26 Sep 2003 15:20:55
W Letendre
Round & Round with New Boots & Blades

Thought I had found edges pretty well on new skates. Coach, however,
wasn't at all impressed. She shook her head, said, "I don't like what
I'm seeing here!" and sent me back to skate shop to have blades
adjusted. Told by her other students that this is commonplace. Chief
techs at skate shop are her husband and son, so, feedback from coach
to shop is pretty tight...

Had blades trimmed a bit in yaw, on Tuesday. Helped some, but, still
having the lousiest time getting up on either outside edge on right
skate. In fact, balance and control on right side just not up to par,
on turns, glides, edges, anything. Left side, OTOH, seems OK.

So, took skates into machine shop at work, put them up on a precision
granite flat, clamped them onto machinist's square, checked edges with
0.0001" dial indicator.

Wouldn't you know! Left blade, inside and outside edges track to
within 0.0015" height, heel to toe. Right blade, inside edge is 0.003"
high at heel, outside edge is 0.0045" high at toe. Hollow has a
"corkscrew" roll! Damn! I've got bruises on both elbows and up and
down one side from that damned "corkscrew" blade!

***Sigh*** Back to skate shop tomorrow, see if I can get those blades
buzzed up right, before heading off to Nashoba Valley rink for
Saturday Night session....

W Letendre

26 Sep 2003 16:55:39
johns
Re: Round & Round with New Boots & Blades

Yep. That is a hand held quickie sharpening by the hockey "pro". I was
standing outside a local Pro
shop last weekend watching a guy sharpen some
hockey blades. The sparks were flying 6 or 7 feet
at least, and he was moving the blade kind of like
sweeping dirt. That was a ruined blade right there.

johns

26 Sep 2003 22:56:16
Blazebuster
Re: Round & Round with New Boots & Blades

lets not always blame the hockey guy! In our area it was the zamboni driver
who burnt through the blades... and he was a figure skater on the Am. tour
in his younger days.. some people just don't have an eye for buzzing
blades.. when you finally find a good skatesharpener.. stay with them your
blades will always be fine tuned..
"johns" <johnsxxx@mudhole.comxx > wrote in message
> Yep. That is a hand held quickie sharpening by the hockey "pro". I was
> standing outside a local Pro
> shop last weekend watching a guy sharpen some
> hockey blades. The sparks were flying 6 or 7 feet
> at least, and he was moving the blade kind of like
> sweeping dirt. That was a ruined blade right there.
>
> johns

27 Sep 2003 12:03:15
Jeanne
Re: Round & Round with New Boots & Blades

I switched to a different person for sharpenings last month. My new skate
sharpener didn't charge me for my first sharpening with him, he wanted me to
test my blades and then let him know how they felt. They felt great but I was
losing my grip on perimeter stroking, even with a new sharpening. I need a
slightly deeper groove but not too deep. Anyways, it's great to hand over my
skates to someone who not only knows what they are doing, but cares.

I thought good hair stylists were hard to find, the skate sharpening ordeal is
even tougher. I prefer dealing with the individual freelancer/contractor vs a
skate shop.

Jeanne

27 Sep 2003 18:50:48
W Letendre
Re: Round & Round with New Boots & Blades

Oddly enough, these edges were sharpened on a proper machine. But, blade
clamp was leveled by "eyeball" rather than using an indicator probe.
Blade wasn't quite parallel to surface of bench, or to normal plane of
grinding wheel spindle axis. Had them regrind; we'll see how they feel
tonight!

W Letendre