26 Sep 2003 13:04:15
Isiafs5
Too much skating?

Have you ever skated too much?

To elaborate, have you ever skated too much in a given week and caused yourself
an overuse injury?

Sling Skate

My recommended reading for body fat control:
http://www.geocities.com/~slopitch/drsquat/fredzig.htm

26 Sep 2003 17:18:59
janet swan hill
Re: Too much skating?

>To elaborate, have you ever skated too much in a given week and caused
>yourself
>an overuse injury?

Too much in a weekend (10 hours on the ice and five hours off) ....... plantar
fasciitis that took 5 months to get rid of.

janet

26 Sep 2003 12:03:08
W Letendre
Re: Too much skating?

isiafs5@aol.com (Isiafs5) wrote in message news:<20030926090415.04538.00000193@mb-m23.aol.com >...
> Have you ever skated too much?
>
> To elaborate, have you ever skated too much in a given week and caused yourself
> an overuse injury?
>

> Sling Skate

Record for skating in one week only about 14 hours, total. No overuse
injuries, but, a few "disgruntled spouse" bruises....

W Letendre

25 Sep 2003 22:11:10
The Walsh Family
Re: Too much skating?

mine was much more subtle: I was skating 10.5 hours a week, lifting 3 hours
a week aerobics 3 hr a week, spinning and yoga 1 hr a week each for the last
6 weeks with our new "empty nest" syndrome. Great, right? Funny thing
though, the harder I tried, the worse I skated. Classic overtraining
syndrome. Backed off for 2 weeks and doing lots better.
Lyle

"Isiafs5" <isiafs5@aol.com > wrote in message
> Have you ever skated too much?
>
> To elaborate, have you ever skated too much in a given week and caused
yourself
> an overuse injury?
>

> Sling Skate
>
> My recommended reading for body fat control:
> http://www.geocities.com/~slopitch/drsquat/fredzig.htm

27 Sep 2003 17:28:53
Elizabeth Shack
Re: Too much skating?

On 26 Sep 2003 13:04:15 GMT, isiafs5@aol.com (Isiafs5) wrote:

>Have you ever skated too much?
>
>To elaborate, have you ever skated too much in a given week and caused yourself
>an overuse injury?

Only in the sense of skating too much in new boots. Feet hurt but not
damaged.

But then I only have a few hours to skate a week, so it's unlikely I
could find the time to overdo it, alas.

--
Elizabeth Shack eashack at earthlink dot ent
Fiction & Skating not-blogs at

27 Sep 2003 18:43:32
Fiona McQuarrie
Re: Too much skating?

Isiafs5 <isiafs5@aol.com > wrote:
: Have you ever skated too much?

: To elaborate, have you ever skated too much in a given week and caused yourself
: an overuse injury?

Not so much in a given week, but doing the same thing over and over in a
given week. When I was trying to get 3 revs in the backspin for the ISI
FS3 test, I spent a whole week of freeskates doing nothing much more than
backspins (of a sort). The result was a painful muscle pull in my
right upper thigh from trying to control the change of feet. This was,
incidentally, during the Nagano Olympics, and
when I watched Elvis Stojko (who was skating with a groin pull) go into a
sit spin, grimace, and struggle to get the free leg into position, I ached
(literally) in sympathy.

Fiona