23 Oct 2004 02:09:16
Isiafs5
Senior MIF Quick Turns

Hey I got those Senior MIF Quick Turns aka inside open and closed mohawks in
combination so you travel while you spin. Feels cool and looks cool in video.
My Russian instructor has always used these as an introductory skill rather
than some sort of elite big deal.

Stuff I learned, mostly from my instructor:

- first, to get rid of any skids, I learned to sink well on each edge. This was
a problem for a real long time for me.

- the next stepping stone was to make sure that I got my weight from the back
inside edge back to the forward inside edge

- a trick my instructor had me practice was a kind of T step from the BI to the
FI. I actually put the instep of my FI next to the toe of my BI edge. A sorta
cheat, but it got me bringing the edge around better and fell into place
eventually.

- My instructor then had me emphasize a sink and even beat for each step

- Somehow after a layoff I tried these and they just clicked. I learned that
it is important to quickly shift you wait and step to the other foot. If you
do this fast enough, you don't spiral inward as much.

- Next, as I have gained speed, I see why my instructor wants me to do this in
a partial squat. The quick transfers of weight can be a bit tipsy feeling.
Also, I have learned to make sure that I go in with good posture and zero
slouch.

Sling Skate

My recommended reading for body fat control:
http://www.geocities.com/~slopitch/drsquat/fredzig.htm

01 Nov 2004 17:59:39
johns
Re: Senior MIF Quick Turns

> Also, I have learned to make sure that I go in with good posture and zero
> slouch.

Same here. Coach is beating on that over and over. I
just now understand your post on this point. I tend to
spiral inward too. I think todate, I have come out straight
on line with the entry edge once or twice in my life ...
after 100s of tries. She is emphasizing not to lead with
the arms, but to put the arms to or near the check point
first, and then do the move in the body with good
straight posture. It is the leading arms which cause the
spiral in. Amazingly hard to stop doing too. I have an
intelligent coach. She goes right to the fine point I need
to correct.

johns

02 Nov 2004 14:52:21
Mrs Redboots
Re: Senior MIF Quick Turns

johns wrote to rec.sport.skating.ice.recreational on Mon, 1 Nov 2004:

> I have an
>intelligent coach. She goes right to the fine point I need
>to correct.

This from the man who doesn't believe in lessons.......
--
"Mrs Redboots" mailto:annabel@amsmyth.demon.co.uk
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

02 Nov 2004 18:30:59
johns
Re: Senior MIF Quick Turns

> This from the man who doesn't believe in lessons.......

I believe in lessons. I don't believe in kidstuff. I would say that
99 of 100 coaches treat older adults like they are physically
retarded, and simply do not try to teach them as if they were
capable of learning much. You have no idea how many times
I've simply stood there on the ice while my "coach" went off
and worked with a kid, telling me to, " just keep trying it, and
I'll check on you once in a while." Hey, I understand perfectly
that female coaches have an instinct to nurture kids, and that
I simply don't fit into their life-plans. I'm an old guy. Where do
I come off wanting to learn figure skating moves ?? When I
try to tell people, it is exercise and recreation, they give me
this blank look. What do adults need with exercise and
recreation? We are workhogs and garbage men so the
pretty people can live in play-heaven. Over the last 5 years,
I have lost 3 adult friends who were out jogging along the
road behind my house. One minute they were enjoying a
spring day, the next they were dead. I attended the funeral
of a Professors wife a few years ago. She was out riding
her bicycle, and a car came along and killed her. She
should have been skating in a safe place, and today raising
her children. But no! Adults don't deserve a place for
exercise and recreation. Let them go play in the street.
Trix are for kids. How do we rate?

johns

05 Nov 2004 16:31:40
Sharon
Re: Senior MIF Quick Turns

"johns" <johns123xxx@moscow.comxxx > wrote in message news:<cm9g1r$4t2$1@news.fsr.net>...
> I believe in lessons. I don't believe in kidstuff. I would say that
> 99 of 100 coaches treat older adults like they are physically
> retarded, and simply do not try to teach them as if they were
> capable of learning much.

I guess the paucity of adult-friendly coaches at John's rink is
because all the nice ones have been siphoned off and are working in
Maine. And England. And Colorado. And Chicago. And (fill in your
rink here). :-).

> You have no idea how many times
> I've simply stood there on the ice while my "coach" went off
> and worked with a kid, telling me to, " just keep trying it, and
> I'll check on you once in a while."

If this happened during the time I was paying a coach for, they would
not get paid.

If it's during a time when I'm not paying them, then I wouldn't call
that a coaching issue, but rather a situation of, who gets free tips
while on the ice with other skaters? And for what reasons and via
what set of ties (friendship, concern, generosity, schmoozing with the
next Olympic champion...). But at that point don't blame it on
coaching.

> Hey, I understand perfectly
> that female coaches have an instinct to nurture kids, and that
> I simply don't fit into their life-plans. I'm an old guy.

Self-fulfilling prophecy? Based on inaccurate stereotypes?

Hey, I've never met the people at your rink, so maybe your local rink
is in fact a unique hotbed of skating disfunctionalism run by divas
with run-amok maternal instincts. (I *can* actually imagine that this
might be the case, mostly based on some extraodinarily annoying
experiences I had once at a ballroom dance studio.)

Not every rink or skating community is like that though.

I will say that the three rinks in my area have different flavors, and
one of them turned out to be easiest to find an adult-friendly quality
skating environment I really like. At the others I think it would
have taken a lot more work to find something that really nurtured my
skating; the adult classes were in fact given a lot less attention or
quality than the kid classes. I'm glad I had several rinks to choose
from until I found one that really works for me.

> Where do
> I come off wanting to learn figure skating moves ?? When I
> try to tell people, it is exercise and recreation, they give me
> this blank look.

It is exercise and recreation, but not *only* that to everyone. In
Maine, you would not get a blank look for asserting the exercise and
recreation. You *would* get a blank look if you spent a lot of time
asserting that all the other things some skaters do -- the whole
competition, dressed-up thing -- are stupid garbage. You won't win
friends or cooperation by dissing others' interests.

It sounds like the coach you're hooked up with now is working well for
you -- I'm glad of that.

__Sharon