrero on grass is no great achievement and Federer plain choked,
> the sort of choke that happens once in 1000 matches.

Hewitt did go on to win 6-2 in the fifth set.

For all the talk of Hewitt being down and out, this win over JC
Ferrero makes him 4-1 vs. the top 8 in Houston this year (1-1 Ferrero;
1-0 Coria, 1-0 Federer; 1-0 Moya).

The last two wins over Federer and Ferrero were impressive because
Hewitt wasn't match tough coming into those matches. Yet, he overcame
the best of opponents in the biggest of situations.

Let's see how he does against Moya should their fifth rubber count
(Moya d. Flipper in 4). That will be a telling match.

Dave

28 Nov 2003 19:51:09
Whisper
Re: 2 sets all - 6-3 3-6 6-3 6-7......

"Steve Jaros" <estebanjjj@covxrtyv.com > wrote in message

> >"VinB" <noone@good> wrote in message
> >
> > > Makes tennis exciting. If Hewitt can win, and beat the likes of
> > > Ferrero and Federer in Davis cup, then he will be once again up there
> > > with the big boyz of tennis.
> >
> > Lets see him do the same at a slam then I will acknowledge it
>
> he won wimbledon and the us open and was the first guy since sampras in 95
> to hold both titles at the same time. not bad. i don't think he has
anything
> to prove to you...

No, but I think winning another slam would be almost impossible. I would
love to see him win another one. Mentally he has to be the toughest player,
possibly ever. His tennis talents are relatively modest, yet he just stands
up there & throws everything at you until you kill him....

28 Nov 2003 20:47:46
Whisper
Re: 2 sets all - 6-3 3-6 6-3 6-7......

"David Henry" <telemachus7@msn.com > wrote in message
> "VinB" <noone@good> wrote in message
news:<3fc6c805$0$13682$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au >...
> > > Makes tennis exciting. If Hewitt can win, and beat the likes of
> > > Ferrero and Federer in Davis cup, then he will be once again up there
> > > with the big boyz of tennis.
> >
> > Lets see him do the same at a slam then I will acknowledge it - besides
> > beating Ferrero on grass is no great achievement and Federer plain
choked,
> > the sort of choke that happens once in 1000 matches.
>
> Hewitt did go on to win 6-2 in the fifth set.
>
> For all the talk of Hewitt being down and out, this win over JC
> Ferrero makes him 4-1 vs. the top 8 in Houston this year (1-1 Ferrero;
> 1-0 Coria, 1-0 Federer; 1-0 Moya).
>
> The last two wins over Federer and Ferrero were impressive because
> Hewitt wasn't match tough coming into those matches. Yet, he overcame
> the best of opponents in the biggest of situations.

Yes, but how much closer could he come to losing? Reminds me of my golf
game yesterday - 6 over h'cap with 6 to play, & finished 1 under (5 pars & a
birdie last 6 holes).... : )

> Let's see how he does against Moya should their fifth rubber count
> (Moya d. Flipper in 4). That will be a telling match.
>
> Dave

28 Nov 2003 09:45:49
Steve Jaros
Re: 2 sets all - 6-3 3-6 6-3 6-7......

> > he won wimbledon and the us open and was the first guy since sampras in
95
> > to hold both titles at the same time. not bad. i don't think he has
> anything
> > to prove to you...
> >

> No, but I think winning another slam would be almost impossible.

very unlikely, for sure.

--
"if federal judges have the final word over its meaning,
the Constitution would be a mere thing of wax in the hands
of the judiciary, which they may twist and shape into any form
they please".

- Thomas Jefferson

28 Nov 2003 21:47:55
Hops

> > > he won wimbledon and the us open and was the first guy since sampras
in
> 95
> > > to hold both titles at the same time. not bad. i don't think he has
> > anything
> > > to prove to you...
> > >

> > No, but I think winning another slam would be almost impossible.
>
> very unlikely, for sure.

jeez, you people ... I'm not a Hewitt fan one way or the other, but he will
win another slam.

28 Nov 2003 17:16:30
Steve Jaros
Re: 2 sets all - 6-3 3-6 6-3 6-7......

> > very unlikely, for sure.
>
> jeez, you people ... I'm not a Hewitt fan one way or the other, but he
will
> win another slam.

we'll see about that.

29 Nov 2003 01:49:18

> > > very unlikely, for sure.
> >
> > jeez, you people ... I'm not a Hewitt fan one way or the other, but he
> will
> > win another slam.
>
> we'll see about that.

Don't hold your breath .. we've got 5-6 years to be proven right one way or
the other.

29 Nov 2003 13:59:39
Brissie
Re: 2 sets all - 6-3 3-6 6-3 6-7......

>jeez, you people ... I'm not a Hewitt fan one way or the other, but he will
>win another slam.

I'll be stunned if he reaces another GF semi

29 Nov 2003 04:04:08
Hops
Re: 2 sets all - 6-3 3-6 6-3 6-7......

> >jeez, you people ... I'm not a Hewitt fan one way or the other, but he
will
> >win another slam.
>
> I'll be stunned if he reaces another GF semi

Prepare to be stunned.

29 Nov 2003 15:31:54
Whisper
Re: 2 sets all - 6-3 3-6 6-3 6-7......

"Hops" <kev8128nospam@yahoo.com > wrote in message

> "Steve Jaros" <estebanjjj@covxrtyv.com> wrote in message
> in
> > 95
> > > anything
> > > >

> > > No, but I think winning another slam would be almost impossible.
> >
> > very unlikely, for sure.
>
> jeez, you people ... I'm not a Hewitt fan one way or the other, but he
will
> win another slam.

Bet?

29 Nov 2003 15:39:56
Whisper
Re: 2 sets all - 6-3 3-6 6-3 6-7......

"Steve Jaros" <estebanjjj@covxrtyv.com > wrote in message
> > > very unlikely, for sure.
> >
> > jeez, you people ... I'm not a Hewitt fan one way or the other, but he
> will
> > win another slam.
>
> we'll see about that.

Yes, I respect the little bugger & would be honoured to see him lift another
slam trophy - but the odds are hugely against it. Yes his record looks
superb on the surface, but dig just a little & we see;

- Shockingly bad call at worst time handed him match v Roddick at '01 USO.
- Incredibly soft draw at Wim '02.
- Fed was 2 pts from beating him 7-5 6-2 6-4 in DC...
- Barely squeezing past Ferrero on 'grass' (only 3 days practice compared to
2 months for Hewitt) is probably not that impressive after all?....
- beaten by nobody 1str Wimbledon this yr.

It's not impossible, but I would be genuinely shocked.... : )

29 Nov 2003 16:14:21
VinB
Re: 2 sets all - 6-3 3-6 6-3 6-7......

I still dont believe we can trust DC results completely. Ferrero got
thrashed by Calleri in DC a few months ago in a live rubber..........fancy
seeing that at the FO

and a couple of months ago Ferrero routinely beat Hewitt at a GS on a
similar fast surface

29 Nov 2003 20:24:05
Hops
Re: 2 sets all - 6-3 3-6 6-3 6-7......

> "Hops" <kev8128nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > jeez, you people ... I'm not a Hewitt fan one way or the other, but he
> will
> > win another slam.
>

> Bet?

Not realistic, could be 5-6 years before we know for sure. If you want to
do another Nalbandian bet for Hewitt - he'll reach a GS SF in the next two
years - I'm good for that.

30 Nov 2003 09:47:43

> "Whisper" <itchybeaver99@tpg.com.au> wrote in message
> >
> > "Hops" <kev8128nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>

> > > jeez, you people ... I'm not a Hewitt fan one way or the other, but he
> > will
> > > win another slam.
> >

> > Bet?
>
> Not realistic, could be 5-6 years before we know for sure. If you want to
> do another Nalbandian bet for Hewitt - he'll reach a GS SF in the next two
> years - I'm good for that.

Hmm, he may get to 1, but what the hell, you're on.... ; )