18 Aug 2006 23:33:24
Lyle Walsh
thigh and but pads

well its that time of the year that you can find these in the stores. I
find this to be much lighter and more manauverable than the gel pads. Of
course you pull out the thigh pockets and have to wear it under pants but
for 1/3 the cost I still like this better than any other pads I've tried.
FWIW
Lyle
http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/sm-mcdavid-hexpad-football-compression-girdle--pi-1769884.html

19 Aug 2006 08:42:35
Gonna Skate
Re: thigh and but pads

Lyle Walsh wrote:
> well its that time of the year that you can find these in the stores. I
> find this to be much lighter and more manauverable than the gel pads. Of
> course you pull out the thigh pockets and have to wear it under pants but
> for 1/3 the cost I still like this better than any other pads I've tried.
> FWIW
> Lyle
> http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/sm-mcdavid-hexpad-football-compression-girdle--pi-1769884.html

Which version of these do you like? Have you ever tried the knee pads?
What do they attach to?

19 Aug 2006 14:01:21
Lyle Walsh
Re: thigh and but pads

>> http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/sm-mcdavid-hexpad-football-compression-girdle--pi-1769884.html
>
> Which version of these do you like? Have you ever tried the knee pads?
> What do they attach to?

I'm rather picky about my pads. The link is for the tail bone and hip
pointer pads I like to wear. They also serve as compression shorts
preventing some groin and hamstring pulls. I undid the stitching of the
thigh pad pockets and took them out because my feet kept going into them as
I put them on. I wash them with regular laundry and air dry. They fit big
so try them on if possible, don't buy them too small though or the hip pads
won't go down far enough.

For knee pads I will only wear those that have cloth or elastic behind the
knee and have dense foam or neoprene to pretect the knee. In the past I'v
had good luck with softball sliding pads but not this year. With my current
knee injuries, I'm using thicker knee pads (which saved me once last week!).
I like these:
http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2227741&cp=2367820.711661.694143&parentPage=family&searchId=17152971241
if you don't mind polyester next to your skin.

This pair is too bulky for me but felt good:
http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1926365&cp=1179269.694143&view=all&parentPage=family&searchId=17153006261

I find "perfect" knee pads are impossible to find, so I check the sporting
goods stores for new models whenever I go in. Hope this helps
Lyle

P.S. For gloves, my favorites are "mechanics gloves", available at hardware
and big box retail stores, as they are light and breath well, have leather
fingers and palms and nice and stretchy enough for my size 10 palm.

19 Aug 2006 18:46:55
William Schneider
Re: thigh and but pads

>> For gloves, my favorites are "mechanics gloves", available at hardware
and big box retail stores,

Being cheap (my mother called it being "practical"), I use the $1/pair brown
cloth gloves from the miscellaneous section of the grocery store. They get
holes in them easily when the fabric gets pinched between skate blade and
guard, but I just throw them away and get a new pair after a while.

I like the looks of the Nike knee pads in the link you provided - I'll have
to try them. Now I'm using neoprene Ace sleeves for my knees, and stuff a
1/4" thick piece of dense foam pad over the knee area. The compression and
warmth of the Ace sleeve feel good when you're starting out on a cold
morning, but unfortunately it becomes saturated with perspiration about an
hour into a session. When that happens, your trouser knees soak through. I
just tell people I fall onto my knees a lot.

I've never found a need for padding around my hips, although once I did
manage a nasty tailbone injury. That kept me from the ice (and from being
seated) for a week or so. That was a few years ago, and I haven't injured
myself in the hips since.

Now watch something unfortunate happen next week...

Bill Schneider